Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just hope they remove the ridiculous $2500 cap on fines.

There shouldn't be a cap at all, but if it's impossible to get rid of, at least make it a percentage of the athlete's salary, or maybe calculated off a league average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

I just hope they remove the ridiculous $2500 cap on fines.

There shouldn't be a cap at all, but if it's impossible to get rid of, at least make it a percentage of the athlete's salary, or maybe calculated off a league average.

Agreed. That $2500 fine is chump change for these guys. Make it large enough for them to have to consider their next big luxury purchase.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Playing NHL 12, I just won the Cup with the CBJ and have the Calder Cup Final still to play with the Springfield Falcons. Which brings me to a question I'd never really thought about:

In a situation like this where the NHL team is finished with their season but the AHL Playoffs are still ongoing, would the NHL team send players on two-way deals down (in my CBJ's case, Byers, Atkinson, Johansen, MacKenzie, Giroux, Williams) to provide reinforcements to the farm, give them the summer off, or let the players decide for themselves? Is there something in the CBA, etc. that allows or prevents this from going on?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

CBJSprague24 posted:

Playing NHL 12, I just won the Cup with the CBJ and have the Calder Cup Final still to play with the Springfield Falcons. Which brings me to a question I'd never really thought about :

In a situation like this where the NHL team is finished with their season but the AHL Playoffs are still ongoing, would the NHL team send players on two-way deals down (in my CBJ's case, Byers, Atkinson, Johansen, MacKenzie, Giroux, Williams) to provide reinforcements to the farm, give them the summer off, or let the players decide for themselves? Is there something in the CBA, etc. that allows or prevents this from going on?
http://www.letsgoamerks.com/2012/02/27/information-about-the-deadline-for-ahl-playoff-rosters/

quote:

The NHL trade deadline is today (February 27, 2012) and any moves made can and usually do have some sort of impact on American Hockey League teams but that doesn’t mean moves are over. Teams can still trade players in the AHL and any moves have to be done by the deadline of March 5th at 3pm eastern time which is when clear day rosters are due and usually announced a day or two later. Also, any players in the NHL must be on an AHL roster today February 27 at 3pm to be eligible for inclusion. Corey Tropp was already sent to the Amerks today and we can likely expect Zack Kassian to be sent down as well and then immediately called back up.

What is the clear day roster? According to AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team’s Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remainder of the 2011-12 AHL regular season and in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension.

That still leaves plenty of room to make changes to the roster but it’s done to prevent teams from sending down half of an NHL roster once the season is over. Teams may also add signed draft choices and players signed to amateur tryout contracts, provided that their respective Junior seasons are complete. If a player is called up to the NHL or a player is injured a team can still have someone play that’s not on the 22 man list.

This is all something that generates a lot of confusion this time of year and happens every year, myself included. Will try and send this out earlier than usual next season so we can all be informed!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't think NHL 12 prevents you from sending them down, though.

And it handles waivers wrong. It goes by 2-way deals, which only really deal with compensation (2-way have separate AHL and NHL salaries, 1-way don't. It's why Wade Redden still makes his 20 million a year*--and no escrow!). NHL 12 treats anyone on a 2-way deal as waiver exempt. Really, your waiver eligibility is determined by number of NHL games played + number of NHL seasons (or is it age?). And I think maybe "emergency" vs "regular" call-ups. But I'm not sure on that one.

*not his actual salary

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

since I'm a newb, but a casual fan of the sport, I do have a dumb hypothetical based off the movie "Sudden Death" with Jean Claude Van Damme.

There's two questions I have related to it.

One, the villain in the movie goes "I wonder who they'd give the trophy to if I blew up the arena right now?". Well, who would they give the trophy to?

And two, if the events did transpire, how would the NHL handle playing the rest of OT?

Thanks guys.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Ummm, why? What are you planning to do?

Hey listen, I know we're all frustrated at the potential lockout, but we can talk this out.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

since I'm a newb, but a casual fan of the sport, I do have a dumb hypothetical based off the movie "Sudden Death" with Jean Claude Van Damme.

One, the villain in the movie goes "I wonder who they'd give the trophy to if I blew up the arena right now?". Well, who would they give the trophy to?

