Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tabby nods. "Yeah, he did deserve it. The guy's dog-whistling, and it's people like him that are driving this idea that it's all 'Us vs. Them' for dealing with Mutants. And being who he is he has a lot more influence about it than normal. He's terrible." A pause "Um, no offense." To Crystal, that was. The Texan Attorney-General could shove it.

"But by wrecking his press conference all you did was get yourself in trouble on camera and prove your dad right." She points out. "People are going to see that and see that a Mutant did it and that's a far as they'll look into it. Being a Mutant can even turn a good christian girl like his daughter into a dangerous menace, what a brave man to stick to his guns, blah blah blah." She puts on a bit of a southern accent for the last bit, putting forth the bigot on the streets perception of events.

"If you kept your head and calmed down you could have really hurt him and his position, and not just wrecked his presser." Tabby explains to her, with a little grin on her face. "You could have used some of his press contacts to get a letter out explaining it. You could have started a rumour that he had a Mutant daughter and watch the sharks circle. Hell, maybe you could've held your own press conference and tell all." Tabby shrugs on the exact method, but she seems sure on the general plan. "Nothing bad would have happened to you, certainly nothing like being arrested, and all the trouble wold have been on him."

"This is why it's really important to know when it's the right time to power up, and when it's better not to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Crystal bristles. "You don't have to tell me that," she grumbles at Tabby, at least about the first part. "He is horrible," she says, a hard, hard edge in her voice. Her eyes narrow and she flops back, crossing her arms. "It'd have gotten buried," she says. "That's how it works." She's gotten cynical fast in her young life.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"He is a politician, Crystal." Tabby gently reminds her. "'Politician' and 'Scandal' are an editors wet dream. And if for some reason they didn't run with one if the biggest recent scandals just dropped on their desk? His political opponents sure would have."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"You don't have to tell me that," Crystal says testily, sitting up but keeping her arms defiantly folded. "I grew up with all this....crap." She groans slowly, shoulders hunching in. "Can we talk about somebody else?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Sorry." Tabby apologises, sounding genuinely like she didn't want to upset Crystal. "I'm just trying to say that just because we do have powers, doesn't mean the best answer is always use our powers. It might be the easiest or quickest answer, but that doesn't always mean the best." She punctuates this by taking another bite of her vegie pizza.

"But I guess while we are on the topic of politics driving people to try and wreck stuff." She turns to face the local political prisoner. "Sarah? Can you tell us about what happened?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"I like to keep in practice with a brush and paint. Or pencils." Rickie remarks before turning her attention to Sarah.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Oh great. Her turn.

"Well," she begins, putting on a mock sing-song voice, "I let my radical political ideas drive me to attempt global economic terrorism."

Ok, this was too much. She holds back a laugh, and starts again in a more normal tone.
"Ok, seriously this time. I was with Occupy in New York. It was great and all, but it was starting to feel like nothing much was getting done - I mean, don't get me wrong, we got everyone talking. But what with the media spinning their bullshit and everything, it was getting a bit... frustrating. So when I realised what I could do, I figured it was time I actually did something."

While she talks, she chews on a left-over pizza crust.

"So I thought it over, and then it hit me - the Stock Exchange! I get in, mess things up a bit, and bring a bunch of rich old white men down a peg or two." She shrugs. "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddling rent-a-cop. And his drat dog."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia listens intently, following along with each house mate's story.

Anna, she just acted out from being ignored. I've seen plenty of people throw temper tantrums, justifiably so in her case, and they don't get sent to jail. Just because she has wings and talons, there's a double standard.

Crystal, acting out as well. Against rear end in a top hat father of the year. If I were in her shoes, I'd've probably done the same thing. But Tabby does have a point, that there are always better solutions.

And Sarah. Angry at the media, or wealthy or something. I wonder what 'Occupy' is. Of course, even she admits it was global economic terrorism. I guess that validates being sent away with the rest of us.

