Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

I apologize for this being vague. I am working with someone else on this, and I don't see everything they are seeing. They were unable to add an interface via command line, so I was trying to do it via ASDM.

Using ASDM, 6.4(3): Configuration -> Device Setup -> Interface.
When I try to add another interface to our ASA 5550, ASA 8.2(5)2, I get this error:

"You cannot have more than 3 named VLANs in your system."

Well, we already have *5* named VLANs that are working just fine. I just want a few more (four, actually). My co-worker is getting an error on the command line as well (I didn't get to see it).
Anyone have any idea where we can start looking for a cause of this possible artificial error?
I am so not qualified to answer, but on my asa 5505 the base license restricts number of vlans, could your license have expired?
Wouldn't be the first time i've had something do this..
**edit
Don't know what differs betwen 5505 and 5550, also do not know anything about vlans and what a named vlan is. Just wanted to suggest something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Xenomorph posted:

I apologize for this being vague. I am working with someone else on this, and I don't see everything they are seeing. They were unable to add an interface via command line, so I was trying to do it via ASDM.

Using ASDM, 6.4(3): Configuration -> Device Setup -> Interface.
When I try to add another interface to our ASA 5550, ASA 8.2(5)2, I get this error:

"You cannot have more than 3 named VLANs in your system."

Well, we already have *5* named VLANs that are working just fine. I just want a few more (four, actually). My co-worker is getting an error on the command line as well (I didn't get to see it).
Anyone have any idea where we can start looking for a cause of this possible artificial error?

do a sh ver and find these lines.

Licensed features for this platform:
Maximum Physical Interfaces : Unlimited perpetual
Maximum VLANs : 150 perpetual

bort
Mar 13, 2003

jwh posted:

Is it true, in this year of our Lord, 2012, that you cannot drop a shell session directly into priv 15 on an ASA?
It looks like you're trying to use ASDM. Would you like help?
  • Launch ASDM
  • Grit your teeth and type "enable" like a plebe.
[ ] Don't show this tip again

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Martytoof posted:

Hey, speaking of the Nexus, can you game the system and install multiple 60 day trials after they expire? I want to pick up some experience but there's no way I can do it in 60 days since I'm all over the place right now.

You can actually! Just keep redoing the install from scratch and yeah it'll keep regenerating demo licenses. Don't recall having to need to flatten vcenter or the esxi hosts. Pretty sure you don't have to.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

do a sh ver and find these lines.

Licensed features for this platform:

It tells me "Licensed features for this user context:".

We figured it out;

* I could not add interfaces because my access level doesn't permit that (it's a shared firewall that I do not own).
* The other user (who does have access) wasn't typing the command right.
* The "You cannot have more than 3 named VLANs in your system." error only happens in ASDM (possible bug?). I could set VLAN names (unlimited) just fine from the command line.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This is not a Cisco question, but this seems to be the only enterprise networking thread.

We use rancid to back up the config of our backbone devices (all Cisco) and it works very well. We now need something to back up the config of our edge switches but I'm told that it doesn't work with Dell or HP (how about Brocade?).

Does anyone know of a solution for backing up the config of Dell/HP/Brocade devices?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
RANCID backs up all sorts of things. I'm pretty sure those are all supported. Check out 'hrancid' and 'brancid'.

Edit: brancid is baynet. francid is brocade (foundry). srancid is dell (SMC). http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/CHANGES

falz fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 16, 2012

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Anjow posted:

This is not a Cisco question, but this seems to be the only enterprise networking thread.

We use rancid to back up the config of our backbone devices (all Cisco) and it works very well. We now need something to back up the config of our edge switches but I'm told that it doesn't work with Dell or HP (how about Brocade?).

Does anyone know of a solution for backing up the config of Dell/HP/Brocade devices?

The rancid site will have scripts for most network devices, as users have created them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

1000101 posted:

You can actually! Just keep redoing the install from scratch and yeah it'll keep regenerating demo licenses. Don't recall having to need to flatten vcenter or the esxi hosts. Pretty sure you don't have to.

Thank christ for that.