And two, if the events did transpire, how would the NHL handle playing the rest of OT?

Thanks guys.

This sorta happened in the 88 Cup Finals. Halfway through game four the power cut out, tied at three. They ended up replaying the whole game two nights later. Not sure if the stats from the abandoned game count towards people's career totals, but Wikipedia would have me believe that a record was set for fastest goal in a Cup Finals, and that that record is official.

I guess that's a little less lethal than your hypothetical Van Damme scenario though, so if an arena blew up and people died? Hard to say, but 'who won the cup' is probably the least of their worries. If nobody died I guess they would replay it, if people died they would probably suspend the series and never settle it.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
based on the physics of the helicopter crash I think it is safe to assume that Sudden Death takes place in an alternate dimension where standard rules of hockey would not necessarily apply

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Zone of Danger posted:

This sorta happened in the 88 Cup Finals. Halfway through game four the power cut out, tied at three. They ended up replaying the whole game two nights later. Not sure if the stats from the abandoned game count towards people's career totals, but Wikipedia would have me believe that a record was set for fastest goal in a Cup Finals, and that that record is official.

I guess that's a little less lethal than your hypothetical Van Damme scenario though, so if an arena blew up and people died? Hard to say, but 'who won the cup' is probably the least of their worries. If nobody died I guess they would replay it, if people died they would probably suspend the series and never settle it.

Thanks! had never known about the 88 Cup, and what transpired there.

I'm not psychotic or anything, just was wondering if there were indeed a precedent for that, or a rule in case such an event took place.

I've grown to really love the game, and in fact just watched the movie as an excuse to watch Mike Lange do play by play.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

based on the physics of the helicopter crash I think it is safe to assume that Sudden Death takes place in an alternate dimension where standard rules of hockey would not necessarily apply

Perhaps. But a critical argument against the physics in a Vandamme movie is like a women's lib argument hosted at the Playboy Mansion.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

FuzzySkinner posted:

Thanks guys.

here's a fairly serious answer:

if the arena was blown up and the teams were killed, i'd imagine they would do something like they did during the cancelled 2004-05 season where the trophy was engraved with SEASON NOT PLAYED, except instead with TROPHY NOT AWARDED. alternatively, they might engrave the trophy with the names of the personnel of both teams.

one thing i can answer for certain is that there IS a contingency plan that exists for a significant portion of any given team dying, and that most professional sports leagues have provisions for this. in the NHL's case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_draft posted:

The National Hockey League (NHL) contingency plan activates if five or more players[1][5] on a team "are killed or disabled."[3] The team would select players from other NHL teams, paying with funds from a special insurance fund. Once its roster has one goaltender and 14 other players, a special draft involving the teams unaffected by the earlier selection could be held, with each team able to protect one goaltender and 10 other players.[1][5]

it's possible that these parameters would have to be shifted in such an extreme circumstance, however.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm not psychotic or anything, just was wondering if there were indeed a precedent for that, or a rule in case such an event took place.

After the '05 lockout, rules were put in place that if an NHL season were lost, minor league teams could challenge for a cup win. Stems from the fact that the NHL doesn't actually own the stanley cup and some of the historical language was interpreted to mean that anyone could play for the cup if they wanted to.

That's the only hard rule I know of that exists to handle the championship if something were to go wrong.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Man, how sweet would it be to be a member of The Whale or some such and win The Cup?

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

xzzy posted:

After the '05 lockout, rules were put in place that if an NHL season were lost, minor league teams could challenge for a cup win. Stems from the fact that the NHL doesn't actually own the stanley cup and some of the historical language was interpreted to mean that anyone could play for the cup if they wanted to.

That's the only hard rule I know of that exists to handle the championship if something were to go wrong.
That's certainly how it used to work, which is how you wound up with things like a team of scrubs from Dawson City playing the Ottawa Silver Seven for the silver chalice at the turn of the last century.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

a false posted:

here's a fairly serious answer:

if the arena was blown up and the teams were killed, i'd imagine they would do something like they did during the cancelled 2004-05 season where the trophy was engraved with SEASON NOT PLAYED, except instead with TROPHY NOT AWARDED. alternatively, they might engrave the trophy with the names of the personnel of both teams.

