Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Slab is mid tier.

She's really hard to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

She doesn't have an accent

Best reason not to use Shadow Labrys given.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

404GoonNotFound posted:

But she isn't Elizabeth :confused:

as long as you never ever get hit elizabeth is S tier :shepface:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

darealkooky posted:

Is it just me, or is shadow labrys far and away the worst character?

It's just you.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I've seen rogueyoshi from time to time in PSN ranked, play him if you want to see some cool Shadow Labrys poo poo.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Playing Mitsuru with Mitsuru Navigating: Insane, or brilliant?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Playing Mitsuru with Mitsuru Navigating: Insane, or brilliant?

Dumb, Mitsuru navigator is not fun at all and doesn't even talk enough to warrant using her (and she's a jerk!) :mad:

Yosuke with Yosuke Navigator, however, is the best thing.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Emalde posted:

Dumb, Mitsuru navigator is not fun at all and doesn't even talk enough to warrant using her (and she's a jerk!) :mad:

Yeah, I ended up going with Fuuka because A) :effort: & B) the psychological factor of driving people into a foaming rage with P3 PTSD memories.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

darealkooky posted:

as long as you never ever get hit elizabeth is S tier :shepface:

Who needs HP when you have instant kills (that take forever to come out)?

Loving Elizabeth despite her super low HP. She has so many shenanigans that it's great, although I wish her persona was a bit harder to break. Mitsuru is the absolute worst to fight as liz since her pokes beat everything.

That's why I'm practicing her on the side. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em :shepface:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Been playing through Story Mode. Got to Yu's cliffhanger last night, then spent today working my way through Teddie and Aigis so that I could unlock Labrys and finish off Yu's.

Holy poo poo, Labrys's Story Mode is the most :negative: :smithicide: thing ever.

On a more lighthearted note, regarding silly titles, unfortunately the best I can come up with the words I have available is Pulse Pounding Devil Summoner Ms. Toriumi. I need to play more online.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

W.T. Fits posted:

Been playing through Story Mode. Got to Yu's cliffhanger last night, then spent today working my way through Teddie and Aigis so that I could unlock Labrys and finish off Yu's.

Holy poo poo, Labrys's Story Mode is the most :negative: :smithicide: thing ever.

On a more lighthearted note, regarding silly titles, unfortunately the best I can come up with the words I have available is Pulse Pounding Devil Summoner Ms. Toriumi. I need to play more online.

They seem to just unlock as you do whatever. I spent a few hours in story mode and unlocked a ton, but 20 matches online only got a few

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

Who needs HP when you have instant kills (that take forever to come out)?

you can actually combo into the instant kill if the following happen:

- You are pretty close to the corner with your back to it
- You hit them with EX firewall while they are in fear
- You have 100 meter and a burst

that'll never, ever happen but you CAN do combos that do over 7000 damage by doing stuff -> crouching C -> B ice (mind charge here if you aren't in awakening with 100 meter) -> AoA -> OMC -> ghastly wail

quote:

She has so many shenanigans that it's great, although I wish her persona was a bit harder to break.
how2thantos: after standing C you have four options

- If they're honest, grab them with standing D into 4k+ damage
- If they disrespect you or start trying to hit thantos out of the grab, crouching C dinosaur roar into 4k+ damage
- If they start jumping you can go into another standing C and if that hits do 4k+ damage, otherwise pick something else on this list
- If you just wanna play it safe and not gamble your primers for big money and big prizes you can cancel into tornado and he'll teleport back to you and you'll be both at neutral again.

also, A version of the laser comes out fast but has a long recovery, B version is the opposite and EX version is the best of both

quote:

Mitsuru is the absolute worst to fight as liz since her pokes beat everything.

this I have no real advice besides "run away and try and poke her for 20 seconds at a time" and "pick someone else, this is your absolute worst matchup oh my god"

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
You can also do jumping c after standing c which'll make thanatos block strings a bit safer. I actually never thought of using garudyne to return to neutral, although if your opponent is especially fast they can punish you on landing.

Against most people though it seems they can poke thanatos out of crouching c before the armor kicks in. Maybe I'm not canceling into it fast enough.

