Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Captain Capitalism posted:

Are there any new streamers out there that are any good? I haven't been watching in a while, and I noticed that there's a whole slew of new names. Sometimes I'd rather watch someone else play.
I'll also second Jon Loucks, his stream is great, and sometimes he does a "community choice" stream where during the draft he'll ask people to vote on a pick between two cards and go with the winners. Not always the most efficient or conservative picks but it can lead to some hilarious and fun decks being played.

I've been enjoying Andrey Yanyuk's stream as of late, He streams M-F @ 11 AM central, and he's a pretty down to earth, normal dude who talks through his plays and picks. Also he doesn't have the problem of the terrible music or douchebaggery that Michael Jacob has going for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Andrew Cuneo is a former pro, funny and chill dude, with a good voice and an eclectic music playlist (lots of jazz and old punk). He's not that popular so you don't have a thousand idiots in his streamchat, and he usually plays Modern Melira Pod or Legacy Enchantress between drafts.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I have drafts for you to critique! All from 4-3-2-2 queues, if that matters.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3ctkt - Won two rounds with Black/Blue, Harbor Bandit is great.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3cggv - White/Green/splashed Red, out in the second round, this deck is a mess. Here as a cautionary tale.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3clvk - Won two rounds, black/red mono-removal+Bloodhunter Bat.dek. Underperformer of the match: Mindclaw Shaman, whiffed every time.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3cjk9 - I had bad feelings about this, taking a Divination first-pick (blaugh!), but a sweet blue/green deck came together and took me to 1st.

I really like this format, it doesn't seem to be as harsh as the "this is the right pick, everything else is crap" sense I got from AVR or DKA. Any of these decks could've been improved, but none of them were nearly as useless as what I drafted in Avacyn Restored.

MVP: Archaeomancer, if you're in blue you can end up with 2-3 of them, and I'm always happy to draw one.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The best compliment I can give M13 is how horrible I am at drafting it. I always did fine in Avacyn, and I think that mostly comes down to the fact that I'm at least as good (probably better) at opening bombs as everyone else.

My last M13 draft ended up mono-green/mono-crap (after my first two picks were Sands of Delirium and the WG elephant). Anyways, it really, convincingly felt like my fault rather than bad packs.

So yeah, good format.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

jmzero posted:

The best compliment I can give M13 is how horrible I am at drafting it. I always did fine in Avacyn, and I think that mostly comes down to the fact that I'm at least as good (probably better) at opening bombs as everyone else.

My last M13 draft ended up mono-green/mono-crap (after my first two picks were Sands of Delirium and the WG elephant). Anyways, it really, convincingly felt like my fault rather than bad packs.

So yeah, good format.

This format really seems to be a lot less about "draft the best cards" than past core sets. All the tools are there to build different archetypes, so it's good to keep an eye on the macro and also what your colors' options provide, i.e., the RW Trumpet Blast Tokens build doesn't want Aven Squire, and UG beats should prioritize Primal Huntbeast and Tricks of the Trade.

Also, there's been a lot of power level shake-up in the reprints. Serra Angel and Scroll Thief got worse, Unsummon and Negate got better, etc.

thewhitehand
Sep 11, 2008

Loot Pinata posted:

I have drafts for you to critique! All from 4-3-2-2 queues, if that matters.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3ctkt - Won two rounds with Black/Blue, Harbor Bandit is great.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3cggv - White/Green/splashed Red, out in the second round, this deck is a mess. Here as a cautionary tale.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3clvk - Won two rounds, black/red mono-removal+Bloodhunter Bat.dek. Underperformer of the match: Mindclaw Shaman, whiffed every time.

Had mindclaw in my draft deck at my LGS last night and whiffed against a B/W player, hit Chandra's Outrage and Searing Blaze froma R/W player and plummet from a G/R player after he equipped his primadox with kitesail LOL. I haven't lost any games from playing that card and whiffing but I've won 2 and lost 3 from either my opponent or me hitting a crucial spell with the mindclaw.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

thewhitehand posted:

Had mindclaw in my draft deck at my LGS last night and whiffed against a B/W player, hit Chandra's Outrage and Searing Blaze froma R/W player and plummet from a G/R player after he equipped his primadox with kitesail LOL. I haven't lost any games from playing that card and whiffing but I've won 2 and lost 3 from either my opponent or me hitting a crucial spell with the mindclaw.

Yea, the upsides are too good not to play. Hitting sleep in a Semi-aggro r/x deck is totally bonkers.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Mindclaw Shaman might be one of my least favorite cards in this set. I don't think it's too powerful but it's certainly too swingy. A lot of the time it does nothing, some of the time it's a 3-for-1 or more. I guess you could say that about other cards, but Mindclaw just strikes me as being random to the point of being unfun.

I think I saw Rinski hit a Predatory Rampage with it, though. So... there's that.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

TheGame posted:

I think I saw Rinski hit a Predatory Rampage with it, though. So... there's that.

It's true, but as I did it, I reminded everyone that this never, ever happens.

Also, OM (and I) are going to stream an M13 draft on her channel in a few minutes.

