Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I just got into a gunfight in a karaoke bar, jumped off a balcony, shot three dudes in slow-mo as I fell, and when I landed, I roundhouse kicked a man in the face and sent him flying over the bar. I did all this with a solid gold pistol while wearing Buddhist monk robes.

Sleeping Dogs, a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Cardboard Box posted:

I won't say it's one of the best games I've ever played like some people, or even a game of the year contender, but it's a very solid 8/10 game. The story and voice acting are great, combat is fun, graphics are decent, and there's a lot of content that you could easily put 30 hours into. It doesn't compare to something like Saints Row 3 for me, but I like it more than GTA4.

No multiplayer, and the PC controls are not very good, so you'll probably plug in a controller anyway. PC version will look and run better (or worse) depending on your machine. Just go with whatever you prefer.

Also, PC will eventually have mods.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Beat the game just a little while ago, but I can't shake the feeling that I haven't punched nearly enough dudes.

Also, holy poo poo the end of the final boss fight.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

SpazmasterX posted:

Beat the game just a little while ago, but I can't shake the feeling that I haven't punched nearly enough dudes.

Also, holy poo poo the end of the final boss fight.

I thought it was a pretty satisfying gigantic "gently caress YOU" :shobon:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Al! posted:

New favorite thing. Driving around and hitting the action hijack right as I pass a motorcycle or scooter, slamming my door into their face. Requesting a gif of this. Wei is not only the worst cop but one of the worst human beings ever.

I never would have thought of this. I think I love you.

Found myself a red leather jacket in a lockbox today. Wei is now sporting the world's worst Travis Touchdown cosplay outfit.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well, just finished it. Not sure why people were saying the ending was anticlimactic; the final sequence of missions was intense, and all the more so because they managed to get you pretty invested in Wei's fate.

Really a fantastic game, all the strengths of GTA IV and SR3 with none of the respective weaknesses.

Now if they could just clean up the camera a bit it really would be one of the top open-world crime games ever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I hope the sequel is like True Crime 1 so I can arrest these assholes that keep robbing me. After I cave their faces in, anyways. Also Christoper Walken.

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011
I do not follow any gaming news and have not heard of this game until today, but the OP got me interested. Arkham City and MP3 are two of my favorite games, is Sleeping Dogs the game for me?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Oh my god, what a loving game this is so far.

I just powerslid a car towards a whole group of thugs, dove from the car as it slid towards them, riddled it with bullets in slow motion, and then watched as it exploded on contact.

I'm not sure if that was my best kill so far, it's got some stiff competition. On an earlier mission, I hit a wheelie on the back of a police car, causing me to ramp up into the air, and slow-mo shot up the target's truck while I was still in midair.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jastiger posted:

What is the goon verdict?

Game of the motherfucking year.

+ + + +

thehumandignity posted:

The big reveal (Of Shen's identity), which you'd expect to be a pivotal moment in the game, is completely glossed over. You confront the big bad and he just says "Oh, by the way, I know you're a cop." Completely disappointing, especially considering how hard they played up the whole deal with Shen having to fight to maintain his identity as a police officer while playing the role of a Triad; if you just cut out the pertinent conversations and missions, which are few and far between, a tiny fraction of the game, then it would play just like any other crime shooter. I was expecting, and really looking forward, to Shen having to arrest his "friends" and face them as who he really is, but nothing of the sort happens, you just murder gangsters the entire time, even most of the cases are side stuff, irrelevant to the plot. Ultimately Shen's identity as a police officer plays very, very little role in either the gameplay or the story and that's very disappointing to me.

Well if you stop and listen two Tong's men they say "is he really a cop?" "No, that's a story somebody put out so that we can kill him, but who cares?".

At a certain moment only Tong, Smile Lee and Aunt Jian knew the truth about you.
Considering that the "election" was coming up Big Smile Lee was right to not tell his men and tell Tong to dispatch Wei and Jake, only one person had honor and balls to save Uncle Po twice, use a rocket launcher against the 18k, protect the Night Market from 18k expansion and avenge his friends and it was Wei. Attacking Wei directly could have started a war inside his triad and the destruction of the Red Poles because many people would have contested his "a policeman told me that Wei is an undercover cop" (And I think Pendrew was clever enough not to give Big Smile Lee some physical clues that Big Smile Lee could have used in front of the other men because they could be traced back to him too).

Telling Tong instead was the best thing he could do at the moment.

I'd really like that some DLC will create more missions against the 18k because you did not go too much against them before the wedding and then again after the funeral scene, only against Dogeye's and Big Smile's IIRC.

thehumandignity posted:

Big Smile Lee is a moustache-twirling villain with basically no characterization whatsoever. I felt very little impetus to kill him, especially considering how boring that mission was.

Dogeyes, introduced Wei's sister to prostitution but Big Smile Lee introduced her to heroin. In the end, killing Big Smilee was only business :kamina:

thehumandignity posted:

Oh, and did I mention how boring the final mission was?

