Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
'Fifty Shades of Whoooooooo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

UndergroundHero posted:

As for ECW, Heatwave '98 or just before it is a good point to start.

What?! You gotta start way earlier than that. That would be like suggesting starting watching the WWF at Wrestlemania X-7.

ECW's first PPV was Barely Legal in March or April 97 but they'd been putting on quality TV for a long time before that. If it was me, I'd start in late 1994/95 when Malenko, Guerrero, etc. were still around.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

You can pretty much start with Shane Douglas throwing the belt down and go from there.

Starting in 1998 is loving absurd

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Eh I tried to go back and watch some ECW, it hasn't aged very well

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

Eh I tried to go back and watch some ECW, it hasn't aged very well

People keep saying that, but I think it's absolutely awesome. Really entertaining TV. But then again, I still think Smoky Mountain Wrestling holds up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

LordPants posted:

People keep saying that, but I think it's absolutely awesome. Really entertaining TV. But then again, I still think Smoky Mountain Wrestling holds up.

Maybe I just watched some bad episodes, I dunno. I'll give it another shot sometime.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, ECW still holds up fairly well, as long as you ignore some of the promo segments. They tried some stuff that would have been cutting edge back then and just look tacky now.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

LordPants posted:

I watched a show a while back where the Impact Players start beating down I think Tommy Dreamer, and I marked so hard when Natural Born Killaz hit, an New Jack came down and started beating the hell outta people. I dunno old ECW just has Mediocre to great wrasslin, decent story. I dare say the only horrendous thing about it is Joel Gertner and the 100 promos in five minutes segments.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

triplexpac posted:

Maybe I just watched some bad episodes, I dunno. I'll give it another shot sometime.
To me ECW has always been half great cutting-edge work and half hardcore garbage with little in-between. Oh look, Malenko is wrestling Eddie. Oh look, the Sandman is smacking himself with beer cans while the crowd chants "ECW" for ten goddamned minutes

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Hardcore TV was so hit and miss. Especially from 1996-1998 - you might get 3 awesome matches from Hardcore Heaven 96 and a bunch of great promos, or maybe you'd get Louie Spicolli vs Axl Rotten and then 300 commercials for tapes/shirts and an interview or two.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cromulent posted:

Hardcore TV was so hit and miss. Especially from 1996-1998 - you might get 3 awesome matches from Hardcore Heaven 96 and a bunch of great promos, or maybe you'd get Louie Spicolli vs Axl Rotten and then 300 commercials for tapes/shirts and an interview or two.

And they would all advertise footage of the night that Kimona danced on top of the ECW arena

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

And they would all advertise footage of the night that Kimona danced on top of the ECW arena

I was so disappointed when I finally saw that

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

I CAN STILL HEAR THE ADS IN MY HEAD.

triplexpac posted:

Have you considered the option that you may enjoy the company of men and their penises.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

VogeGandire posted:

Have you considered the option that you may enjoy the company of men and their penises.

I just thought that after all that hype it would be better :( Joey Styles got my hopes unreasonably high!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Saul Goode posted:

What?! You gotta start way earlier than that. That would be like suggesting starting watching the WWF at Wrestlemania X-7.

ECW's first PPV was Barely Legal in March or April 97 but they'd been putting on quality TV for a long time before that. If it was me, I'd start in late 1994/95 when Malenko, Guerrero, etc. were still around.

I would say start in 99. I tried going back and watching 95 and 96 and while there was the occassional Malenko vs Guerrero or Mysterio vs Psychosis match, the majority of the shows was just absolute crap. Almost every match seemed to be a lame brawl through the crowd constantly hitting each other with weapons match. I also don't think I've ever seen a Shane Douglas, Sandman, or Raven match in ECW that I wasn't bored to death by. ECW got immensely more enjoyable to me once Douglas left.

In 99, there was way more of a focus on wrestling. I much prefer the Lynn vs Storm, Tajiri vs Supercrazy, Doring & Roadkill vs Chetti & Supernova, RVD vs Lynn era. (Say what you want about RVD/Lynn, it was lightyears above the RVD/Sabu of 96) The extreme stuff was edgier with Tanaka vs Mike Awesome, Dudley Boys insulting the crowds for 10 minutes and causing near riots, New Jack bringing a garbage can of weapons into the ring and playing his music throughout the match. (Unlike the boring hardcore brawls of the past, this was so over the top that the matches were fun to watch because of comedic value) The wacky stuff was funnier with Steve Corino, Mikey Wripwreck aligning himself with the Sinister Minster, Simon Diamond and his entourage, the arrival of Sid, Cyrus the Virus vs Joel Gertner battles, the Baldies, Dawn Marie as a manager.. ECW 1999 was the best time.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

VogeGandire posted:

I CAN STILL HEAR THE ADS IN MY HEAD.

WATCH TOMMY DREAMER, BATTLE "PRIMETIME" BRIAN LEE, IT'S HIGH INCIDENT!

PUBLIC ENEMY VS. THE GANGSTAS AND 911 WITH BILL ALFANSO AS THE SPECIAL REFEREE!

SEE THE HISTORIC BATTLE OF THE BAM BAMS, AS BAM BAM BIGELOW TAKES ON TERRY "BAM BAM" GORDY!

AND FOR THE FIRST TIME, UNEDITED, NEVER BEFORE SEEN...*hushed* it's the night Kimona Wanalaya...danced atop the ECW Arena.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Wasnt there some scummy story around that like she didnt know it was being filmed or she had to do it because the show started late?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

IIRC, the lighting rig was hosed, so to kill time, she volunteered to go out and dance. It's not really scummy.

Fun fact: At this point, she was dating Chris Jericho. He had no idea it was gonna happen until she came out on stage.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

IIRC, the lighting rig was hosed, so to kill time, she volunteered to go out and dance. It's not really scummy.

