Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
THE REAL :darksouls: STARTS HERE

(All credit to the wonderful gif talents of Heti.)

:siren: Dark Souls Connection Fix. This forces a P2P tunnel to all the people on your GFWL friends list to make cooping with them an absolute breeze.

:steam: Steam Group

General Dark Souls Info

What is Dark Souls?

Dark Souls is the spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls, From Software's critically acclaimed and infamously difficult Action RPG. Published by Namco Bandai, Dark Souls maintains the visual, audio and gameplay style of Demon's Souls with an entirely new story and setting.

What's So Special About Dark Souls?

The difficulty is a major selling point for the Souls series, harkening back to the yesteryear of games that make you fight for that Game Complete screen. Monsters will frequently come from hidden or obscured positions to ambush and kill you. Bosses will one-shot an unprepared character. Despite the sometimes crushing difficulty of the games, with a few notable exceptions, every difficulty can be overcome with caution, common sense and a bit of memorization. Learning how Dark Souls likes to kill you is part of the experience, and the feeling of overcoming something in moments that once gave you trouble has garnered a large following.

The combat in Dark Souls is a very methodical, rhythm-based affair. Blocking, parrying and riposting and dodging all play a part. Many larger enemies have combos or special attacks that you must block or dodge in order to not be flung across the room or left on your back. There will come a day when you can beat most mobs with your eyes closed, but it will be a long time coming.

Dark Souls makes a number of modifications to your normal RPG structure. Checkpoints will respawn most of the mobs in a given area. Stamina is used for blocking, rolling, running and attacking, and managing your stamina is a major part of gameplay. Enemies in certain areas of the game can do everything the player can in combat.

A staggering variety of weapons and armor are available for your use. You can upgrade many of the things in the world, and almost all of the weapons are viable for combat. If you can think of a build with a specific set of weapons and armor chances are it'll get you through the whole game. Hammers, greatswords, polearms, katanas and more await the flesh (or not-quite-flesh) of the myriad enemies you find.

Another large factor in the popularity of the Souls games are their unique multiplayer elements. Players use signs created with various items in the game to interact with other players in coop and PvP in various forms. You will also be able to see how many players died in certain areas, read warnings and hints from other people and even see some people as ghosts walking around your world.

There are a few changes from Demon’s Souls you should be aware of, if you’re coming straight from the first game.

Bonfires have replaced the Nexus as safe havens where players can rest. Littered throughout the game world, these bonfires act as checkpoints where players restore their health, refill their Estus Flasks, restock and exchange their magic, and level up their stats.

Players will be able to buy items that will allow them to repair their weapons and stock their items at bonfires. If there are other players resting at the bonfire you're resting at, you'll be able to see them sitting around it.

Estus Flasks are the main health restoring item in the game. There are a handful of other items that can restore health, but Estus Flasks are used faster and can be refilled every time you visit a bonfire. Estus Flasks can also be upgraded to restore more health per-use.

There's no longer Item Burden in the game, you can carry everything you pick up indefinitely regardless of weight. Of course, this means your inventory will eventually become packed with items you have to sort through. You'll be able to purchase a chest to store items in and eventually you'll find an NPC that will take weapons and armor in exchange for a small amount of souls.

World Tendency no longer exists. The world of Dark Souls simply is, and all areas are connected in some way.

I'm still not sure... What are the reviews like?

The Reviews posted:

Dengeki - 90/90/95/95 (compare to Demon's Souls - 85/85/95/85)
Famitsu - 9/9/9/10 (compare to Demon's Souls - 7/9/6/7)
IGN - 9.0 (compare to Demon's Souls 9.4)
Eurogamer - 9 (compare to Demon's Souls - 9)
Metacritic - 89 (compare to Demon's Souls - 89)

Useful Links
The Official Website
The Wikidot Wiki Typically more extensive.
The Wikispaces Wiki
A Variety of Calculators for Weapons, Stats, Elements and Armor
Equipment Upgrade Paths

:siren:A Fantastic Informative LP of the First Souls Game by Squint

FAQ: Just Starting Out

Q: What character class should I play?

