Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

...! posted:

I've never played Starhawk (Sony itself is on my boycott list) so I never really looked too much at any info about the game. I've always assumed it was basically "Warhawk, but in space." But the season finale of The Tester ( SHUT UP :argh: ) asserts that there is a full single-player campaign. Is that any good at all? It seems like that might be the first game to get dinged for "tacked-on single player."

It's good. It's like...maybe...65-75% of the way there to a great campaign. It can be played on multiple difficulties and the loading cutscenes for the story can be skipped after about 30 seconds. It's got a nice style and great music. The story isn't quite there and early on it feels a bit like a tutorial, but overall it's fun. Besides, the game is complex enough to really require a robust tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Is it that much more complex than Warhawk? Warhawk had a learning curve, true, but it was pretty easy to figure out. The only single-player it had was a few crude tutorials to show you the basics of killing poo poo.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to start a fight; I'm just genuinely curious.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

...! posted:

(Sony itself is on my boycott list) "

Yet you own a PS3? Huh?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

ZackHoagie posted:

Yet you own a PS3? Huh?

Maybe he is renting it or bought it used.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

...! posted:

Is it that much more complex than Warhawk? Warhawk had a learning curve, true, but it was pretty easy to figure out. The only single-player it had was a few crude tutorials to show you the basics of killing poo poo.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to start a fight; I'm just genuinely curious.
Nah it's not bad at all. The building aspect is pretty easy to grasp. Starhawk piloting is probably the most complex thing in the game, considering how much they can do + you gotta pick up power ups and poo poo.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Neon Knight posted:

Maybe he is renting it

What is this, 1996?

quote:

or bought it used.
Still, by owning games for their system, using their services, and other stuff he is still supporting them. It seems weird as heck.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Rap Game Forum Mod posted:

Nah it's not bad at all. The building aspect is pretty easy to grasp. Starhawk piloting is probably the most complex thing in the game, considering how much they can do + you gotta pick up power ups and poo poo.

Haha, I was never good at actually piloting the warhawks in Warhawk. It probably had to do with the fact that I actually got into the game a year or two after its release. Every time I got in a warhawk I'd be shot down almost instantly. I ended up becoming pretty adept at fighting on foot/in land vehicles and just left the warhawks to the veterans having crazy dogfights. I'd probably ignore the starhawks if I ever play that game.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ZackHoagie posted:

Yet you own a PS3? Huh?

Maybe he's talking about boycotting games published by Sony?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

HardDisk posted:

Maybe he's talking about boycotting games published by Sony?

It should be obvious to that guy that this is what I meant, but some people are bad at critical thinking.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

...! posted:

It should be obvious to that guy that this is what I meant, but some people are bad at critical thinking.

So you're like a vegan that wears leather.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
I just don't see the difference between not giving them profit by buying their games yet giving them profit with literally everything else. Dick.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

...! posted:

It's slightly more complex than Warhawk. That WH tutorial was patched in after the fact. The game wasn't exactly easy to figure out before that.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

...! posted:

Unless you only buy used games and never visit the PSN Store, a certain percentage of the money you spend on PSN / PS3 content is pocketed by Sony.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 21, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If you bought a used PS3, and only bought used games, and played online a lot, wouldn't you actually be costing Sony money? not much of course, like fractions of pennies, but still.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Sony recently implemented a requirement that all of their published first party games come with an online pass. This is a recent thing, and wasn't around when he bought his PS3. All he's doing is refusing to show his support for this business practice by not buying the games that utilize it. Talking about the PS3 as a console and the PSN store etc is missing the point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every digital game comes with an online pass.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

second-hand smegma posted:

From what I understand Twisted Metal was abandoned and is pretty dead online.

I'm kind of glad I initially passed, then. I have a used copy, but haven't played it yet.

Taratang posted:

Twisted Metal nearly bricked my PS3 so gently caress that game. Crashed on start-up before getting to the title screen so I held the power button and restarted - system boots to a blackscreen. Turned off power at the mains, and looked online to see if there was a known issue - turns out David Jaffe himself admitted it's a known issue with "older" PS3s but the devs can't replicate it so they not able/willing to fix it.

Left it for a few more minutes and tried turning back on again, system finally booted properly so I ejected that piece of poo poo and returned it sharpish.

This is even worse. How is the single player?

