Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I am interested in taking a C# boot camp class to prepare for my company's switch to automated tests (I am a QA Analyst). Can anyone recommend a boot camp class in Northern Virginia that is in the evening? I am kind of lost when it comes to these things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

astr0man posted:

GPA is grade point average. Yeah we get one for high school, but what people in the thread are talking about is their college/university GPA. For new hires with no real work experience the only benchmark prospective employers have is your college grades.

Ahhh I understand now. Here we have a slightly different system, you get a First Class, Upper Second Class (2:1), Lower Second Class (2:2 or Desmond) or a Third (Richard) in your BSc or BEng. If you get a third then consider a different career, if you have a 2:1 or 2:2 then it depends where you went to a lot of people. A 2:1 from a top University will be favoured over a similar result from a lesser University. So you end up with this Institution + Grade = ephemeral status. I've had interviews (and got jobs from them) in the past base purely on the University I went to.

Does it work the same in the US, a 3.8 GPA from MIT is just better than the same result from somewhere else or is it pretty even?

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?

Aramoro posted:

Ahhh I understand now. Here we have a slightly different system, you get a First Class, Upper Second Class (2:1), Lower Second Class (2:2 or Desmond) or a Third (Richard) in your BSc or BEng. If you get a third then consider a different career, if you have a 2:1 or 2:2 then it depends where you went to a lot of people. A 2:1 from a top University will be favoured over a similar result from a lesser University. So you end up with this Institution + Grade = ephemeral status. I've had interviews (and got jobs from them) in the past base purely on the University I went to.

Does it work the same in the US, a 3.8 GPA from MIT is just better than the same result from somewhere else or is it pretty even?

School generally weighs in first job or so, going to a small public school isn't as noticeable as a high-ranking school. Plus people that know that you went to a high-tier school might treat you a little different. We just don't really have it down on paper like it seems you all do. That's real interesting.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

friendbot2000 posted:

I am interested in taking a C# boot camp class to prepare for my company's switch to automated tests (I am a QA Analyst). Can anyone recommend a boot camp class in Northern Virginia that is in the evening? I am kind of lost when it comes to these things...

If you have any questions about C#, head over to the .NET Megathread. You can also PM me if you have specific questions about automated testing -- I do a lot of work in the automated testing domain, especially as it relates to CI practices with TFS and Microsoft Test Manager. I'm actually working on automated testing with Coded UI for a client at the moment.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

If you have any questions about C#, head over to the .NET Megathread. You can also PM me if you have specific questions about automated testing -- I do a lot of work in the automated testing domain, especially as it relates to CI practices with TFS and Microsoft Test Manager. I'm actually working on automated testing with Coded UI for a client at the moment.

Ah, thank you. I think that will be really helpful.

Sorry about posting in the wrong thread, I figured this was the right place because I am trying to do continued education for my job and didnt think ti was wise to start a new thread for it.

I am pretty sure you will hear from me in the future ;)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

biochemist posted:

School generally weighs in first job or so, going to a small public school isn't as noticeable as a high-ranking school. Plus people that know that you went to a high-tier school might treat you a little different. We just don't really have it down on paper like it seems you all do. That's real interesting.

I wouldn't say it's formal, or down on paper, but there's a definite trend. In the UK we have a set of big universities (which can vary slightly based on your course) and if you're from one of them you're just more likely to get a job. For instance people graduating with Computer Science related degrees have a 81% chance of getting a job with it within 6 months (it's a bad time). If you're from Edinburgh University it's 94.5%, if you're from the University of Bolton it's 79.9%. Some employers solely hire 1st's from Edinburgh for example.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

In the end all companies want are skills, not pedigree. Having a 3.85 GPA at MIT is just a signal that you are probably pretty good at CS. It's probably true you'll be at a disadvantage if you're not say,at a top 10 school but a lot of that can be overcome by showing you can complete projects. There is definitely some amount of elitism happening at companies though.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

In the end all companies want are skills, not pedigree. Having a 3.85 GPA at MIT is just a signal that you are probably pretty good at CS. It's probably true you'll be at a disadvantage if you're not say,at a top 10 school but a lot of that can be overcome by showing you can complete projects. There is definitely some amount of elitism happening at companies though.