A: While any class is viable, it’s recommended that you avoid Deprived until you’re more familiar with the game mechanics. A good starting place is either Knight or Pyromancer, both allowing for generous stat customization and easy early playstyles. Note that as you progress in the game your class becomes less important: any character class can end up with any build at all: Knights can use Sorcery, Thieves can wear heavy armor, and Clerics can throw fireballs. Also all of the beginning armor and weapons from all of the classes can be found or bought later in the game. Pick whichever one looks coolest to you. Note that you are going to look like beef jerky as soon as you start the game so don’t get all depressed when you spend 45 minutes tweaking your nasolabial folds.

Q: What's this about starting gifts?

A: The starting gifts are little bonuses you get. Only one is really useful, but any of them are viable. Pick whichever one you think looks coolest!

Q: OK I died and my precious 350 souls are gone, it took me six hours to get that many! Plus now I am undead again! gently caress this game, I’m going back to roguelikes.

A: Dying is a setback and learning experience! You scrub! Also our benevolent Japanese overlords at From Software predicted your lazy Westernized approach to videogames and made it so that if you can get back to the scene of your shameful death, you can touch your bloodstain and gain back your souls and liquid humanity. Be careful, though: if you die again on your way back to your bloodstain, those souls and humanity are gone forever.

Q: How does leveling work?

A: Souls are the currency, levels and lifeblood of Dark Souls. To level up you require a certain amount of souls, based on what level you’re advancing to and what stat you’re advancing with. Each time you advance a stat you gain a Soul Level. Therefore as you gain souls, you have to decide between buying gear and upgrading your stats.

Q: What is this humanity?

A: Humanity is used to Unhollow your character, giving you access to many of the more advanced multiplayer components of Dark Souls. Humanity can also be used to Kindle bonfires, allowing your Estus Flask to gain more charges when you rest at a Kindled fire.

Being in Human form allows you to participate (voluntarily or not) in multiplayer, both PvP and co-op. You will NOT be able to see any co-op signs if you are hollow!

There are two different types of Humanity: hard and soft (or liquid, as it is sometimes known). Hard humanity is what you will find as loot in certain areas or after defeating a boss. It will become an item in your inventory and will have no effect on gameplay unless you use it. Using a hard humanity will increase your liquid humanity (displayed at the top right of your screen) by 1. The number of liquid humanity that you currently hold affects certain aspects of gameplay and can be used to Kindle bonfires, among other things.

Q: What is all this stuff on my screen(HUD)?

A: Your health and stamina bars inhabit the top left side of your screen, along with your liquid humanity counter. The bottom left of your screen contains your items wheel. Your left and right hand, magic and consumables all are swapped between whatever you have equipped from this wheel. The number at the bottom right is your current souls count.

FAQ: Online Features

Q: Oh poo poo, I got invaded! What do I do?

A: Hope your invader isn’t a real jerk. This being unlikely however, your options depend on the type of invasion. Some invasion methods allow you to challenge the boss, banishing the invader back to their own world. If that’s off the table, go gloriously to your death (or victory!) and make your way back to your bloodstain. Note that your invader will not be hurt by the monsters in your world, so be cautious!

Q: What are the different covenants?

A: As of this writing there are nine covenants with a rumored tenth covenant in the Prepare to Die edition. Each covenant can be joined through one NPC. Joining another covenant while you are already bound to another can put a “black mark” on your “record” and the “Honor Police” might come to “write you” a “ticket”. There is a guy who will help you fill out all the proper paperwork to leave a covenant without incurring this penalty, so use him! Note that Clerics and Knights both start off in the Way of the White.

Q: How do I summon people?

A: Soapstone! Red soapstone will summon hostile phantoms for PvP (up to three at a time). White soapstone will summon people for jolly cooperation and assistance with bosses. White and red soapstone are gained at different points in the game, you do not start with them.

If you see a white or gold summoning sign on the ground, touching it might make a friendly player join your game. If you see a red or blackish-grey sign on the ground, touching it will summon a PvP opponent. If you see a big pulsing eyeball on the ground, touch it for fun and see what it does!

Q: What are these messages that I can read everywhere? Can I make one?

A: Those are messages left by other players that can warn you about dangers or tip you off to hidden items or areas. Keep in mind that you are playing a game on the internet, and it might not always be wise to trust the messages. You can leave your own messages with orange soapstone, which can be bought from the first merchant you (should) encounter.

