Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

sharkattack posted:

Peanut Dacquoise with Peanut Butter Mousse:

Peanut butter, chocolate, and meringue, you say? I think I may just have found my dream cake.

Is there a recipe I could have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

madlilnerd posted:

Peanut butter, chocolate, and meringue, you say? I think I may just have found my dream cake.

Is there a recipe I could have?

Haha, absolutely: http://www.spachethespatula.com/peanut-dacquoise-with-peanut-butter-mousse-and-chocolate-glaze/

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

sharkattack posted:

Strawberry-Lavender Buckwheat Cake with Lemon Curd:

Any wheat in there? A buddy of mine has gluten intolerance and I wanted to bake him a cake some day.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Sjurygg posted:

Any wheat in there? A buddy of mine has gluten intolerance and I wanted to bake him a cake some day.

Yeah, it's mostly all-purpose flour. But, I imagine you could sub it with any gluten-free baking flour blend (like King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill).

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
My dad's also gluten intolerant, and I'm baking a cake tomorrow.
Mascarpone cheesecake with pistachio and white chocolate for the bottom, and strawberry sause on top.
I will post recipe and pictures!

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Barring any unexpected flashes of inspiration (or reasons to really want to procrastinate some more, I made this when I was supposed to be writing a submission for a conference), this should be my last threadcake for this year

http://www.threadcakes.com/entries/view/1497

That was an absolute motherfucker to make

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Thank you! I know what I'm going to make for my birthday!

Clarabelle you are so skilled. I really want to get better at decorating cakes, but I'm too poor to buy any new equipment right now (e.g an off-set palette knife, icing bags/tips, even a rolling pin and mat) and I find it so hard to be patient with cakes. All that waiting for things to cool, I just want to eat them.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

Thank you! I know what I'm going to make for my birthday!

Clarabelle you are so skilled. I really want to get better at decorating cakes, but I'm too poor to buy any new equipment right now (e.g an off-set palette knife, icing bags/tips, even a rolling pin and mat) and I find it so hard to be patient with cakes. All that waiting for things to cool, I just want to eat them.

That cake was made with very little special equipment, I don't own a palette knife (any knife work here was done with a butter knife or a scalpel), I rarely do piping, but the equipment I have was pretty cheap. A rolling pin is vital, but the one I use is tiny, even for large amounts of fondant. Rather than use a mat, I use greaseproof paper (or a cooking sheet if it's smooth). Fancy equipment helps, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have it.

The thing for me was picking up the actual know-how. I've taken a bunch of cake decorating classes in the last 6 months, and I've come along in leaps and bounds. Hell, even youtube tutorials help.

If you get impatient to eat a cake when practicing, just use a box mix so you won't want to eat it as badly, and if it's a nice cake, remember that there'll always be off-cuts when you're leveling or shaping it, so eat that instead

clarabelle fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 11, 2012

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Does sandwich cake count?

It was my dads 60th birthday last night so we had several sandwich cakes and one regular cake made, in addition to a buncha other stuff. People had been coming and going all day so that's why the two cakes closer are already eaten of in the photo.

One of the sandwhich cakes is based around ham, the other around fish. In the middle is a bog standard cream cake.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
What's the white stuff made of? What did you fill it with?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sorry I didn't make those particular cakes it was my sister so i don't know the details of what went inside aside from what I was able to taste. The glazing is mayo, the main body of the cake is layers of bread, about the thickness of toast, with stuff layered in between them.

I know that in the fish based cake there was tuna and apples and a bunch of other stuff, probably more mayo too. The toppings where eggs, gravlax, shrimp, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
I'll just leave this here

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/08/threadcakes-inside-americas-top-cake-competition/

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sorry I didn't make those particular cakes it was my sister so i don't know the details of what went inside aside from what I was able to taste.

Tell her she did a great job, and thanks for showing those photo's, it looks festive and delicious!!
I hope I'll keep them in mind as inspiration.

vegemitesandwhich
Nov 17, 2005
DiRt-y Girl
I am making cakes for my friend's wedding next weekend, and am wondering if anyone has tips for icing the corners on sheet cakes? I am terrible at corners, and it usually doesn't matter, but since it's wedding cakes, I want them to look nice! Thanks!