The only thing I really don't like is that her instant kill areas vanish upon blocking. I can understand on hit, but it seems odd that it can be stuffed by getting hit with anything.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The actual answer is to guess DP with Elizabeth at start of the round. If Mitsuru hits 5A, you beat it and have some momentum to try to win the matchup.

If she doesn't hit 5A, then you eat a fat damage combo and lose.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Jesus. Just lost to a Naoto basically because I didn't know that in her super where she charges forward with her gun, the kick's hitbox extends behind her.

-Alright I've found my first legitimate complaint: Stats screen isn't deep enough. I really wanna know what my record against each character is.

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 14, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Emalde posted:

This is how I roll. Mainly because Yosuke is the best character, also because lots of people hate Yosuke so it annoys the poo poo out of them. Win-win for me (unless I lose).

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

You can also do jumping c after standing c which'll make thanatos block strings a bit safer.

quote:

This actually works? I couldn't get it to happen.

[quote]I actually never thought of using garudyne to return to neutral, although if your opponent is especially fast they can punish you on landing.
Not if you use the EX version that lets you act again in the air

[quote]Against most people though it seems they can poke thanatos out of crouching c before the armor kicks in. Maybe I'm not canceling into it fast enough.
Mitsuru can beat it out :argh: but from what I've seen nobody else can.

quote:

The only thing I really don't like is that her instant kill areas vanish upon blocking. I can understand on hit, but it seems odd that it can be stuffed by getting hit with anything.
This is probably so you if you are really good at blocking you can't just hide inside the field, elizabeth has all sorts of little "if this didn't exist this character would be retarded" touches, like how her guard break is completely useless.

I guess you might be able to put the ground trap in-between you and the other person in some matchups as and have it not be completely useless?

quote:

Does this actually change what they say?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

darealkooky posted:

Does this actually change what they say?

No, but it makes him sound like a huge rear end in a top hat because he references "I" and "We" fairly often.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Meme Emulator posted:

They seem to just unlock as you do whatever. I spent a few hours in story mode and unlocked a ton, but 20 matches online only got a few

Yeah, I've been doing Story Mode all day and hadn't unlocked anything. I just now got done playing and watching some matches online (I even managed to win one! :woop:) and unlocked a whole bunch of words.

I'm now an Up-and-Coming Tsundere Devil Summoner.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm now Rock N Roll Thor EXTREEEEEEME!

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

cronox2 posted:

Jesus. Just lost to a Naoto basically because I didn't know that in her super where she charges forward with her gun, the kick's hitbox extends behind her.

Naoto.... HOUTENJIN!!!

I've caught so many people off-guard with that kick :getin:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Emalde posted:

No, but it makes him sound like a huge rear end in a top hat because he references "I" and "We" fairly often.

I'm not sure I get it, got an example?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
WOW. I've been playing the game in Story and Arcade mode on Easy to get the hang of things, and I'm only just now actually starting to do well on that difficulty setting- but then I went to try Score Attack, which apparently isn't linked to the difficulty setting. I can barely even get one hit in on the enemy. :negative: There goes all of that self confidence I built up.

Is Spectate on network mode a pretty good way to see how other people measure up? I'm confident I'm better than a total newbie because I try to integrate furious actions, throws, and the other gameplay tactics, but I still don't feel like I could hold my own against an expert.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So why does Labrys seem less...robotic in personality than Aigis? Because she's been online longer?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Speedball posted:

So why does Labrys seem less...robotic in personality than Aigis? Because she's been online longer?

This is explained in the Labrys story.

Because her personality was based on a real person, while Aigis' was built from the ground-up.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