Lots of anger. I guess I was angry too, when I was still at home. I just dealt with it through my writing... not that that helped anybody.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

From the foot of the stairs, Tara stands, listening to their stories. She's not sure what to make of them. Each, pushed to the edge, and reacting in a different way. Different from her, anyway. None of them...breaking like she did. Still, they all ended up here, now, sharing their stories in this dorm over a couple nice pizzas and one really strange one.

"I'm here because I had a nervous breakdown. What I hope to gain from my experience here is to, uh, try and have that happen less?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

"Heavy stuff," Anna says. She's not quite sure what else to say, only somewhat aware of the reality of politics, and from there dimly aware that the personal is political thanks to the occasional odd note plucked on a ghostly strand between one person and another. That and campaign-time attack commercials. Those things are almost as bad as school drama.

So she looks over to Tara. Everybody else has screwed up somehow or another (and she knows what people think Cecilia did, so that counts too), but she gets sent here because she's been sick in the head. There might not be a lot of difference between prison and a mental hospital, Anna wouldn't know, but that's still seriously unfair.

"Anything you'd want help with, Tara?" Anna asks, perking her eyebrows. Most of the other girls seem to have their stuff together, but Tara and Cecilia seem to her like they might want some... well, if they're all in this together, then they should help each other out. Like being part of a cast. It only makes sense.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Seriously, we're in this together, we can help each other out." A pause. "Plus, a mental breakdown is hard to paint unless I go like that guy that started painting cats all weird, and that's more a sequential thing."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Crystal makes a fist, putting her chin on it and her elbow on her knee, leaning in, listening. She's mostly looking at Sarah, trying to figure what to make of her. Rickie proves distracting, though, and Crystal moves in next to her. "You could do somethin' bendy, like Dali," she suggests.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tabby listens to Sarah as she explains her side of the story. She nods, mm-hmm's, and is generally attentive before she says anything about it. And it totally wasn't so she could finish off her slice. "Now this is something a lot of people fear." She starts with. "Mutants developing powers and right away going out to use them because it all went to their heads. The idea of a mutant using their powers to do whatever they want scares some people, even if it isn't really true. But for some kids having that sort of power just suddenly given to them is too much, and they just go wild with it." This all said, she goes to address Sarah more directly. "I'm not saying you did that Sarah, but you didn't exactly wait to think on your plan before you dove in head first either."

Tabby leans back a little bit more into the chair. "Now I'm sure Ms. Frost went over all of this with you so I'm not going to, but there are more than just rich people on the stock market. There are smaller, not evil companies, people trying to get a nest egg going, a lot of pension funds rely on stocks, blah blah." She seems quite sure on that not going over it much point. "If you managed your plan with your level of control on your abilities, you would have hurt a lot more than just the rich old white men. Who would have been the ones best able to manage it, anyway."

She turns a bit more to the whole group. "Now. Just because you were frustrated and felt you had to do something doesn't mean you needed to use your powers. Using your powers pretty much always escalates the situation, as a rule, so if you're dead set on it you really do need to think about what you are going to do and be aware of the consequences from it. Need to be ready to cop it if it goes wrong, too. In here that might just be losing house points, but for outside… well, we've all been arrested right?" She smiles. "But yeah. It could easily mean being arrested and locked up, or getting into a big fight and getting hurt. Or, in Sarah's case, be detained on terrorism charges." She looks more directly at Sarah again. "Despite what you think about it or I think about it or whatever, under the law what you were trying to do was terrorism. And trust me, you don't want to be arguing ethics in a nullifier collar on the Raft."

Attention seems to be turned to Tara while Tabby was doing this. She waits until the other girls had finished asking about some more detail. "If you're not ready you don't need to share it with us, Tara." Tabby assured Tara.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

If looks could kill... well, if Sarah's looks could kill. There was doubtless a girl somewhere in the school who's looks actually could. And given the school, had.