The 1919 Stanley Cup between Montreal and Seattle was abandoned with the series tied 2-2 due to an outbreak of influenza that resulted in the death of Joe Hall. The cup reads:

quote:

Montreal Canadiens
Seattle Metropolitans
Series Not Completed

I guess it is worth noting that Montreal formally forfeited the series to Seattle and the Metropolitans coach declined the forfeit, but the procedure would probably be the same.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

The 1919 Stanley Cup between Montreal and Seattle was abandoned with the series tied 2-2 due to an outbreak of influenza that resulted in the death of Joe Hall. The cup reads:

I guess it is worth noting that Montreal formally forfeited the series to Seattle and the Metropolitans coach declined the forfeit, but the procedure would probably be the same.

Having just read the history of the Seattle Metropolitans, it's weird that they have a Stanley Cup title, yet have not had a pro team since then.

I'd love to see Seattle get one back and for them to have a rivalry with Vancouver fwiw.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Having just read the history of the Seattle Metropolitans, it's weird that they have a Stanley Cup title, yet have not had a pro team since then.

I'd love to see Seattle get one back and for them to have a rivalry with Vancouver fwiw.

Ring up Seattle's favorite pal, Steve Ballmer, and get him to pay for a new arena.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

myron cope posted:

I don't think NHL 12 prevents you from sending them down, though.

And it handles waivers wrong. It goes by 2-way deals, which only really deal with compensation (2-way have separate AHL and NHL salaries, 1-way don't. It's why Wade Redden still makes his 20 million a year*--and no escrow!). NHL 12 treats anyone on a 2-way deal as waiver exempt. Really, your waiver eligibility is determined by number of NHL games played + number of NHL seasons (or is it age?). And I think maybe "emergency" vs "regular" call-ups. But I'm not sure on that one.

*not his actual salary

Thanks for the info. I figured there was something against allowing eliminated/Cup winning NHL teams to stack the farm. Makes sense.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Ring up Seattle's favorite pal, Steve Ballmer, and get him to pay for a new arena.

Hedge fund billionaire Chris Hanson (not the :pedo: one) is trying this right now and does have Ballmer as part of the group along with the Nordstroms.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/flatpages/sports/othersports/potentialnbanhlarena.html

Apparently there's some guy from Chicago talking with Bellevue, WA about an arena as well.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/hockey/2018783532_hockey27.html

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I was at a hockey game today (English league) and someone got a 2-minute minor for icing... It was announced as "2 minutes for icing infraction" and it wasn't a bench minor (i.e. for illegal change or something) but was called on a player. It's a league with no-touch icing if that's relevant. Anyone have any idea why it was a minor penalty and not just normal icing? Google has failed me.

e: I guess it could have been a bench minor, though it was not announced as such.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 9, 2012

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

toe knee hand posted:

I was at a hockey game today (English league) and someone got a 2-minute minor for icing... It was announced as "2 minutes for icing infraction" and it wasn't a bench minor (i.e. for illegal change or something) but was called on a player. It's a league with no-touch icing if that's relevant. Anyone have any idea why it was a minor penalty and not just normal icing? Google has failed me.

e: I guess it could have been a bench minor, though it was not announced as such.

Did the puck go directly out of play immediately prior to the penalty being called? If so, then someone just screwed up and should have called it a 2 minute minor for delay of game. Were it a bench minor, it is possible that one team had too much man on the ice when the puck was iced, leading to a 2 minute bench minor.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They did try to have icing be a penalty at one of the development camp things didn't they? What a dumb idea. Although they should call it "flagrant icing" and make it a major penalty. Let's see you do it now :colbert:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Hey dudes, anyone have any new questions? I selfishly don't want to make a new thread so this is actually just me bumping the old one before it gets swallowed up.

Questions about the lockout should probably still go to the N/V thread. This is more for general hockey questions. Even though the NHL won't be back until 2015-16, there's still lots of hockey out there.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What are the skills/tools that generally separate a center from a guy who plays on the wing?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

What are the skills/tools that generally separate a center from a guy who plays on the wing?

