Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

actionjackson posted:

They're just different. Demon's Souls is more about grittiness and despair. Dark Souls has more of a fantasy/magical element to it.

I really feel the opposite way. Everything in Dark Souls, right down the HUD (which you'll notice is very grainy and old-looking compared to DeS' which is smooth and shiny), feels very worn down and dilapidated in general. Maybe it's also because Dark Souls was the first one I played and thus was much harder, and also because its bosses are frustrating brick walls more frequently, but I get the despair sort of atmosphere much more strongly from it than Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls feels like it has a much more steady and consistent level of progression, and there's actually an ending that is for the most part a resolution to the major conflict of the story, whereas in Dark Souls it's pretty ambiguous either way. Dark Souls' style is definitely more unique but I'm not sure I personally like it as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I thought the bosses sucked in Demon's, full stop. The exception is the monk. DS was fantastic with storied bosses and a final area that made my jaw drop.

On the flip side DS feels like they ripped every setting from DeS and repurposed it. That was disappointing. Although having three completely optional, secret areas in DS was cool.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

There's nothing in DkS that compares to the despair of 3-1, 3-2, 5-1, 5-2.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Losing to an immortal dragon and being locked in his prison as a research slave, escaping, and watching as the giant gently caress-off lizardmen youve been carefully going toe-to-toe with run in fear from the prison's lovecraftian securty force?

Also crystal caves and ash lake

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Being neutral about both games is a pretty boring stance, but god drat, it's impossible for me to pick a favorite between the two. They're definitely the most well crafted games I've played in the last fifteen years.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Losing to an immortal dragon and being locked in his prison as a research slave, escaping, and watching as the giant gently caress-off lizardmen youve been carefully going toe-to-toe with run in fear from the prison's lovecraftian securty force?

Also crystal caves and ash lake

There's nothing depressing about that level. It has more of a "magical" feel to it than anything else.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

actionjackson posted:

There's nothing depressing about that level. It has more of a "magical" feel to it than anything else.
The two crying Pisacas (picasa? picasso?) are pretty depressing.
Though, I would definitely agree that those Demon's Souls levels hit really hard on a sort of ominous/solemn/depressing atmosphere. I would say that Dark Souls as a whole has more depressing stories/lore than Demon's Souls, but Demon's Souls expresses that notion in some of its levels a lot better. That's not to say that Demon's Souls doesn't have its share of depressing stories, though (i.e. Garl/Astrea)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

justdan posted:

Remind me which area in Demon's Souls is just as bad as Blighttown?

Orzo posted:

If you're trying to say that they both have places where the framerate drops, sure, yeah. Almost all games do.

If you're trying to say the framerate drops are as bad in Demon's Souls then you obviously forgot about Blighttown.

Well 5-2 does lag as bad as Blighttown in the shanty town section. Its a short part of the overall game, but the game overall is shorter than Dark Souls. I would say they are comparable.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
:fuckyeah: Maneater is down! Only took me 5 attempts that time. :)

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How much smaller is Des compared to DaS? DaS feels gigantic because every area is connected somewhat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So the Old Monk was the weirdest fight I've seen so far. Maybe because I've been rocking a claw gimmick in DaS for awhile now, or maybe because it was nice to see where Jeremiah's hat came from. Anyway, that's two worlds down.

I'm still leery of world 5, so I think I'm going to attempt to finish world 4 first.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

How much smaller is Des compared to DaS? DaS feels gigantic because every area is connected somewhat.

I would say roughly 50-75% smaller... maybe more its hard to tell. But mostly it feels smaller due to the segmented levels and less optional content.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

jonjonaug posted:

Most players do Allant last or second to last (leaving 5-3 for last). Just so you know though, you can knock him out of his AoE attack animation with pretty much any attack.

