Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Good find, thanks. Sadly, it doesn't list the information for the Softly station. I enjoyed listening to that one as background music while I was just cruising around between objectives.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Aphrodite posted:

So uh... fun bug. I don't know how close this is to the end so don't look unless you're done.

During the funeral, Sonny Wo's character model didn't load. The cops arrested an invisible man. It made Big Smile Lee's "Where the gently caress is Sonny?" line quite a bit funnier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co0nRRRz0-Q

This is what happens you turn high resolution textures on before downloading the texture pack

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I bought this yesterday and I've been trying to play it since. It continues to crash at the dev splash screen or before it. I really want to play it, but it isn't looking possible. I guess you guys should close this thread since hearing about your fun is making me jealous.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

The soundtrack is the best i've heard when it comes to stuff die-hard music fans (that sounds so lame) would appreciate. I basically freaked out when I heard Maps & Atlases.

The metal station is easily the best I've heard in an open world game, minus Black Stone Cherry and a couple other questionable inclusions.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I would pay money for soundtracks of the music from Softly and Ninja Tune Radio.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

The soundtrack is the best i've heard when it comes to stuff die-hard music fans (that sounds so lame) would appreciate. I basically freaked out when I heard Maps & Atlases.

Well not only that, but the Autechre track is an often overlooked song from the extra EP they decided to include with the CD release of Tri Repetae. Will these guys make a music game soon because they know their tunes.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Any ideas on if how moddable this game is? If the moddability is anything remotely close to GTA IV, this might be the best sandbox game of all time. I got the Triad Enforcer pack, but I'm still jealous of all the people who get to run around in their GSP outfit.
Simple answer: Very yes.

Extended answer: Currently developing tools. :) There is a scripting engine in place (Skookum), which I've never heard of before, and I doubt any tools exist for already. There are generic property files (think JC2's property files, if you did anything with that). Everything is bundled into clean files to make things nice.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I would love to replay the main missions wearing a cop uniform. I was immensely sad when I found out such a uniform doesn't exist. Hope mods can add that in.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This game will become legendary if its moddable like the bethesda games. What other recent gameshave ssimilar shooting mechanics? I love when blindshooting I can tell exactly where my bullet impacted and adjust accordingly.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
Tsunami Music is responsible for the music in the game. I am really impressed: every radio station has something I enjoy. Also, I've been a fan of Ninja Tune for over a decade and I still can't believe this game has an entire station dedicated to it!

I concluded the story yesterday but I spent most of today trying to 100% Sleeping Dogs. This is the first time I had the inclination to do so and I am usually not one for achievement whoring. The game is just this enjoyable. Combat, races and even basic navigation is a blast. A couple of reviews I read accuse United Front Games of pilfering game design from more successful franchises like Batman and Assassin's Creed but the gameplay of Sleeping Dogs successfully re-creates the experience of films like Enter The Dragon, A Game of Death, Hardboiled and The Killer (all of which are referenced in the game in the form of unlockable outfits). Despite clearly being inspired by Bruce Lee, Chow Yun-fat and Jackie Chan, Wei Shen is an excellent, three dimensional protagonist that suits the gameplay. Will Yun Lee does a great job voicing him and really brings Wei to life. In short, I can't think of an open world game I ever enjoyed as much as Sleeping Dogs except for the Saints Row franchise, perhaps.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I love the fact that you destroy cars with one shot by shooting their tires, but they balance this by throwing like, 50 cars at you during the chases.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Khanstant posted:

I bought this yesterday and I've been trying to play it since. It continues to crash at the dev splash screen or before it. I really want to play it, but it isn't looking possible. I guess you guys should close this thread since hearing about your fun is making me jealous.