There was an unpleasant element of truth to what Tabby was saying. Ms. Frost had touched on it, and it was a doubt that had been growing in Sarah's mind ever since - the lack of a plan. Beyond 'Get inside Stock Exchange, Mess Stuff Up' there hadn't been much thought put towards what she had done. And as for the 'little guys' being hurt... she wasn't 100% sure that Tabby was telling the truth, but the idea certainly made her uneasy.

"I would have thought of something." As far as defenses went it was pretty weak. As far as bluffs went, it was even worse. "Something to protect the people who actually deserved protection. Some way of covering my tracks."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie mostly tunes out Tabby's latest speech, which is kind of a bummer, because she's just going to wind up referring to it when the artist tells her story. Instead, Rickie focuses on the coffee table. A multicolored cloud coalesces at the edge of the table, turning into Tara lying down and half-changed into a giant spider. The spider's legs and abdomen melt and flow off the edge of the table, looking much like Dali's clocks. "I guess that works."

"I suppose I should go next." She frowns for a moment. "You know Bonnie and Clyde? Well, I'm kind of like them, except instead of a broad swathe of bank robbery, murder, and bootlegging, ending in a shootout with police, it was a narrow swathe of graffiti, shoplifting, and political activism ending in getting tased for painting a pair of cops green."

"You want more than that, right?" she asks Tabby, and settles back on the couch at the House Mother's affirmative nod. "Right. I was painting a guy's house- a job, barter, I was staying with him, he was gay and a mutant. This was in Nevada. I'd left a trail of graffiti, mostly political, through five states on my way west. I was heading to California. Anyway, a few states back, I'd started to sign my work." she gestures, and a rainbow springs up in each of the girls' dioramas, disappearing shortly after.

"That left a trail, and I'd been shoplifting to stay fed and on the road. It's easy enough for me," with a beckoning gesture, she pulls the pigment forming the scenes to her and disappears, then stands up and turns to reveal she'd painted herself to look exactly like the couch, "But there was always the possibility I hadn't seen a camera and they had me for some shoplifting, so I was a little nervous when a police car pulled up while I was painting this guy's house.

"One was businesslike, asked what I was up to, did I know the guy who lived there, could he see some ID. Other one had a hand on his gun and a scowl on his face, said, and I quote, 'Just cuff the mutie bitch and stick her in holding, she's done something.'" Rickie sticks her tongue out for a moment.

"I had two options. I could hand over my school ID from five states away, wait in lockup while they called it in and found out I was a runaway, and get shipped back to my loving parents," Her voice drips sarcasm like grease off Pizzilla, "Or I could panic, cover them in pigment, and get about 20 yards away before one of them tases me. Two guesses which one I picked." She pulls the camouflage off of herself and recreates the little maquettes on the coffee table as she sits down, adding one of her engulfing two cops in a wave of green. She blinks.

"And I'm an idiot. I could have painted myself a different ID. I'd seen the Nevada driver's license, I could- no, the mean one would probably have kept his gun on me while the other cop checked." She sighs. "I was going to be in trouble no matter what. But on the whole I'm glad I wound up here!" She perks up immediately. "It's beautiful, friendly, and I'm going to learn a lot, I swear. So that answers what I want to get out of this place, too!" She throws an arm around Cecilia sitting next to her. "Friends!~"

She pulls back slightly to look at Cecilia while keeping her arm around her. "You know, you haven't said word one about your powers except that, what was it, you didn't want to hurt us? So your power is dangerous, maybe deadly, but I'd say since you're in, what's the word, gen-pop? that you're not like, sweating anthrax or uncontrollably radioactive." As she continues, Rickie forms various possibilities for Cecilia's talents on the coffee table. "Are you maybe controllably radioactive? Able to control fire-extinguishing chemicals? Do you have super-strength? A super-voice?" Rickie gasps. "EYE BEAMS?" Mini-Cecilia's eye beams include hearts and sparkles.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Would have is not as good as did." Tabby after school specials Sarah, taking her death stare in stride. To be fair if Sarah was looking at somebody with a pacemaker or something then she could kinda have a death stare.

