Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Okay, just met Labrys.

I will now spend the rest of the story campaign waiting for her to say, "Of course you realize, this means war."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Coca Koala posted:

I've never cared about a fighting game from it's release before; any idea when frame data will start coming out? I'm curious to look up startup and active frames on some stuff, but it doesn't look like anybody's posted it on dustloop or MM.

Some of them appear to be up on the Japanese wiki, here's Labrys for example:
http://w.livedoor.jp/p4u_matome/d/%a5%e9%a5%d3%a5%ea%a5%b9%a1%a1%b4%f0%cb%dc%a5%c7%a1%bc%a5%bf

But doesn't look like everyone has data up yet ...

Fun new lesson learned, Labrys's 236P-6-A is at fame advantage on block.

Throws are 5F startup it looks like, good to finally know that.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 18, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there a reliable way to get past Elizabeth beamspam? I'm playing as Yu, and can always get in after a little bit because rushdown is kind of his thing, but I always wind up taking a few hits in the meantime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oxxidation posted:

Is there a reliable way to get past Elizabeth beamspam?

Super Jump from the beam and then air dash towards Liz when you hit the peak of your jump, you should basically be right in front of her when Ziodyne is clearing up.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

If you're both in Awakening with lots of meter and she's zoning you out, you can return the favor by OMC'ing a Ziodyne super from fullscreen, then running in and mixing her up while she's stuck blocking the beam. Even if she blocks it all it's a guaranteed way to get in her face.

Also, I'm pretty sure Yu can punish either of her beams if you can identify which one it is. The one with really fast startup has long recovery and you can block then 214D even from far away. I think 214D can punish the long startup one too, but you have to slide at her before it comes out.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Oxxidation posted:

Is there a reliable way to get past Elizabeth beamspam? I'm playing as Yu, and can always get in after a little bit because rushdown is kind of his thing, but I always wind up taking a few hits in the meantime.

- Unless she uses meter her beam will either have a long cooldown or a long startup, letting you get ground

- Superjump -> airdash/raging lion

- slide under the beam with swift strike

- shoot the odd zio/ziodyne

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
I've been playing Liz all night as my first online char. It's not hard at all for most people to close with me.

Also, as an aside...gently caress the last sliver of health. I dunno what it is, but the game won't let you kill people unless you get a solid hit on the last sliver. I've had a ton of games tonight where I get to about half health and the other person has a sliver left. I simply cannot kill them and they comeback all the time. I don't understand why this is going on and it's literally killing me!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

darealkooky posted:

Elizabeth Tips Part 2

Thanks so much for these tips, guys. It re-affirms some of the current strategies I hold, yet also gives me a lot of ideas on how to step up my game. You're awesome!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ankle-biter posted:

Also, as an aside...gently caress the last sliver of health. I dunno what it is, but the game won't let you kill people unless you get a solid hit on the last sliver. I've had a ton of games tonight where I get to about half health and the other person has a sliver left. I simply cannot kill them and they comeback all the time. I don't understand why this is going on and it's literally killing me!

You just can't get killed from chip damage. It makes knowing how to block even more important, and means that if you're really drat good you can actually turn a match around even at 1 HP.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

BlitzBlast posted:

You just can't get killed from chip damage. It makes knowing how to block even more important, and means that if you're really drat good you can actually turn a match around even at 1 HP.

Yes. I hate this. On the up-side...I'm now E-! I'm no longer the worst fighter ever! I'm moving up the scrub tier!

I'm guessing there's no tourney for 360 tonight, but if any makes a scrub lobby feel free to invite me! GT: Anklebiter25

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

The A version of the laser has fast startup but really long recovery. Like Wixard said, this can actually be punished on block from full screen away with the D version of Swift Strike or the C version of Ziodyne. If the opponent likes to follow up an A laser with another laser, you can block the first one from full screen away and dash up to her and counter hit her before the second one comes out. That's how much recovery she has.

The B version has slower startup but shorter recovery. You can't punish this on block unless you're closer to her. If you're full screen, just dash up to her and get ready to block whatever she throws out when you're about half way across the screen.

The SB version has short recovery like the B version. You can tell if its the SB version because it does more hits.

Also, if you eat a BnB that leaves you at full screen the Liz player might try to do a laser or flames when you wake up. Those can also be punished before they come out by ground teching and immediately doing either D Swift Strike or Ziodyne.

The important thing is that you must be patient. When you're trying to chase someone who is running away move forward carefully and block. Don't hit any buttons. Remember: against Elizabeth, even if you're full screen away and you block a laser you have the advantage.

