Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I like Antonio Banderas being in movies that are getting cinematic releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

The worst kind of Dognap SchemeTM.

TIM ALLEN IS: A MONSTER

Those fuckin' eyes. :staredog:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Can we just start an Indiana Jones mega thread so I can go into great detail and scream until I'm blue in the face on why Temple of Doom was the best Indy?

Please do, I've always known Temple of Doom was the best, ever since I was a kid. KALI MA!

Handsome Dead posted:

I like Antonio Banderas being in movies that are getting cinematic releases.

I haven't seen The Mask of Zorro since I was a kid, pretty much, was it actually any good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Legion of One posted:

Here is a new trend in posters that i'm getting a little tired of.
Lets take a pic from the movie (a very low quality one) and use it for our posters.

We got this poster the other day and it's even worse quality then shown in this pic, think the same pic but its dimensions changed to a regular poster and all distorted.

That's really eye-catching, actually.

ruddiger posted:

In honor of V/H/S/...

Let it be known: Black Devil Doll From Hell owns.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Conceptually it's not bad, but yeah technically it's all over the place as it's a forced adaptation off this.

There's also the alternate poster that seems to portray the main character as being a love obsessed creep.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

WebDog posted:

There's also the alternate poster that seems to portray the main character as being a love obsessed creep.

Have you seen the trailer? its about a weird nerd whose romance novel girl comes to life and falls in love with him. the trailer seems to be hinting that some weird poo poo happens towards the end.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I didn't want to see Ruby Sparks at first, because the inherent creepiness of a guy dating a woman he conjures into being with his mind was just out of place with the generally twee nature of the trailer.

Then I saw Ruby Sparks. It is pretty drat honest about how creepy that sort of thing could get, and it gets dark. I'm not sure if I like it, but I can say that the trailer is putting a smile on it that it shouldn't have and doesn't.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Magic Love Hose posted:

I didn't want to see Ruby Sparks at first, because the inherent creepiness of a guy dating a woman he conjures into being with his mind was just out of place with the generally twee nature of the trailer.

Then I saw Ruby Sparks. It is pretty drat honest about how creepy that sort of thing could get, and it gets dark. I'm not sure if I like it, but I can say that the trailer is putting a smile on it that it shouldn't have and doesn't.

It's the Funny Games of quirky indie girl romance films, right down to the trailer being deceptive about the approach to the subject matter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OnlyJuanMon posted:

See? We'll always be friends, you and I.

Last Crusade blows. It takes all the edgy darkness out of the franchise, and is instead replaced with PG hijinks.

It's just Spielberg pussing out after Temple of Doom (The best Indy movie) was deemed "too dark."

Instead of melting faces and hearts being ripped out, we get a tongue in cheek Hitler joke.

Ah, but that was no ordinary Hitler. It was Michael Sheard, and he was the best of men. Everything that has Michael Sheard in it is better than anything comparable that does not, solely because he was in it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Kramjacks posted:

"Sweet and savvy talking golden retriever, Bailey, is one doggone lucky pooch when his devoted owner, Constance Pennington, leaves him her entire billion-dollar fortune. Bailey is lucky, that is, until he becomes the target of an elaborately-designed dognap scheme hatched by Constance's nasty nephew Caspar and his money-hungry wife Dolores. The despicable duo's wicked plan is to ultimately gain custody of the canine so they can get their greedy paws on his inheritance. Unfortunately for them, there's a thing or two they don't know about Bailey. Not only does he have great street smarts, he has great pals too. Bailey's loyal guardian Ted, kind-hearted animal advocate Marge, her daughter Sam, and a clever border collie named Tessa set out on a hilarious madcap adventure to free their four-legged friend and put the nasty dognappers out of business-for good!"

Speaking of dognapping:

I don't even care what this movie is about, that is an awesome cast.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 19, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Speaking of dognapping:

Tom Waits??? And this is from the writer of In Bruges!!!! I'll be there day one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That's a very Snatch-y poster.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The numbering is kinda reminiscent of Trainspotting.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It's the 'British crime caper' template. What a cast though.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's really eye-catching, actually.

Let it be known: Black Devil Doll From Hell owns.
Seeing it in a theater is an incredibly surreal experience. Also, I'm fairly certain that over 10% of the movie is composed of credits/the incredible theme song. Have you seen Tales from the Quadead Zone? I haven't been able to track that one down.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

WebDog posted:

The numbering is kinda reminiscent of Trainspotting.

Also a cute way to tackle the contractually-obligated billing order problem.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of which:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

Speaking of dognapping:

My favourite thing about this poster is Colin Farrell not giving a gently caress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Leck posted:

Have you seen Tales from the Quadead Zone? I haven't been able to track that one down.

Never, never, never to my eternal shame. I was tempted to get it on VHS even.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Magic Love Hose posted:

When the actually face the consequences of how creepy it is in the film, I was very much :stare:

That said, I was thrilled they took it that way instead of actually having that fantasy and being a creepy and misogynistic film, instead of just having the character be that way.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Edit: gently caress it

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's the 'British crime caper' template. What a cast though.