Q: I can’t find anyone for coop!

A: (Thank you to MoonwalkInvincible for this oft asked for answer.)
In general, these levels, with about 10-15 levels difference will get you consistant summons for the bosses of these areas.

In a more mechanical sense, GFWL w/ Dark Souls uses a P2P system. Your best bet for multiplayer in Dark Souls is to load the save you want to play and leave Dark Souls running at a bonfire for 15-20 minutes, or do something else in game.

FAQ: Advanced Survival Tactics

Q: What can I do at a bonfire?

A: What can I do at a bonfire?
At the bonfire you can;
- Level up
- Unhollow
- Kindle the bonfire you’re at
- Manage your inventory
- Repair and upgrade equipment (once you have certain items that can be gained fairly early on)

An additional bonfire function is gated by late game progress, but is extremely helpful!

Q: My weapons suck! How can I upgrade them?

A: Find or buy titanite and give it to a blacksmith! There are
Titanite Shards: Used in lower-level upgrades of regular weapons and armor
Titanite Chunks: Used in higher-level upgrades of regular weapons and armor and lightning weapons.
Titanite Slabs: Exceedingly rare (like one or two per playthrough, so don’t waste them), one of these will upgrade your weapon or shield to the highest level in the Normal or Lightning path (or Raw or Crystal but seriously don’t do that).

There exist titanite shards, chunks and slabs in different colors, too! Just in case you were wondering if this could get any more complicated! Also twinkling titanite, demon titanite, and dragon scales can be used to upgrade weapons, armor, and shields.

Note: the ONLY titanite upgrade materials that can be purchased from vendors in the game are Titanite Shards, Green Titanite Shards, and Twinkling Titanite, so spend them ducats wisely!

Q: Cool I found this friendly dude in a barrel, if I just swing my Zweihander super carefully I’m sure he won’t aggro on me!

A: Jump and football!

Q: Hey I wish I read this FAQ before hitting that chill barrel bro, but now he is trying to kill me! What do I do?

A: Try rolling instead!

Q: Oh poo poo I got toxic!

A: Keep that shield up next time! Also you might want to invest in moss.

Q: Oh poo poo I got cursed!

A: You are hosed! There is a guy that sells a cure, but he’s in the overworld (you’ve already met him by this time). You are going to hate having to haul your rear end back there, so maybe invest in a few cures and save a return trip, hmm?

Q: Some asshead skeleton with a curvy sword hit me and it made a gooshing sound and like 50% of my health meter is gone!

A: That’s bleed, some weapons inflict Bleed status. When you get hit, a little bar will fill up. Once it fills, you’ll take a huge amount of damage.

Q: I found something called an ember, what does it do?

A: Give it to a blacksmith for a permanent (until NG+) bonus! Each ember can only go to one particular smith, and the others will reject your thoughtless gift, so don’t worry.

Q: I'm in a graveyard and this skeleton just carved my face off, this game is bullshit FROM Software!

A: You probably went the wrong way from the Firelink Shrine. While it's true that you can go almost anywhere right from the beginning of the game, most areas will chew up and spit out a new player like so much gum. When you run out of gum(ption), look for the stairs up from the Shrine.

Q: How do I cast spells?

A: For sorceries you must have a catalyst active in either hand and an applicable spell in the top of the item window. It will be highlighted when you can use the spell by pressing the attack button that corresponds with the hand you hold the catalyst in. Pyromancies require a Pyromancy Flame, which must also be equipped. Miracles require a Talisman. Certain classes start the game with these items, but anyone can acquire them through normal play.

Q: How do I zoom in with a bow?

A: First use the bow with two hands, then press Left Bumper to zoom in and look around.

FAQ: Advanced Game Mechanics

Q: What is the best build for (PvP, PvE, looking boss)

A: For your first playthrough, just go with whatever feels natural and looks cool. We have players in the other thread that have beaten the game at level 1 with no shield and only using fist weapons. Literally any build is viable for PvE. PvP is a whole other kettle of fish, but don’t worry about that for now!

Q: What is poise?

