Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
I searched this thread but can't find a good answer for this question. I have an HFS+ formatted external drive that I use with my iMac via FW800. On my Boot Camp partition, my internal HFS+ partition shows up just fine but my external says "F:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." The Boot Camp driver seems to be working just fine (I updated the driver and it says that it's already installed). Is there some trick to this I haven't done? Everything on Google says to install MacDrive or Paragon HFS+ but I have heard some horror stories about those programs eating partitions, plus money is kinda scarce right now. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What's the partition format of both disks?

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
The iMac's main drive has an HFS+ partition for OS X and an NTFS partition for Boot Camp, and the external is also HFS+. But when I fire up the Disk Management thing on Windows 7 it says that the external is RAW.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I have a weird problem, when I use the trackpad to go back a page while in Chrome, it will sometimes randomly pick a word to highlight and then give me the definition of, even though I did nothing to prompt this. I have never had this happen before, and it only started happening after I installed Mountain Lion.

EDIT: I am also using better touch tool to customize what my gestures are, but none are setup to bring up the definitions of words.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Porkchop Express posted:

I have a weird problem, when I use the trackpad to go back a page while in Chrome, it will sometimes randomly pick a word to highlight and then give me the definition of, even though I did nothing to prompt this. I have never had this happen before, and it only started happening after I installed Mountain Lion.

Select a word, and then click it with three fingers. Bam, definition.
EDIT: That is to say, I think this is what you're unintentionally doing.
EDIT 2: Huh, you don't even need to select it. Just 3 finger click it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

The iMac's main drive has an HFS+ partition for OS X and an NTFS partition for Boot Camp, and the external is also HFS+. But when I fire up the Disk Management thing on Windows 7 it says that the external is RAW.
That's the uh, file system format. In Disk Utility it'll show GUID/GUID Partition Table (or GPT) or Apple Partition Map or something down in the lower part of the window when you have a disk selected...I'm not really sure it actually makes a difference, but I'm thinking the latter might not be supported under Windows.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

IUG posted:

Select a word, and then click it with three fingers. Bam, definition.
EDIT: That is to say, I think this is what you're unintentionally doing.
EDIT 2: Huh, you don't even need to select it. Just 3 finger click it.

If I select a word and 3 finger click it then the entire line is highlighted, if I just 3 finger click a word, nothing happens at all.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Anyone else on ML with BTT have this weird bug-ish thing where you can't go back on a page unless you scroll first? It's not a real problem, but it is somewhat irritating to be swiping around and nothing's happening.

Also, whoever linked the DisableExtremeScrollAcceleration thing (sorry, I forget who) is a prince! Although, I'd love it if Apple had included a way to turn that off. Turns out it's different from "inertial scrolling."

That being said, what is inertial scrolling, since turning that off didn't help? Just "scroll faster, and so will the window?"

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Zenostein posted:

That being said, what is inertial scrolling, since turning that off didn't help? Just "scroll faster, and so will the window?"

Intertial scrolling is when you do a flick-scroll (not sure what the proper term is) on a trackpad and the window keeps scrolling for a period depending on how hard/fast you flicked.

Basically, how scrolling on iOS works.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Porkchop Express posted:

If I select a word and 3 finger click it then the entire line is highlighted, if I just 3 finger click a word, nothing happens at all.
Do you have three finger stuff mapped in BTT? I've noticed some little quirkiness between it and the built in functions. Maybe try disabling the three finger tap to define in System Prefs (it was double tap until ML).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I plan to build a file server for my media needs, running Linux. What's a good file system for it, one that both Windows 7 and Mac OS X ML can fully access? Currently NTFS works fine with Paragon NTFS, but I'm annoyed that I have to manually mount the shares in Finder every time I want to access them, especially since I use Path Finder for everything else, but have to change to Finder just to mount the shares. Is this a quirk that will be gone when using a Linux file system?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Decius posted:

I plan to build a file server for my media needs, running Linux. What's a good file system for it, one that both Windows 7 and Mac OS X ML can fully access? Currently NTFS works fine with Paragon NTFS, but I'm annoyed that I have to manually mount the shares in Finder every time I want to access them, especially since I use Path Finder for everything else, but have to change to Finder just to mount the shares. Is this a quirk that will be gone when using a Linux file system?

Best bet is HFS+ with journaling turned off. FAT is one too, but it has the 2GB file restriction. You could also use a FUSE module for exFAT in linux.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The FS on the NAS doesn't matter so much as the protocol you use to access the files (SMB in the case of NTFS).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

evil_bunnY posted:

The FS on the NAS doesn't matter so much as the protocol you use to access the files (SMB in the case of NTFS).

