Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I did duping to get ephemeral stones to make worlds black when needed, and to get my PFS to +10 and I redid my quality winged spear to moon +5. But there's no way to get pure moonlightstone outside of the lizards in 3-2 and 3-3? I think I killed them earlier.

The lizards respawn 3 times and are more likely to drop good stones at pure black tendency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I killed the one at the top of the stairs and got a pure on my first true, and at pure white tendency. Pretty lucky.

I still want to get the pure greystone though, not only for the damage but for the S strength bonus. Do you think I should get one within an hour killing the six rock worms at PBWT?

One nice thing is that they die much quicker to a moon weapon. I guess they are susceptible to magic damage.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

actionjackson posted:

I killed the one at the top of the stairs and got a pure on my first true, and at pure white tendency. Pretty lucky.

I still want to get the pure greystone though, not only for the damage but for the S strength bonus. Do you think I should get one within an hour killing the six rock worms at PBWT?

One nice thing is that they die much quicker to a moon weapon. I guess they are susceptible to magic damage.

Did you get the pure greystone Scirvir gives you for showing him the dragon bone smasher?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Chachi posted:

Did you get the pure greystone Scirvir gives you for showing him the dragon bone smasher?

Doesn't world tendency need to be pure white for this to happen?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

One of the things I can appreciate about Dark Souls is that they made one of each 'pure' material an item loot in the game world, as well as respawnable enemies that drop each one of every material type.

(next 5 posts start talking about how farming for pure bladestone ruined your life)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

I did duping to get ephemeral stones to make worlds black when needed, and to get my PFS to +10 and I redid my quality winged spear to moon +5. But there's no way to get pure moonlightstone outside of the lizards in 3-2 and 3-3? I think I killed them earlier.

Yeah, that's the only source. Have to get to ng+ or get a goon drop.

actionjackson posted:

An hour did it for me back in the day, but there is luck involved of course.

And yeah, those worms are super weak to magic. Their faces are weak too. Try shooting them in the face with a soul ray, you'll often get four digit damage.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 18, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Allant is being a pain. I'm using a spear to stay away, but I've still gotten soulsucked several times. What's the best shield for him? Some of his attacks are magic right?

I'm going to upgrade my newly found great sword to +4 crushing, then dupe a colorless soul to get a +5 tower shield. That has better stability and better magic defense than the PFS.

edit: done, but got soulsucked a lot.

I can't upgrade my shield yet because I didn't give the flamelurker soul to ed. I wanted to, but after 30+ tries I just gave up. He wouldn't take it no matter what I tried.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 18, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Allant is being a pain. I'm using a spear to stay away, but I've still gotten soulsucked several times. What's the best shield for him? Some of his attacks are magic right?

I'm going to upgrade my newly found great sword to +4 crushing, then dupe a colorless soul to get a +5 tower shield. That has better stability and better magic defense than the PFS.

edit: done, but got soulsucked a lot.

I can't upgrade my shield yet because I didn't give the flamelurker soul to ed. I wanted to, but after 30+ tries I just gave up. He wouldn't take it no matter what I tried.

I've never heard of Ed not asking for it. He isn't doing it even after picking Talk until his lines repeat and then addressing him again?

For future reference, the dark silver shield has 100% magic resist so it's the best thing on Allant, although I really recommend favoring dodges over blocks there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I beat the game and am in NG+ in world 2. Staying in soul form to get pure greystone. I beat flamelurker on the first try - it was actually quite easy using a spear along with +10 PFS. Honestly it seems like the spear is just the way to go for some bosses, I'll have to try it on Maneater. You can get some strong jabs in while keeping yourself defended.

I did give the soul this time, you have to keep talking to him until he repeats himself, then go back and talk again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OMG, I must have done 2-1 once in human form on accident. Now I can't get PWWT again. Holy poo poo I am awful. Is there anyone that can drop me one online? I'm around level 75-80.

Actually I distinctly remember suiciding before each level. Here's a screenshot of my game, that's pretty clearly pure white. I think there's a glitch going on or something. DBS is still blocked off and no Scirvir.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
My biggest gaming accomplishment: beating Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. Thank God I kept rescuing Ostrava, because the Demonbrandt helped me out enormously during the battle with the False King. Also, it took 20 minutes plinking at the blue dragon with arrows for 13 damage each to kill it. Fun!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Finally got the pure greystone from the rockworms. What a pain, though obviously not nearly as bad as pure bladestone.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It seems like upgraded spears are a bit cheap in this game. Honestly I had no trouble killing flamelurker and maneater on NG+ just hiding behind either my PFS+10 or DSS+5 and doing an R2 attack with the spear every so often. I can't think of any enemy that can defend itself well against one.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's the PFS that's seriously OP, not the spear. The moon spear is a little too safe / versatile though.

