Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So I just figured out that you can skip spell animations in Growlanser. No big deal, I was only 35 hours in :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
If everyone is saying that you're likely to quit DA2 about halfway in then what's the actual point in buying it? I played the first and it was okay, I didn't get close to finishing it though. Supposedly the second is far worse so just spend your money on something else, don't buy a game just to struggle through half of it then give up

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Paperhouse posted:

If everyone is saying that you're likely to quit DA2 about halfway in then what's the actual point in buying it?

I'm 90% sure if most of us had been consulted beforehand we woulda said "don't buy it", so.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

If everyone is saying that you're likely to quit DA2 about halfway in then what's the actual point in buying it?

Because 'halfway through DA2' is still more than enough to get $8 out of it, I'd say, especially if you end up enjoying it. I'll also stand by my comment that at that price I think it's worth playing, because it strongly underscores some of the issues Bioware have had lately.

Also, because schadenfreude is funny.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
$8 is cheap enough that I don't feel guilty saying "play it" to someone and have them make their own decisions. It defies logic but I know people who liked DA2 so you never know if someone is going to be that type of person.

EDIT: And also because schadenfreude is funny.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just finished Act 1. This is the thoughts of someone who literally did not know anything about Dragon Age until a few weeks ago and loved the first one.

-The generic quests that give 50 silver is boring and wasted so much time because I thought they were actual quests.

-I can't talk to my companions unless I walk ALL the way to their house?

-I can't change their equipment?!

-Why are the Elves noses so big?

-shutting off a section is not a "New" area, game.

-What the gently caress, Carver died?!

-I accidentally put points into cunning/dex for Fenris. How was I supposed to know Elf+magic runes=Warrior?

-Anders is useless

-Again, re-using an area is annoying because I can't tell if I already explored the place to get new loot.

-At least the game is more optimized for PC than DA:O

-Most of these side quests are terrible at telling me what's going on. Oh hey, I got a severed hand. What happened to her? Why is her hand cut? Huh? Dude, come back. Talk to me, bro!

-Everyone's an rear end in a top hat.

-This is more streamlined than Final Fantasy 13. In fact, I would rather have FF13's linearity because it had more variety x100 at least right now.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Stelas posted:

Because 'halfway through DA2' is still more than enough to get $8 out of it, I'd say, especially if you end up enjoying it. I'll also stand by my comment that at that price I think it's worth playing, because it strongly underscores some of the issues Bioware have had lately.

Also, because schadenfreude is funny.

That game is like some ultra boring movie that has a few decent scenes. You can turn it off in the middle and not miss much or feel bad about it.

You can end the loving game right after Act 1 ends and not miss a thing. Because nothing happens until the end. And what happens at the end is ultra stupid anyway.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't disagree, but I got to the end of Act 2 before I stopped, and that took me ages thanks to combing areas, certainly more than other $20+ games I've bought and strongly enjoyed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Emalde posted:

Hey, ClaDun X2 has finally come out on steam! We've only known about it since Feburary, but there you go. It's even on sale until Legasista's release date (Aug 21)!
Hello there, this has a demo! Does anybody know if your progress in it carries over to the full game or not?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Zereth posted:

Hello there, this has a demo! Does anybody know if your progress in it carries over to the full game or not?

It doesn't. You can't even save in the demo.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Stelas posted:

I don't disagree, but I got to the end of Act 2 before I stopped, and that took me ages thanks to combing areas, certainly more than other $20+ games I've bought and strongly enjoyed.

I actually beat DA2 :shepface:

I'm still confused by the whole story or what was supposed to be a story. I think the KH universe makes more sense as well as being more understandable than DA2 and that is just sad.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wateyad posted:

It doesn't. You can't even save in the demo.
I wasn't exactly overwhelmed by the demo anyway. Oh well! This way I save $15.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

flyboi posted:

I'm still confused by the whole story or what was supposed to be a story.

As far as I can tell it's standard 'templars vs. mages vs. government vs. Arishok' stuff, the main problem being that Hawke is only ever on the periphery and never really in the thick of it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/sp.html

So I might just be getting excited, but that looks like a silhouetted cityscape and TWEWY font. Damnit Square I'm gonna be watching that like a hawk for the rest of the week.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

A Sometimes Food posted:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/sp.html

So I might just be getting excited, but that looks like a silhouetted cityscape and TWEWY font.