Hrm, check steam file integrity, and probably uninstall and reinstall your video drivers. If that doesn't work, the splash movie is under the install directory Data/movies/hk_intro_video_beta.bik, try copy/renaming one of the other files in there as that name.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Just finished the story, loved this game to death. Give me some DLC to buy! :rms:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

For a game that does so well to eliminate most of the annoying poo poo open world games bring it makes me wonder what on earth they were thinking having a fair amount of the collectibles require a minigame to collect.

stratego
May 6, 2007

I got the Part Time Assassin outfit. I can't believe this game has a reference to Fulltime Killer in it, amazing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Khanstant posted:

That's currently my issue as well. If you let the game sit a few minutes, it'll actually continue and run.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

J posted:

I managed to get my car stuck on a narrow set of stairs, I wasn't sure if I was just going to be stuck or what, turns out Wei kicks out the windshield and climbs out the front of the car, I thought that was a nice touch.
You should try to flip a car so it lands on the door. When you get out, Wei has to kick the door open and climb out from the other door.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

loving Christ. I'm on the mission where you have to boost the stolen goods from Dogeyes to impress Winston, and I keep dying. It seems like if I get a couple hits on me, I go down. Or else I'll beat the first wave of enemies with just a little health left, then the second wave comes at me and kills me and I'll have to start all over :froggonk:

Can I drop down the difficulty? Or do I have to just keep practicing until I get good at this?

edit: Nevermind, I finally did it :D

Yeah that mission made me give up 'mash buttons' and actually learn to counter moves. Or run away really fast then come back with a flying kick. And in very special emergencies, climb up on the roof of cars to get a little breather. Armed thugs, gently caress youuuuu.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box posted:

Saints Row 2 and 3 are two of my favorite games from this generation. I still contend that the first Saints Row is a boring, vanilla GTA clone.

The main reason I like 1 more than 2 is that 1 took itself a little bit more seriously; it was obviously poking fun at the whole "thug" culture, but at the same time it had serious poo poo going down. 2 took a really sharp turn towards self-parody territory; I mean you have a wannabe-samurai and a voodoo witchdoctor as boss fights, for gently caress's sake. I also liked the shooting in 1 more because they went with rag-doll effects for everything, but gave the rag-dolls more weight to go more for life-like movements than for bodies flying everywhere, and it made the shooting feel much more real, it served to really give it a feeling of power and impact when you shot someone, similar to how GTA IV and RDR would do it years later. With 2 they went with more animations, mainly to facilitate nut shots, I think, which I was okay with, but still liked 1's more. 3's shooting was just bad. Bad. Sorry. 3's shooting was bad.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Whoever mentioned tapping the action hijack button as a motorcycle drives by your door you drive with one set of wheels on the curb is a goddamn genius :drat:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 20, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Whoever mentioned tapping the action hijack button as a motorcycle drives by your door is a goddamn genius :drat:

JrodOwnz
Jun 28, 2004

Sober posted:

You should try to flip a car so it lands on the door. When you get out, Wei has to kick the door open and climb out from the other door.

And if you land a big van its rear, or any vehicle upward facing landing, he will kick out the windshield and climb out the top.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

synertia posted:

Well not only that, but the Autechre track is an often overlooked song from the extra EP they decided to include with the CD release of Tri Repetae. Will these guys make a music game soon because they know their tunes.

That's pretty awesome for a selection. Even the best open world games usually just grab nothing lower than semi-popular tracks.

Cardboard Box posted:

The metal station is easily the best I've heard in an open world game, minus Black Stone Cherry and a couple other questionable inclusions.

I'm crazy picky about metal but I definitely appreciated it. SR3 was better I think (for DEP, honestly)

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Just had a guy steal cash from me and proceed to break his leg jumping off a balcony trying to escape, I don't know if it was just scripted or what but it was good to see since I was starting to get sick of everyone being parkour experts.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Completed the story line yesterday, need to get like 10% more in the bar for level 10cop.

However had been saving cash up for ages thinking you could buy guns and such but couldn't, so just spend it on the most expensive car in the game.

:3:

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

gibbed posted:

Simple answer: Very yes.