Thanks! I'll probably end up doing that at some point soon then.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I am looking at the QOS config on an MPLS router and I've never been more confused. I had a few questions:

1. When bandwidth percentages are used, what happens to traffic that doesn't fall into any of those access groups?

2. The DSCP tags come from a VOIP phone system. How do these two policies interact with each other given that one is applied to the interface facing the core and the other applied to the DS3 serial interface?

3. Is this as broken as I suspect it is? My replication traffic is falling behind while the circuit sits at 40% util, and I suspect this may be why. It comes from a subnet not covered in the policy.

There are Riverbed Steelheads between the core and this router, if it matters. The circuit is 45mbit on both sides with a ~65ms latency.

code:
class-map match-any P1
 match access-group 150
class-map match-any P2
 match access-group 140
class-map match-any P3
 match access-group 130
 match access-group 120
class-map match-any P4
 match access-group 110

class-map match-all P1_Out
 match ip dscp cs5  ef
 match  precedence 5
class-map match-all P3_Out
 match ip dscp cs2  af21  af22  af23  cs3  af31  af32  af33
 match  precedence 2  3
class-map match-all P2_Out
 match ip dscp cs4  af41  af42  af43
 match  precedence 4  6  7
class-map match-all P4_Out
 match ip dscp af11  af12  af13
 match  precedence 0  1
!
!
policy-map Output_QoS
 class P1_Out
    priority percent 40
 class P2_Out
    bandwidth percent 20
 class P3_Out
    bandwidth percent 20
 class P4_Out
    bandwidth percent 10
policy-map DSCP_Marking
 class P1
  set dscp ef
 class P2
  set dscp af41
 class P3
  set dscp af31
 class P4
  set dscp af11
!

access-list 110 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 110 permit ip 192.168.3.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 110 permit ip 192.168.4.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 110 permit ip 192.168.6.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 120 permit ip 192.168.5.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 120 permit ip host 192.168.1.194 any
access-list 130 permit ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 130 permit ip 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 140 permit ip host 192.168.1.25 any
access-list 140 permit ip host 192.168.1.18 any
access-list 140 permit ip host 192.168.1.28 any
access-list 140 permit ip host 192.168.1.24 any
access-list 140 permit ip host 192.168.1.22 any
access-list 150 permit ip 192.168.7.0 0.0.0.255 any

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 description To Core
 ip address 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0
 ip flow ingress
 duplex full
 speed auto
 media-type rj45
 no negotiation auto
 service-policy input DSCP_Marking

interface Serial1/0
 description DS3
 bandwidth 45000
 ip address mpl.sip.add.ress 255.255.255.252
 ip flow egress
 dsu bandwidth 44210
 framing c-bit
 cablelength 150
 serial restart-delay 0
 service-policy output Output_QoS

KS fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 16, 2012

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

KS posted:

I am looking at the QOS config on an MPLS router and I've never been more confused. I had a few questions:

1. When bandwidth percentages are used, what happens to traffic that doesn't fall into any of those access groups? First in, first out. It gets treated like a normal packet. Edit: Usually there will be a "default class" for untagged traffic where you can explicitly set tags and bandwidth allotments but you don't have it configured.

2. The DSCP tags come from a VOIP phone system. How do these two policies interact with each other given that one is applied to the interface facing the core and the other applied to the DS3 serial interface? Packets destined for the MPLS match whatever priority bit they have set and placed into their QoS bandwidth allotment, incoming the priority bit is set based on the access-list, so for example any traffic from MPLS matching ACL 150 will be tagged with an ef bit.

3. Is this as broken as I suspect it is? My replication traffic is falling behind while the circuit sits at 40% util, and I suspect this may be why. It comes from a subnet not covered in the policy. See above, FIFO.

Your MPLs config is usually done if your don't have CAR with your MPLS provider, CAR lets you just send tagged priority traffic to them and they won't strip it out.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 16, 2012

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

What network is your replication traffic coming from? Source IP?

Those configs don't look too bad, although i would expect a "max-reserved-bandwidth 100" on ser1/0, based on the way that policy-map is built.