Tabby watches Rickie paint Tara's little scene, her ever present cheerfulness coming to the fore. "There's no art class here, it's kinda an extra-curricular, but we do have a room with art supplies." She tells Rickie with a smile, enjoying her little pictures. "Easels, different types of paints, kilns and clay, even stone and metal for sculpting or welding. Ms. Frost doesn't believe in forcing art education onto people, because true artists will seek instruction or just experiment on their own." She obviously repeats what the Headmistress had proclaimed. "You so need to check it out."

Then Rickie goes on to tell about what led her to get in trouble and end up here. She nods along and listens as she goes on about running away from home and crossing state borders, leaving a few minor offences in her wake. "Now I'm sure you know stealing and tagging aren't good or legal." She starts off to the painter in a very rote way. "But really, you didn't do anything wrong." She takes a bit of a detour from it. "Some cities are getting mad about graffiti but it's such a minor crime. And if it was anything like what you're doing here you could probably get off on calling it street art. Works for Banksy." She shrugs in a good natured way. "The shoplifting is a bit worse but honestly, the worst you would have gotten from that, being so far away from home, was getting taken back there. I know you didn't want that, but next to getting arrested it isn't quite so bad."

She puts her empty pizza plate on the arm of the chair and leans forward a bit. "And you were painting the house with permission so there was absolutely nothing wrong with what you were doing when the police rocked up. Up to the whole 'panicking and spray-painting the cops' bit, you weren't doing anything wrong at the house." Tabby asserts. "It's just a fact of life that in this country, you are going to come up against people in authority that are bigots. Cops. People in government." A quick look over to Crystal. "Whatever. Outside of joining up with the Brotherhood, which is a very bad thing none of you should ever do, we can only influence public opinion by showing people we're just like them and can use our powers to help people. Be that with the X-Men, or Mutantes Sans Frontier, whatever." Tabby looks back to Rickie. "You should have cooperated with the officers even if one of them was a dick," She tells her. "…but if a pig called me a mutie bitch he'd faceplant in the gutter in about two second flat." She chuckles. "But you have the right attitudes about ending up here." Tabby smiles. "So long as you are willing to learn, you'll get a lot out of staying here."

Just like when the attention turned to Tara's reason, Tabby seems to step in when Rickie tries to poke and prod about Cecelia's reason for being here. "Don't bug her about it, Rickie." She tells the painter. "You don't need to share it either if you don't want to, Cecelia." She tells her with all the authority imbued in her by being a House Mother.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Breathe in through your nose, letting your stomach expand. And, when you feel ready, exhale calmly, letting your shoulders fall. The breathing exercise returns quickly to Tara, drilled into her mind from the months of therapy. They never tell you what to do with your hands, she thinks to herself, as she makes her count looking at Rickie's artwork. "That...There should be more spiders." 1...2...3...4...the sculpture is gone...5...6...7...the count goes on.

She almost misses when the conversation turns back to Cecilia. She admits she's curious, but she knows that her newfound friend has a reason for hiding why she's here. She knows what they said she herself did and worse, what she dimly remembers like it happened in a fevered nightmare. "You don't have to say anything, Cecilia. But I'm sure whatever it was, you regret it. Just like most of us."

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 21, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Eyebeams with hearts and sparkles? That'd make a totally awesome cartoon, even though Anna doesn't watch cartoons any more. Ever. Not even on the weekends when she happens to wake up at single-digit-AM.

But anyway, she listens, and while the talk about frigging around with the stock market and stealing things doesn't sit well with her, Rickie's encounter with bigoted policemen plops down on the mass of pizza that already sits heavily in her gut. She'd had it easy until recently, until she started getting... birdy. Not any more.