What, really? I beat this for the first time about a month ago and I thought world 5 in general was the easiest, its archdemon especially. The dark silver shield I got in 5-3 also was invaluable for rest the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kneel Before Zog posted:

It has 3/4 as many bosses, but that's including optional ones in DaSo. It doesn't have quite the variety of locales since the map design is focused on exploring 5 places rather than wandering around a world. I'd call each area about the size of Anor Londo or Blight Town, maybe a bit bigger.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Got invaded for the first time! I'm pretty sure it wasn't a NPC, unless FROM is adding characters named sniper5161719 to the game. I even managed to beat him, which completely surprised me. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Finished off Old Hero, Storm King, and Leechmonger today. Definitely feel over-leveled for the Valley of Defilement so far, but I'm sure that will change soon. All three were kind of middle of the road bosses. I recognized Old Hero's gimmick pretty quickly, so he wasn't difficult except getting used to dodging his attacks. Storm King had an excellent "cliff on the edge of the world" vibe going, but I thought the gimmick was rather lame (can you do anything else with that sword?). Leechmonger would have been much tougher if I had taken it on earlier in the game.

I feel like I'm zooming to the end of the game. In a way, I can't wait to finish it so I can crank up NG+ and start figuring all the stuff I missed. On the other hand, I'll be sad I don't get to experience it for the first time again. :(

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The Stormruler is pretty useless outside of that area, but it's actually a really good place to farm souls, so you may get a good amount of use out of it. Also, you aren't required to use the Stormruler in that boss fight--I believe any ranged attack will work.

I remember leaving world 5 until I'd finished up everything else, and I felt pretty over-powered for it. I know 5-2 gets a lot of hate, but I didn't find it too terrible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stormruler also doesn't scale at all so it's fairly worthless past the first run.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I pushed into 5-2 and jesus christ did I get loving lost. Eventually I stumbled across a black phantom (that reminded me of a certain other butcher knife wielding phantom) that wrecked my poo poo when I tried to roll in the swamp. Where's my trusty Rusted Iron ring when I need it?

Decided to leave it at that for the day.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dis astranagant posted:

Stormruler also doesn't scale at all so it's fairly worthless past the first run.

It's a good pvp weapon for mages because any hit with it knocks people down and you can then hit them with a fireball when they stand up (or firestorm if you're a cheap guy). And it has, like, no stat requirements.

Worthless in PvM though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I guess there's not a lot of online action because I had trouble invading quite a bit (I was at SL 113). Had a few hits at 1-4, otherwise nothing (tried 3-2 and 4-1).

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

I would be 100% more interested in NG+ and onward if world tendencies ceased to matter once you start the NG+. Are there any conflicting tendency events that couldn't happen with PBWT and PWWT happening at the same time? Or any reason why they couldn't patch in stones that you can activate to "enter" a given world tendency?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Are there any conflicting tendency events that couldn't happen with PBWT and PWWT happening at the same time?
Yes? Almost all of them? 1-1, for instance - different forms of Miralda in the same place. 2-1, different forms of Scrivir in the same place. 4-1 Satsuki. 5-2 Selen Vinland. You get the picture. Not to mention that the different tendencies have different stat modifiers, and you might not want Black Phantoms all over the place.

I think Stones would've been good, though. It is a shame.

On a related note, I didn't know or bother to learn about character or world tendencies on my NG, so now on my NG+ I'm trying to get everything done for all the trophies. But at the very start when I got to the Nexus, I killed the crestfallen soldier because gently caress that mopy guy. And now I don't think I can get the Friend's ring this game. Goddamnit.

Also: The trophy that needs Pure Bladestone.

gently caress.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 23, 2012

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Got it! Took maybe 7-8 hours of grinding, though. And now I'm all done!

I love trophies/achievements, because they give games a meta structure that I usually need, for some reason, to keep playing. But then when I get all the trophies/achievements, like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls it makes me feel like I'm done and should stop playing, even though I'm having fun still. It's weird!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Only time I have been invaded recently was outside the False King's room in 1-4, at least the Blue Dragon of Endless Pain was dead that time, he's one hell of a roadblock especially on NG+ and beyond where he one shots you.