Really the only thing I would improve upon would be to use GTS in an embedded policy for shaping, but that's more an academic point than anything else.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

jwh posted:

What network is your replication traffic coming from? Source IP?

172.31.0.0/24 and 172.31.8.0/24

Thanks for the check up. I know the four priority queues are shared with our MPLS provider (Qwest/Centurylink). I will have to get the details.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
Any recommendations to blocking out traffic from China on an ASA other than just creating an object group with over 2000+ lines in it? The data center provider won't do it on their end because we're on a shared core switch, so my first device in line would be my ASA pair.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Look through the APNIC allocations, I'm sure it will be less then 2000 lines.

However, what is it you are trying to accomplish? There's plenty of run of the mill virus / scanning crap that comes out of China. But if you're trying to block a Chinese APT group, dropping Chinese IP space is of no help. Those groups have virtualized their attack machines and they move them around between various hosted providers all over the world all the time.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

inignot posted:

Look through the APNIC allocations, I'm sure it will be less then 2000 lines.

However, what is it you are trying to accomplish? There's plenty of run of the mill virus / scanning crap that comes out of China. But if you're trying to block a Chinese APT group, dropping Chinese IP space is of no help. Those groups have virtualized their attack machines and they move them around between various hosted providers all over the world all the time.

Every 3-4 months we get hit with a DDOS batch, most of it resolves either to China or Russia. I've tossed some stuff into our htaccess files to stop it at the server, but I'd like to just reject it outright so I don't get panicked called when I'm eating dinner that our website is down (when no one really goes to it anyway). I know it's sort of the whack-a-mole game, but knocking out some of the connections would mean I have to stop giving extra resources to a VM's that doesn't need them except for these sporadic events.

And it's not under 2000 lines once you toss in a few other choice countries that we don't have or need a presence in.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
The DDoS is using http?

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

falz posted:

The DDoS is using http?

I'm seeing lots of foreign IP's hitting pages in rapid succession. So it might just be a bot farm going to town looking for vulnerabilities. Putting the blocks in the access file though has at least dropped the number of active connections that the server was dealing with during the peak of traffic.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Harry Totterbottom posted:

And it's not under 2000 lines once you toss in a few other choice countries that we don't have or need a presence in.
My China drop list has 1400 entries. Another alternative is to white list say, US addresses and block everything else if your customers are all in the US?

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

buffers, buffers buffers

Seem my colleagues at my old/new job thought a 3750-X stack would be a-ok for a EMC iSCSI (10Gb).

Seems not (not surprised at all)

I've tuned the buffers etc but now it's time to look at new switches

I know ideally it would be a 4948 or a N5K but I don't know if budget will stretch.

Any other alternatives? I thought brocade had a switch with 240+mb of buffers but cannot figure out which one it was. Dell have a nice one but at 31K might be a bit high.

Suggestions?

And I wasted a couple of hours troubleshooting a issue then looked at the docs and found that that vlan was never going to work for testing :sigh:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What is your budget? Typically I would recommend a pair of 5010's. You can get them a lot cheaper than MSRP but you gotta work at it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We got our pair of n5k switches for around $35k.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

nzspambot posted:

buffers, buffers buffers

Seem my colleagues at my old/new job thought a 3750-X stack would be a-ok for a EMC iSCSI (10Gb).

Seems not (not surprised at all)

I've tuned the buffers etc but now it's time to look at new switches

I know ideally it would be a 4948 or a N5K but I don't know if budget will stretch.

Any other alternatives? I thought brocade had a switch with 240+mb of buffers but cannot figure out which one it was. Dell have a nice one but at 31K might be a bit high.

Suggestions?

And I wasted a couple of hours troubleshooting a issue then looked at the docs and found that that vlan was never going to work for testing :sigh:

Nexus and 4900E's aren't super pricy, if you can't afford those, then I'm not really sure what you will be able to afford.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Nexus and 4900E's aren't super pricy, if you can't afford those, then I'm not really sure what you will be able to afford.

well a small company located in the South Pacific tends not to get the best price on gear. Not to mention that the budget for the project won't cover this since it was speced wrong so the cost will fall onto us.