A: Poise is what you get by wearing heavy armor and it allows you to resist stunlock. Poise is extremely important for PvP and not so important for PvE. The higher the number the better, but there is no need to obsess over it on your first playthrough. If you are an absolute sperglord statwhore and need to know NOW, then good Poise breakpoints to shoot for are 53 or 76.

Q: What is shield stability?

A: Shield stability is a very important stat for both PvE and PvP. It represents the percentage of damage that the shield will absorb; the rest gets transferred to Stamina or Health. The higher the number, the better!

Q: How does weapon scaling work?

A: Each weapon scales in effectiveness with one or more stats. The scaling modifiers are (from best to worst): S, A, B, C, D, and E. The better the modifier, the higher bonus damage you get. Upgrading certain weapons can better the scaling modifier.

Q: What is up with all of these upgrade paths? What do I spend all of my precious shards on?

A: Elemental weapons (Fire and Lightning) LOSE stat scaling but add significant elemental damage. Magic and Enchanted weapons will change to scale heavily to INT. Divine and Occult weapons will change to scale heavily into FTH. Chaos weapons will gain some Fire damage and additional damage based on your liquid humanity (the number in the black circle at the top left of your HUD). Crystal and Raw weapons will increase your noob status and make it more likely for experienced players to taunt you.

Q: I found a Dragon Scale!

A: Cool! Those can be used to upgrade certain rare weapons and for leveling up in a specific covenant. They are hard to get, hold onto them.

Q: I found an Eye of Death!

A: These are very handy for our poor, oft abused Gravelord friends. They are only used for PvP purposes in the Gravelord Servant covenant. That covenant is a broken piece of poo poo and the eyes are hard to come by. Trade them for TF2 hats and Magic: The Gathering rares.

Q: Some jerk just invaded me and made fun of me! He had this really cool shrug and I want that shrug.

A: This is the Dark Souls gesture system. You start off with several of these, accessible by a menu wherein you can set your favorite gestures for easy access. You can learn more from NPCs, though a few are locked behind covenant ranks. Praise the Sun!

Q: Heheh PvP is easy, I just kicked the rear end of some guy named Dark Knight Kirk!!! Oh man wait till you hear how much of a badass I am guys.

A: :allears:

:pcgaming:Dark Souls PC Modding and Fixes

Essential

Dark Souls Fix
Fixes the internal resolution (blurriness), allows you to hide your cursor, enable DoF, SSAO and a variety of other things. An absolute must-have to make sure this isn't just a terrible port.

:siren: TURN OFF IN-GAME ANTI-ALIASING IF YOU ARE USING DSFIX :siren:

XBox 360 Controller Emulator
It's highly recommend that you play Dark Souls, even as a port, with a gamepad or console controller. A wired or wireless XBox controller will offer the easiest compatability, but if you have a Logitech or various other gamepads, this will allow them to work flawlessly. That said, if you must use a mouse...

Dark Souls Mouse Fix
Combine it with DSFix and I'm told (but cannot personally confirm) that most of your mouse troubles will up and vanish.

Gibbed's Logo Skip Fix
http://mod.gib.me/darksouls/pc/nologo-steam20.zip
No pause like the DSFix version.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Texture Replacement Repository

Instructions:

DSFix 1.2 or later, make sure that using new textures is enabled in the .ini.

Place any texture replacer into \DATA\dsfix\tex_override\

Shima Honnou's UI rexture
DSFix: e3e2582d.png

Version with less contrast, same name.

Original Engrish Game Announcements (Ripped by Gibbed)
Magic Revived DSFix: 8be12045.png
You Defeated DSFix: 3abef6fc.png.

PS3 Menus
DSFix: 43a2b23a.png.

PS3 Prompts/Fonts
DSFix: 40fbc4ad.png

:siren: It goes without saying that anything below this point in this post is a DLC spoiler. May also contain partial base game spoilers.

Entering the DLC

1. Kill the Hydra in Darkroot Basin and rescue Dusk of Oolacile.
2. Kill Ornstein and Smough and get the Lordvessel.
3. Got to the Duke's Archives and kill the new Crystal Golem in the room right after the first bonfire.
4. Return to Darkroot Basin and go back where you found Dusk. There should be a portal that you then will get pulled into.

FAQ: Just Starting Out

Q: What character class should I play?