Which is great because from my understanding the premise is that Colin Farrell plays a hack writer who tries to write generic 'British crime caper' novels and then gets involved in a more bizarre, hosed-up crime situation in reality.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

When the actually face the consequences of how creepy it is in the film, I was very much :stare:

So the movie was pretty good, if really hard to watch, while it was doing this. Then, in the last five minutes it completely lets the Paul Dano character off the hook for all the loving rapes and abuse he's done, makes him beloved and successful and popular again, and even gives him the opportunity to start another relationship with Ruby. But it's okay, because he wiped her memory of all the psychological and physical abuse he gave her. gently caress Ruby Sparks, most repulsive movie I've ever seen. Other movies may have been more boring or incompetently made, Ruby Sparks on the other hand made a very concerted and very well-crafted effort to be a disgusting pile of gently caress.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Binary Logic posted:

Speaking of dognapping:

I poo poo you not, I thought they labeled the dog on this poster as #2 for a second.

On that note, I'd watch Christopher Walken: The Tale of a Psychopathic Dog any day.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
This is a hard one but if you have a high res version of this cover or you're holding it in your hand it's very obvious the heads have been photoshopped on.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
At least Ray Winstone should be used to being a floating head.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jonny Angel posted:

So the movie was pretty good, if really hard to watch, while it was doing this. Then, in the last five minutes it completely lets the Paul Dano character off the hook for all the loving rapes and abuse he's done, makes him beloved and successful and popular again, and even gives him the opportunity to start another relationship with Ruby. But it's okay, because he wiped her memory of all the psychological and physical abuse he gave her. gently caress Ruby Sparks, most repulsive movie I've ever seen. Other movies may have been more boring or incompetently made, Ruby Sparks on the other hand made a very concerted and very well-crafted effort to be a disgusting pile of gently caress.

I guess I had a different reading of the film then I never saw him raping Ruby. After he starts to change her to keep him with her, they don't have sex. It's not even implied in the "she's really clingy" change. Yes, what he did was creepy, but the film never paints him as a good guy at that point. He is scum, and he realizes his mistakes. He then learns from them, and writes his book. If it were truly repulsive, he'd have never let her go, and wouldn't have learned a goddamn thing.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

MrBling posted:

At least Ray Winstone should be used to being a floating head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDqsbzV5MQE

And either their grammar is appalling or they had to put 'guilty' in scare quotes for legal reasons.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

HoldYourFire posted:

And either their grammar is appalling or they had to put 'guilty' in scare quotes for legal reasons.

The expression is usually "to protect the innocent," so maybe they're just trying to emphasize the difference.

Also, that's appalling punctuation, not grammar

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Slasherfan posted:

This is a hard one but if you have a high res version of this cover or you're holding it in your hand it's very obvious the heads have been photoshopped on.

I really wanted to find this and Im glad I did. You can see the bad lines where they pasted Rays head on a thinner mans body, and Colm just looks hilarious. I bet he wasnt even wearing a hat for that picture.

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 19, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cage posted:

I really wanted to find this and Im glad I did. You can see the bad lines where they pasted Rays head on a thinner mans body, and Colm just looks hilarious. I bet he wasnt even wearing a hat for that picture.

I wonder why they felt the need to introduce Louise Redknapp? She was famous as a pop singer before she married a footballer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They still do it if it's their first time acting.

The TV show Smash even had "introducing Katharine McPhee", who not only was really well known from American Idol, but had several acting roles before that too.

Then there's Ocean's Twelve.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jack Huston looks totally different without a tin face.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I guess I had a different reading of the film then I never saw him raping Ruby. After he starts to change her to keep him with her, they don't have sex. It's not even implied in the "she's really clingy" change. Yes, what he did was creepy, but the film never paints him as a good guy at that point. He is scum, and he realizes his mistakes. He then learns from them, and writes his book. If it were truly repulsive, he'd have never let her go, and wouldn't have learned a goddamn thing.

My real problem with the movie is that it was just 500 Days Of Summer with a magic girl.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Aphrodite posted:

Then there's Ocean's Twelve.

I saw no problem with this gimmick.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

Speaking of dognapping:

Holy poo poo, what a cast. Tom Waits, Sam Rockwell, and Woody Harrelson all in the same movie is going to create some sort of singularity of awesome.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Jonny Angel posted:

Yeah, it would have been leagues better if the author had very specifically rebuffed Ruby at the end, conscious of his mistakes and determined to do better even if it denied him a chance to be with her. We never see him specifically go out on a date with her, but it does hint that they get back together, and that sits unsteady in my stomach. It feels like such a mismatch from the honesty it shows in scene where Ruby finds out she's a fictional character that I have to wonder if the ending was changed at the last minute. Still not sure how I feel about it.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Magic Love Hose posted:

Yeah, it would have been leagues better if the author had very specifically rebuffed Ruby at the end, conscious of his mistakes and determined to do better even if it denied him a chance to be with her. We never see him specifically go out on a date with her, but it does hint that they get back together, and that sits unsteady in my stomach. It feels like such a mismatch from the honesty it shows in scene where Ruby finds out she's a fictional character that I have to wonder if the ending was changed at the last minute. Still not sure how I feel about it.

I gotta wonder if that ending is a studio-mandated thing. It feels so out of place and really throws off the entire film. I wouldn't be surprised to find out an earlier draft/cut had a much better ending.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was just watching The Damned United on Netflix when it caught my eye that there were two similar but different posters for this film:

On the left, you have Michael Sheen as boss, tormentor, harsh leader, and critic. On the right you have Michael Sheen as funloving, bon vivant, fresh faced man about town that any young lady would love to be on the arm of.

The best thing is that they used the same body for both images, but the two different heads don't even look like Michael Sheen all that much.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That person on the left is not Michael Sheen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GonSmithe posted:

That person on the left is not Michael Sheen.

I know, eh. He just looks so freakish there.

The smaller Netflix image makes it look even weirder, like he's a zombie who's just so drat bored of it all.