Anna nods in agreement with Tabby and opens her mouth to offer support, but Tara beats her to it. She smiles at Cecilia instead. "What she said."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia takes a deep breath, as all eyes (and eye beams) turn towards her. She ducks under the eye beams from Mini-Cec, but unfortunately the curious stares have better accuracy. She pulls her legs up again, peeking out at her new friends from just above her knees. She quickly averts her eyes, and intends to bore eye-beam-holes of her own into the second-hand jeans she had been given earlier in the day for her transfer.

To think she had gone so far in less than a day. From staring at the same four walls she had been staring at for months on end, to suddenly being forced into some smelly loaners, danced out onto an unmarked bus, and driven through a state or two to finally arrive here. At another prison. But this one... maybe it could be her second chance. A chance to not hurt people. And the first step is sharing with her house mates, even if only to warn them to stay away if that's what they wanted to do. She wouldn't even blame them if they did.

Her voice starts with a crack, "It's not that I don't want to share. I mean, of course I don't want to share, but I guess I'll have to eventually," she says, glancing at Anna unintentionally. She quickly reverts her eyes back to her jeans, "I... I killed a bunch of people. I didn't even know that I was doing it, but I guess it happened because I wrote stories and then real people died like the people I wrote about did. I don't know how it works, and I don't want to do it again."

She frowns, fighting back painful emotions, then continues, "To be honest... I felt like writing about you all earlier today. I... I wanted to warn you that... that I might write about you... and I don't know what will happen if I do. I like you all... but I wouldn't fault you if you wanted me out of the house. I... I want to be able to control this power, to stop it. I... I don't want to hurt any more people."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Their House Mother listens as Cecelia braves her fears and shares what saw her brought to the school. "It's good that you feel safe enough to share." She tells her with an encouraging smile. "And you're allowed to write if you want to, you don't need to ask first. This is a safe place for you to get to know your powers." Tabby assures the young girl.

"The papers aren't always true, Cecilia. You should try to not pay any attention to them." Tabby tries to assuage Cecelia's guilt, speaking in a softer and more gentle tone than her usual cheer ascribes. "Ms. Frost suspects the media just beat you and what happened up because it was a juicy mutant story. And she doesn't think your powers work the way they said they do."

She leans in closer to Cecilia. "In a couple of weeks, once we're all settled in, she wants to have a few private sessions with you about your writing." Tabby tells Cecilia with a small smile. "If that's alright with you."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

She's been quiet for a little while now, letting others dump their stories like she did. It's a backstory dumping session, establishing the characters and setting up their motivations.

"I'm not trying to be...a bitch, or anything, but..." she says, raising a hand like she's in class. "I don't regret it. 'M sure Cecelia is and maybe the rest of you. Maybe everything Miss Tabby says about what I did is true. I'm still glad I did it," she says with a defiant twang. Crystal ends, as she has most things, with a faint shrug and a deepening of her slouch on the couch.

"Can you write me a horse?" she asks Cecilia, sounding absolutely serious.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

The fire in her eyes somewhat dimmed, Sarah listens in silence while switching her attention back-and-forth between the various members of the room - Cecelia in particular. Her story was perhaps the hardest of all to believe - she simply didn't seem like a murderer.

"Yeah, write what you want," she says, in a rare moment of agreement with Tabby. "Doesn't bother me."

She raises an eyebrow at Crystal's request, and grins. "A horse? Really living up to the stereotype there."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Cecilia's revelation is sobering, but it gets Rickie's brain working.

"You write, it happens, and people turned up dead? Did anyone stop to do any tests, or was it just all 'Burn the witch! She turned me into a newt!'?" The Cecilia on the table sprouts a parsnip nose tied on with string and a large clay wart. Rickie snaps her fingers at it, and a second Cecilia appears. "The question is, are you controlling or predicting? Are you Memento Mori..." One Cecilia draws her legs up as her clothing darkens, perching on a life-size human skull and scribbling in a massive tome supported by a bookstand shaped like a femur, "...Or Pythia?" The other Cecilia's clothes shift into an airy white toga as she leans forward, inhaling the roiling vapors from a very realistic chasm that appears in the surface of the table.