Which is why I'm interested in things which aren't Cisco since we're between a rock and hard place.

And it may be the case that it will be cheaper if we just change the EMC SPs to 1Gb down from 10Gb since the DR SAN has only 1GB and performs better than the Prod SAN

edit: For example a 4948 10Gb switch is our buy 13.5K + tax NZD

Add some optics and times by 2 will be up-towards 30K NZD before any special pricing.

nzspambot fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 20, 2012

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Switch from iscsi to nfs? :smug:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

an option, I wonder how much EMC will want for a licence.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm sure jwh is being somewhat sarcastic, but the security and file access semantics are very different between nfs and iscsi. Just so you're aware. :)

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Ninja Rope posted:

I'm sure jwh is being somewhat sarcastic, but the security and file access semantics are very different between nfs and iscsi. Just so you're aware. :)

yeah I know, it was an option I was thinking about anyway but it dons't sort out the overall issue of the switch not performing.

taishi28012
Aug 9, 2007
Would the 1751 be a good choice for a CCNA Lab? I can get a few of the for cheap if so.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Anyone have a favorite 208VAC to -48VDC rectifier? Wanted to get the one Eaton sells but apparently they are on a slow boat from China and won't be here until after I need them up and running.

Only need like ~900W

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

taishi28012 posted:

Would the 1751 be a good choice for a CCNA Lab? I can get a few of the for cheap if so.

If it's got ios it's good for the CCNA lab. If you can get your hands on Packet Tracer then that's even better.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

FatCow posted:

Anyone have a favorite 208VAC to -48VDC rectifier? Wanted to get the one Eaton sells but apparently they are on a slow boat from China and won't be here until after I need them up and running.

Only need like ~900W

We have a couple of (now GE Energy I think) Lineage units we quite like. CPS/SPS are small 1U shelves which are perfect for single device POPs.

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 23, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
This is the Cisco thread, but probably still the best thread for this question: What's the general opinion of Force10 products for SMB switching? We've got a network of mostly 2950/2960/3560 Cisco gear, and a new VAR that we're talking to is trying to sell us on Force10 gear since they're married to Dell.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Mierdaan posted:

This is the Cisco thread, but probably still the best thread for this question: What's the general opinion of Force10 products for SMB switching? We've got a network of mostly 2950/2960/3560 Cisco gear, and a new VAR that we're talking to is trying to sell us on Force10 gear since they're married to Dell.

I'd take my 2950's from my cisco lab over the Force10 gear I've had the displeasure of using. Your mileage may vary but I'm not a fan of force10 gear personally. Get some demo units out of them and try em out!

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

I have a lot of experience with Force10, having converted almost all of my Cisco switching to Force10. The S50s/S55s are terrific switches and are cheaper and will at least give you comparable performance. Force10 will claim they're faster and wire speed and whatnot, but I don't know what kind of deployment you'd be needing wire speed out of copper 1GB switching anymore. I personally think they'll rock the three switches you have listed there and at least keep pace with any 3750 gear. If you're interested in info about their higher end gear, the S4810s loving rule, and the C series chassis have some very nice features for a dense wiring closet.

They're IOSsy enough that there is very little transition, but have a few key changes that take a little getting used to. For example, port channel configuration varies whether you're doing LACP or not. You put your allowed VLANs in the VLAN interface configuration instead of on the trunk interface. One small change that rocks that IOS doesn't have: if you're in an interface or other sub-configuration, show config does the equivalent of do show run int <current interface>. Stacking configuration is a little strange, if you do that -- you have to be careful how you set priorities to make sure master behavior is consistent.

Major drawbacks: Documentation. I pine for a Cisco-style configuration guide, where the tasks are laid out in approximate order of how you perform them. Force10s docs are laid out alphabetically, so you have to know exactly where you're going and they won't help you if you forget a step. You may run into undocumented weirdness if you push your switching beyond normal edge switching applications.

Another one is if you use Cisco-based protocols: VTP, having to change from CDP to LLDP, and routing issues if you move into the layer 3 space. I love EIGRP so much and it sucks to have to leave it behind.