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

vegemitesandwhich posted:

I am making cakes for my friend's wedding next weekend, and am wondering if anyone has tips for icing the corners on sheet cakes? I am terrible at corners, and it usually doesn't matter, but since it's wedding cakes, I want them to look nice! Thanks!

What are you icing it with? I'm awful at doing clean corners with buttercream or royal icing, but with fondant, it's kind of a matter of working your way down slowly, stretching the fondant very gently as you go until the creases come out

Or you could just work with the creases and make the cake look like a stack of wrapped wedding gifts, which would look all sorts of awesome

vegemitesandwhich
Nov 17, 2005
DiRt-y Girl
Cream cheese icing, no fondant. I guess I could cover them up with more edging design if they turn out horrible!

Edit: I found this: http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/how-to-frost-a-square-cake

I'm going to try it out, and hopefully it works!

vegemitesandwhich fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 23, 2012

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Made it into Sunday Sweets again: http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2012/8/26/sunday-sweets-threadcakes-take-two.html

vegemitesandwhich
Nov 17, 2005
DiRt-y Girl
Cakes turned out well, I think! Cream cheese icing was way easier to work on the corners than the buttercream, still a pain though. Back to rounds for me!!

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Wilton Fondant can go directly to hell. At the last second, it decided to rip horribly and I had to cover the place up with the text. Sorry, the pictures are unedited. I don't really feel like messing with them right now.

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012
My wife bakes as a hobby. She made this cake for my birthday last year. The pattie is crumbled brownie. The fries are sliced cake pieces. the ketchup is ketchup.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

Justin Sane posted:

My wife bakes as a hobby. She made this cake for my birthday last year. The pattie is crumbled brownie. The fries are sliced cake pieces. the ketchup is ketchup.

Cute cake! The 'ketchup' could've been raspberry coolis or something similar!

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Didn't win anything on threadcakes (although I did get an honourable mention and a gift voucher for having the most entries this year, and three of my cakes made it into at least one judge's top ten). gently caress it, next year I'll get a prize

In other news, I've been teaching myself to make gumpaste shoes

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I've been experimenting with a new cheesecake every month. Last month, it was a Bailey's Irish Cream cheesecake. Before that, it was a key lime recipe. This month, my wife wanted an orange cheesecake with a hint of vanilla.

Nowhere near as artistic as most of the cakes in this thread (and probably not as tasty, either), but I was pleased with the results and thought I'd share them here. I wrote up the entire recipe and process, if anyone wants to read it or improve upon it (I'm always open for suggestions):

http://dementropy.blogspot.com/2012/09/vanilla-orange-cheesecake-with-booze.html

Note: It was not baked on a pizza stone. It was just the nearest thing handy to catch the runoff from the glaze.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Tomorrow is my last day at work and this has been the best summer job I've ever had so I made them a cake to say thank you.

It's 3 layers of egg-based sponge (I don't really know what the proper name is, I used the Japanese Christmas cake recipe, so it's sponge with soft peak eggs), sandwiched with chocolate fudge, and then coffee whipped cream on top. The cream started to separate and look really gross so that's why there's patchy bits.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Generally when cream starts to separate its because you've over whipped and are now making butter. It could also be something acidic that's making it break, or the cream is old.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Yeah, I think I may have over whipped and I think I may have added too much coffee. For comparison, here is a cake I made on Sunday with the exact same topping:

My practice cakes always look better :sigh:

Raaachel
Jul 10, 2010
Just now saw this thread! I make cake as a hobby and here's some of the things I've recently done!

This was a friends wedding cake. They are obsessed with the "Browning" deer logo.

This was a practice cake topper.

A zebra birthday cake!

And just a little practice at gumpaste flowers.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Made this for my brother's very fashion-conscious girlfriend's birthday

Suffice it to say, everyone lost their poo poo when they saw it.