"I think I know a couple of ways we can test it. Tabby, are the menus for our meals set up ahead of time?" Meanwhile, the Cecilia perched on the skull takes a potato chip... and eats it.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Since you girls are going to be staffing the cafeteria, we don't have set menus no."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Oh." A short pause. "Well, that puts a kink in the predictive portion. Needs some sort of event that's already been decided. But we can still determine control!" She taps Cecilia on the knee. "If you don't mind trying this, try and write down what I'll wear tomorrow morning." She leans in and whispers, "I hate pink."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Rickie." Tabby sighs, sinking back into her chair. "There's going to be plenty of time to discover our powers, you don't need to make Cecilia do it all right now."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

"Besides, if you really want to test it, ask her to write the Powerball numbers."

Anna folds her hands into her lap and smiles gently at Cecilia. "Rickie beat me to what I was going to say. I remember seeing you on the news and thinking 'there's no way she did that stuff', and I still think that."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Grew up in tornado country of west Texas. Girl or fella didn't know how to ride there, people'd think you were funny. Didn't move to Austin until I was twelve," she says to Sarah, defiantly. "It's fun. Don't knock it till you've tried it."

Crystal restrains herself from the first conception that flits into her head. No...no, it can't be that easy. So she says the next thing, "Can you get us a TV?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Tabby's admonishment causes Rickie to deflate. "Yeah, I guess. I'm just... 'inclined towards instant gratification,' I believe was the phrase the psychologist used."

Powerball, TV... "I'd rather have the horse. I've never ridden one."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Under Rickie's assertions, Cecilia just shakes her head slowly, "I don't think it works that way..."

But quickly the conversation moves from her onto TV, and Cecilia breathes a sigh of relief to have gotten through the discussion.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Tornado country? Ok, Sarah was about 50/50 on Crystal just pulling her leg now.

"A TV? Something tells me such creative thinking won't exactly be tolerated."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Okay, so everything is out on the table. Maybe she can try too. She takes a deep breath. "I spent two months in an abandoned theater eating dogs, cats, and whatever else wandered in, scaring and attacking anyone who came near until some cops came to investigate, whom I attacked and tried to eat too. One of them died." She takes another breath. "The other one was fine though. Since he didn't have an allergy. Hey, maybe the TV thing would work if you did it right, like not, 'we suddenly have a TV,' but 'you enter a contest and win a free TV' " Tara steps down from the stairs and takes another slice of pizzabomination. Still warm. For some reason, she's really hungry again.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"And some of the girls are here just because of how their powers manifested." Tabby tells the group once Tara had said her piece and gone for another slice of the monster pizza. "I do know how you feel, Tara. Thank you for sharing with us." She tells her quietly as she walks past to get her pizza.

"The nature of Tara's powers make them difficult to control. And the way she discovered them was quite traumatic for her. This is unfortunately common for young mutants, and maybe the most important reason for this experiment to succeed. Help and understanding in a safe and nurturing environment is far better for Tara and girls like her than being locked in a cell was." The House Mother seems emphatic talking about the issue, even if you didn't agree with her totally you couldn't question her belief in it.

Tabby looks to the girl in question. "Ms. Frost is arranging with your therapist for your sessions to continue." She tells Tara with a small smile. "It wouldn't benefit anybody to just cut them off because you've come here. Now this can't be in person, but you'll be able to video conference with him on Sundays."

Tara seemed to change subjects rather fluidly, so Tabby followed suit. "Or maybe, 'Blue House kicks rear end in the first week and wins a T.V'." Tabby suggests with a big smile. "But then again, you guys so don't need Cecilia's powers to do that!" You get the feeling she probably led the rah-rah on her cheer squad.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Uh huh. Go Blue House." Sarah's voice almost drips with feeling.