About Latria, to this day I still don't know what the huge heart is for, is it a Monster Spawner? is it a sort if life support for the Old Monk? Or both, I just don't know.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
IMO it's some kind of manifestation of the formerly functioning day to day administrative aspects of Latria. The Yellow Robe has over time so far perverted Latria that some metaphor in the Old Monk's mind has become a physical reality. The blood in the swamp I assume used to be Latria's citizens. The monsters its police.

This is all pure unfounded speculation.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For faith builds is a blessed weapon a better option than the meat cleaver?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

actionjackson posted:

In my opinion the answer is no, but that's because the cleaver scales off so many different stats. You'll probably get good results out of a blessed mirdan hammer or similar, though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

Yes. Faith scaling on the cleaver is a bit lower. It's a good option (especially if you don't have the upgrade stones farmed up yet), but I prefer the Blessed Great Axe for that moveset.

Also the cleaver is a little too ubiquitous, it's nice to see another season wobbling around on the screen.

You can enchant the cleaver, though. But part of the appeal of faith weapons is their low maintenance performance. The magic damage cuts through most defenses and almost no foes are strong to it and they heal you slowly. Part of their charm IMO, especially for PvM.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 31, 2012

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Blessed Great Axe

Crushin' or Nothin' :colbert:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yes. Faith scaling on the cleaver is a bit lower. It's a good option (especially if you don't have the upgrade stones farmed up yet), but I prefer the Blessed Great Axe for that moveset.

Also the cleaver is a little too ubiquitous, it's nice to see another season wobbling around on the screen.

You can enchant the cleaver, though. But part of the appeal of faith weapons is their low maintenance performance. The magic damage cuts through most defenses and almost no foes are strong to it and they heal you slowly. Part of their charm IMO, especially for PvM.

If I do blessed what are my best options early? I would hit up world 5 first of course and then dupe some faintstone. I would have a blessed mace + 1 right off the bat. I can't get the knight sword until 1-3, what about the bastard sword in 1-1?

Actually I can get the Mirdan Hammer right away in 5-2, so perhaps that's best.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just rock the mace (or falchion) early until I build a dragon weapon and then transfer to a blessed weapon when I'm ready stat wise. If you wanted to be more pure about it would probably be mace to either mirdan or great axe.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm finding the Halberd moveset kind of annoying when you're using it one-handed. A bit too slow for me. I'm going to get the meat cleaver and see how I like it for now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I'm finding the Halberd moveset kind of annoying when you're using it one-handed. A bit too slow for me. I'm going to get the meat cleaver and see how I like it for now.

Hehe, you don't use them one handed. The whole point is their awesome 2handed moves.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Yeah the Halberd is easily the best weapon in the game. Don't even bother with a shield. If you get your stamina up to a point where you can do five consecutive hits you can stunlock basically anything in the game including some bosses. Also it can hit stuff that's on the ground, perfect for the wannabe Cthulhu guards in the Tower of Latria.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah I'll have to compare once I get enough faintstone to make it blessed. It would be interesting to have regen ring + blessed halberd + adjuticator shield, though the meat cleaver also has it's own form of HP regen.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wow the Meat Cleaver is great. I had to do some farming but as of now it's already doing 364 damage two-handed. Also for some reason the chunk of faintstone in the leechmonger area is not there.

edit: when I went back it appeared. Weird.

I think Blessed Halberd is better for tight spaces like most of 3-1, but if you have more room to move around I'm preferring the Meat Cleaver. Even with the Halberd at +10 is does less damage than the Meat Cleaver.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 1, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, 2h halberd swings are much faster than anything the cleaver has and stunlock the hell out of most everything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

True, though I don't know how often stunlock is really an issue since enemies die pretty quickly either way. Meat Cleaver also has much better scaling and has a knockdown effect. If you're only planning on upgrading faith perhaps the blessed halberd is better, but I've already upped str/dex in order to use certain shields.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Faith Scaling is A for Meat Cleaver. It's also A for blessed weapons (but only at +5).

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
My first play-though was with the Meat Cleaver. The only situation where it didn't shine was the 1-4 boss, where it's speed was an issue.

• Locked thread