The most annoying thing about boss fights is that you can't finish bosses with the environmental attacks unless it's for scene see Big Smilee put in the ice breaker but I don't think it was boring at all. In any case since this game is not too heavy in mechanics and situations (there is no helicopter mission, no plane mission, there are few but good indoor missions, there is no fight in really tight situations like a broken bridge over a pit of spikes) at least the last mission ends the story on an high note and is not just a string of "resist 20 waves of bad guys because resisting 20 boring waves and then finishing the enemy that fights differently from the rest of the enemies is epic I say". (Well, you can't grab the bosses but you still can fight them with the same system as you fight the others, and not a QTE).

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Hm, I can't get the car valet to work. At first I thought it was because I was sort of out of the way (Cemetery parking lot) but I've tried on the highway and perfectly usual roads and he keeps saying "I don't have time." Does it just stop working for some reason after you complete the story?

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Kurstein posted:

Had a 12 hour session with this yesterday, I love this game!

The fighting, the shooting (vault shot headshots all day), the driving, it feels really good, glad I got a controller for my PC before it came out.

Had a really cool, glitchy moment while I was finishing off the last guy in a brawl I beat his head with the door of my bright orange sports car and the final, slow-mo strike made the car move 10 meters sideways (also in slow-mo).

Also I don't have any steam-friends who are playing this so I can't compare my stats with anyone. If you feel like it, add me (Kürstein1) on Steam.

I know this is a few pages back, but I added you. I'm Mad Pino Rage on Steam, and if anyone else wants to add me for competitive stat play then go ahead.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Has anyone figured out a way to turn off the camera shake while driving? It's such a bad effect I wasn't sure if it was a bug, but other people have posted about it too. I doubt United Front will patch it out, but I was wondering if anyone's been able to edit the files to disable it (PC version).

I have to say the voice acting is incredible. Not the actual story dialogue (though it's good), but the random pedestrians. When you do something dangerous in front of an innocent they really yell like they're about to be killed, and drat if it doesn't give me a little guilt trip.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This game is pretty drat awesome and it deserves far better scores and reviews than what it's getting. It has one of the most fluid fighting systems I've ever played in an open world game and the setting is really unique.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I don't understand why you would hire Emma Stone (the American tourist in the game) if she is only going to be in it for a tiny bit. Did I gently caress up a romantic side quest by going out with all of the girls? What the hell.

Fantastic game though.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

WMain00 posted:

This game is pretty drat awesome and it deserves far better scores and reviews than what it's getting. It has one of the most fluid fighting systems I've ever played in an open world game and the setting is really unique.

Well, a metacritic of 84 is not that bad

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sleeping-dogs/critic-reviews

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And there's no multiplayer to speak of, right?

There is no real multiplayer mode, but if you have people on your friends list playing this game, you can compete with them in stats like "longest car jump" and "clean driving".

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

I love this game so much. So much. So much.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ahh, that's not so bad.

Pretty annoyed at the Eurogamer review. Dan Fuckhead gives it 7/10 and pretty much lambastes it all throughout the review. It may as well have read "Not GTA, sucks." it's that bad of a review.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Aphrodite posted:

Are the Dates repeatable, or only Story missions? Apparently the Lady Killer set bonus adds extra lines, but unless you know that and go out of your way you'll have almost all of them done before getting the Set.
Speaking of this, where do you get the Lady Killer shoes? I feel like I've been to all the shops but I haven't found them.

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but I added you. I'm Mad Pino Rage on Steam, and if anyone else wants to add me for competitive stat play then go ahead.
:respek:

Lasher posted:

I know I harp on about Def Jam:FFNY a lot, but this really is up there when it comes to satisfying fighting. I'd gladly pay for DLC if it were just a load of fight club arenas but with additional environmental hazards. Like the fish market or temple.
Def Jam:FFNY is my favourite fighting game of all time and oddly enough it has a lot in common with Sleeping Dogs, slow-mo finishers, environmental hazards, proper and improvised weapons. So much fun, and yeah I'd pay for more fight clubs, maybe some with more than 6 rounds, at least more people would be nice.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Does anyone else get a weird starboard drift whenever they run with a gun out?

e: vv hit them. Anything except grappling.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 19, 2012

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
What's the technique for fighting the fat guys?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's bad enough to miss out on royalties. Hopefully SquareEnix isn't as lovely as Bethesda :ohdear:

Also, the final mission is even more fun if you try to use Tong's big-rear end knife for the whole mission. I only made it about half way.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Is that really a spoiler? Unless I missed something, that's the first and only time that character is seen in the game.

I might be wrong, though, a lot of the characters look exactly alike are very forgettable.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

EvilMuppet posted:

What's the technique for fighting the fat guys?

They cant block, so you punch them in the loving face, and you dont stop until there is no face left to punch. They cannot be grappled, so dont even try. Personally I target them first in any fight because they can be a pain in the arse. So pick one, use your striking combos until he is down, then pick the next until all the fat guys are gone.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
There is a later Face upgrade that lets you grapple the fat dudes when your Face Meter is active. I make a point of using nothing but grapple moves on the bastards at that point just because I can.