Specifically, it's the font they used in game for the countdown clocks every player has. It's definitely something to do with TWEWY. And the background music is a remix of stuff off of the soundtrack. I just hope it's not another Kingdom Hearts guest spot.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 21, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

flyboi posted:

I'm still confused by the whole story or what was supposed to be a story. I think the KH universe makes more sense as well as being more understandable than DA2 and that is just sad.

Really? DA2's not hard to understand; mages and templars hate each other because of reasons, pick a side. It's badly done, sure, but come on.

It's not a good game but jesus this is why I actually enjoyed the game, because everyone on SA made it out to be one of the worst things that had ever been done to video gaming, when it's actually just a mediocre game coming off of a much better one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay, I just started Act 3 and pretty much want most people dead.

gently caress Isabella. Aveline's cool. Fenris is surprisingly jokey and gives no fucks about killing people. I told Merrill to gently caress off at every possible juncture because she's retarded to rebuild the mirror.

Saying the game reused areas is an understatement, goddamn. Backtracking in Star Ocean 3 had more variety than this game.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I've been playing Legasista for most of the day. Just unlocked character creation, and it's pretty much as I expected. If you aren't an art major or at least very good at drawing animes pixel by pixel, you pretty much won't get any use out of it.

Other than that, I do like that they implemented a leveling system that isn't so goddamn ridiculous this time around. You don't get punished for actually using the characters you want to! The music is also excellent, and a major improvement over Cladun (which still had some nice tracks itself).

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 22, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Cityinthesea posted:

Really? DA2's not hard to understand; mages and templars hate each other because of reasons, pick a side. It's badly done, sure, but come on.

It's not a good game but jesus this is why I actually enjoyed the game, because everyone on SA made it out to be one of the worst things that had ever been done to video gaming, when it's actually just a mediocre game coming off of a much better one.

Well it's not the worst thing ever but it certainly marks the point where Bioware went to poo poo. Even if it was made by their C-Team, certain things popped up in their more recent games too, i.e. needlessly prolonging fights with new monsters, extreme railroading and a general "Our stories are the best and gently caress anyone who says different. Especially the players!" attitude.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Miijhal posted:

I've been playing Legasista for most of the day. Just unlocked character creation, and it's pretty much as I expected. If you aren't an art major or at least very good at drawing animes pixel by pixel, you pretty much won't get any use out of it.

Other than that, I do like that they implemented a leveling system that isn't so goddamn ridiculous this time around. You don't get punished for actually using the characters you want to! The music is also excellent, and a major improvement over Cladun (which still had some nice tracks itself).

It looks EXACTLY like Cladun but prettier. The main problem I have with Cladun is even though your skills, party, stats are all very customizable the actual gameplay is a lot of swing, block, swing, block. Once you get past a certain point you have to play very carefully, unless I was just doing something wrong.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
I was wondering if there's ever been anything like a spiritual successor to Phantasy Star IV made (Behind the shoulder perspective battles, sci-fi story, vehicles and other neat map stuff, etc.). With all the Kickstarter games going on I figured something like this would be made.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MaterialConceptual posted:

I was wondering if there's ever been anything like a spiritual successor to Phantasy Star IV made (Behind the shoulder perspective battles, sci-fi story, vehicles and other neat map stuff, etc.). With all the Kickstarter games going on I figured something like this would be made.

I scratch my head every so often at the complete ball-drop Sega did with PSIV. It was such a great game in every way. Mechanically it's dated now, but at the time it was hot poo poo. I still pick it up and marathon it yearly. I loved PSO for different reasons but I always wanted to see PSIV's universe again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
RPG thread, given that I liked Valkyrie Profile 1 and Muramasa, how much would I enjoy VP's sequel and Odin Sphere?

And on a different note, where would you rank Devil Summoner 2 amongst other MegaTen PS2 titles? Assuming one just skips the first one I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nate RFB posted:

RPG thread, given that I liked Valkyrie Profile 1 and Muramasa, how much would I enjoy VP's sequel and Odin Sphere?

And on a different note, where would you rank Devil Summoner 2 amongst other MegaTen PS2 titles? Assuming one just skips the first one I guess.