That was unfortunate, but that's why we're practicing. Also, one of Jackie's friends instantly call her up to tell her she should've done something differently, but was also forgetting Muckwader regenerates. Welp.

rinski fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 22, 2012

thewhitehand
Sep 11, 2008
Is it just me or is the competition in swiss drafts on MODO stiffer than the 8-4 competition?

One of my opponents in an 8-4 successfully made a mill deck with 5 mind sculpt, jace, 2 archeomancers, 2 fog bank, nighthawk, murder, 2 sleep, 3 jaces flying dudes. But I pulled the 3rd round out with 1 card left in my library :D

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

rinski posted:

It's true, but as I did it, I reminded everyone that this never, ever happens.

Also, OM (and I) are going to stream an M13 draft on her channel in a few minutes.

That was unfortunate, but that's why we're practicing. Also, one of Jackie's friends instantly call her up to tell her she should've done something differently, but was also forgetting Muckwader regenerates. Welp.

Sam Black was streaming much later last night/early this morning and was talking about your guys' stream. He was watching it through the twitch app and was a couple minutes behind when things were actually happening. He had expressed interest of possibly going through a draft (or was it the replay of the video?) while on skype and just talking about the picks.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Sam Black was streaming much later last night/early this morning and was talking about your guys' stream. He was watching it through the twitch app and was a couple minutes behind when things were actually happening. He had expressed interest of possibly going through a draft (or was it the replay of the video?) while on skype and just talking about the picks.

Yeah, that's definitely an offer Jackie is going to take up. I know she and Sam have hung out at tournaments before, but that's still really generous of him.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, the upsides are too good not to play. Hitting sleep in a Semi-aggro r/x deck is totally bonkers.

I've been on many a receiving end of a Mindclaw Shaman blowout, most recently while I was holding Divination, Public Execution, Sign in Blood, and Murder. Not cool!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I love mindclaw shaman, but...

when I cast mindclaw shaman, nothing happens and I lose.
when my opponents cast mindclaw shaman, I lose.

red cards :argh:

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I love mindclaw shaman, but...

when I cast mindclaw shaman, nothing happens and I lose.
when my opponents cast mindclaw shaman, I lose.

red cards :argh:

Solution: don't play good spells. :pseudo:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I've had an opponent mindclaw shaman me for a switcheroo and trade me his dragon whelp (no red mana) for my 4/4 vigiliance spider. I did not win that game suffice to say. It's a very hit or miss card but I'm glad it exists and I hope red gets more of those kind of effects.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Last night my opponent plopped down an Elderscale Wurm against my aggro RB deck. I'd already used both of my Murders and I really had no way to kill him barring getting up to 7 mana and drawing Turn to Slag and a Searing Spear, or getting to 9 mana and using a Geyser. Which was unlikely since I had 5 lands and no cards in hand. He was dead to my fliers, but there was no way to get him below 7 life. For those who don't know, the card reads: "As long as you have 7 or more life, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 7 reduces it to 7 instead."

After not making a lethal attack against me for 3 turns, he plopped down a Trading Post and paid a life to make a goat. Elderscale Wurm only works if you're at 7 or more life. He paid a life to go to 6.

The moral? Always let your opponent throw the game. There's nothing more frustrating than sitting there staring at your board and knowing that you're dead, but there's also nothing more awesome than that second when you realize that your opponent gave you the win because he wanted a superfluous goat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Mindclaw Shaman is the kind of fun card that makes me want to keep beating my head against the wall trying to make a Heartless Summoning deck that actually works.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

Mindclaw Shaman is the kind of fun card that makes me want to keep beating my head against the wall trying to make a Heartless Summoning deck that actually works.

I feel the exact same way. I just want him to get the treatment that falkenrath noble got to become blood artist.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Although if you were playing against a guy with a Trading Post in his deck, you're probably going to do OK anyway.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I feel the exact same way. I just want him to get the treatment that falkenrath noble got to become blood artist.

I just wish Stolen Goods had had the Mindclaw effect. And been a red card.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd love to see a Mindclaw Shaman variant mixed with the Augur of Bolas ability.

Also it should cost two, have Flash and have gently caress Delver for flavor text.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I'm going to be doing some M13 8-4's tonight. You should watch me maybe do okay.

http://www.livestream.com/ChewyLSB

quote:

The moral? Always let your opponent throw the game. There's nothing more frustrating than sitting there staring at your board and knowing that you're dead, but there's also nothing more awesome than that second when you realize that your opponent gave you the win because he wanted a superfluous goat.

Man is this true. My round one opponent during this draft had me dead on the board, and instead of murdering my only flying blocker he murdered my chronomaton, and then instead of not letting me block his 8/9 vampire nighthawk he let me block with War Falcon and then cowered in fear after blockers before damage! And then I had lethal on the board which I didn't even notice until he conceded to me.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 23, 2012

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

In "things worth watching" news, LSV pilots a mill deck with no Jace or Sands in his new draft video. But he's LSV and don't try this at home.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

weekly font posted:

In "things worth watching" news, LSV pilots a mill deck with no Jace or Sands in his new draft video. But he's LSV and don't try this at home.