Extended answer: Currently developing tools. :) There is a scripting engine in place (Skookum), which I've never heard of before, and I doubt any tools exist for already. There are generic property files (think JC2's property files, if you did anything with that). Everything is bundled into clean files to make things nice.

Gibbed is doing mods for SD?! gently caress YES!!! This is the best news I've heard about the game yet.

SO AWESOME.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm crazy picky about metal but I definitely appreciated it. SR3 was better I think (for DEP, honestly)

They included two songs a piece for Machine Head, Opeth and DevilDriver and that's all I can ask.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

EvilMuppet posted:

Gibbed is doing mods for SD?! gently caress YES!!! This is the best news I've heard about the game yet.

SO AWESOME.

Grappling hook confirmed.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Sendo posted:

Just had a guy steal cash from me and proceed to break his leg jumping off a balcony trying to escape, I don't know if it was just scripted or what but it was good to see since I was starting to get sick of everyone being parkour experts.

I had a guy swipe come cash from me, leap over a railing... and immediately drown in the water. Good chase.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Coughing Hobo posted:

I had a guy swipe come cash from me, leap over a railing... and immediately drown in the water. Good chase.

Playing this game again from scratch is "a good thing".
About that highway robbery on North Point: I parked my car with the face towards the pier, went to talk to that lady on the highway, had the guy swipe money from me, and then I jumped on the car. You can imagine how it finished (and no, not with him reaching his friends on the raft).

Generally: playing the game from the start makes the games easier and better but just because I know how to fight thugs. Playing again the first mission with guns (the one where you have to bring back Dogeyes dealer alive to winston from the factory that burns down) was a blast since I knew which where the spots with gas canisters and I did not use the cover system but instead jumped on tables to enable the slow-motion.

A scoring system with "medals" instead of a generic XP/level system would have helped out this game a lot.

+ + + +

The girlfriend missions can't be really expanded without people asking, "why then it's Jackie who gets abducted for the last 2 missions and not Tiffany/Amanda/Not Ping/...?".

Also Gibbed please mod the Vtols from Saints Row in this game. (Yes, I know, it's impossible, but I can dream...)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Not sure if it's posted but here's a link to the full radio soundtrack listing (warning: autoplaying youtube video) http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2012/08/16/sleeping-dogs-soundtrack.htm

I've been pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of rap like LFO and so on, although sadly there's no terrible emo cantopop to give us the true Hong Kong experience (although Air Supply in the karaoke, goddamn).

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Coughing Hobo posted:

The first time I had one of those missions it was shortly after stealing my first gun from a cop so I just shot the thief in the back of the head.

Also, I was surprised when stealing that cops gun seemed to get roughly half the cops in the city after me. I was beating up random dock workers, as you do, and a cop got angry, so I thought "ok, this is a sandbox game, it's no big deal if I go beat up this cop", he pulls his gun on me and I ended up taking it then hitting him with it, awesome. Then suddenly there's sirens everywhere and I'm being shot at by a dude with a shotgun, almost like they took this sort of thing seriously and I'd gotten in over my head by stepping to the law. I wonder what would happen if I SHOT a cop.

PS. Gibbed please remove the red counter glow with your magical videogame spells.

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012
A few cool things you can do in the game, just in case you didn't know

1. After unlocking the ability to shoot, mid air, when you jump out of a vehicle, whatever vehicle you shoot at will blow up with one shot. Really hilarious when you think about it, especially when a poor soul is locked in your trunk

2. You can actually run up a wall, and then turn around and kick a dude in the face mid air (it has to be a wall you can't climb). All you have to do is hit X when moving towards a wall, then hit square while you're the highest you can go before you start falling

3. If you're facing on coming traffic, doing a wheelie on a bike and you hit a smallish car (I don't think anything bigger than a mini van will work), you go up the hood of the car like a ramp