Does this mean if I use Samba it doesn't matter if I, for example, use ext4 as file system, even if Windows and Mac OS aren't able to fully access it, since Samba does the work for them? Or should I still use a file system all three systems can read/write (FAT is out because of the file size limit in any case and it seems all have issues, but HFS+, NTFS, exFAT the least of all).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Decius posted:

Does this mean if I use Samba it doesn't matter if I, for example, use ext4 as file system, even if Windows and Mac OS aren't able to fully access it, since Samba does the work for them? Or should I still use a file system all three systems can read/write (FAT is out because of the file size limit in any case and it seems all have issues, but HFS+, NTFS, exFAT the least of all).
Pretty much, cause they're not seeing the file system format, just the network file sharing protocol. I think generally you're supposed to use the best format for the server since that's what's working with the disk directly (like if it was a Mac server you'd go with HFS, NTFS if it was Windows, etc). If you plan to pull the disk and plug into another OS (like worst case the server dies and you just want to pull files from a Mac or Windows machine) then the disk format would matter more.

There might be some safe file naming scheme to worry about but I think that's pretty minor stuff, like no backslash in Windows and no colons in OS X.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Sounds great, thanks a lot. This makes things a lot easier. If I need to access a disk outside of the file server I can always use a Live-CD/USB Linux on my RMBP or my Windows PCs, so ext4 it is.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Decius posted:

Yes. The local OS never sees the remote filesystem.

x66Shadow66x
Aug 27, 2004

Don't worry, I'm fine. Charlie's fine by the way.
I remember reading here that people were upset that the tap drag lock thing was gone but I've grown to absolutely love the 3 finger drag gesture now. It works on everything. Basically, putting three fingers on the trackpad is a click event and dragging around keeps it in the down position. I know it sounds obvious but for some reason I didn't realize it. Select text, draw in pixelmator, resize/move windows. EVERYTHING! So simple but so usable.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
What's the best way to wipe an MBP that I'm selling/giving away?

I've got it on ML at the moment but obviously that's set to my Apple ID.

I'm looking to just completely erase it ready for the next person to use but while keeping ML rather than going back to the SL it was when I bought it.

Is that possible?

E - Quick Google suggests creating a new Administrator account then deleting my existing. I've no doubt it'll be easy to wipe all my information from the drive (either by wiping the drive completely or another way), I'd just rather be able to keep ML on it if possible so the person I'm giving it to doesn't have to pay the Ł20.

luvd fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 14, 2012

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Boot into the recovery partition (or from a Mountain Lion USB install drive if you made one), wipe your hard drive, and reinstall ML. When it restarts and begins the setup process, shut it down. When the buyer gets it, it'll be like new, setup process and all.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

Boot into the recovery partition (or from a Mountain Lion USB install drive if you made one), wipe your hard drive, and reinstall ML. When it restarts and begins the setup process, shut it down. When the buyer gets it, it'll be like new, setup process and all.

Brilliant thank you, that sounds really easy. "Booting into the recovery partition" is literally just CMD + R while booting, right?

I saw that there was an option to boot from USB, but I don't think I've got a stick to hand with that capacity.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Man, I don't know what it is, but watching Flash in Chrome is nearly unbearable in full screen and after a while my iMac's fans start going nuts if I watch anything long (not in fullscreen but in 720p).

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

a bad poster yall posted:

Brilliant thank you, that sounds really easy. "Booting into the recovery partition" is literally just CMD + R while booting, right?

I saw that there was an option to boot from USB, but I don't think I've got a stick to hand with that capacity.

Command-R, yes. If you don't already have a usb installer on hand it isn't worth your time thinking about it. I just happen to always have one around so I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Edit: When you're in recovery mode wiping the drive (use Disk Utility) you might want to choose the secure erase option (maybe its called zero all data? I don't remember). You dont want some nefarious buyer unerasing your documents (yeah, highly unlikely but why take the chance?).

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 14, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

japtor posted:

Do you have three finger stuff mapped in BTT? I've noticed some little quirkiness between it and the built in functions. Maybe try disabling the three finger tap to define in System Prefs (it was double tap until ML).

Yeah I have 3 finger left scroll for back, and three finger scroll for forward in Chrome, I will try disabling the tap to define, I was looking for it last night but must have missed it.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

Command-R, yes. If you don't already have a usb installer on hand it isn't worth your time thinking about it. I just happen to always have one around so I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Edit: When you're in recovery mode wiping the drive (use Disk Utility) you might want to choose the secure erase option (maybe its called zero all data? I don't remember). You dont want some nefarious buyer unerasing your documents (yeah, highly unlikely but why take the chance?).

Yeah that makes sense. I'm giving it to a friend of mine but yeah why take the risk if they decide to sell it on.

Appreciate the replies, man.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Decius posted:

I was toying with the idea of plugging a drive into my router, which uses ddwrt, and using FUSE and SSHFS to make the files on it available locally and over the Internet. I don't know how well this will actually work, but it's an idea.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Does anyone recall the name of that "nanny" app that messes with your hosts file, etc, in order to take away your access to timewasting websites?