I think the most important factor is where you plan to apply. Most people who graduate from MIT/CMU/Stanford/... are applying to top-tier companies. If you graduate from a middle-tier state school you probably will have trouble standing out & getting a spot at a Google or a Facebook. But hey I went to a middle-tier state school and one of our grads ended up with a job at Google so v:shobon:v

And yeah after your first job your education becomes less and less important. My first resume was nothing but school stuff, but after five or six years I've got education as one line in the very back and it hasn't come up in the last few interviews.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
e: deleted

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 12, 2013

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Gazpacho posted:

I attended and graduated from a top CS grad school in 2005 and have worked in Seattle for leading software companies for 7 years. Around four years ago I realized that I don't like Seattle and never will, but because of the economic situation I pushed on. Took a job with a leading company in 2009, replacing one of the guys who interviewed me, and immediately realized I was in technical debt hell. The obligations of that job kept me from effectively searching for another one out of state. For more than two years I struggled to keep up but finally reached an impasse with my manager where he had me sign an ultimatum to deliver XYZ or be fired. I signed it, slept on it, then quit the next day rather than risk a termination for cause. (I was also having stress-related chest pains at the time. Not gonna die for anyone's profits.)

The wet season in Seattle usually starts around the end of this month and I can't take another one. I've been searching for jobs out of state (specifically the SF bay, where I've lived before) for 8 months. My skills are on the Windows platform, which is no longer "hip," or my previous employer's in-house rat's nest which is not portable experience. I have no spare-time projects to show anyone and no ideas for one. I have no networking resources in the region where I'm searching. Every interview process has ended with "local candidates only" or "we have decided to pursue candidates who are a better match." I am not a dummy. I can and have learned tech for every job I've taken. Everyone wants to hear "yes sir I have the minimum N years of experience with TechX" or you can go to hell. Experience here and there while doing what's necessary to keep a job doesn't count for poo poo. If (god forbid) I interview locally again, I have no alibi for the last 10 months except "I hate it here and want to leave, but will you please hire me until then?"

No, I don't have any question, I just have to let this out. Shout out to YOSPOS, go ahead and have your laugh at my expense guys. I'll be over here with a knot in my stomach, weeping.

It took me a while to find a job in SF so I feel your pain, except the part about nearly dying and rather than being a CS grad from a top-tier school I just have a BS from a top 30ish school. I was in a situation where none of the stuff I was doing was going to apply to any other company, or at least any company I'd jump ship to work at instead. So I had to begin grinding out things that I could show employers, and even then they'd still ask me for more examples of my coding prowess by submitting some code challenge to them.

But I've now quit that company and I'm planning to start my new job soon in a different language than the one I was writing in at my old job. My side projects were also basically nil, I had a few things but I spent tons and tons of time during my job search to improve my portfolio.

Unfortunately right now the culture in SF and probably everywhere else is to hire people with "experience in X" because they can't be bothered to develop people from a clean slate. So you either have to have those skills already or mightily impress them in the interview stage. C#/.NET stuff is rarely used in SF and I've yet to hear people talk about making a W7 Phone app alongside Android/iOS.

there is no way around being one of these things: 1) person with lots of side projects showing he can do stuff 2) a person with expertise in X 3) someone with a lot of networking connections. If you aren't one of those 3 you just need to start working towards being one of them (not trying to make this sound easy, since the hard part is focusing and doing it)

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Hey guys, I'm a CS student and fairly capable programmer (I've been programming way longer than I've been in college and I have a lot of side projects + 1 internship under my belt). I'm thinking of trying to get some contract work (and learn a technology that would be conducive to it); something like mobile or web development. But I'm at a loss as to what to learn and how to turn it into paying work. It definitely seems like mobile is probably the most lucrative at the moment. I'm debating ordering an android device and messing around with it. If anyone has any advice on how to go about this (and what to learn) I'd appreciate it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

chunkey posted:

Hey guys, I'm a CS student and fairly capable programmer (I've been programming way longer than I've been in college and I have a lot of side projects + 1 internship under my belt). I'm thinking of trying to get some contract work (and learn a technology that would be conducive to it); something like mobile or web development. But I'm at a loss as to what to learn and how to turn it into paying work. It definitely seems like mobile is probably the most lucrative at the moment. I'm debating ordering an android device and messing around with it. If anyone has any advice on how to go about this (and what to learn) I'd appreciate it.

Mobile is hot right now, but which platform to pick up depends on you.

Apple's platform is obviously Mac-centric. Personally, I hate Xcode and Objective-C didn't really do much for me. You can also do iOS apps in C# by using the MonoTouch framework, although I haven't played with it at all, so I can't speak to how it holds up in the real world. This is the biggest market, so there's a lot of work available.

Android is Java-centric, and there are a lot of different Android-based devices out there, but it's not as popular as iOS as a platform. There's definitely a market for it, though.

Windows phone development is way in last place in the mobile arena, but as a .NET developer, I have high hopes for it as a platform. I have a feeling it's going to start catching on now that Windows 8 is out, and especially once the Surface tablet launches in a few months.