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
Anyone wants to stomp me like an infant on drugs I'll be logging into PSN here very shortly. (PSN is same as Username) Be warned. I just got back from my honeymoon and today is the first day I've touched this. Prepare to destroy me

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.
Anyone else finding it weirdly difficult to super-cancel online? I just started playing Chie, and doing a combo where I need to cancel skull-cracker(236A after the first 236A) into power charge(236236A). Practice mode is no problem, but online, even with a good connection, I do the movement and it only comes out like 1/10 times. I feel like I'm still doing everything right and the game's just not keeping up. Maybe if I moved the X-Box to the CRT TV; the one I'm using now has pretty bad input delay to begin with.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

Anyone else finding it weirdly difficult to super-cancel online? I just started playing Chie, and doing a combo where I need to cancel skull-cracker(236A after the first 236A) into power charge(236236A). Practice mode is no problem, but online, even with a good connection, I do the movement and it only comes out like 1/10 times. I feel like I'm still doing everything right and the game's just not keeping up. Maybe if I moved the X-Box to the CRT TV; the one I'm using now has pretty bad input delay to begin with.

I know exactly what you mean, but I'm able to do it most all times. You really just have to get used to the lag and mash the input more(ill throw the input twice sometimes, its not like it will lead to anything else). A good TV is always nice if you have the option, that's all on you though.

e: Yes it's weird but you get used to it. I should get to the point more.

e2: A super like this is easy with online because you can probably input it 5 times before you land. So yeah put it in twice or something, you can't do any other supers with those button inputs so just mash it out. The netcode is good, but it's far from real speed good, still very nice.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 19, 2012

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I have problems connecting with Teddie's j.A during combos, I think that sort of thing happens to most people.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Man, a Kanji who gets a few lucky guesses with his B+D can really gently caress with your head and make you afraid to do anything :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

You think it's bad as Yu? Try Kanji. Anytime I beat an Elizabeth player they beamspam for the rest of the next round because they know I don't have the speed to get out of it easily.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
As Teddie, is there anything I can do about Elizabeth's purple murder beam, other than sign the lease on the inside of her rear end in a top hat before she can fire it off?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

redmercer posted:

As Teddie, is there anything I can do about Elizabeth's purple murder beam, other than sign the lease on the inside of her rear end in a top hat before she can fire it off?

Superjump + Airdash, EX Television, 2D Teddie might be able to hide under the beam, throw items like the firecracker or the barrel

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Hit her with the bat. The worst Elizabeth can do is hit you with A Maziodyne, everything else will get stuffed by the bat because her persona attacks are rather slow. The risk-reward is way in Teddie's favor, you can take a few lasers from poor batting but if you counterhit her just once she loses a massive chunk of her piddly health pool. Maybe I'm just saying this because I have trouble with the bat as Elizabeth, but it seems like if you have a good mid-range "poke" of any kind you can shut down most of Elizabeth's persona attacks (and Mitsuru is just made of fast mid-range pokes so gently caress her too).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

You think it's bad as Yu? Try Kanji. Anytime I beat an Elizabeth player they beamspam for the rest of the next round because they know I don't have the speed to get out of it easily.

Can't Kanji's own Persona bring down lightning from all the way across the screen?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Anyone who plays or wants to play Yosuke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPxsNVCVQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJIOlE_RTc
(Holy gently caress it's like magic, I can ctrl+v a youtube link into the text box and it converts it into a video embed)

I got a kick out of Jiyuna's musings as well, but the video has some insane Yosuke stuff going on and will help teach you some of the more useful BnBs/really scary corner combos.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Emalde posted:

Anyone who plays or wants to play Yosuke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPxsNVCVQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJIOlE_RTc
(Holy gently caress it's like magic, I can ctrl+v a youtube link into the text box and it converts it into a video embed)

I got a kick out of Jiyuna's musings as well, but the video has some insane Yosuke stuff going on and will help teach you some of the more useful BnBs/really scary corner combos.

1hr 30mins of footage :smith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

Can't Kanji's own Persona bring down lightning from all the way across the screen?

The range is slightly less than fullscreen, and it takes a tiny bit longer to set up. It's really good against characters like Naoto or Aigis, but does nothing against Maziodyne spam.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Elephunk posted:

1hr 30mins of footage :smith:
Just start in the middle, Jiyuna gets destroyed and provides running commentary of why the entire time. Any 10 minutes should give you tons to practice in training.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

wixard posted:

Just start in the middle, Jiyuna gets destroyed and provides running commentary of why the entire time. Any 10 minutes should give you tons to practice in training.