Sales idiosyncrasies: they will give you lead times that will make you blow your stack and then deliver much more quickly than anticipated. I think they got a lot of business when Cisco was having delivery problems and so try to wow customers by beating their advertised lead times. The other thing that's not a good sign: a lot of the old guard who started with Force10 are starting to leave now that they're Dell.

Nothing wrong with the hardware, just make them deeply discount anything. You are changing something pretty significant when you buy non-Cisco. Make them woo you.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks man, that's the kinda stuff I was looking for.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I'm posting too many negatives for how happy I am with the Force10 equipment, but I run into this every friggin' day and it makes me type things twice:

IOS:
show run | inc Vlan
show run | begin net0/1

FTOS:
show run | grep Vlan
show run | find net0/1

edit: funny stuff that really doesn't matter: when they got bought out, there was an FTOS update for most of the S series that pretty much did nothing but change "Force10" to "Dell" everywhere in your configs. And now that I've changed all my closet/data centers from Cisco blue to Force10 gray, new chassis that get delivered are Dell black!
:arghfist::mad:

bort fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 24, 2012

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

bort posted:

I have a lot of experience with Force10, having converted almost all of my Cisco switching to Force10. The S50s/S55s are terrific switches and are cheaper and will at least give you comparable performance. Force10 will claim they're faster and wire speed and whatnot, but I don't know what kind of deployment you'd be needing wire speed out of copper 1GB switching anymore. I personally think they'll rock the three switches you have listed there and at least keep pace with any 3750 gear. If you're interested in info about their higher end gear, the S4810s loving rule, and the C series chassis have some very nice features for a dense wiring closet.

They're IOSsy enough that there is very little transition, but have a few key changes that take a little getting used to. For example, port channel configuration varies whether you're doing LACP or not. You put your allowed VLANs in the VLAN interface configuration instead of on the trunk interface. One small change that rocks that IOS doesn't have: if you're in an interface or other sub-configuration, show config does the equivalent of do show run int <current interface>. Stacking configuration is a little strange, if you do that -- you have to be careful how you set priorities to make sure master behavior is consistent.

Major drawbacks: Documentation. I pine for a Cisco-style configuration guide, where the tasks are laid out in approximate order of how you perform them. Force10s docs are laid out alphabetically, so you have to know exactly where you're going and they won't help you if you forget a step. You may run into undocumented weirdness if you push your switching beyond normal edge switching applications.

Another one is if you use Cisco-based protocols: VTP, having to change from CDP to LLDP, and routing issues if you move into the layer 3 space. I love EIGRP so much and it sucks to have to leave it behind.

Sales idiosyncrasies: they will give you lead times that will make you blow your stack and then deliver much more quickly than anticipated. I think they got a lot of business when Cisco was having delivery problems and so try to wow customers by beating their advertised lead times. The other thing that's not a good sign: a lot of the old guard who started with Force10 are starting to leave now that they're Dell.

Nothing wrong with the hardware, just make them deeply discount anything. You are changing something pretty significant when you buy non-Cisco. Make them woo you.

Looks like you did have a very different experience than I did, but thats why I told the poster asking about them to get some demo units from the sales guy. Asking about things is nice but everyone needs to get their hands on some units to see how they work for them. It never hurts to take a peak into other vendors technologies because you may find something that will work better for your situation... And cost less which always is a plus

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

taishi28012 posted:

My portable lab (forward deployed, the really nice stuff is back at the house) is a stack of 5 1721’s , 1 AS2511-RJ, 1 2523 and a teltone ILS-2000 (they really cheap these days, and ISDN is not testable these days, but I already owned it). Throw in some WICs with cables (I use switches from work, you will need to get two), and you have a cheap kit that should cover your blueprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is 802.1x fairly straight forward?

Turn it on globally, already have AAA and Radius servers defined and working with SSH logins (we're even doing AAA login groups and the like on certain devices). I'll need to "add aaa authentication dot1x default group radius".

Turn it on on the interfaces, have it set port control to auto, etc?

Are there any changes I need to make on a Radius server or for an eventual NAC server?

Anything I need to do with VLANs?