Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tewratomeh posted:

That was the only one I might have guessed given enough time to think about it. The rest were just totally vague, to the point where they could apply to pretty much any game ever made.

I figured out the Ninja Gaiden one pretty quick. It just sounds right. The rest though, so vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I too only got the Ninja Gaiden one correct. One episode I'd like to see from season 14 is Megaman 4. This completes all the Megaman challenges until the Megaman 5 episode. Can't wait for more of the Catch a Copy Segment.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I thought the Doki Doki Panic Catch Copy would be for Super Mario Bros. 2/The Lost Levels, with reasoning of 'too' being used as a play on 'two'. Right title, wrong version/region :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Unfortunately Season 14 houses the infamously dreadful Ocarina of Time two-parter.

On the pro side of things Super Star Soldier, Ninja Spirit, and Tower of Babel are episode I liked. Not top tier episodes but enjoyable ones.

I've been thinking of putting together an American Catch-A-Copy flash game but I only have so many waking hours...

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

zari-gani posted:

Especially Nakayama -- dude looks terrified the first time he answers. His hand is shaking.
That's actually a brave effort on his part to suppress the Ponkoron Reflex.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Wish they'd use that pic every time they bring up Inoko MAX. "Oh, she's returned home..."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I typically give some broad hints here about what happens in the episode but I can't do it. This one is so crazy that I feel that all I'd do is give away the fun. What I can tell you is that you've never seen a challenge like Binary Land; it is going to blow your minds.

Translating this episode is the always surprising zari-gani. You never know what she's going to bring out next.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 400.05 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

I did want to explain something from the episode. Come back to this after you watch it:

Arino actually calls Nakayama a "freeter" during the episode. A freeter is a young Japanese person who has not taken up his social role of joining a corporation. Since that's a term that people won't be familiar with unless they're keeping up with societal trends in Japan I changed it to "slacker". The concepts are extremely close and it keeps Arino's joke, but I thought people might like to know about this one since it's an interesting phenomenon that mirrors a lot of what's happened in the west in the past few years.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 18, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Oh my god I'm so excited! :neckbeard: I love you guys so much. :3:

Hey! This is my forums birthday! This is the best forum birthday present ever!

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 18, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
YES! :dance:

Now, I regret not buying alcohol for tonight. :(

Edit: It's a DVD challenge, which means I haven't seen it yet. :dance: :dance:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The purpose of SA was to reach this point, so that GCCX episodes could be translated

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Here's a rare picture of the Arinos, for absolutely no reason!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Nice hair arino, and im not being sarcastic.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I like seeing these DVD challenges. I haven't seen this raw yet, but have played this game before and is a lot of fun. It is not super hard, but will give Arino a good challenge.

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

I'm so excited, Binary Land is one of my favorite "feel good" games ever. I like it so much that I made a reproduction NES cart of it out of an Othello game and drew up a couple labels for it:

Thanks for the upload!

Dizzybone fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What could possibly make for a crazier episode than Paris-Dakar Rally Special? Downloading this poo poo immediately.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What could possibly make for a crazier episode than Paris-Dakar Rally Special? Downloading this poo poo immediately.

I wouldn't say crazier...

Maybe equally crazy.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 18, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I bust out laughing when he went underwater in the rally. and then start getting depth charges dropped on him. and then tanks.. The most hardcore dakar rally ever.

I don't see how that game was anything but true to the spirit of the rally :colbert:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

Unfortunately Season 14 houses the infamously dreadful Ocarina of Time two-parter.

Well, they've got to be done eventually. I don't know how you guys have things planned but I know you're trying to shield us from the more boring episodes but if you do that forever all the end of the series will be is the ones you didn't want to do. Best to try and squeeze them in with 2-3 good challenges and just get them over with, yea?

Of course, you guys do this stuff, not me, so do whatever and we'll all be happy you're doing it regardless.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This is only a tangential-to-SAGCCX question, but when it comes to downloading torrents, is there any way for me to reshuffle/rename the files without completely losing the ability to share them?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

MechaIke had an entire hour-long episode devoted to Arino's wedding... or second wedding for the sake of the show, or something, because they got married before their first daughter and she's clearly shown in this. ETA: Nevermind, it was some other kid who's related to Arino. Danged watermark getting in the way.

I managed to download the special and though I haven't watched the whole thing, here are some screencaps:

And I translated this thing I found online just 'cause.

Crotch Bat posted:

Well, they've got to be done eventually. I don't know how you guys have things planned but I know you're trying to shield us from the more boring episodes but if you do that forever all the end of the series will be is the ones you didn't want to do.

That's not entirely true, because I've done many episodes I'm not fond of for the sake of finishing seasons or doing a bunch of episodes chronologically. I'm not doing every single great episode all at once. I'm aware I have to get some of the boring ones over with and I've dealt with a few already.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 18, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's lots of good stuff left. I won't mention any more names than I already have but it's out there but look at our recent releases; not a clunker episode among them and a few absolutely spectacular challenges. And there's two more challenges in the timing stage that are also incredible.

There's maybe ten episodes left that I personally wouldn't prioritize but won't begrudge anyone for wanting to see them (I know Ocarina of Time will be one of our most viewed episodes). And there's plenty of room for different views on the episodes; there's one that's proved to be very popular that I can't stand (I'm not going to name it).

Actually the really tough hurdle is the two parters that remain and the show seems more fond of them lately.

Ciaphas posted:

This is only a tangential-to-SAGCCX question, but when it comes to downloading torrents, is there any way for me to reshuffle/rename the files without completely losing the ability to share them?