Warrior, because it's at the top of the list.

Q: What's this about starting gifts?

A: gently caress this place is so scary!

Q: OK I died and my precious 350 souls are gone, it took me six hours to get that many! Plus now I am undead again! gently caress this game, I’m going back to roguelikes.

A: Fuckin ruuuun, Charlie Murphy!

Q: How does leveling work?

A: Level Resistance.

Q: What is this humanity?

A: Oh man, that is loving gross, you should get it looked at.

Q: What is all this stuff on my screen(HUD)?

A: Where you're going, you don't need roads.

FAQ: Online Features

Q: Oh poo poo, I got invaded! What do I do?

A: That guy is actually several hundred thousands years old, run like hell Charlie Murphy.

Q: What are the different covenants?

A: Talk about a troll!

Q: How do I summon people?

A: You eat flesh, which makes you undead, so you can summon scumbag snakes.

Q: What are these messages that I can read everywhere? Can I make one?

A: The game is just trolling you, the universe is collapsed and you are alone.

Q: I can’t find anyone for coop!

A: Get that fuckin' soul 'ey!

FAQ: Advanced Survival Tactics

Q: What can I do at a bonfire?

A: Get dicked on.

Q: My weapons suck! How can I upgrade them?

A: Get a zwolhander and change it to a raw halbred.

Q: Cool I found this friendly dude in a barrel, if I just swing my Zweihander super carefully I’m sure he won’t aggro on me!

A: Jump and football!

Q: Hey I wish I read this FAQ before hitting that chill barrel bro, but now he is trying to kill me! What do I do?

A: You learned real good!

Q: Oh poo poo I got toxic!

A: Get dunked!

Q: Oh poo poo I got cursed!

A: Your soul, it hurts!

Q: Some asshead skeleton with a curvy sword hit me and it made a gooshing sound and like 50% of my health meter is gone!

A: Man mode activated!

Q: I found something called an ember, what does it do?

A: Eat it!

Q: I'm in a graveyard and this skeleton just carved my face off, this game is bullshit FROM Software!

A: He's superman mode, don't worry about it bro!

Q: How do I cast spells?

A: Please, you're too strong for spells!

Q: How do I zoom in with a bow?

A: This is exactly why you loving hate lock-on.

FAQ: Advanced Game Mechanics

Q: What is the best build for (PvP, PvE, looking boss)

A: Whatever you meant to do that.

Q: What is poise?

A: Your Man-Mode rank.

Q: What is shield stability?

A: You don't like blocking, do you? Activate man-mode.

Q: How does weapon scaling work?

A: It's like how many zwolhanders you put in it.

Q: What is up with all of these upgrade paths? What do I spend all of my precious shards on?

A: loving chair's OP.

Q: I found a Dragon Scale!

A: Fuckin' expensive bro.

Q: I found an Eye of Death!

A: That's fuckin' awesome!

Q: Some jerk just invaded me and made fun of me! He had this really cool shrug and I want that shrug.

A: Kill everyone you meet, they drop gestures.

Q: Heheh PvP is easy, I just kicked the rear end of some guy named Dark Knight Kirk!!! Oh man wait till you hear how much of a badass I am guys.

A: :allears:

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 26, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Guddamn this looks better'n I thought!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm so hype to peel some potatoes

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm not averse to buying this version rather than waiting for the DLC for the PS3, I just need to know about performance and stability. The problem is that From isn't even really very good at programming for console platforms, and as far as I know this is their first PC game ever.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not averse to buying this version rather than waiting for the DLC for the PS3, I just need to know about performance and stability. The problem is that From isn't even really very good at programming for console platforms, and as far as I know this is their first PC game ever.

they did the King's Field games too, have some FAITH (get it??!?!!)

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah there are games from studios with a history of developing for PC that ship with tons of problems (Rage, for example), so it'll definitely be worth waiting to buy Dark Souls until reports come out. The GFWL, the low resolution, and the 30 FPS limit are all things we know about, but who knows what other problems will crop up once people start playing it on computers that aren't exact copies of the ones the developer was able to test it on.