Nice. Here's as far as I've gotten with my Lazy White Man USA Yosuke:

BnB off 5A or 2A:

5A/2A, 5C, 2C xx 236B, moonsie, moonsie, 236D kunai, into hilarious and bad midair oki

Fatal Counter BNB:

2C (FC), 5C xx 236B, late j. 2C, otg 2A 2B 2C, j. BB, dj. BB xx 236 kunai, hilarious and bad midair oki

Some of these corner ones are really good.

Oh , here's how you beat Yosuke's blockstrings (but dont tell anybody or ill lose):

When you block a jackie chan run up your chest move and he goes into moonsault, you dont even have to guess which way to block just jump up and immediately airhtrow me

edit: Holy poo poo This Guy Can Use The Glide.

(Instant Airdash 2B~AC is a crazy midair wavedash that only brosuke can use)

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 19, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh man, fighting people with Teddie is hysterical. They're all so used to Yu/Aki/Chie over and over again that they have no idea what the gently caress to do with him, it's great.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Oh man, fighting people with Teddie is hysterical. They're all so used to Yu/Aki/Chie over and over again that they have no idea what the gently caress to do with him, it's great.

Teddie is fantastic, if you can put up with really lovely midscreen combo damage, even off of a fatal counter, unless you spend meter, or have the right item ready to go. Plus rage or fear+rage set ups in the corner are so drat scary.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Teddie is fantastic, if you can put up with really lovely midscreen combo damage, even off of a fatal counter, unless you spend meter, or have the right item ready to go. Plus rage or fear+rage set ups in the corner are so drat scary.

Yeah, right now my tactics with him are limited to, appropriately enough, irritating the enemy to death with love taps while dancing outside their range of attack. A Yukiko player absolutely trashed me, because I couldn't figure out how to close the distance, but I had decent success against everyone else.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

If anyone is interested in learning Shadow Labrys, there's a 93 minute video on a-cho's Youtube page containing a ton of matches from a tournament, most of which feature a really good SLab player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m35ZEVYiUg

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Elephunk posted:

Oh , here's how you beat Yosuke's blockstrings (but dont tell anybody or ill lose):

When you block a jackie chan run up your chest move and he goes into moonsault, you dont even have to guess which way to block just jump up and immediately airhtrow me

You can just use Kunai toss if you think they are going to expect a Moonsault, or if you are daring enough you can delay the Moonsault to go through the air-throw/DP attempt (Moonsault has a fully invincible startup). Also the way you beat Yosuke using Kunai after Dash Spring on block is using 5AC to go right through it, but Yosuke can beat that by just Moonsaulting backwards and then tossing Kunai forcing them to block.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 20, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Every time I win a match by hitting someone with Teddie's Circus Ball super it is like the punchline to a hilarious joke that never gets old no matter how many times you tell it

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Oxxidation posted:

Every time I win a match by hitting someone with Teddie's Circus Ball super it is like the punchline to a hilarious joke that never gets old no matter how many times you tell it

Especially when they back up when you use it :allears:

I like to keep using D Circus Bear, then suddenly switch to C and laugh as they superjump right into it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I think I've barely seen Mitsuru discussed here. Does anyone have any general tips for using her?

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Fun set with MagnaCarta earlier. Try to catch Yosuke in the air with your air B, it out reaches and out prioritizes everything he can do airborne besides Moonsaults. Also, I'm pretty sure you can air grab Yosuke on reaction if he moonsaults after you block his dash.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chickenfrogman posted:

Fun set with MagnaCarta earlier. Try to catch Yosuke in the air with your air B, it out reaches and out prioritizes everything he can do airborne besides Moonsaults. Also, I'm pretty sure you can air grab Yosuke on reaction if he moonsaults after you block his dash.

Thanks for the games! We had some close matches, and I'm beginning to catch on. I swear I'll beat you at least once next time we play.

And I never even knew air grabbing was a thing (!) so I'll look into that.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If anyone is interested in learning Shadow Labrys, there's a 93 minute video on a-cho's Youtube page containing a ton of matches from a tournament, most of which feature a really good SLab player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m35ZEVYiUg

I was trying to find that, thanks! <3

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
This game is awesome as hell and I'd really like to get some practice in, but it absolutely refuses to connect to any kind of online match. There's no scene at all where I live and if this keeps up I've basically got a $70 coaster. It doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem either, any ideas past the general reset your router stuff? PS3, by the way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, any bets on what the other members of SEES look like now that they're older and can pick their own clothing? Because, really, Akihiko's design still floors me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I like how Mitsuru and Akihiko look like traditional fighting game designs and everyone rips on them every chance they get.

• Locked thread