As far as I know, no this is not possible. Changing anything in a torrent requires that you make a whole new torrent for it in order to share. This is why I've been doing that folder structure with the GCCX torrents; we can merge things together when a season finishes into one big torrent.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 18, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Actually the really tough hurdle is the two parters that remain and the show seems more fond of them lately.

Yes. Let it be known right now that no matter how great the game or amazing the challenge, I hate doing two-parters.

A common question people ask is why we don't release the episodes chronologically. I wasn't around when SAGCCX first formed but honestly, I think it's because none of us in SAGCCX thought we'd be able to pump out releases at this rate, so we began with some of our personal favourites and it kinda exploded from there.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 18, 2012

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Azureus (Vuze) atleast allows to do this, you open up the torrent, browse for the file you want to move/rename, right click it and do what you want. You can also do this during the download phase, if you want to unfolder a season, right click the upper part with the torrent and select other saving spot.

Heads up for people who haven't still preordered the DVD box, it has dropped in price on Amazon, from 54usd to 49.99.

And finally, a big Thank You for all the hard work on all the episodes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

And I translated this thing I found online just 'cause.

Ok, there's been a lot of funny things to come out of GCCX but that's the best one. It's also the most :3:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Paris-Dakar Rally Episode was so very great. Between all the different game modes and the problem that occurs towards the end, I wasn't certain whether or not Arino was going to be able to finish. Especially when it starts out with him spending something like three hours on the first driving stage. Thanks again for translating it, guys.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What's the Japanese equivalent of going Dutch?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Thank you guys for the Binary Land episode. I think it's hilarious that the bosses were Arino talking about his love life, including revealing a secret that his wife doesn't know.

Also, does the whale power-up last the entire round or until you lose a life due to time? If so, that's a pretty drat broken invincibility item.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

Thank you guys for the Binary Land episode. I think it's hilarious that the bosses were Arino talking about his love life, including revealing a secret that his wife doesn't know.

Also, does the whale power-up last the entire round or until you lose a life due to time? If so, that's a pretty drat broken invincibility item.

I think it's about fifteen seconds though I'd have to play it again to confirm that and I'm kind of tied up wrapping up another episode. That's more than enough time to run through the entire level though you do see Arino run out of it at one point in the episode.

Also watch Inoko MAX's face when Nakayama gives his tip on picking up women. That cracked me up.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

zari-gani posted:

That's just a traditional Japanese outfit for special occasions.

I laughed for a good minute at this combination of posts. :laugh:

Also I just watched the America special from last year. It was fantastic! I really hope they come back soon.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 18, 2012

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm pretty sure Binary Land repeats the same stages over and over but with more obstacles, so getting the whale which eliminates those obstacles completely makes most stages trivial. I never noticed that when I played it on my NES way back when, and it explains why Arino clears the whole thing so quickly and easily despite the large amount of stages.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

There's lots of good stuff left. I won't mention any more names than I already have but it's out there but look at our recent releases; not a clunker episode among them and a few absolutely spectacular challenges. And there's two more challenges in the timing stage that are also incredible.

There's maybe ten episodes left that I personally wouldn't prioritize but won't begrudge anyone for wanting to see them (I know Ocarina of Time will be one of our most viewed episodes). And there's plenty of room for different views on the episodes; there's one that's proved to be very popular that I can't stand (I'm not going to name it).

(I'm going to assume that when you say clunker episode you mean sort of a boring one) If the Link to the Past is any indication, OoT will be a boring episode challenge wise.
And it's a two-parter, so it's a bit tough to get through. They might be able to show off a bit more of the game than they did with LttP.

But yeah I guess I can agree with you that it's going to be one of the most viewed episodes. I wonder if it'll get a lot more people interested in GCCX.

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010
Thank you so much again SAGCCX!
Excited for a break to watch this.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Oh man, so many new episodes in such a short time! You guys are spoiling us rotten.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

What's the Japanese equivalent of going Dutch?

Warikan, shortened from warimae kanjou ("paying for one's own portion").

Ineffiable posted:

And it's a two-parter, so it's a bit tough to get through. They might be able to show off a bit more of the game than they did with LttP.

You would think...

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 18, 2012

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Both of these new releases were great. Fantastic job, guys.

I think Paris-Dakar Rally is the most schizophrenic racing game I've ever seen, and that's coming from someone whose favorite racing game is described as a "CarPG". Binary Land was a great choice for the "Puzzle Chief", and I love how they chose to gloss over most of the gameplay in favor of the Romantic Episode questions.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Lord Abe's Ambition

(larger version)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Lord Abe's Ambition

(larger version)

Now I'm picturing a Takashi Miike directed revenge flick (in every sense of the word) about Abe and Suda teaming up to take Arino down. He's made them miss the last train home for the final time...

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

holy poo poo I never seen anyone this bad at mario world. This is a great show.

[e] Wow, I'm glad I didn't get that far in Pac-man 2 as a kid, that game is full of so much bullshit.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

Binary Land was a great choice for the "Puzzle Chief", and I love how they chose to gloss over most of the gameplay in favor of the Romantic Episode questions.

No wonder Arino is so happy all the time. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Now I'm picturing a Takashi Miike directed revenge flick (in every sense of the word) about Abe and Suda teaming up to take Arino down. He's made them miss the last train home for the final time...

Oh yes, please! I need something like that in my life, with the whole gang. Inoko, always between the gutter and the brothel. Tanii, the sheriff with the Yakuza in his back pocket. Kibe, a retired lawman and father of 6 with a target on his back. And Toujima, the one man who can help Abe. This summer, in the ultimate Cameraman Story, Scoldboy: Visitor CX.

At the very least, Kan could voice the hell out of that promo.