Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Has anyone else that bought from Dave and Adam's had missing hits? I've bought 2 Topps Baseball jumbo boxes in a row that where missing the autograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Boinks posted:

Has anyone else that bought from Dave and Adam's had missing hits? I've bought 2 Topps Baseball jumbo boxes in a row that where missing the autograph.

Were the boxes sealed with the Topps wrapper? If not, I think D and A would have some 'splaining to do.

I've only purchased a few boxes from there, but they were sealed and contained all the hits they were supposed to.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Anyone know anything about this set? Apparently it's a 50 card set where every card is Pete Rose, with one auto per box. I might buy one of these, they're cheap and I hate buying a box and having my hit be some no-one schmuck. Plus I'd love one of those "I'm sorry I bet on baseball" balls.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Wondering if any of you guys are on COMC. Post your link up. I'm not sure if there's a trade thread that would make more sense to post in.

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Users/Ghumbs

FD: I do work there.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I've got a few cards on there here. Make me an offer on anything if you are interested. I just started my account last month and have a larger pending shipment from the 5th Anniversary special.

Hey Ghumbs, how long have you worked there? What's the atmosphere like? How are they handling the rapid expansion internally?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

theacox posted:

Hey Ghumbs, how long have you worked there? What's the atmosphere like? How are they handling the rapid expansion internally?

It's been about 3 months now. The atmosphere is pretty casual but it feels like an office. Only with lots of baseball cards. As for the expansion (which I guess I'm a part of), it's been reasonably organic. The biggest hurdle is definitely the 750,000 cards that showed up from the promo. It's proving to be a challenge.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

#8/25
:smugdog:

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Oh wow.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Very nice. Oh yeah, and I sorted some of the cards you sent in for the special. Just thought that was cool.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

If there's one thing you can count on from Topps Chrome it's lovely centering.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Ghumbs posted:

Very nice. Oh yeah, and I sorted some of the cards you sent in for the special. Just thought that was cool.

Hey that is pretty cool.

Chief McHeath posted:

If there's one thing you can count on from Topps Chrome it's lovely centering.

Yeah that's the only thing that sucked about this one.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

Did you pull this card from a shop in Wisconsin?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
No. I got these boxes from ebay and they came out of IL.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

anotherblownsave posted:

I was cleaning my room today and found these. Probably not worth much, if anything, but still cool to find some of my old cards.

When I was nine or 10, there was a baseball card shop I went to every day after school in the little town I grew up in. The owner let me help out around the place and would pay me in baseball cards.

Anyway, he had that very same Yaz card for sale forever. I looked at it all the time when I was there. It basically started my love affair with the cool old way Topps used to print their cards.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I bought the top Yaz and Fisk ones at a store when I was a kid. The Nady was a redemption pull in I think 2002 Topps

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would sell that Darvish now while people are being ridiculous about him

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I also did well with Chrome

Edited with a better pic.

Sotar fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 28, 2012

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Sotar posted:

I also did well with Chrome (yeah the pic is bad, I have a terrible camera)

A 2006 Bryam Bingan auto?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Brya Hagar?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
It was a time before Bryce Harper earned all of his name.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Denny McLain was at my local AA game tonight

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Hey Ghumbs, do the progress percentages for new shipments that show up on my dashboard really mean anything?

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Here's my Chrome haul (2 boxes)

:toot:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

streetlamp posted:

Denny McLain was at my local AA game tonight

Nice, although unfortunately getting that ball signed in pen was a mistake. Those China balls use very cheap leather that causes pen ink to bleed over time. I've found that sharpies hold up better long-term on those than pen.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

DaFuente posted:

Here's my Chrome haul (2 boxes)

:toot:

Sweet dual!

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nice, although unfortunately getting that ball signed in pen was a mistake. Those China balls use very cheap leather that causes pen ink to bleed over time. I've found that sharpies hold up better long-term on those than pen.

Wow, never heard that. I'll need to get some non china balls then because I hate the look of Sharpie on balls.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Maybe you have a local guy that can do better, but Target sells MLB game balls in a plastic display cube for $15.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Pretty sure a Sharpie is going to leak more into leather than a ballpoint pen. But what you really want is a Staedtler.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

theacox posted:

Hey Ghumbs, do the progress percentages for new shipments that show up on my dashboard really mean anything?
Yep. That shows how far along it has been processed. Yours are probably waiting to be scanned, if I had to guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

Pretty sure a Sharpie is going to leak more into leather than a ballpoint pen. But what you really want is a Staedtler.
Those balls don't use leather. It's synthetic.

Official Rawlings Major League balls are the highest quality, hence why they are pretty expensive.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Ghumbs posted:

Yep. That shows how far along it has been processed. Yours are probably waiting to be scanned, if I had to guess.

Is there anything that shows what those percentages actually mean? Like which stage the percentage is?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

theacox posted:

Is there anything that shows what those percentages actually mean? Like which stage the percentage is?

Not really. It shows how far along the order is but it doesn't define it.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I guess this thread sank far enough that no one is talking about Topps Triple Threads, it's doing some bananas sales with the amount of Trout and Harper. I've always been underwhelmed with it but it looks really nice this year.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Screw triple threads, I just bought a $30 leaf history of baseball cut sig box from walmart and got Willie Montanez, a 1977 all-star!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Quantrill posted:

Screw triple threads, I just bought a $30 leaf history of baseball cut sig box from walmart and got Willie Montanez, a 1977 all-star!
And I believe he's still alive, which I don't understand when you're making cut sig cards. If the guy's alive why not get him to sign a regular card?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

FlamingLiberal posted:

And I believe he's still alive, which I don't understand when you're making cut sig cards. If the guy's alive why not get him to sign a regular card?

Maybe he doesn't sign. Maybe he wouldn't sign for them anyway. Maybe his hands were chopped off in a horrible accident while watching Herbie the Love Bug. We can never know for sure.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Chief McHeath posted:

I guess this thread sank far enough that no one is talking about Topps Triple Threads, it's doing some bananas sales with the amount of Trout and Harper. I've always been underwhelmed with it but it looks really nice this year.

While Triple Threads has a lot of nice stuff, I'm disappointed that the Unity jerseys/auto-jerseys don't have the stadium panoramas like last year. Being able to put the three cards together was pretty cool, and I made a couple sets of those for baseball and football.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

theacox posted:

Maybe he doesn't sign. Maybe he wouldn't sign for them anyway. Maybe his hands were chopped off in a horrible accident while watching Herbie the Love Bug. We can never know for sure.
I've actually gotten him to sign for me before.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

That must have been before his terrible Herbie the Love Bug accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Man I got two boxes of Triple Threads and the best I got was a Matt Kemp triple jersey :sigh:. Oh well you win some and you lose some.

• Locked thread