"So how do we get these oh-so-precious points? Answering nicely in class, picking up litter, that sort of thing?"

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

As Tabby insinuates at her powers, Cecilia stares down at her hands with a fresh look, "I can do that?!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Doggies and kitties?!

Strays, probably. Poor, homeless critters who were probably going to meet a sad fate one way or another. Still, Bambi Syndrome strikes a sour note in Anna's breast, and those chirping spiders from the auditorium didn't look like they'd hurt anything... except flies, and definitely not cops.

Therapy? She couldn't have known what she was doing then. Like Cecilia. An icy-hot splinter in her belly melts away even as it's begun to form. Her eyes dart away as she realizes she's been staring at Tara. That probably wouldn't help with the therapy.

"Maybe?" she suggests to Cecilia, shifting her attention and absently cocking her head. "Are people going to notice as much when a happy story comes true?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara's eyes lock with Anna's for a moment just as the other breaks her stare. She knows why.

"I'm glad Dr. Weylan's staying with me. He said his condition would make it hard to travel even if he could come." She feels a wave of relief. He came through. She's not sure if she actually likes how relieved that makes her feel. He's been a lot of help since Ms Frost put her in touch with him, but she can't help but feel like what little she's built up could all blow away in an instant without her sessions propping her up.

Her thoughts return to Anna--and everyone else, really. Maybe she should have waited longer, let them think whatever they wanted about her breakdown, maybe even lied a little. But at least it's out in the open. And they're not asking yet just how she gave that cop an allergic reaction. She's going to wait for another day to tell them that she's a walking collection of exotic, and very deadly, poisons.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tabby smiles at Tara. "The situation was explained to him and after all the specifics were worked out he was happy to continue with you." She tells her. "And if something… comes up, he'll be available for you during the week too. But he thinks being here with other mutants will help you a lot." She offers with a hopeful smile.

Which Sarah tries her best to sarcasm away, though Tabby keeps a small smile on her face. "You know, keeping a positive attitude does wonders Sarah." She tries to advise. "If you act like this place is the Raft then you're not going to enjoy anything here, even if you want to. But I was on the Raft, and believe me this school isn't anything like it." Tabby tells her with all seriousness. "We're trying to stop you girls from experiencing anything even close to that. We might be strict compared to the schools you used to go to, but we're giving you a second chance." She exhorts. "And you're only here because you wanted to be, remember." She directs more to Sarah again.

"But like Miss Frost said." Tabby turns to the question asked. "If you do well in your school work, or well in any extra-cirriculars you decide to take, you'll get points for it. And as Miss Frost holds you all to her own standards, you'll also get points for being genteel and ladylike and having poise and all that." Tabby doesn't seem like she'd get too many points if she had to live up to that. "Ultimately it's down to the discretion of the House Mothers though, so takes on the guidelines might differ a bit between us."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Can we do it by kicking asses?" Crystal asks. "I've got a list," she says. And it's not just a list with 'Daddy' over and over again. No, her mother's on there a couple times, the mysterious blue mutant, and some old enemies from her school, when she was at school. A normal school, that is. No, the list is only 80-85% daddy.

"Better do somethin'," Crystal considers. "Gonna be football season soon and you don't wanna see me if I miss out on that. Won't be pretty." Crystal creases her brow and thinks. "We don't have a team or anything, do we?" she asks. Who would they play against? The other school for criminal mutant girls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Need to apologize to Tara, but she's even jumpier than Cecilia. Probably a good idea to wait until later, so she doesn't feel like the spotlight's on her.

"Uh, what about dress code? Because I, uh..." raising a hand to scratch at the back of her scalp, Anna digs for a... polite phrase. "Poise I can fake, but if my power's like Murphy's Law on turbo, then the first wardrobe malfunction I have while dressing like Ms. Frost is going to take out at least three people."

• Locked thread