The problem with solo contract work, especially as an inexperienced developer, is that you have no one to learn from. The most important thing you can do for your first few years of professional coding is having someone that's been around the block a few times beating you up in code reviews.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Seconding the hate on Xcode :v:
Maybe it's just because I hate Apple and don't know the OSX environment, but to me it's such an ugly IDE and doesn't explain anything to the user at all. That said, if you can do it there's definitely work for it, like Ithaqua said.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

chunkey posted:

I've never done Android development, but when I started trying to learn iOS stuff it meant a significant investment of time to learn Xcode and ObjC, and it can be very expensive to buy a MacBook/iPhone. Plus it's not like you'll use ObjC outside of iOS development.

Web development makes you learn basic server administration, a nice language like Ruby or Python, database design and use, and some amount of graphical design. You might already have some of those skills, which means less initial investment. And if you don't, they are very worthwhile to learn because they are incredibly useful outside the web development world.

Learning either is a fine decision, though, and mobile might be more lucrative in the long term. How much time do you have left in school?

If you want to turn this into a contracting career, build some mobile/web apps on your own and use them as a portfolio you can take around to digital agencies. You're way too inexperienced to land your own contracts right now, but you could learn a lot subbing for someone else.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Yes, I'm sort of leaning Android because I can continue to develop the way I'm used to without having to invest time/money into Apple equipment and Xcode, though I'm not opposed to that if it'll be a lot more profitable in the long run.

As far as my coding experience, I've got a lot of open source contributions, and have some pretty large side projects going. I feel pretty confident about my ability to pick up one of these technologies and then take on contracts in them. I wish I could leverage my current projects into some work, but it's mostly C++ and oddball stuff, not the sort of thing that lends itself to making an app for some dude.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I was just offered a contract position to do some software developer work at Company A through a recruiting agency, and I accepted the position over email yesterday. But today I was offered a position at Company B and it is a higher salary AND it is full time.

How legal is it for me to tell Company A that I was offered a better package and will no longer be accepting the position? How much of a dick move would it be?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lenin Stimpy posted:

So I was just offered a contract position to do some software developer work at Company A through a recruiting agency, and I accepted the position over email yesterday. But today I was offered a position at Company B and it is a higher salary AND it is full time.

How legal is it for me to tell Company A that I was offered a better package and will no longer be accepting the position? How much of a dick move would it be?

No matter how much of a dick move it is, this is your career, not the last piece of pizza. Take the better job. They'll get over it.

Also, if possible, negotiate your salary higher.

Malacola
Apr 19, 2002

Gazpacho posted:

Some stuff

Hi! Have you looked at Kaggle? They're a bay area .net shop, doing cool stuff with a seemingly sustainable development methodology, etc etc....

Also, are you on StackOverflow careers? Do you want to be? Put up your email and I'll send you an invite.

Basically, don't feel bad that you're an expert on an "unhip" platform, don't get down on yourself for anything you're good at, don't turn your strengths into weaknesses.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

You need to clarify what you want to do. It sounds like you want to move out of Seattle, what technologies do you want to work with? If they are outside the realm of your existing experience, are there any ways you can demonstrate your competence with them? Projects are one but depending on the organisations you are applying to, certs/qualifications can get you a long way. If you have spent X years doing say .NET, at a language level they will transfer to Java pretty well, then its just a case of getting familiar with the libraries etc.

If you want to leave you need to save up some money and move to where you want to go. It's just a lot harder trying to find work somewhere you are not, unless you have very niche skills and/or are established in a given field. If you are trying to change the technologies and platforms you are working with as well it does not surprise me you haven't been having much luck. Hiring people from other locations is a big risk for a bunch of reasons, it is a lot easier if there is someone local you can take on. Tighten your belt the next 6-12 months and build up a warchest you can use to get yourself somewhere else.

Don't begrudge your existing experience as it has gotten you this far, there are a lot of people out there who would love to be in your position (good school, lots of experience, probably a role that sounds impressive to an outsider). You can also use it to get yourself to a better place, save up some cash, get any certs your work will pay for, give a talk at a user group in your target region. You might need to be flexible about the work you do, salary and who you work for. You need to clear up what you want to do, what you are willing to compromise on, and what is holding you back. By then you should have a clearer picture of what you can do to get you closer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So over in the job fair thread someone was saying how out-of-state jobs would never call him back until he took his address off his resume. I'm just poking around looking at stuff at Dice and this company has two job openings. One about 70 miles away in Massachusetts, and the exact same position but over in California.