Centers have significantly more defensive responsibility, for one. Wingers are supposed to stay high and cover the opposing d-men to prevent point shots and keep the offense from going low to high, and to be ready either along the boards or cutting across the defensive zone to receive a breakout pass from someone. The center is responsible for essentially chasing the puck, getting in passing/shooting lanes, and helping his defensemen with covering the slot or winning puck battles in the corners. Centers also take essentially every faceoff in the game, so that's a specific skill that typically sets them apart from wingers. Offensively, the center will more often carry the puck up the middle into the offensive zone and will have the puck more than the wingers. Again, centers don't necessarily have a specific location to be in the offensive zone, while wingers will usually spend most of the time along the half-boards (halfway between the goal line and the blue line, along the side boards) or lower. Offense is much more coach and strategy-dependent, too, so positioning in the offensive zone is often more fluid than it is in the defensive zone.

I hope that's sort of clear and helps explain the difference, at least a bit. There are many people here that are much more knowledgeable about this part of the game than I am, though; hopefully one of them chimes in as well.

EDIT: just saw that you have a cubs-related avatar. Once hockey starts back up, watch some blackhawks games and pay close attention to Jonathan Toews. He's one of the best 2-way centers in the game, so watch for how he plays in the defensive zone. He's phenomenal at coming in for support for his defensemen, and does a fantastic job of covering the parts of the defensive zone that the other 4 guys can't get to. Not to mention he can do some ridiculously amazing things offensively.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 12, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dude I can't get over your avatar. It is legitimately frightening :lol:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This question might be difficult, and if it causes a derail I'd rather retract it than go on with things.

I followed the last lockout closer than I have this one and remember being sort of on the owner's side. What is the general opinion on this one? This is sort of a weird question since I'm just asking for the average dumb guy on the street's argument for both sides, I'm not asking to be convinced.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The general opinion? gently caress the owners and the horse they came in on. Some people say Fehr/the players are to blame too, but I don't subscribe to that. The owners won't fix their own (revenue sharing) problem and want the players to give up money to patch up the hole they've created.

I had a whole post typed up but then when I looked at your post you said you wanted an opinion.

The "average" person? "gently caress the players they make millions of dollars to play a GAME I'd do it for free!!! They should take whatever the owners offer!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Grittybeard posted:

I followed the last lockout closer than I have this one and remember being sort of on the owner's side. What is the general opinion on this one? This is sort of a weird question since I'm just asking for the average dumb guy on the street's argument for both sides, I'm not asking to be convinced.

Last time around things were more considerably out-of-whack with the amount of revenue the players were getting, the gap between the high-spending teams and the poor teams, individual contracts, and league revenues in general.

This time, the league as a whole is much better off but they still want massive cuts to the amount of money the players get.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Thanks, that works. If there's a short version of the owner's side that's more involved than 'gently caress you got mine' I'd be interested in hearing it, but the general thought that there's a lot better balance this time around seems to fit with what I was thinking.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Grittybeard posted:

If there's a short version of the owner's side that's more involved than 'gently caress you got mine' I'd be interested in hearing it
"gently caress you got mine, now bend over pretty boys!"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Grittybeard posted:

Thanks, that works. If there's a short version of the owner's side that's more involved than 'gently caress you got mine' I'd be interested in hearing it, but the general thought that there's a lot better balance this time around seems to fit with what I was thinking.

The NHL (as well as the other three leagues during their lockouts) is represented by Proskauer Rose, a law firm with a wide streak of anti-labour activism and a specialization in creating legal space to use scab labour.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Centers have significantly more defensive responsibility, for one. Wingers are supposed to stay high and cover the opposing d-men to prevent point shots and keep the offense from going low to high, and to be ready either along the boards or cutting across the defensive zone to receive a breakout pass from someone. The center is responsible for essentially chasing the puck, getting in passing/shooting lanes, and helping his defensemen with covering the slot or winning puck battles in the corners. Centers also take essentially every faceoff in the game, so that's a specific skill that typically sets them apart from wingers. Offensively, the center will more often carry the puck up the middle into the offensive zone and will have the puck more than the wingers. Again, centers don't necessarily have a specific location to be in the offensive zone, while wingers will usually spend most of the time along the half-boards (halfway between the goal line and the blue line, along the side boards) or lower. Offense is much more coach and strategy-dependent, too, so positioning in the offensive zone is often more fluid than it is in the defensive zone.

I hope that's sort of clear and helps explain the difference, at least a bit. There are many people here that are much more knowledgeable about this part of the game than I am, though; hopefully one of them chimes in as well.

EDIT: just saw that you have a cubs-related avatar. Once hockey starts back up, watch some blackhawks games and pay close attention to Jonathan Toews. He's one of the best 2-way centers in the game, so watch for how he plays in the defensive zone. He's phenomenal at coming in for support for his defensemen, and does a fantastic job of covering the parts of the defensive zone that the other 4 guys can't get to. Not to mention he can do some ridiculously amazing things offensively.

That'll do. I'll check him out.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

As my luck would have it, this season was to be the season I wouuld broaden my sports horizons from just NFL and MLB to include EPL Football and the NHL!

Soccer has gone great. Did my homework, watched the entire Euro Cup, chose an EPL team, etc...

Hockey? Not so much. :( The lockout has taken the wind out of my sails. The OP is fantastic though and im ready for the season to (hopefully) start. As an Indianapolis native, im going to go with the Chicago Blackhawks. My question is this: Are there any games that are absolutely essential to playing catch-up?

I know the Blackhawks had a period of great success in the 70s with a Stanley Cup a few years back, and I know some of the players, but I need good crash-course resources.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 13, 2012

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Are you just looking to learn famous players or are you going to try to find old games to watch or?

76-77 Montreal or 83-84 Edmonton are two of the most dominant teams ever if you want to check those out. 1999 Game 6 of the finals is both an awesome game to watch if you can find it and will partially explain why Sabres fans are a bitter group.

e: Oh I might have been thrown off by the Blackhawks being good in the 70s comment, are you looking for more recent stuff?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah i'm sorry for being unclear. I'm just wondering what recent big games are must-watch for the Blackhawks or any team in general. You know, those defining games that are good to show to someone new. Last 10 years or so are fine. The Stanley Cup matches go without saying, I've been watching them

Again sorry for being unclear, it's inexplicably harder to find a great jumping off point for the NHL than for English football. For me, anyway.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah i'm sorry for being unclear. I'm just wondering what recent big games are must-watch for the Blackhawks or any team in general. You know, those defining games that are good to show to someone new. Last 10 years or so are fine. The Stanley Cup matches go without saying, I've been watching them

Again sorry for being unclear, it's inexplicably harder to find a great jumping off point for the NHL than for English football. For me, anyway.

I say this as a Canucks fan, but the Vancouver/Chicago rivalry has produced some of the best games and series of the last decade. The two teams faced each other three times in a row in the playoffs during a period where they were arguably the best teams in the West, and it spawned some genuine bad blood. The Hawks won the first two series (including one on the way to a cup in 2010), while Vancouver won the most recent series between the two (in 2011, a year in which Vancouver got to the finals and lost). All of the games are high scoring, fast paced and incredibly violent. Meetings between the two teams in the regular season are hyped up pretty extensively, and the drama that surrounds each of the playoff games is insane.

Plus you get to see Roberto Luongo melt down tragically over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no2fDcNRWeo

This was the most recent playoff game between the two teams. Vancouver was the best team in the regular season by a wide margin that year, and had a 3-0 series lead. The team then collapsed spectacularly and lost 3 in a row to force a game 7 back in Vancouver with the entire city in melt down mode. Vancouver would ultimately win the game in overtime, but it's probably the most exciting playoff game I can remember.

e: added a better highlight package

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 13, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

You could watch Pens/Flyers from the 2012 playoffs for basically the exact opposite of soccer. It was like a basketball game with how much scoring there was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

myron cope posted:

You could watch Pens/Flyers from the 2012 playoffs for basically the exact opposite of soccer. It was like a basketball game with how much scoring there was.

And Marc-Andre Fleury had about the same save percentage as a basketball rim too.

• Locked thread