Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunnie
Dec 23, 2011
I'm having trouble with IAD on analog stick. Anyone have any tips? I can get it 50% of the time by just mashing 99 but that's not really enough. Going 956 for some reason just doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really having trouble with one of Kanji's challenges because it requires me to use One More, which I find near-impossible on a controller.

Groghammer posted:

Map One More to one of the shoulder buttons.

:hurr:

I knew I should have screwed around with that stuff.

Arist fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 17, 2012

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Map One More to one of the shoulder buttons.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Pros: This game feels a lot like Guilty Gear only nobody has any absolutely absurd inputs like Gamma Ray (which is still a pain in the rear end if you try and cheese it with a triple half-circle forward)

Cons: As someone who couldn't really get into the Persona games, the story modes strike me as absurdly wordy for what's actually going on. Also, I'm convinced that those absolute sons of bitches at Capcom have a software patent on having an arcade mode with Fight Request, which sucks balls on toast because that system most accurately reflects the arcade experience: Playing against the CPU while having no idea whether the next person to step up will have the slightest idea of what they're doing or not.

On a completely unrelated note, it's made me pine for a 3D fighter based on the events after Fallout: New Vegas. Veronica VS Lily Bowen in the Ultra-Luxe YOU'D PLAY IT

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, they probably won't include Labrys into Golden, because of the timeline, but I wonder if they wouldn't make a nod towards it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Speedball posted:

Y'know, they probably won't include Labrys into Golden, because of the timeline, but I wonder if they wouldn't make a nod towards it.

Doesn't the events of this game take place months after p4 concludes?

I thought p4golden was just a p4++ redux, or am I missing something?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

That is true. On the flipside of things, you do get to apparently play through the spring months that the original version of P4 skips.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sunnie posted:

I'm having trouble with IAD on analog stick. Anyone have any tips? I can get it 50% of the time by just mashing 99 but that's not really enough. Going 956 for some reason just doesn't work.

Just practice a lot, I used to do these fairly consistently on a 360 pad before I finally got a stick. I will say that, while I've heard that 99(or 77) works for iad's in this game, I still cannot do them unless I do 96 (or 74).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Evil Canadian posted:

The Golden has an epilogue about 6-8 months after the events of the game, apparently. Which conveniently puts it after Arena (and Arena Golden, Arena Awakened, Arena Memento Mori SP...)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

404GoonNotFound posted:

after Arena (and Arena Golden, Arena Awakened, Arena Memento Mori SP...)

Don't say that, this is exactly what I am dreading :(

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

Pretty sure that epilogue talks about how something weird happened in golden week 2012, as far as I've heard.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

404GoonNotFound posted:

The Golden has an epilogue about 6-8 months after the events of the game, apparently. Which conveniently puts it after Arena (and Arena Golden, Arena Awakened, Arena Memento Mori SP...)

I thought that Golden had the time period between the end of the investigation and the final chapter which was like 2-3 months. In P4 you end the game well before the final dungeon

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Meme Emulator posted:

I thought that Golden had the time period between the end of the investigation and the final chapter which was like 2-3 months. In P4 you end the game well before the final dungeon

Persona 4 ends in March 2012, but in Golden if you get the Good Ending or better you actually have the period from December-March playable to max out S.Links/grind for more levels/go on a new Ski Trip/etc. Then 2 months later in May Arena happens, and then 4-6 months after that (maybe longer, I haven't played it myself yet) there's a new non-playable epilogue in Golden if you got the True Ending.

Then a few years later there's that poo poo with Naoto and the robot motorcycle but nobody wants to talk about that (see also: Trinity Soul).

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

blue font posted:

Who, would you say has the easiest challenges? I want to unlock the Mitsuru navigator, but execution has never been my strong suit.

Shadow Labrys has the easiest set of challenges. You just kind of have to learn how her Persona mechanic works, basically you just input the Persona move at the same time as Shadow Labrys herself while she's doing another move.
So like there's one where you have to use the Persona's crouching C attack after you do an air combo, so the way to do it is to input the crouching C at the during the animation of QCF+B in the air with Shadow Labrys.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Persona 4 ends in March 2012, but in Golden if you get the Good Ending or better you actually have the period from December-March playable to max out S.Links/grind for more levels/go on a new Ski Trip/etc. Then 2 months later in May Arena happens, and then 4-6 months after that (maybe longer, I haven't played it myself yet) there's a new non-playable epilogue in Golden if you got the True Ending.

Then a few years later there's that poo poo with Naoto and the robot motorcycle but nobody wants to talk about that (see also: Trinity Soul).

