Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Shalinor posted:

They did a post-mortem on Republique's Kickstarter, which does an excellent job of explaining the weird curve it had. Good read period, for anyone curious about the running of a Kickstarter.

He is 100% wrong though. He has a compelling premise and a unique idea and the polished videos and presentable project are not downfalls, they're pluses and I'm pretty sure having a proof of concept to present was the only reason it got funded at all.

The reason his campaign was slow to start is simply because it was iOS only in the beginning, and the only reason it got funded was because he tacked "also coming to PC" at the end of it. People don't want serious interactive experiences on their cell phone, nobody is gonna sit around in their room or on their couch playing republique on their phone except for a few die hards. I don't understand this guy's consuming desire to burn up the iOS sales charts with his game at the expense of everything else. Release it on PC, put it on Steam, I guarantee you'll make far more money that way. Reading his smug little comments about how iOS comes first and blah blah blah compromise just makes me annoyed that he feels justified with his KS success and thinks it validates how people really want a deep gaming experience on their phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

Given Obsidian's current financial situation, I'm guessing they'd go for something with a little more mass-market appeal. Yes, a PST successor would send a certain part of the RPG gamer demographic into a near-erotic frenzy, but I'm not convinced that many other people would buy it.

It probably wouldn't sell the best, but it would probably have the most successful kickstarter, simply because all the most successful ones are fueled by pure nostalgia. What RPG has more nostalgia surrounding it than PST? If Wasteland 2 can pull in millions, so can a PST successor.

Although you're right, they're probably also looking at how the game can perform after the kickstarter ends.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It probably wouldn't sell the best, but it would probably have the most successful kickstarter, simply because all the most successful ones are fueled by pure nostalgia. What RPG has more nostalgia surrounding it than PST? If Wasteland 2 can pull in millions, so can a PST successor.

Although you're right, they're probably also looking at how the game can perform after the kickstarter ends.

I think they might have a slightly harder time of it than you suggest, since they don't have the rights to the name, characters or setting. I'm not sure they'd even be allowed to describe it as a 'spiritual successor to PST' in the pitch. But yeah, they'd probably at least be able to raise enough funds to develop the game.

I imagine they're looking at something more akin to Dungeon Siege 3 - less ambitious but more profitable.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Planetary Annihilation just added some stretch goals and they are loving AWESOME.

$1,100,000 - Naval units and Water Planets
and
$1,300,000 - Gas Giants and Enhanced Orbital units

I DEMAND YOU GIVE THEM MONEY. ALL IF IT.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Hat Thoughts posted:

More on topic, it looks like Dominique Pamplemousse (the musical adventure/stop motion game) probably isn't gonna make it. It's at 37% with 11 days left so it could swing either way, but I doubt it'll have the appeal to gather enough attention by then, which I think is a bit of a shame. The demo did have some rather clear flaws, but it's an interesting idea and if it laid the ground work properly, you could imagine other/better developers expanding on it.

The developer's really pushing for the last 9 days. I'll be sad if it doesn't make it, as it is a go at something completely different to the majority of games asking for funding.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I have some serious reservations about the Chivalry KS. I played AoC quite a long time ago so maybe my concerns are all bunk but I think fundamentally the FPS focus of these guys will severely hurt the feel of fencing in the game. I like how they say they don't want to implement horses because they want to focus on the actual fighting, but they follow it up with "the highest quality foot-based melee combat because we believe that no commercial product has done this successfully yet" which makes me think they either have really bad ideas about foot-based melee combat or they haven't really researched the problem space.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Jon93 posted:

Planetary Annihilation just added some stretch goals and they are loving AWESOME.

$1,100,000 - Naval units and Water Planets
and
$1,300,000 - Gas Giants and Enhanced Orbital units

I DEMAND YOU GIVE THEM MONEY. ALL IF IT.

drat awesome, raised my pledge !

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The fifth Broken Sword game is getting Kickstarted. Man, I love these games. Even the third one from the awkward early 3D period. Throwing them money.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Megazver posted:

The fifth Broken Sword game is getting Kickstarted. Man, I love these games. Even the third one from the awkward early 3D period. Throwing them money.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure
Sigh, Everytime I think I'm out...

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

I just started watching the old Broken Sword LP's, and now this. It's like Kickstarter is reading my mind.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

Well that was one of the quickest $15 pledges I've made.

Edit: Looks like they did a decent job of setting up reward tiers. Everything under $100 is all digital, so should keep their costs down.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 23, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, gently caress me. I would love to see more Broken Sword. I do hope they "fix" those voices used in the video, as they are terrible.

vvvv Runaway has always felt like a Broken Sword knock off; I wouldn't be surprised if they follow suit with a Kickstarter of their own.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 23, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Well, gently caress me. I would love to see more Broken Sword. I do hope they "fix" those voices used in the video, as they are terrible.
At least they're consistent. Wouldn't be a Broken Sword without lovely voice acting.

If we ever see a Runaway Kickstarter I hope one of the bulletpoints is "Don't worry, the art will still be terrible."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've only beaten the first and third games, and the fourth was just terrible. Is the second game (don't know why I never tried it) any good? I must admit I've missed the snarkiest couple in gaming history!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Renoistic posted:

I've only beaten the first and third games, and the fourth was just terrible. Is the second game (don't know why I never tried it) any good? I must admit I've missed the snarkiest couple in gaming history!

The second one is generally considered on par with the first one. They're very similar stylistically.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
This is tangentially related, but fangamer is doing a reprint run of a bunch of their classic video game themed t-shirts. They're basically 20 bucks each, which is fair.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/fangamer-retrowear

It's already funded (after two goddamn days) so if you're into their stuff there's basically no downside.

If nothing else, their kickstarter page looks really good, fangamer knows how to design a web campaign.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 23, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

macnbc posted:

The second one is generally considered on par with the first one. They're very similar stylistically.

In that case I might pay the $25 pledge and grab the second game from GOG.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

This is tangentially related, but fangamer is doing a reprint run of a bunch of their classic video game themed t-shirts. They're basically 20 bucks each, which is fair.

It's already funded (after two goddamn days) so if you're into their stuff there's basically no downside.

If nothing else, their kickstarter page looks really good, fangamer knows how to design a web campaign.

I own most of the old design shirts and it feels kinda good knowing they have some sort of "collectors value". Ahaha

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10x10room/conclave

These guys just started their kickstarter and totally deserve the love. They have an awesome product that is currently playable.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
At this rate the Broken Sword kickstarter might hit their goal within 24 hours. It's already at $90,000.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Thanks to kickstarter, we have:

New Jane Jensen Game
New Space Quest Game
New Tim Schaefer Game
New Tex Murphy Game
New Leisure Suit Larry Game

and now, New Broken Sword Game. I mean, that's it right there. Kickstarter revived a dead genre with its biggest talent. Holy poo poo.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

If we ever see a Runaway Kickstarter I hope one of the bulletpoints is "Don't worry, the art will still be terrible."

Ahahahaha you dont even loving know

http://www.lab.gamesplanet.com/dayone/

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

the black husserl posted:

Thanks to kickstarter, we have:

New Jane Jensen Game
New Space Quest Game
New Tim Schaefer Game
New Tex Murphy Game
New Leisure Suit Larry Game

and now, New Broken Sword Game. I mean, that's it right there. Kickstarter revived a dead genre with its biggest talent. Holy poo poo.

If there can be a new Myst game and a new Journeyman Project game I will consider my life complete.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, technically we don't have ANY of those. Not yet anyway. The success of the revolution is yet to be seen...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mutata posted:

Well, technically we don't have ANY of those. Not yet anyway. The success of the revolution is yet to be seen...

Is it really a revolution if it's "let's re-hash poo poo from 15 years ago?"

Don't get me wrong, I put serious loving coin into the Tex Murphy kickstarter, but I don't think revolution is the right word.

"Milking the Nostalgia Teat Directly" is probably more apt :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I meant it in the context of shaking off the shackles of the traditional publishing model which is the line most of these kickstarters are towing, but yeah, you're right.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

gently caress yes I'm excited about this.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Is it really a revolution if it's "let's re-hash poo poo from 15 years ago?"