Edit: 4. Also, when landing from a jump, tap x a bunch of times and you'll roll. You probably only have to hit it once, but I'm not precise enough for that

narujoe fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 20, 2012

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
This game is amazing and I need more goons playing this game on my friends list to have something to shoot for in the challenges.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/reservedspace

Let's be friends~

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I have a weird question that has possibly been asked before but I've been gifted this game from a friend in the UK without even realizing it is apparently not even available in the German Steam store. It just doesn't show up except for some trailers. Not a problem, really, since I could install and play it just fine. The problem is I can't get any of the DLC, including the free HD texture pack. All it gives me is a "Oops, sorry! This item is currently unavailable in your region" screen which.. well, isn't exactly helpful.

Anyone know why it wouldn't be on the German Steam store or what I could do to at least get the free DLC? I suppose I could use a VPN or something and download it through there but I also assume it's a pretty big download and going through a proxy would suck for that. Not to mention that I'm kind of wary of using proxies and whatever, I don't wanna end up losing my Steam library.

I also don't wanna contact Steam support for this because I'm worried they'll take away the game or worse for "circumventing region lock" or some other bullshit. I know stuff like that usually works out fine but I'd rather do it some "legal" way than risk getting banned or something. At worst I guess I can wait till the game finally shows up on the German store and then hopefully get the DLC.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

abraxas posted:

I have a weird question that has possibly been asked before but I've been gifted this game from a friend in the UK without even realizing it is apparently not even available in the German Steam store. It just doesn't show up except for some trailers. Not a problem, really, since I could install and play it just fine. The problem is I can't get any of the DLC, including the free HD texture pack. All it gives me is a "Oops, sorry! This item is currently unavailable in your region" screen which.. well, isn't exactly helpful.

Anyone know why it wouldn't be on the German Steam store or what I could do to at least get the free DLC? I suppose I could use a VPN or something and download it through there but I also assume it's a pretty big download and going through a proxy would suck for that. Not to mention that I'm kind of wary of using proxies and whatever, I don't wanna end up losing my Steam library.

I also don't wanna contact Steam support for this because I'm worried they'll take away the game or worse for "circumventing region lock" or some other bullshit. I know stuff like that usually works out fine but I'd rather do it some "legal" way than risk getting banned or something. At worst I guess I can wait till the game finally shows up on the German store and then hopefully get the DLC.

I'm pretty sure I read that the german edition needs some additional content cuts to get released there, so has been delayed.

Thats over and above the cuts made to the japanese version.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
Just finished the game- I actually had to look away from the screen when Jackie was strung up and gutted. I really thought that he was going to make it through the game and escape and live a happy life with Jiu Mei! He was pretty much a victim throughout this whole game, it still makes me smile when I remember the first mission with the counterfeit watches and he thought he was big poo poo and everything.

Echoing sentiments of everybody else- more DLC!

Hinora
Mar 1, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

I would pay money for soundtracks of the music from Softly and Ninja Tune Radio.

I think a lot of the Ninja Tunes tracks are from 2002 and 2010 so have a look out for the Ninja Tunes XX series they are pretty good collections of the better Ninja Tunes artists.

Also just 100% the game, getting the drat gambling medals was a right pain in the rear end.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

The best part about having a gun handy, is if one of those robber missions pop up you just loving headshot him and skip the chase. gently caress YOU YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE SUN ON YEE.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

stratego posted:

I got the Part Time Assassin outfit. I can't believe this game has a reference to Fulltime Killer in it, amazing.
I swear to god, if I run across a Midnight Express I'm going to lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Fluo posted:

Completed the story line yesterday, need to get like 10% more in the bar for level 10cop.

However had been saving cash up for ages thinking you could buy guns and such but couldn't, so just spend it on the most expensive car in the game.

:3:

That's exactly what I did. Despite the fact that it steers like a lounge chair with wheels, it sure looks pretty! Or maybe I just suck at driving. Needless to say I didn't realise you could be propelled that far from a vehicle until I got this thing.

• Locked thread