I mean, poo poo, the download for it will be small and all you have to do is wait a couple hours after release to find out if there's something like "It flat-out doesn't work with ATI cards" going on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SixtySix posted:

they did the King's Field games too, have some FAITH (get it??!?!!)
There's King's Field game on the PC?

edit: Just so we're all on the same page, Dark Souls is one of my top five games ever. I've put over 150 hours in it (probably trailing only behind Super Robot Wars Alpha 3, though that doesn't track time played), and I bet I am dwarfed by many people in the old thread.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Note, apparently the game is being released 7pm EST on August 23rd worldwide. That's tomorrow, not Friday! There seems to have been some weird misinformation. The steam page has changed to reflect a new release date, and people from GMG also confirm that's the actual time of release. So prepare to die tomorrow, not Friday, I guess!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That is a hell of an OP. If any game needs it though, it's Dark Souls. One arcane and obtuse bastard of a game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Note, apparently the game is being released 7pm EST on August 23rd worldwide. That's tomorrow, not Friday! There seems to have been some weird misinformation. The steam page has changed to reflect a new release date, and people from GMG also confirm that's the actual time of release. So prepare to die tomorrow, not Friday, I guess!

I even knew this and didn't update it. :smith: Thanks for reminding me.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I'm guess you will pretty much have to play this with a gamepad. I can't see keyboard controls being very intuitive.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's King's Field game on the PC?

edit: Just so we're all on the same page, Dark Souls is one of my top five games ever.

kind of!

Wikipedia posted:

Sword of Moonlight: King's Field Making Tool is a King's Field designing tool for the Microsoft Windows platform which was released in Japan. It lets the user construct free-standing King's Field games which may be played independently, without having Sword of Moonlight installed. It also contains a full remake of the first King’s Field game originally released on the PlayStation.[5] A fan made a full English translation available as a patch.[4]

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sanzuo posted:

I'm guess you will pretty much have to play this with a gamepad. I can't see keyboard controls being very intuitive.

I'm going to make my best attempt at making M&K work well and report back with my findings. Chances are good it'll be a mess though.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Vertigus posted:

Yeah there are games from studios with a history of developing for PC that ship with tons of problems (Rage, for example), so it'll definitely be worth waiting to buy Dark Souls until reports come out. The GFWL, the low resolution, and the 30 FPS limit are all things we know about, but who knows what other problems will crop up once people start playing it on computers that aren't exact copies of the ones the developer was able to test it on.

I mean, poo poo, the download for it will be small and all you have to do is wait a couple hours after release to find out if there's something like "It flat-out doesn't work with ATI cards" going on.

Most of the previews mention that the game runs fine, so I wouldn't be too worried about that stuff.

But if you're worried I'd wait for the trip report. I don't mind spending $40 to test the game. :v:

Sanzuo posted:

Sounds like a challenge to me. :black101:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Meowjesty posted:

Most of the previews mention that the game runs fine, so I wouldn't be too worried about that stuff.

Those previews all came from people watching the game on a demonstration PC.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Great OP, but man even if it's for the wrong version of the game there's not enough Bartholomew trailer in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I think you should take out the part about warping at bonfires or at least put it in spoiler text. It's not available for a while and it's a really nice reveal that I, at least, would have been sad to get spoiled.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The worst submarine posted:

I think you should take out the part about warping at bonfires or at least put it in spoiler text. It's not available for a while and it's a really nice reveal that I, at least, would have been sad to get spoiled.

Oh, yeah, modified that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can't wait to play this tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm trying to finish Demon Souls. Don't think I will beat it before Dark Souls unlock tomorrow, but at least I can try. But one thing, do they still have the world tendency, or you shouldn't worry too much about hollowing if you know there isn't coming up that will gently caress you over?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Orv posted:

I even knew this and didn't update it. :smith: Thanks for reminding me.

However, I have heard that GFWL won't be unlocked for use until sometime on the 24th, so even though Dark Souls comes out in less than 20 hours now, it may not actually be playable for 24 or more from now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sanzuo posted:

Much like a lot of modern console ports, you'd be silly not to.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rirse posted:

Can't wait to play this tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm trying to finish Demon Souls. Don't think I will beat it before Dark Souls unlock tomorrow, but at least I can try. But one thing, do they still have the world tendency, or you shouldn't worry too much about hollowing if you know there isn't coming up that will gently caress you over?