I can't think of a single aspect of this game that isn't better than a GTA game. Game of the goddamn year.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SyRauk posted:

I don't understand why you would hire Emma Stone (the American tourist in the game) if she is only going to be in it for a tiny bit. Did I gently caress up a romantic side quest by going out with all of the girls? What the hell.

No. Nothing happened that wasn't supposed to.

WMain00 posted:

In my opinion, this is the definition of an 8/10 game, which is where most reviews have it around. Which isn't bad at all--quite good in fact. It's a lot of fun, all of its mechanics are very solid, but pretty much every game it borrows those mechanics from already does them better. It's a jack of all trades, master of none kind of deal.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 19, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

thehumandignity posted:

Is that really a spoiler? Unless I missed something, that's the first and only time that character is seen in the game.

I might be wrong, though, a lot of the characters look exactly alike are very forgettable.

That's the first time you see him in the game, but the hosed-up things he does are mentioned in several case files and several times throughout the game, and the case file your predecessor strongly implies that Tong implemented that torture.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

I can't think of a single aspect of this game that isn't better than a GTA game.

Mouse controls :colbert:

Seriously, I have to use that sliding disarm to take down gunmen because the mouse aiming is so hard to struggle with I can't hit poo poo.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

A mouse and keyboard is for filling in tax returns, real men use a controller (and have a pork bun in their hand).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardboard Box posted:

In my opinion, this is the definition of an 8/10 game, which is where most reviews have it around. Which isn't bad at all--quite good in fact. It's a lot of fun, all of its mechanics are very solid, but pretty much every game it borrows those mechanics from already does them better. It's a jack of all trades, master of none kind of deal.
I wonder how it would have been rated if it had come out during the holiday rush, though? How much of the good vibes this game is receiving, is due to the fact that nobody's played a new game for like 4 months?

I like that game a lot however, I cant' help but wonder how it would stack up beside, say, the next Assassin's Creed, or another actual GTA.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
The mouse controls are great as long as you tune the sensitivity. The default is set way too high.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
Ok I give up! How do I reach this statue here:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/596979049438529484/954025D65EDE63DA23923B6352FE0231C6A5B58D/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596979049438527704/0B49F20F2CE3DEC9B45BEBBEA8E20B570BC5EAE1/

Is it just part of the storyline? Because I'm quite far in.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Part of the storyline, yes.

RaDaMaNt
Apr 24, 2012
This game is too short. Finished it in 12 hours, I expected more. Good game, btw

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

limaCAT posted:

...at least the last mission ends the story on an high note and is not just a string of "resist 20 waves of bad guys because resisting 20 boring waves and then finishing the enemy that fights differently from the rest of the enemies is epic I say". (Well, you can't grab the bosses but you still can fight them with the same system as you fight the others, and not a QTE).

I only found the very last battle disappointing in a sense that I was all ready to have it out in one last grand one-on-one finale with Big Smile Lee. Instead, I get a weak struggle that basically amounts to a QTE segment (Countering his attacks) because Wei can't use one of his arms. Yeah sure the final parting gesture was brutal, but here I've been training and learning all these moves and I guess I was expecting to have to leverage all of that against an enemy that fought at a similar level-- none of the end-game stuff presented a challenge in that way. Granted, I don't just want waves and waves of dudes to beat up as a final battle, either. Just one really good one.

The game is great, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's a hard call, to go for simplicity or depth, especially for a new studio. Presuming that Sleeping Dogs sells well, they now know that players like what they made but would like a bit more. As long as they don't get super self-indulgent (Uncharted 3) but instead build upon what was good before (Assassin's Creed II + Brotherhood), they'll be doing it right.

CDG
Feb 20, 2010

thehumandignity posted:

Hm, I can't get the car valet to work. At first I thought it was because I was sort of out of the way (Cemetery parking lot) but I've tried on the highway and perfectly usual roads and he keeps saying "I don't have time." Does it just stop working for some reason after you complete the story?

After the very first time he came, the valet did this to me until I went to the parking garage and noticed there was a button to set the valet vehicle. No issues since.

On a similar note, is there a way to set the default paint job of garage vehicles?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Kurstein posted:

Def Jam:FFNY is my favourite fighting game of all time and oddly enough it has a lot in common with Sleeping Dogs, slow-mo finishers, environmental hazards, proper and improvised weapons. So much fun, and yeah I'd pay for more fight clubs, maybe some with more than 6 rounds, at least more people would be nice.

You aren't kidding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYIkqVviXTM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CDG posted:

After the very first time he came, the valet did this to me until I went to the parking garage and noticed there was a button to set the valet vehicle. No issues since.

On a similar note, is there a way to set the default paint job of garage vehicles?

Well this is useful information, I thought the valet was an idiot.

Hopefully there is some substantial DLC planned and not a trickle of crap like Dragon's Dogma or Saints Row 3.

• Locked thread