I just watched it, and it's pretty amazing. LSV is just fun to watch, because he tries crazy poo poo (that works most of the time) and even if it all goes pear shaped, he still seems like he's enjoying himself.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm playing in the 4 round Sealed on MODO right now. M1G1 I had the guy dead on board. Then he plays a Trading Post and discards a Stormtide Leviathan to gain 4 life and live another turn. His next turn he casts Rise From the Grave on his Leviathan. I was definitely not expecting that. I eventually top decked some poo poo and won, but that was seriously the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Sealed owns, Trading Post owns, Magic owns.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Just so you guys know, Sam Black is drafting with Jackie Lee on his stream! He just went over her draft deck from yesterday and it was super informative.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rinski posted:

Just so you guys know, Sam Black is drafting with Jackie Lee on his stream! He just went over her draft deck from yesterday and it was super informative.

I'm just reiterating this because it was so good, and now they're doing a live draft together. Seriously, why are you reading this? Just go watch the stream!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

camoseven posted:

Trading Post owns.

It really does. I'm facing down a Thundermaw Hellkite and am at 10 life with an otherwise stalled board. I cast the post, and start discarding junk each turn for four turns at which point I draw Switcheroo, make a goat and my opponent rather unhappy.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

My stream froze when I went to get a drink and I came back to this.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

That is excellent.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
If someone could help me improve my streaming skills, it seems that if I say one thing that thing is constantly echoed (even if I am wearing headphones?)

also the lag between my actions and the stream seem pretty bad as well.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

an skeleton posted:

If someone could help me improve my streaming skills, it seems that if I say one thing that thing is constantly echoed (even if I am wearing headphones?)

also the lag between my actions and the stream seem pretty bad as well.

If I had to guess, your streaming program is taking the audio directly from what your computer is outputting, and you've got a page to your own stream open while you're doing this.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I ended up going 3-1 in the sealed. I lost in game 3 of the final match, but we split so I guess I'm ok with that. Not like I'm gonna do anything with the QPs anyway haha. Here's my pool:

And here's how I ended up building:

http://i.imgur.com/IpGy1l.jpg

My thoughts:

The Red was totally unplayable, and the Black was only barely better. I thought about green, but decided to go W/U for the flying beats. It turned out to be pretty good. People tend to overvalue slow, durdly cards in Sealed, and this deck punished the hell out of anyone with a slow draw. I won the first three G1s, and would then board out the 2 Downpours and Safe Passage for Planar Cleansing and 2 Essence Scatter. One match I played against Chronamaton, Staff of Nin, and some Enchantments, so I boarded out all the Blue and switched to W/g in order to play the Naturalizes. Match 4 was pretty close. G1 he beat me by a turn, and G2 I blew him out. We decided to split after that, but it was still disappointing to lose to Volcanic Geyser in G3. Final thoughts: Odric is amazing. Even if you don't get to use his ability, a 3/4 first striker is pretty legit. Staff of Nin can also take over games pretty easily. I've 3-0ed with it in draft, and while it's not necessarily better in sealed, I was always happy to cast it. Planar Cleansing into Staff of Nin is basically unbeatable.

E: I would hope it is implied, but any thoughts or build suggestions are appreciated. I play more Draft than anything else, but I think Sealed is my favorite format. I'm pretty stoked that GP Philly and all the Fall PTQs are gonna be Sealed!

camoseven fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 23, 2012

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I wish Paul Cheon would make more draft videos for CFB. He's so chill and actually seems good for the most part as well.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Just wanted to link a post over in the culture thread for all you fine people who watch OM and me stream (in case you don't follow it). You're all awesome.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Speaking of Mindclaw Shaman...

Granted, I think Talrand had this one already.

Edit: Misplayed pretty hard on final G3 though. Opponent at 2, I have four 2/2 fliers tapped, Archaeomancer and Arms Dealer. I'm at 9, opponent attacks with his guys (3/3 hexproof and 2/2). I don't count that he might have double Titanic Growth at all and only block the hexproof guy with Arms Dealer, planning to sac the goblin to kill the 2/2. He has, and 10/10 gets through. Deserved loss.

Edit: Opponent did on purpose gg and start deck chat to distract, but that's a sorry excuse. He hadn't conceded yet, so I shouldn't have assumed he had and just should have thinked the board through as if he hadn't said anything.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 23, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Haha, that is sick. I really can't irriterate how much I hate being on the receiving end of a successful Mindclaw Shaman, goddamn.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

So, I did a draft, and I want to see what everyone thinks:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3dctv

My thoughts (spoiled to not color perceptions):

I didn't feel great about this one. I was leaning towards green heavily, but then changed in P2 to G/B splashing R. In the end it wasn't a bad choice and I went 3-0, but they weren't really solid victories. I'm especially unsure of P2P1, Murder was probably way better than Nefarox (or maybe the 2nd flames), but I love that dude. My favorite play was having Flinthoof Boar, no mountains and a Flames in my hand, then drawing the mountain to pump the boar and cast the flames to win.

It went 3-0, one of my few 8-4 wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every time I cast Mindclaw Shaman, the only instant or sorcery in my opponent's hand is Divine Verdict.