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone recall the name of that "nanny" app that messes with your hosts file, etc, in order to take away your access to timewasting websites?

SelfControl

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Decius posted:

Sounds great, thanks a lot. This makes things a lot easier. If I need to access a disk outside of the file server I can always use a Live-CD/USB Linux on my RMBP or my Windows PCs, so ext4 it is.

I am pretty sure you should be able to install FreeNAS or Open NAS and it will work with all of your operating systems.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I love Notes.app.

It's just so drat convenient.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 14, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Notes.app, wasn't I supposed to be able to tear notes out and use them as Stickies replacements?

I can't seem to drag any notes outside of the app itself.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of Notes.app, wasn't I supposed to be able to tear notes out and use them as Stickies replacements?

I can't seem to drag any notes outside of the app itself.

Double-click on one of them in the list view.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:drat: son, that was easy. Thank you!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is email usually one of the options in Finder's Share button? It won't show up for me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It is. Do you have an account set up in Mail.app?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Things I learned about from this thread today:

— Three finger click=dictionary definition
    — SALR for Chrome :iia:
    — ML's Notifications suck

I think I'm going to cave and buy it today anyway. Dictation and the new German, Spanish and Chinese definition dictionaries are what's reeling me in. And apparently Dictation works with some foreign languages as well, can't wait to try this out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I made a new user account with admin privileges, and then demoted my user account into a normal user and rebooted because it told me to, a couple days ago. Now when I go to the App Store and check Updates, it prompts me for an administrator user account and password.

This is ridiculous because if I were to say make another user account to let someone else use, then they can't sign into their App Store account and download stuff without having me type in the admin account info?

How is the App Store and Apple ID suppose to work anyway—in a multiuser household for example (e.g., a family), is Mom suppose to make a single App Store Account, share the details with Dad so he can download apps from there, and then whenever Son with his own user account wants to download someone, he needs to call for Mom to enter a password? What about couples who share a computer but don't want to share passwords for obvious security reasons?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 15, 2012

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I made a new user account with admin privileges, and then demoted my user account into a normal user and rebooted because it told me to, a couple days ago. Now when I go to the App Store and check Updates, it prompts me for an administrator user account and password.

This is ridiculous because if I were to say make another user account to let someone else use, then they can't sign into their App Store account and download stuff without having me type in the admin account info?

How is the App Store and Apple ID suppose to work anyway—in a multiuser household for example (e.g., a family), is Mom suppose to make a single App Store Account, share the details with Dad so he can download apps from there, and then whenever Son with his own user account wants to download someone, he needs to call for Mom to enter a password? What about couples who share a computer but don't want to share passwords for obvious security reasons?

I guess I don't really get what you're complaining about here? Administrator privileges are needed to do Administrator things e.g. installing software, system updates, and unlocking System Preferences. This is completely separate from the Apple ID that you use to buy and download things from iTunes/App Store.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oneiros posted:

I guess I don't really get what you're complaining about here? Administrator privileges are needed to do Administrator things e.g. installing software, system updates, and unlocking System Preferences. This is completely separate from the Apple ID that you use to buy and download things from iTunes/App Store.

I thought apps bought from the App Store were on a per–user basis? Otherwise say I live with my girlfriend and we both use the same iMac at home. I set up an admin account, then two user accounts for each of us. I'd want to be able to associate my user account with my Apple ID and download and buy apps, and she should be able to do the same thing with her Apple ID. Neither of us should ever need to touch the administrator account just to download Angry Birds or whatever. I'm complaining because right now when I go to the App Store it's prompting me for an administrator account in order to check for updates to apps I bought with the Apple ID on this user account, and I don't think it should.

Note that I have never tried to multiuser my Mac so I don't actually know how this would work in the situation I made up, which is why I also asked how it works in multiuser setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought apps bought from the App Store were on a per–user basis? Otherwise say I live with my girlfriend and we both use the same iMac at home. I set up an admin account, then two user accounts for each of us. I'd want to be able to associate my user account with my Apple ID and download and buy apps, and she should be able to do the same thing with her Apple ID. Neither of us should ever need to touch the administrator account just to download Angry Birds or whatever. I'm complaining because right now when I go to the App Store it's prompting me for an administrator account in order to check for updates to apps I bought with the Apple ID on this user account, and I don't think it should.

Note that I have never tried to multiuser my Mac so I don't actually know how this would work in the situation I made up, which is why I also asked how it works in multiuser setups.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that most App Store apps are on more of a per-machine basis meaning that if one user downloads Angry Birds, all users on that machine can play it because it is installed the the system-wide /Applications directory.

Consequentially, the bit about installing to /Applications is exactly why you need a local administrator's credentials to install anything from the App Store in addition to an Apple ID. Again, Apple IDs and local user accounts are completely separate.

You need administrator privileges to install software on your Mac, full stop. That's how a functioning permissions system works.