They both say 'Local Candidates Only'.... Should I strip my address from my resume and apply to both? I can't imagine it'd be the same HR department looking it over.

As much as I'd like to stay in the CT/MA/RI tri-state area, I kind of want to get the hell out of my comfort zone and experience new stuff, so working in CA could be great for that but for this particular case I don't want to jeopardize myself if there's a chance the same people could be overseeing these applications.

edit; Haha, god drat it. Just found a company with a rather weird / amusing name, so I went to see what their website was to figure out what they actually do. They make some app for gay dudes to meet up or something, what a spectacular page to load up while at work :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 17, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

So over in the job fair thread someone was saying how out-of-state jobs would never call him back until he took his address off his resume. I'm just poking around looking at stuff at Dice and this company has two job openings. One about 70 miles away in Massachusetts, and the exact same position but over in California.

They both say 'Local Candidates Only'.... Should I strip my address from my resume and apply to both? I can't imagine it'd be the same HR department looking it over.

edit; Haha, god drat it. Just found a company with a rather weird / amusing name, so I went to see what their website was to figure out what they actually do. They make some app for gay dudes to meet up or something, what a spectacular page to load up while at work

For 70 miles, that's not a big deal. You could commute that while looking for a new place closer to the office, although it would suck.

For hundreds or thousands of miles, that's disingenuous, and here's what will happen:

Interviewer: We'd love to have you come out for an interview!
You: Great, I live 2500 miles away!
Interviewer: Nevermind. Thanks for your time.
*interviewer hangs up the phone*
"Why the do these idiots keep applying here?"

When the job posting states something like "salary range: X0,000-Y0,000 DOE", don't ask for Z0,000 where Z>Y. If it says "Must be local," and you're not local, don't apply.

edit:

Grindr? I saw their ads and considered applying last time I was job hunting. (not gay)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's a fair point, I wasn't even thinking of in person interviews :downs:
And yea 70 miles wouldn't be a big deal, my parents live a little closer to the place than I do so worst comes to worst I'd stay there until I got my own place.

It was a thing called "Online Buddies", though Grindr is equally hilarious given the context.

Edit; Now that I think about it, would anyone be kind enough to critique my resume? I've made a few design changes and I don't know if I like them. Overall I think it's pretty strong, but I don't like my Skills section at the top for a few reasons.

-It looks empty compared to everything below it
-I'm not sure how I should organize/group my languages and such.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 17, 2012

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
In my opinion you should learn LaTeX (if you're a programmer it's trivially easy) and write your CV using that because everything else looks completely amateur in comparison. (Maybe there are some places that only accept MS Word CVs but surely no tech places these days? I don't know.)

Edit: just in case it helps anyone, here is my CV basically turned into template form and here is what it looks like rendered. (And this is the resume document class file I'm using that I found somewhere.)

seiken fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 17, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jesus christ, updated my profile on Dice today. Been getting tons of recruiters, which I should have expected.

This one guy emailed me, called my phone twice (I didn't answer, I'm at work). I sent an email, then he tried my phone again even though my email said I'm at work and won't answer. Should I just call back and say gently caress off? I understand people want to hire people / place candidates, but this seems like a bit of a red flag to me.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Jesus christ, updated my profile on Dice today. Been getting tons of recruiters, which I should have expected.

This one guy emailed me, called my phone twice (I didn't answer, I'm at work). I sent an email, then he tried my phone again even though my email said I'm at work and won't answer. Should I just call back and say gently caress off? I understand people want to hire people / place candidates, but this seems like a bit of a red flag to me.

Be wary of recruiters in general. But talking to one costs you nothing, just take everything they say with a grain of salt, and a handful of salt for an overeager recruiter.

Remember, their goal is to get you a job because they get a cut of your starting salary, not because they care about you, your happiness, or your success.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 17, 2012

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

seiken posted:

In my opinion you should learn LaTeX (if you're a programmer it's trivially easy) and write your CV using that because everything else looks completely amateur in comparison. (Maybe there are some places that only accept MS Word CVs but surely no tech places these days? I don't know.)

Edit: just in case it helps anyone, here is my CV basically turned into template form and here is what it looks like rendered. (And this is the resume document class file I'm using that I found somewhere.)
That looks like something that could be re-created in 5 minutes using msword or any office program and you won't have to learn how to use LaTeX. So I fail to see the advantage, unless you plan on using LaTeX in the future (which does have its uses).

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Don Mega posted:

That looks like something that could be re-created in 5 minutes using msword or any office program and you won't have to learn how to use LaTeX. So I fail to see the advantage, unless you plan on using LaTeX in the future (which does have its uses).