How long did it take you to get your pure greystone?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's the PFS that's seriously OP, not the spear. The moon spear is a little too safe / versatile though.

How long did it take you to get your pure greystone?

On this run (NG+) I'd say it was around 20 runs, so 120 rock worms.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Finally back to this game after getting bored with Dark Souls again. Figured out how to kill Dragon God (seriously I felt pretty stupid when I figured out you can just hit the stupid rubble in your way) and made it through to the first shortcut of Boletaria Palace. I died a zillion times on the way, mostly to those goddamn ninjas. Also, I learned that you shouldn't try to climb a ladder when there's like 8 dudes waiting for you at the top.

I'm still going for a DEX/INT build, but I haven't found any good DEX based weapons yet, so I'm sticking with a Dragon sword +4 for now. I found a Dark Heater Shield somewhere and that has better defense than anything else. I like a fast roll, so I'm still using the leather armor (can you not upgrade armor in this game? Neither of the blacksmiths give me the option).

Tomorrow I'm going to finish out the Palace and then try to kill Maneater again. I'm really enjoying playing the game blind, I just can't help but feel like I'm probably missing a shitload of stuff. I looked at the wiki for what to use the Dragon God's soul for, but other than that I haven't peeked at it (even though it is incredibly tempted).

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

EC posted:

Finally back to this game after getting bored with Dark Souls again. Figured out how to kill Dragon God (seriously I felt pretty stupid when I figured out you can just hit the stupid rubble in your way) and made it through to the first shortcut of Boletaria Palace. I died a zillion times on the way, mostly to those goddamn ninjas. Also, I learned that you shouldn't try to climb a ladder when there's like 8 dudes waiting for you at the top.

I'm still going for a DEX/INT build, but I haven't found any good DEX based weapons yet, so I'm sticking with a Dragon sword +4 for now. I found a Dark Heater Shield somewhere and that has better defense than anything else. I like a fast roll, so I'm still using the leather armor (can you not upgrade armor in this game? Neither of the blacksmiths give me the option).

Tomorrow I'm going to finish out the Palace and then try to kill Maneater again. I'm really enjoying playing the game blind, I just can't help but feel like I'm probably missing a shitload of stuff. I looked at the wiki for what to use the Dragon God's soul for, but other than that I haven't peeked at it (even though it is incredibly tempted).

If you're going for a dex int build I would just pick a quick weapon and take it through the int upgrade path for the simulated experience. That has given me the desired results. I don't think there is any reason to have int/dex like there is in Dark Souls. I might be remembering wrong though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EC posted:

The two things you may want to look up are world tendency and the upgrade system, because they're completely vague and not entirely consistent. Only certain weapons can go down certain upgrade paths, the places where they split are not always the same, Boldwin only has access to a few upgrade paths, etc.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

http://www.twitch.tv/theurbanorb/b/325973343 :wtc:

Now he's onto dark souls challenges (SL1 with restrictions). I thought he'd stop after the first two runs but he's just really insane.

When he killed Allant at NG+7 PBWT he got 269K souls.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 20, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I know some people say Dark Souls is the best game but really Demons Souls is the best. It's so good. I want to run around with a crescent falchion IRL. I want to go to psychic jail and free a saint. I want to engage in sick supernatural combat with a beast of flames.

I want to fail six times six times to defeat gargoyle beats on a narrow walkway above a hellswamp and then finally defeat them with a gross burst of accelerated flame and stand for a second in disbelief.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 20, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

They're just different. Demon's Souls is more about grittiness and despair. Dark Souls has more of a fantasy/magical element to it. I'd like a game that combined the upgrading and online elements of Dark Souls with the environment and quality of bosses of Demon's Souls.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
As much as I love how the environments in Dark Souls tie together, there's something extra creepy about the levels in Demon's. That jail was one of the creepiest things I've ever walked through in a video game, and Dark Souls just doesn't have anything like that. Maybe the Painted World, but that's as close as it gets.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
"Well, let's hit this fog gate in the Boletarian Palace and see what's up!"

*watches chuckles get stabbed*
*dies in two hits*

"Guess that's why they call that dude the Pentetrator!"