I enjoyed Odin Sphere more than Muramasa. It's more RPG and less action, but make sure you get it on the PSN to avoid the horrendous slowdown on the PS2. The environments are less interesting - each world is just a series of circular paths that are connected via doorways - but the seed/health/phonon balance thing going on is pretty interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I loved Valkyrie Profile and I enjoyed VP's sequel a lot. It's different but it has the same kind of dungeon and combat design and is in general a lot of fun.

I wasn't huge on Odin Sphere but if you liked Muramasa you might enjoy it. Odin Sphere had a lot too much repetition for my tastes.

DS2 is okay but not great. It has some weird balance decisions and the story is dull as hell.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Valkyrie Profile 2 has its problems - only a handful of characters get plot, there's a lot of simpering, some of your best party members have a habit of vanishing on you - but I think it's a fantastic game, made all the better by the improvements to the battle system. A battle now consists of a large map that you move your squad around, trying to outflank the enemy by evading and dodging into position. Get in range, and you change off into the traditional VP system for a round, with the added bonus that creative dismemberment gets you more in the way of items after battle.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MaterialConceptual posted:

Not in the same world but these have similar mechanics although more Dragon Quest than Phantasy Star -
http://store.steampowered.com/app/107300/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/107310/

If you get the pack play Breath of Death first, Cthulhu Saves the World is way better.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Levantine posted:

I scratch my head every so often at the complete ball-drop Sega did with PSIV. It was such a great game in every way. Mechanically it's dated now, but at the time it was hot poo poo. I still pick it up and marathon it yearly. I loved PSO for different reasons but I always wanted to see PSIV's universe again.
Well, they did kind of write themselves into a corner in that PSIV ended with Our Heroes solving the problem forever. But the cutscenes were great, characters were great... :sigh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Not sure if anyone is interested, but the Ninokuni Special Edition preorder is now available in Canada.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So I picked up a psp kinda intending to play some RPGs. Any good picks for someone who hasn't played a lot of RPGs?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Liar Lyre posted:

So I picked up a psp kinda intending to play some RPGs. Any good picks for someone who hasn't played a lot of RPGs?

I think one of the defacto recommendations is Trails in the Sky. It starts a bit slow, but is all around great. Unfortunately it is part 1 and we may not see the rest. Still worth it.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Persona 3 Portable and Final Fantasy Tactics are both excellent games, too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jeanne D'Arc and Tactics Ogre are pretty good, and I'll echo the recommendations for P3P, FFT, and Trails in the Sky.

Yggdra Union is good, but horribly obtuse, so probably not a great pick for someone who doesn't play many RPGS, unless you're willing to be in over your head.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You should get Lunar Silver Star Story Complete. It's the only version of Lunar that didn't have the issues that both the Saturn and Playstation versions had.

That and get YS....all of YS.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vaerai Archon posted:

You should get Lunar Silver Star Story Complete. It's the only version of Lunar that didn't have the issues that both the Saturn and Playstation versions had.

That and get YS....all of YS.

Umm, SSSC is the Playstation version. You're thinking Silver Star Harmony (which I've yet to really try due to VA spergin)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't know what issues Silver Star Story Complete is supposed to have had, but Silver Star Harmony has unbearable load times. It looks nice though, and uses the Working Designs script (apart from the deletion of a few dated jokes), so it's got a good nostalgia kick to it.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dis astranagant posted:

Umm, SSSC is the Playstation version. You're thinking Silver Star Harmony (which I've yet to really try due to VA spergin)

It's really the best version of the game ever. VAs aside it's really not that noticable. And the redone/remastered parts really are superior.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The NEW REAL VILLAIN poo poo at the very beginning didn't do much to make me keep playing, either. But the moment Ghaleon first speaks was the moment I stopped playing :spergin:

pacman
May 7, 2003

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
How did you make it through Alex's monologue and the first time Nall speaks at the very beginning only to have Ghaleon's bad but not as embarrassing voice inspire you to quit?

SSSC was great, but it was awkward the first time I discovered a random bath house only to find newly remastered scenes of naked teenage anime dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

pacman posted:

How did you make it through Alex's monologue and the first time Nall speaks at the very beginning only to have Ghaleon's bad but not as embarrassing voice inspire you to quit?

SSSC was great, but it was awkward the first time I discovered a random bath house only to find newly remastered scenes of naked teenage anime dudes.

Alex was hardly memorable in SSSC and Nall was already pretty insufferable anyway. Ghaleon's voice was pretty iconic to me, especially after playing EBC.