Uncharted talk: I've not played any of the 3. If I start, should I actually play 1, or just start with 2?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The story in 1 is worth playing, even though the gameplay is flawed. They're all still really good games.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Twisted Metal single player is alright. Nothing amazing, but a good distraction for an afternoon. But if you want the bonus car, have fun beating it really fast on the highest difficulty!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

eightysixed posted:

Uncharted talk: I've not played any of the 3. If I start, should I actually play 1, or just start with 2?
Definitely start with 1, then 2, then 3.

You'd basically start in the middle of the characters relationships if you skip the first one.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 21, 2012

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
The subtitle of this thread should be, "Play the Uncharted games in sequential order."

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

eightysixed posted:

Sequential order is preferred... 1 has a really fun story and great environments even though the gameplay is a little bit clunky. Best to play it first before you get used to the more natural control of the sequels.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of this console generation. I rented it when I first got my PS3, the game had only been out for a few months at that point. I didn't really know anything at all about it, just that it was getting a lot of buzz on the internet. The entire single player blew me away.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Uncharted 1 is a pretty good game, I really enjoyed it, but 2 blew me away. But it's worth it to get to know all the characters as the story deepens in to considerably.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Apparently PS+ members can get into the Dust 514 beta starting this week.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Harlock posted:

Apparently PS+ members can get into the Dust 514 beta starting this week.

It's going to be really interesting to see what people think. I've been playing the game for so long now that I'm pretty sure I have a form of Stockholm Syndrome. It's come so very, very far, but newcomers are going to be the real litmus test, because I know there's stuff that's probably going to piss them off.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The beta is already up.

The 60-minute trial of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is also up for PS+ members, but it's hidden under Playstation Plus -> Exclusives -> Full Game Trials. It was suppose to be downloaded automatically through Automatic Update last night, but that didn't happen.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 21, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SamBishop posted:

It's going to be really interesting to see what people think. I've been playing the game for so long now that I'm pretty sure I have a form of Stockholm Syndrome. It's come so very, very far, but newcomers are going to be the real litmus test, because I know there's stuff that's probably going to piss them off.

I trust you a lot (I know opinions can differ) but I have never been more let down in my life than playing that Beta. Not because it's rough around the edges. I can stomach that in a beta if the core feels promising. It's just ROUGH right down to it's very soul.

Disclaimer: I haven't played in several weeks. If they've made sweeping improvements, perhaps it warrants a re-judge. :)

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Vita game Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational will be released again as a PS3 version, at least in Japan.

Now if they could manage to port Uncharted Golden Abyss to PS3 as well... :allears:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Is there not a Rage Demo in the PSN store? I thought there was one released. I looked it up and it's on the Xbox marketplace, and Google tells me that there were plans to release one that I haven't seen any info to contradict.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

If anyone's willing to help me get the Squad multiplayer trophy for Killzone 3, add me on PSN: MaeusB. We could be best friends.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Is there not a Rage Demo in the PSN store? I thought there was one released. I looked it up and it's on the Xbox marketplace, and Google tells me that there were plans to release one that I haven't seen any info to contradict.

I don't remember ever seeing one, no.

OK, so whoever designed the areas leading up to the final area in Amalur needs to be hit with a stick. This is some of the most terrible poo poo I've encountered in a game. It's literally hours of slogging through as many enemies as the game can throw at you without making GBS threads itself, making forward progress at an excruciatingly slow pace. I'm nearly all the way through it, having taken the better part of two (!) nights to get through this one drat quest. It's boring as poo poo and it goes on for way too loving long.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Your addiction to Trophies is going to end you.

"10//itchy.tasty." - ...!'s last post, October 4th, 2014AD.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Yeah I'm pretty sure most people would have traded in a game they hate that much by now.

You check any guides or something to see it there's a shortcut you're missing or something?

The GIG fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 22, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I've platted several games out of pure spite. This game is merely bad. It has flaws that need to be pointed out. And yeah, all the guides pretty much say you just have to bulldoze through it. It's bad design.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

There was a demo at one point (I remember playing it), maybe they've taken it down if you can't find it. I don't remember being very impressed.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Edit: Gonna avoid posting while mad at in real life things

The GIG fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 22, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, it was released back in December. It probably got pulled from the PS store like most other demos. :sigh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you had $50 to spend on any PS3 games in the PSN, what would you choose?

I've already got $15 in Journey which I still didn't have, was considering Shadow of the Colossus HD and wanted to keep some for the eventual Dark Souls DLC. I've been using all my PSN credit on Vita stuff recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is Shadow still $20? I noticed it's $20 for the collection on disc at Gamestop now, so unless they dropped the price SOC it's a ripoff on PSN.

• Locked thread