Irritatingly, it still hasn't been eaten, as she doesn't want to cut into it and ruin it. Woman, it is a cake, you OWN the handbag it is based on. Eat it before it goes stale and really is ruined

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
A coworker of mine told me about a cake he'd make as a kid with Koolaid, that you made a standard cake and then poured the Koolaid crystals in the mix. Is that right? Surely you make the Koolaid a liquid and use that instead?

So if you were making a box cake mix, it'd be Koolaid and eggs and half oil amount or something?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Cowslips Warren posted:

A coworker of mine told me about a cake he'd make as a kid with Koolaid, that you made a standard cake and then poured the Koolaid crystals in the mix. Is that right? Surely you make the Koolaid a liquid and use that instead?

So if you were making a box cake mix, it'd be Koolaid and eggs and half oil amount or something?

You just add the kool-aid powder to the boxed cake mix powder and then whatever else the box says you need (eggs, oil, water).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
On a similar note, does anyone have a good Jell-o poke cake recipe they can share?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
How can I make my buttercream icing really really white? I don't want cream coloured stuff any more, and when I make mine from scratch I always end up with that. My ratio is 1g of butter to 1g of icing sugar, with a dash of vanilla extract.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Clear vanilla extract will help with that. You can also use a recipe that uses a high ratio vegetable shortening instead of butter. I don't recall any off the top of my head, other than the one we make at work, but I doubt you need 30 kilos of frosting.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

madlilnerd posted:

How can I make my buttercream icing really really white? I don't want cream coloured stuff any more, and when I make mine from scratch I always end up with that. My ratio is 1g of butter to 1g of icing sugar, with a dash of vanilla extract.

This is a recipe that we've used for ages for decorating (egg white for stiffening, I usually leave it out), I think it was my grandmother's. Anyway, if you don't mind using shortening it comes out pretty white.

½ cup butter
½ cup shortening
1 tsp milk, plus more if needed
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg white (optional)
4 cups powdered sugar

Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar. Add the egg white, vanilla and milk, adding more milk if needed to make frosting the desired consistency. Frosts a typical 2 layer cake (8 or 9 inch layers).

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

madlilnerd posted:

My go-to recipe is a swiss meringue buttercream, and it usually comes out white - probably due to the egg whites. I think that the recipe I use is Martha Stewart; hers looks familiar, anyway, and you can find it here.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Cool, thanks for the recipes. I'm not sure what then UK equivalent of shortening would be, Wikipedia suggested the brand "cookeen" but I've never heard of that. Other online sources have suggested Flora White and Trex, but I've never heard of them either.

That Martha Stewart recipe makes so much icing :stare:

Here's what I made tonight, before begging for recipes:

It's Fresher's Fair tomorrow and the cheer squad wanted some cupcakes to attract this year's talent. Our colours are blue, silver, and white, so I tried to make that but I only had liquid colour instead of gel and it was changing the consistency of the icing pretty badly so I couldn't go the shade I actually wanted. I sprayed them all over with this "edible" silver spray that smelt awful and is probably carcinogenic. Ah well.

Cota Froise
May 12, 2009

Did you really just post that?

madlilnerd posted:

UK equivalent of shortening

It tends to be next to the lard in supermarkets. I use crisp 'n' dry, but I'm told I probably shouldn't. Tastes okay to my unsophisticated palette, though.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
I've definitely seen Cookeen in UK supermarkets. Tesco usually has it. My buttercream recipe is a 2:1 icing sugar: butter mix (with a dash of vanilla), but then replace half the butter with Cookeen. You get a much whiter mix, but it's got a nicer texture than going all-shortening.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

madlilnerd posted:

Wilton's makes a White Color that might work.

For me, I like to get drunk and bake cakes. This was a rainbow cake with buttercream and marshmallow fondant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.
Not a fan of fondant, not at all. But I wanted to whip up a birthday cake for my old man so I compromised and made the cake and frosting by traditional standards but made the decor out of fondant. I had never even touched the stuff before and had no idea what to expect but after some trial and error, we finished it up. We had some luck by rolling out the fondant, putting it in the fridge to stiffen it up to make it easier to cut and handle.

He's really into restoring old Corvettes so we went that route.

• Locked thread