World tendency is kaput, and I've updated the Changes section to reflect this.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Really hyped to get a chance to defeat the dastardly shadow dwarves.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Rirse posted:

Never worry about unhollowing.:unsmigghh:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Rirse posted:

There is no world tendency at all in Dark Souls. Hollowing and unhollowing work using a completely different system.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Space Bat posted:

Really hyped to get a chance to defeat the dastardly shadow dwarves.

I'm gonna create social links and collect eggs!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
this might sound odd but i am hoping I hate GW2 so I can play this instead on PC. I bought the PS3 version a couple weeks ago but haven't even got around to it yet, too many games lately. But I loving love Demon Souls (originally bought my PS3 for it, then when my PS3 got stolen, I ended up buying a second PS3 just for it).

I'll wait to hear some first hand reports before deciding if I'll just pick it up for PC instead, my system is pretty beefy but I keep hearing mixed reviews on performance and I already spent $30 on the PS3 version.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What I need to know is how CPU dependent it is, that's the bottleneck on my laptop.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sanzuo posted:

It's really just going to depend on how good the default control setup is/how customizable they made it. I've never played Dark Souls, but I did play a decent amount of Demon's Souls and I actually don't see any reason it wouldn't work fine with a mouse and keyboard.

Edit- I'm thinking about buying this and if I do I'm probably going to at least give it a shot with a M&KB before falling back on my gamepad.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 23, 2012

This is Not Alf XXX
Jul 12, 2004
Does Dark Souls use the same LUA scripting as Demon Souls?

If so how modifiable does this make the game? It was an Unreal Engine game right?

MrEltee
Jun 11, 2011

"President Reagan!
Gorbachev has actually...
registered Hypercam 2!!"
I've heard it's actually quite playable with key&mouse, also judging from those Gamescom videos it seems pretty fine.

But man, I sold my PS3 copy while waiting for this so I don't have duplicates.. I can't believe I'm super pumped to get a game I've had for a year and played like a million hours of!

That said, even through alot of college insanity, I'll be playing a shitton of this and dickin' out in the pvp arena.. :)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

This is Not Alf XXX posted:

It was an Unreal Engine game right?

Not even close. If it was we'd have had this port a long time ago.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think it's the From mystery engine that is held together with toothpicks and bubble gum inside.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Paradoxish posted:

It's really just going to depend on how good the default control setup is/how customizable they made it. I've never played Dark Souls, but I did play a decent amount of Demon's Souls and I actually don't see any reason it wouldn't work fine with a mouse and keyboard.

Pages 6 & 7

The defaults are okay, I guess. At least they aren't horrendous. I believe they've also stated there would be full key customization.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Great OP, but man even if it's for the wrong version of the game there's not enough Bartholomew trailer in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA

I really dislike this trailer. It's edited like an amateur music montage video and it doesn't showcase why the game is actually interesting in any way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I really dislike this trailer. The music is okay but the trailer is edited like an amateur music montage video and it doesn't showcase why the game is actually interesting in any way.
The problem is that the things that are best about the game are slow. In a sense it's a very relaxing game. You know that the game means for you to take your time, and die as many times as you need to to learn the environment.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

I really dislike this trailer. The music is okay but the trailer is edited like an amateur music montage video and it doesn't showcase why the game is actually interesting in any way.

To be fair, none of the trailers for the game did anything like that. They were all quick cuts of the player dying and/or two second clips of bosses/enemies.

I just like the Bartholomew trailer because it's :black101: as gently caress.

MrEltee
Jun 11, 2011

"President Reagan!
Gorbachev has actually...
registered Hypercam 2!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNpLhv21BS0

This trailer is better at showing off the game. Both songs are from the same band and are amazing.

Dark Souls is the only reason I've even gotten into The Silent Comedy and their music, and I'm gonna see them live for the second time in September...

Oh, videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

quote:

LOW FPS FEATURE
To prevent latency issues and frequent disconnections, there is a
low FPS feature implemented where if your FPS drops below 15
for 30 seconds, your game will automatically be disconnected
from the online session and will return to the title screen. To avoid
this, please refer to the minimum/recommended specifications
to have a better configuration.

Oh geez, the framerate issues had better be fixed.

• Locked thread