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Actually I thought 3-2 was the creepiest part of the game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Orzo posted:

Actually I thought 3-2 was the creepiest part of the game.

The blood swamp was pretty unsettling, but something about the ambience of 3-1 really gave me the creeps.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

il serpente cosmico posted:

The blood swamp was pretty unsettling, but something about the ambience of 3-1 really gave me the creeps.

The tight corridors, missing floors, and the constant screams in the background don't help.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Sheep-Goats posted:

I know some people say Dark Souls is the best game but really Demons Souls is the best.

Dark Souls improves on everything Demon's Souls had going for it. I loved Demon's Souls to death, but imo Dark Souls is objectively a better game. I still miss the Kilij though.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I don't think you know what 'objective' means, or you're joking. One thing is objective though: Dark Souls has an objectively worse framerate!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I am going to say that Dark Souls' bosses pale in comparison to Demons' Souls' bosses, though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Orzo posted:

I don't think you know what 'objective' means, or you're joking. One thing is objective though: Dark Souls has an objectively worse framerate!

Demon's Souls has areas where the framerate drops just like Dark Souls.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Novum posted:

Dark Souls improves on everything Demon's Souls had going for it. I loved Demon's Souls to death, but imo Dark Souls is objectively a better game. I still miss the Kilij though.

Not bosses, and certainly not atmosphere.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

actionjackson posted:

Not bosses, and certainly not atmosphere.

That's more of a preference thing. You can't account for tastes. There's some cool little stuff that I liked better in Demon's Souls but Dark Souls is just so much more everything. There is no question in my mind about it.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Dark Souls was a better game just because the final boss was incredible compared to Demon's Souls.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
False King will always be the true final boss for me.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

Remind me which area in Demon's Souls is just as bad as Blighttown?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So, uh, I guess I'm not supposed to take on King Allant at SL50, right? I didn't do too bad at first, but then he nailed me with an AOE attack and killed me in one hit. :(

(I'm sure you can do it at SL1 naked but I'm talking about my first time through)

Also, gently caress that dragon. And the prince bummed me out! Double :(

Anyway, I made some good progress today. Freed two NPCs, took down Penetrator fairly easily, leveled up to SL50, lost 30k souls to Allant, and got a bunch of loot. One of the NPCs is a sorcery vendor, so that worked out. Or would work out, if I wasn't scared to use my precious Demon's Souls for stuff. I keep worrying I'm gonna find something better.

At SL50 I'm currently at 20/24/15/12/20/20/12/7. Any advice on what direction I should go over the next 50 levels? I'm thinking VIT should go to 30, END to at least 20 if not 25, and then I can up INT to 30 for the extra MP and another spell slot. And then just crank Magic until I feel like a god of blue death? I dunno.

I'm still using the Leather armor, having not found anything that I would trade my mobility for. My primary weapon is a Dragon Long Sword +4, which has served me very well so far (if I could find some chunks of Draginstone I'd upgrade it to +5 in a heartbeat). I've got a shitload of upgrade materials that I'm hoarding at the Nexus until I feel like I should research the upgrade process, but I probably won't do that until I fell like my current weapon is lagging. I'm using the Rune shield because it looks aces and I was tired of looking at the Heater shield.

Tomorrow: Maneater. And whatever is beyond. Still haven't touched world 5, so maybe I'll poke my head in there.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

EC posted:

So, uh, I guess I'm not supposed to take on King Allant at SL50, right? I didn't do too bad at first, but then he nailed me with an AOE attack and killed me in one hit. :(

(I'm sure you can do it at SL1 naked but I'm talking about my first time through)

Most players do Allant last or second to last (leaving 5-3 for last). Just so you know though, you can knock him out of his AoE attack animation with pretty much any attack.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

voltron lion force posted:

If you're trying to say that they both have places where the framerate drops, sure, yeah. Almost all games do.

If you're trying to say the framerate drops are as bad in Demon's Souls then you obviously forgot about Blighttown.

Edit: Beaten

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Allant pretty much always one shots you with that AoE. The trick is to go kamikaze and attack while he charges it, since it will knock him out of the animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ArtIsResistance posted:

Dark Souls was a better game just because the final boss was incredible compared to Demon's Souls.

You mean the guy that you can parry over and over?

And let's be fair, the actual final boss is False King Allant, who is awesome. Not to mention Flamelurker and Maneater.

• Locked thread