I could have sworn Raven or sandman talked about it in their shoots - curse my bad memory

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't remember any particular scum surrounding it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

VogeGandire posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't remember any particular scum surrounding it.

The ECW audience was there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Fun fact: At this point, she was dating Chris Jericho. He had no idea it was gonna happen until she came out on stage.

I thought she did volunteer but was promised that it would not be recorded.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That sounds like bullshit to me, just because the camera is up on stage with her. It'd be pretty hard not to notice the only other guy on stage holding a camera.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Manwithastick posted:

Wasnt there some scummy story around that like she didnt know it was being filmed or she had to do it because the show started late?

Joey Styles, in one of the promos, said she didn't know (I guess that was a selling point somehow?). I don't know if that was true or not.

Or maybe bobkatt013 is right. Dunno!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

That sounds like bullshit to me, just because the camera is up on stage with her. It'd be pretty hard not to notice the only other guy on stage holding a camera.

This is ECW we are talking about where one of people filming is a known pedophile.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has there really only been 7 televised Iron Man matches in WWE? I know they don't happen often but that seems strange to me. Any particular reason why there hasn't been one in 3 years? Do they think they don't work well nowadays with kids being their main audience?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CobiWann posted:

WATCH TOMMY DREAMER, BATTLE "PRIMETIME" BRIAN LEE, IT'S HIGH INCIDENT!

PUBLIC ENEMY VS. THE GANGSTAS AND 911 WITH BILL ALFANSO AS THE SPECIAL REFEREE!

SEE THE HISTORIC BATTLE OF THE BAM BAMS, AS BAM BAM BIGELOW TAKES ON TERRY "BAM BAM" GORDY!

AND FOR THE FIRST TIME, UNEDITED, NEVER BEFORE SEEN...*hushed* it's the night Kimona Wanalaya...danced atop the ECW Arena.

hahaha I can hear it perfectly.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Valeyard posted:

Has there really only been 7 televised Iron Man matches in WWE? I know they don't happen often but that seems strange to me. Any particular reason why there hasn't been one in 3 years? Do they think they don't work well nowadays with kids being their main audience?

They've really never been worth all that much as a draw. I think it's as simple as that, and the mandatory time limit takes away a lot of the drama over nearfalls, which often makes for a boring first 3/4 of a match.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think the only WWE Iron Man match I've actually enjoyed was Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

They've really never been worth all that much as a draw. I think it's as simple as that, and the mandatory time limit takes away a lot of the drama over nearfalls, which often makes for a boring first 3/4 of a match.

Not to mention it's hard to find guys who can go an hour and actually make it a good match.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Or you get matches like HBK/Bret in which the only fall is after the time limit expired.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My biggest problem with iron man matches is when falls come a lot faster than they normally would. A typical PPV main event is what? Like 15 minutes bare minimum? Then why might it take only 8-10 minutes for someone to get a fall in an iron man match?

This obviously doesn't apply to HBK/Bret.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The version of the story I heard was that Kimona was told it wouldn't be distributed. and I believe they ended up having to do it because the ring loving broke before the main event.

ECW was hit or miss, but at the time it's misses were still so different from watching god damned T.L. Hopper beat up Stan Stansky that I happily accepted it. A lot of it has aged like hell, but I can still watch it with the benefit of fast forward for Axl Rotten related things. Heck, I even enjoyed a lot of the TNN run because Paul would be like "Hey guys, here's Masato Tanaka and Mike Awesome assaulting each other for 20 minutes and you know it's going to end with some sort of ungodly powerbomb."

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Glamorama26 posted:

ECW was hit or miss, but at the time it's misses were still so different from watching god damned T.L. Hopper beat up Stan Stansky that I happily accepted it.

This is a pretty great summary of what I found so attractive about ECW back in the day. Some good wrestling, some garbage matches, but by god it was completely different than anything else I was watching.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Somebody mentioned Heatwave 98.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

89 posted:

Where did Rob jump from... because it sure as gently caress wasn't the other corner, Jesus!

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Diabolik900 posted:

My biggest problem with iron man matches is when falls come a lot faster than they normally would. A typical PPV main event is what? Like 15 minutes bare minimum? Then why might it take only 8-10 minutes for someone to get a fall in an iron man match?

This obviously doesn't apply to HBK/Bret.

This can be psychologically explained by saying that expending the energy to kick out there isn't as vital as it is in a normal match. It can be made up for later, and taking the fall now saves your energy in the long haul.

HBK/Bret was actually pretty boring, lots of restholds and it didn't work with the gimmick outside 'really loving long match'. I didn't mind Triple H vs. Rock in 2000 - actually used the gimmick well in a lot of ways:

1: No Point in counting both of them out as a Ref, what am I gonna do, award them both a fall? Rock and Triple H wander around the arena for a bit, without it being tossed into Hardcore-style match
2: Triple H wangs Rock with a chair, gets DQed. Pins Rock, gets fall back.
3: Someone actually losing to a Sleeper Hold, in a way that makes sense and doesn't cheapen the match
4: Count Out being part of the match instead of just a screwjob finish
5: Rock making a huge babyface comeback right near the end after trailing by 2 in the last 5 minutes
6: Huge Clusterfuck surrounding the timer, using the plot point that Sudden Death wouldn't happen with a tie.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gaz-L posted:

Where did Rob jump from... because it sure as gently caress wasn't the other corner, Jesus!

Someone in the crowd points at where he's jumping from, in the hat.

UndashingOne
May 31, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

The turnbuckle diagonally across from Sabu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

89 posted:

Heat wave 98 was my first ECW show and between this and the dudleys they made me a fan

Nobody could rile the crowd like the Dudleys