Like I say it's just my opinion, but documents made in WYSIWYG editors look like poo poo and learning LaTeX is easy and basically worth it anyway. My CV took 5 minutes, given that I already knew LaTeX. To get something that all lined up so nicely in word would in my experience be huge amounts of hassle whereas in LaTeX it's unavoidable

vvvv Woah those are way more fancy than mine but also look real good!

seiken fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 17, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

seiken posted:

I'm a huge fan of what moderncv makes - you can see some examples on CTAN. I tweaked the casual theme a bit to get mine.

Trying to get nice alignment from most word processors was pissing me off.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

Be wary of recruiters in general. But talking to one costs you nothing, just take everything they say with a grain of salt, and a handful of salt for an overeager recruiter.

Remember, their goal is to get you a job because they get a cut of your starting salary, not because they care about you, your happiness, or your success.

Yea, my database internship on my resume screenshot above was actually at a staffing agency-- I generally know how the industry works, I was just very surprised at this guy's zealousness. Wasn't sure if I should have taken it as a red flag or if that's common.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Don Mega posted:

You could make something very similar but far uglier in about five minutes in Word, and slightly uglier in about 5 hours.

nmx
May 16, 2004

Sab669 posted:

It was a thing called "Online Buddies", though Grindr is equally hilarious given the context.

I work at Online Buddies, if you want to know any more about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LaTeX is easy to use and looks great. I'd highly recommend it.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

LaTeX is easy to use and looks great. I'd highly recommend it.

Just want to reiterate this. It makes all of my word processing easier (using Mendeley and bibtex alone saved me a lot of time in school). It's also far more elegant than Word.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

buttcoin smuggler posted:

Just want to reiterate this. It makes all of my word processing easier (using Mendeley and bibtex alone saved me a lot of time in school). It's also far more elegant than Word.

I used to think so, but then I found what I was using it for could be replaced with markdown, then converted into expected formats with pandoc.

I am somewhat jaded about Latex though, since I found out that their approach to handling build-dependencies is to include them in the TexLive version control, and the response to it being such a pain to build from source is to find volunteers to build it and check the built binaries into version control.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Ithaqua posted:

Just to clarify this, they don't actually take any of your starting salary. If you get hired for $60k/year and the recruiter's contract is for 10%, then your new company pays you $60k for your first year and pays the recruiter $6k for finding you for a total payout of $66k.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Mniot posted:

Just to clarify this, they don't actually take any of your starting salary. If you get hired for $60k/year and the recruiter's contract is for 10%, then your new company pays you $60k for your first year and pays the recruiter $6k for finding you for a total payout of $66k.

it wouldn't surprise me if, all else equal, employees hired through a recruiter earn less in salary because the company has to pay that commission.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Deus Rex posted:

it wouldn't surprise me if, all else equal, employees hired through a recruiter earn less in salary because the company has to pay that commission.

This is definitely the case. I actually had an interviewer say, "your starting salary's going to be a little lower, because I don't want to pay the recruiter" :allears: . And, all else equal, companies will hire someone who doesn't come from a recruiter at all.

The last time I was job-hunting, I was working inside of a secure area and it was a pain to duck out for a few minutes of job-hunting. Working with recruiters was amazingly convenient for me because they did all the time-consuming leg-work and only bothered me when my resume actually got a bite. They're also nice if you're looking to move or otherwise don't know where to apply (I applied to Google by myself, but a recruiter got me an interview with TripAdvisor, who were pretty cool).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just sent off the ol' resume to Google for two separate jobs. I'm reading their "How We Hire" page, and they say "We’re less concerned about grades and transcripts and more interested in how you think." Hopefully my 2.8 isn't too low regardless of where their priorities are :ohdear:

For anyone here whose interviewed with Google, assuming I hear back from them, any advice / pointers?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
e: deleted

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Mniot posted:

This is definitely the case. I actually had an interviewer say, "your starting salary's going to be a little lower, because I don't want to pay the recruiter" :allears: . And, all else equal, companies will hire someone who doesn't come from a recruiter at all.

The last time I was job-hunting, I was working inside of a secure area and it was a pain to duck out for a few minutes of job-hunting. Working with recruiters was amazingly convenient for me because they did all the time-consuming leg-work and only bothered me when my resume actually got a bite. They're also nice if you're looking to move or otherwise don't know where to apply (I applied to Google by myself, but a recruiter got me an interview with TripAdvisor, who were pretty cool).

I found my current job via a recruiter -- the company didn't publicly list the position, just relied on recruiting agencies. It was a 3 month contract to hire, and as soon as I was hired full time I ended up with around an 8% bump... I'm going to guess the recruiter got around an 8% commission :q: