Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
i have that size but you'll have to drive two hours to get it

I picked it up for about $15 at NAPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I had to tap out a couple threads on my 1st gen 4Runner and I vaguely remember having the same issue. However, I'm almost positive that the NPT die was the proper size for whatever reason.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Thinking of you today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPk3D_VY9kA

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Thats nothing, I just bought a $900 Maxima that i found out had some rust damage to the frame. I can kick the bumper and it just rains sweet iron oxide. The front engine brace/radiator support is completely rusted through and when my mechanic tried lifting the car by the main beam running under the engine, it started to very loudly crack. As of now im driving very carefully since my front engine mount has nearly zero support. Will be welding braces on it when my buddy comes back from his trip. Ill have plenty of sweet rusty pictures then.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
rear end end backed in the air.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sockington posted:

Face down, rear end up, that's the way Sock likes to,... work on cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeyTsi posted:

drat it, I had this typed out and decided no to post it because I thought it was too stupid.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
So, it begins...:clint:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got the old exhaust off to find my mid pipe a couple inches too short in comparison to the old one.

Prying the old poo poo off.

Gasket cleaned.

Donut installed.

Paint was quick to flake off the muffler section, but the welds are still covered up. Not really concerned either way.

Now I just have to sort out the tow wiring and I can finally move poo poo around easier. :dance:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
There should be a plug in the trunk for tow wiring.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sockington posted:

Got the old exhaust off to find my mid pipe a couple inches too short in comparison to the old one.

There would be an ex-husband joke in there if it applied.

Sockington posted:

Now I just have to sort out the tow wiring and I can finally move poo poo around easier. :dance:

:dance:

E:

MikeyTsi posted:

Sockington posted:

daslog posted:

There should be a plug in the trunk

*snicker*

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 11, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

daslog posted:

There should be a plug in the trunk for tow wiring.

Where? I didn't see anything on a quick inspection.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Mine was between the taillights, neatly folded against the wiring harness. When you take out the spare tire, do you see a large rubber grommet that's about 2" in diameter? The kit from the dealer plugs into the wiring harness and comes with a new grommet that you use to pass the 4 way flat connector underneath the car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

Where? I didn't see anything on a quick inspection.

Do you still have access to the blue bug eye? I bought a trailer wiring harness for it and its just sitting in the spare tire well all hooked up. Should work on the new Subaru unless they've changed anything.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

8ender posted:

Do you still have access to the blue bug eye? I bought a trailer wiring harness for it and its just sitting in the spare tire well all hooked up. Should work on the new Subaru unless they've changed anything.

I don't know if I would trust that. You probably never changed the wiring harness oil.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Kid number two arrives tomorrow. This weekend probably won't have a lot of time spent in the garage.

I really need to do the engine and tranny mounts on the wagon. When I shake my exhaust midpipe, the transmission shakes on the mounts. 8ender also noted excessive engine movement when I was starting the car.

Will a full set of Group-N (trans, pitch, and both engine mounts) from Subaru Genuine destroy the daily-ness of the car? I don't want a ton of noise to be introduced as it currently had excellent highway manners.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Sockington posted:

Kid number two arrives tomorrow. This weekend probably won't have a lot of time spent in the garage.

New AI subtitle

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sockington posted:

FeO2?

Edit : Whoever did the title, if it was malicous it backfied. It's BRILLIANT :D

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sockington posted:

Congrats again, and yeah, it does have a way with screwing with your car time, doesn't it? Number one just showed up unannounced this past weekend for me :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Congratulations to both new AI dads. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Congrats guys and good luck you're gonna need it ;)

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
You and engine mounts, eh Sock? Congrats you guys, the miracle of life is some really awesome stuff :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A little pair of sockingtons!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ah, tis good being single and not worrying about kids or wives

:(

Best of luck for new AI fathers

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Congrats sock :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Thanks guys. :downs:

Everything went smoothly and she'll be home tomorrow.

Holy gently caress do I want to order new transmission and engine mounts. At times it feels like the least enjoyable box of gears possible. Most likely try and convince the wife to let me the do the mounts one weekend and an Extra-S fill the following weekend.

Then the shifter gets swapped out and the car will feel significantly better to row through the gears. Dust boots, bump stops, Group-N rear strut mounts, and an alignment are keeping me from doing my much wanted suspension install.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

^^ This. This is why I love AI.

'Hey all, my wife just had baby #2!. Here's a pic from the hospital, showing the new human being we created, only minutes into life...holy gently caress, I need to do engine and motor moounts. Also, the transmission could use some stuff while I'm in there.'

Congrats, and all the best to you and your growing family (of people, and vehicles, haha).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

daslog posted:

Mine was between the taillights, neatly folded against the wiring harness. When you take out the spare tire, do you see a large rubber grommet that's about 2" in diameter? The kit from the dealer plugs into the wiring harness and comes with a new grommet that you use to pass the 4 way flat connector underneath the car.

Found it, but it was in a different spot on an 06+.

Buried back under the passenger tail light.

My harness didn't come with a grommet, so I may have to just tuck it under the hatch door when in use for now.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
For the longest time the SA bookmark in my phone looked like this;

...then it refreshed the bookmark icon one fateful day and the sexiness was gone forever :smith:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Congrats on the Sockette!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was going to post earlier, but yeah! Congratulations on the new kiddo. :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Get rid of one project, tow home another.

Need to make it about 8" wider and 32" longer so I can bring home building supplies.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Having a trailer is very handy. Before I bought my metal one I had one like that. I wouldn't make it longer, instead make the tailgate slide out. I've brought home 10 foot pieces of pipe by letting it hang over the edge.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Apropos of nothing, this suddenly/randomly turned up on my local CL:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Port Huron is in Michigan and right next door. Chatham-Kent is 30min south of me.

The wife had her sister (and her kids) stop by, so I've got a couple days to myself in the garage when work is done (to get drunk).

Got the wood stripped off last night before getting too loaded.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

before getting too loaded.

Unless you were gonna puke on the trailer, Getting loaded is a non issue... Then again I don't have a "family" or "responsibilities" like you do.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Unless you were gonna puke on the trailer, Getting loaded is a non issue... Then again I don't have a "family" or "responsibilities" like you do.

Nothing wrong with one before bed.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Suspension on a utility trailer?
Canada sure is weird...

I should post the one my neighbor uses to trailer around his $15k (supposedly) Harley.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

mafoose posted:

Canada sure is weird...

I should post the one my neighbor uses to trailer around his $15k (supposedly) Harley.

My old utility trailer has leaf springs, most of them do. Otherwise when you live in the boonies and drive on lovely roads your load would get bounced all over.
Mine died, sadly. It was rusty and while hauling a load of firewood the fram snapped in half and dumped all the firewood in the road. It was quite embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mafoose posted:

Canada sure is weird...

If you look at the center beam, it should give you an idea why it has suspension.

Didn't always used to be a utility trailer. :ssh:

• Locked thread