Nah, the Naoto book is supposed to take place the same year as the epilogue, which is one year after P4. Trinity Soul is 10 years after P3 so... 8 years after P4? Regardless it was pretty much officially disowned by Atlus.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

LOL, why? Is it really bad.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ixiggle posted:

Check to make sure you're not super jumping (you'll see a slight trailing image and jump way higher). You can't double jump after a super jump. For the double jump itself, what you're doing is cancelling the 4th j.B into a jump, and it needs to be fairly deliberate for it to come out. So think of it like j.b, upforward, j.b. It'll only cancel if you do the jump input right around when it hits the opponent. if they're teching out before the double jump B hits, then just try to hit b faster after doing the jump.

Cool thanks. The concepts of jump canceling and similar techniques have always been foreign to me so this will give me some much needed practice.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm really having trouble with one of Kanji's challenges because it requires me to use One More, which I find near-impossible on a controller.

:hurr:

I knew I should have screwed around with that stuff.
Alternately, I play this game on pad and to use One More I hit the trigger button mapped to A+C and the button mapped to B at the same time.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

demons. posted:

LOL, why? Is it really bad.

I dunno, it looks pretty good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gFNhbGaVFI

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Don't forget Goonsgarden tonight on PS3, will be streamed, still time to sign up:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xk8bfuk3ms

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Don't forget that they put Vincent from Catherine in P3P as well so it wouldn't be something new with Atlus.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Anyone have tips for what to do as Labrys when you knock a person down? It doesn't seem like you have time to set up a Sword, so I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing as her to keep up the corner pressure.

I'm pretty new to fighting games, so this is all so weird to me... still, I like that P4U makes it mostly pretty simple.

e: While I'm at it, might as well ask: how is the PSN tournament going to work? This is my first time, so I'm clueless.

khazre
May 31, 2008

Golden Battler posted:

Anyone have tips for what to do as Labrys when you knock a person down? It doesn't seem like you have time to set up a Sword, so I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing as her to keep up the corner pressure.

I'm pretty new to fighting games, so this is all so weird to me... still, I like that P4U makes it mostly pretty simple.

e: While I'm at it, might as well ask: how is the PSN tournament going to work? This is my first time, so I'm clueless.

I think that challonge website will create brackets for people to play. From there, just connect to your opponent and play.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

khazre posted:

I think that challonge website will create brackets for people to play. From there, just connect to your opponent and play.

Correct. Also, I hope more people from the psn scrub list sign up for the tournament. Otherwise I won't make it past my second opponent again!

...Who am I kidding, that's gonna happen anyways. :D

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Note: "Quick Match" is bullshit, it's way quicker to select "Custom Match" and set it to show all results.

On that note, I'm UltimateHutsler on PSN and I've been maining Teddie because of my tendency to try the weirdest-looking character first.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

redmercer posted:

Note: "Quick Match" is bullshit, it's way quicker to select "Custom Match" and set it to show all results.

On that note, I'm UltimateHutsler on PSN and I've been maining Teddie because of my tendency to try the weirdest-looking character first.

You are playing in the tournament tonight because god damnit I want a Teddy player in it.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
I'm a fighting game scrub currently swapping between Teddie and Labrys on the 360. My XBL account is "Johnny 5 Aces" and I'm down for a tournament Saturday night. Maybe Friday night too.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Hey pad warriors, here's my cool as heck button layout:

Face Buttons: whatever you want
L1/Button: grab
L2/Trigger: furious action
R1/Button: one more cancel (this does the rolling dash thingy if you arent hitting them)
R2/Trigger: burst

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

darealkooky posted:

Hey pad warriors, here's my cool as heck button layout:

Face Buttons: whatever you want
L1/Button: grab
L2/Trigger: furious action
R1/Button: one more cancel (this does the rolling dash thingy if you arent hitting them)
R2/Trigger: burst

Nice. But what about L3/R3?

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008
Hey so the "confirmed" September 7th EU release date turned out to be another rumour. That's cool, I spend more time complaining about region issues than playing fighting games anyway.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

Zexerous posted:

Don't forget Goonsgarden tonight on PS3, will be streamed, still time to sign up:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xk8bfuk3ms

Signed up for tonight. Can't wait. Neither can Mitsuru...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wish I could make it. I've been practicing with Yosuke and would hope to lose less embarrassingly than last time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Golden Battler posted:

If you knockdown with Guillotine or Air Guillotine, you don't really have any good options as you're basically at neutral.

What you can do with ground combos is end on a sweep, canceled into the sword. So for example, 2AA 5B 2A+B 22B~[C]

Now I don't even know if you're really at advantage off this or not, but the sword being out there and the distance it leaves you at means you are in a pretty good spot to get another mixup in regardless.