It's explained in her story mode that technically she's actually been "active" for a shorter amount of time (what with being in stasis for a good 13 years), but her personality is actually based on an existing person instead of grown from scratch like Aigis'. This gives her a much faster development time along with a few other quirks (read: Joisey/Kansai accent), with the downside of a bit of mental instability that thankfully goes away once her Persona fully awakens.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I figured this might be a good place to ask this even if it's slightly off-topic. I'm really interested in this so I thought I'd pick it up, but don't want to spoil the story of P4. On the other hand, I haven't beat P3 FES yet since I burned out when playing it three years ago. I think I'm at level 80 or 90 and as far as I can remember I stopped playing after checking out how many levels I had left. Do I really have long to go before reaching the top, or does something happen that speeds up your process? I'm not keen on getting P4 without beating P3 first, so is there anything I should know before starting on it again? (I'm going to be soooo lost, am I not?)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I figured this might be a good place to ask this even if it's slightly off-topic. I'm really interested in this so I thought I'd pick it up, but don't want to spoil the story of P4. On the other hand, I haven't beat P3 FES yet since I burned out when playing it three years ago. I think I'm at level 80 or 90 and as far as I can remember I stopped playing after checking out how many levels I had left. Do I really have long to go before reaching the top, or does something happen that speeds up your process? I'm not keen on getting P4 without beating P3 first, so is there anything I should know before starting on it again? (I'm going to be soooo lost, am I not?)

Pretty sure you're near the top of P3 then. Check your status in the Judgement Arcana, I think that only levels up as you clear the last top floors.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Speedball posted:

Pretty sure you're near the top of P3 then. Check your status in the Judgement Arcana, I think that only levels up as you clear the last top floors.

Either that or he's at floor 80 or 90, and aren't there like ~250 floors?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

I'm at floor 85 right now in that game myself and...and...:negative:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, I meant floor 80, ugh... Perhaps I should just watch the anime instead. Is it any good? And I heard something about P4 for the Vita? That might solve my problem - I'd much rather play a dungeon crawler like that on the go than in front of the television.

EDIT: I'm NOT replaying P3 on the PSP, though. Screw that.

Any tips on how to get through the game faster?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 14, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, I meant floor 80, Ugh... Perhaps I should just watch the anime instead. Is it any good? And I heard something about P4 for the Vita? That might solve my problem - I'd much rather play a dungeon crawler like that on the go than in front of the television.

Persona 3's anime is a sequel, and while I've never watched, apparently it's terrible. Persona 4 has an anime adaption which is pretty great, and the game got a remake for Vita with a bunch of added content called Persona 4 Golden which comes out in November (in NA).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They did just recently announce a Persona 3 anime movie, though.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Cake Attack posted:

Persona 3's anime is a sequel, and while I've never watched, apparently it's terrible. Persona 4 has an anime adaption which is pretty great, and the game got a remake for Vita with a bunch of added content called Persona 4 Golden which comes out in November (in NA).

Persona 4 Golden comes with :siren: bikes :siren: so it will be the definitive version if you can wait for it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Veev posted:

Persona 4 Golden comes with :siren: bikes :siren: so it will be the definitive version if you can wait for it.

Was running around school/town really annoying in P4 or what? I just watched the Golden trailer and the biggest change seemed to be the ~bikes.

EDIT: Just watched some clips of the P4 anime on Youtube and the "emoticons" got old real fast. They were in the game because it was too much of an effort to actually make the characters emote - that doesn't mean the anime should have them as well!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 14, 2012

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Was running around school/town really annoying in P4 or what? I just watched the Golden trailer and the biggest change seemed to be the ~bikes.

EDIT: Just watched some clips of the P4 anime on Youtube and the "emoticons" got old real fast. They were in the game because it was too much of an effort to actually make the characters emote - that doesn't mean the anime should have them as well!

No, no, moving around town is easy thanks to Square being an instant warp button in Persona 4. Bikes are used in battle and apparently earning the bike license earns you new areas to go to.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

I thought the biggest changes were new plot, new areas and HD graphics.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

axleblaze posted:

I thought the biggest changes were new plot, new areas and HD graphics.

Well sure, but can new plot pop wheelies? That's what I thought. :colbert:

Edit: Also, after finishing Akihiko's story, I can honestly say it's the worst. Just about all his problems are solved by FIGHTING SPIRIT~ and punching

The GIG fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 14, 2012

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

The GIG posted:

Edit: Also, after finishing Akihiko's story, I can honestly say it's the worst. Just about all his problems are solved by FIGHTING SPIRIT~ and punching
So weird, I thought his story was the best for pretty much the exact reason you said it was the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The GIG posted:

Didja see that Shinji? :smug:

• Locked thread