Its revolutionary because 2 years ago if I said (spiritual) sequels for all those games would be in development in less than a six month span you'd go "thats loving crazy"

It would be like if tomorrow various studios announced Baldur's Gate 3, Planescape: Double Torment, Ultima X, Wizardry 9, and Dark Sun: Hot Stuff. Its a big deal for fans of the genre.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And now we only need Joss Whedon to kickstart a Firefly revival where the movie never happened (For obvious reasons)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

I know you weren't being serious, but after the clusterfuck of IX, I think most people would stay far, far, far the gently caress away from Ultima. Then again, I underestimate people's intellegence.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
I am going to throw all of my money at the Broken Sword Kickstarter as soon as I can (probably $100 for the boxed edition). Oh my.
Voice Talk: Nico sounds very off to me, though I've only played the second game and it looks like her VA then only worked on that one.

Renoistic posted:

I think The Smoking Mirror is fantastic and it's one of my favorite games~

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think how this is revolutionary is that people (mostly publishers) have been saying for about 10 years now that the adventure game genre was dead.

Kickstarter is proving that there is still a market for it, and that market is willing to put its money where its mouth is.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

macnbc posted:

I think how this is revolutionary is that people have been saying for about 10 years now that the adventure game genre was dead.

Kickstarter is proving that there is still a market for it, and that market is willing to put its money where its mouth is.

You would think The Walking Dead selling gangbusters would be proof enough!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ARACHNOTRON posted:

I am going to throw all of my money at the Broken Sword Kickstarter as soon as I can (probably $100 for the boxed edition). Oh my.
Voice Talk: Nico sounds very off to me, though I've only played the second game and it looks like her VA then only worked on that one.

I think The Smoking Mirror is fantastic and it's one of my favorite games~

Smoking Mirror still has one of my favorite unexpected solutions to a puzzle.
Well, it's not really an OFFICAL solution, but who wants to spin wheels for 15 minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chg9t4bCvB8

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

At least they're consistent. Wouldn't be a Broken Sword without lovely voice acting.

We need a Hopkins FBI 2 kickstarter and we need it now.

Already backed Broken Sword even tho I have literally no money to spend. We'll see how that pans out in the coming days when I actually get some wages in.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Project Giana (almost two-thirds founded) are releasing a demo of two levels tomorrow, and have added some reward tiers. Here's a picture of some of the crap you can get!

I don't care about physical rewards but I love those plushies :3:

EDIT: The Broken Sword game has already gotten more than Project Giana. I really enjoy the BS games and have backed the game as well, but it's still pretty insane.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 24, 2012

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

DoctorTristan posted:

Given Obsidian's current financial situation, I'm guessing they'd go for something with a little more mass-market appeal. Yes, a PST successor would send a certain part of the RPG gamer demographic into a near-erotic frenzy, but I'm not convinced that many other people would buy it.

Isn't that what the Southpark RPG is supposed to be? I could see that selling pretty well and giving them a little space to make something else for their next game.

Jack Fool
Feb 16, 2003

TheHock posted:

Isn't that what the Southpark RPG is supposed to be? I could see that selling pretty well and giving them a little space to make something else for their next game.

You notice that goddamned company is basically in eternal fiscal crisis, right? Given their track record with money, they'll be lucky if the South Park thing keeps the lights on long enough for them to even make another game. After all this time you'd think Avellone et al would realize their ceo just can't hack it.

It's such a sad state too because when it comes right down to it I'm almost always more interested in whatever Obsidian is up to than any other active game developer.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Knock-knock got some wallpapers, and you don't even have to back them to get those, although you should, I mean just look at this poo poo

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock/posts/287271
Ice pick lodge clearly got new supply of whatever they smoked while making The Void instead of what they used during Cargo! Quest for gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
I'd literally murder everyone in this room for an Ultima X done in the style of Wasteland 2.

The intro would be the Avatar, trapped in a dungeon in Despair, waking from a fever dream with the words, "What's an Avatar?" on his lips.