Some of your options off this depend on what you might expect the other player to do. Some examples:

.. Run up and 5AA. Do this as fast as possible, tends to catch people trying to chicken block or otherwise jump away.

.. Run up and throw, release sword. This isn't bad as you get a combo after the throw for free. But it is a run up and throw so ... it's not really that great. Might be better in the corner off an empty jump in or other bit of trickery.

.. Roll, release sword early. Tries to catch them as a crossup or to bait an R-Action. Kind of iffy, depends on spacing I think.

.. Jump forward, air block, release sword. This one catches people trying to do R-Actions to a degree, you'll either block their DP (if they have one), or catch their R-Action with the sword if they have a counter-type. If they block instead, no problem, now they are in guard stun and you can go for an A2G or crossup mixup or whatever else you want.

.. Instant Air Dash j.B and immediately release the sword (you don't even have to hold it for this one). Basically, trying to catch them in a really fast crossup. Also works against jumpouts to ... some degree.

I'm still learning and playing with these setups so I can't really say what is all that solid or not. So take a look at them and see what you think.

There are some other, different oki setups she has too, but I think they all need Red level to do. I can't remember the exact setups off the top of my head, but they essentially look like: ... 2B 2C 5DD 214B

And basically what that does is causes the other person to tech out into the 5DD, which is pretty good and will give you some time for another mixup. Unfortunately I think you need to end your combo short to do these? I haven't really messed with them much yet, will probably do that later.

Another thing I kind of like, if you use the combo 5AAA 236B-6-A, this leaves them up in the air and you on the ground. If you were close to the corner, you can fish for an unblockable 2B by watching closely. If you are far away, you should have time to set up some defense, in the form of a Sword or perhaps 5DD or 5C.

khazre
May 31, 2008
I went through the ps3 list and added all of the "scrubs". Here is my PSN:

MastaBeta

I play Mitsuru and Chie. I also signed up for the tourney tonight. Should be fun!

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Zexerous posted:

You are playing in the tournament tonight because god damnit I want a Teddy player in it.

Don't worry. Teddie is covered by my entry.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

cronox2 posted:

Don't worry. Teddie is covered by my entry.

Please represent! I'm still not sure who I'll play tomorrow on 360, but Teddie is in the top 4 I'm currently narrowing it down from.

Bear avatar team 4TW!

Ankle-biter fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 18, 2012

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Elephunk posted:

Story mode for Teddie isn't so bad, turbo button that stuff (it will still take 8 hours).

All challenges for Mitsuru isn't so bad (and she's the best one), I took another goon's advice and did the Shadow Labrys challenges. I can't win a round with her against anybody but her challenges are short and not hard once you understand how her Jojos super works.

I wish I knew the real way to unlock Yosuke... no way is that 1000 IKs right...
I think that 1000 IKs isn't the only thing that unlocks him as a navigator. It seems that there's a few conditions you can meet - I read somewhere that beating Arcade mode as him without a loss unlocks him. Who knows for sure though. True ballers have no navigator and listen to your character go YATATATATATA all the time anyway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know what Labrys' accent reminds me of?

Old B.O.B. from The Black Hole, voiced by cowboy Slim Pickens. The explanation? He was programmed in Houston! (Which is a perfectly fine explanation. I would not be surprised if Labrys was put together in Osaka.)

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
:psyboom: Holy Christ. So I finally "graduated" from Easy mode and started playing on Normal and playing Online a little bit. I can usually hold my own against players and atleast take them down to their Awakened form, but I am absolutely terrible at fighting Yu. I main Elizabeth, and it seems like every one of his attacks is made to break through my defenses. If they're not spamming Zio, they're spamming the Electric Slide. If they're not using the Electric Slide, they're doing a 5A Combo. It would help if I wasn't so bad at blocking, but there's no hope when they use attacks like Maziodyne. Any tips for this fool of a goon?

In my experience, it seems like a lot of Elizabeth's attacks have a long charge-up time. Maragidyne takes forever to actually commence, but I often find myself accidently using it a lot when I'm too slow using Ghastly Wail. I have terrible luck pulling off Mamudoon and Mahamaon, so I tend not to use them. I tend to rely on a few different combos and her other SP attacks to get through matches, but I make a lot of mistakes when I tense up.

Also, I play online on PSN sometimes, but I lack confidence in my abilities. If you see KnifingGrimace online, that's me.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Yeah don't bother with Mamudoon or Mahamaon, you'll never land them outside some very elaborate combos.

• Locked thread