Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

cat doter posted:

Resolution sucks, framerate is capped, game looks kinda lovely by modern PC standards, yet it's still perhaps one of the best games ever made. I struggle to give a poo poo about the details.

Seriously, I haven't played any other games anywhere nearly as much as the Souls series in the years since Demon's came out. They're just that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Pre-loading is apparently up right now for the game!

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

cat doter posted:

Resolution sucks, framerate is capped, game looks kinda lovely by modern PC standards, yet it's still perhaps one of the best games ever made. I struggle to give a poo poo about the details.

Only thing that irks me is the resolution, and that isn't much. I think if my rig can keep steady 30fps in a slow game like this, I'm fine. Like, it's not 3D bullet hell or DMC-game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

dreffen posted:

This man speaks truth. It's also not particularly large.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

cat doter posted:

I'm actually very slowly changing my mind. I mean, the game is still kinda blurry, but at least the performance is stable. Am I seriously going to buy another game this month, where did my money go :iiam:.

God, he died again.

edit: And again. So bad.

edit2: What is he even doing.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Attention Horse posted:

I'm actually very slowly changing my mind. I mean, the game is still kinda blurry, but at least the performance is stable. Am I seriously going to buy another game this month, where did my money go :iiam:.

God, he died again.

edit: And again. So bad.

edit2: What is he even doing.

He's getting frustrated and trying to rush it.

I gotta say though, I don't know what his hardware is like but those loading times are snappy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
His hardware is listed below the stream window.

Processor: Intel Core i5 760 Graphics: GTX 460 Ram: 4GB Resolution: Streaming at 1280x720 Internet: 30mbps/5mbps

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Attention Horse posted:

I'm by no means excusing the quality of the port, it's not great, but if it maintains the framerate and stability, it's the best version out there. There's only so much we can say about the resolution and frame rate before we're arguing in circles.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

Category Fun! posted:

He's getting frustrated and trying to rush it.

I gotta say though, I don't know what his hardware is like but those loading times are snappy.

His hardware is listed under the stream

quote:

Processor: Intel Core i5 760 Graphics: GTX 460 Ram: 4GB Resolution: Streaming at 1280x720 Internet: 30mbps/5mbps

Aww, he's gotta go

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Console port load times on a PC usually range from good to "wait what the gently caress did that load screen just say?" fast.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Streaming guy is following the typical Dark Souls pattern of finally clearing an area and then dying repeatedly as you try to arrogantly run through it afterwards. Having an audience doesn't help either. I've lost count of the times I've died horribly by botching ripostes and backstabs while trying to show off to friends.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SixtySix posted:

well for starters the Witcher landscape shot is a little different, artistically, than the starting dungeon cell in Dark Souls. One of them is supposed to look grimy and lovely and one of them is supposed to be a glorious colorful vista.

It's a pretty reasonable comparison just because it makes the flaws in DS kind of obvious. It's not that it's dark or grimy or whatever, it's that everything in the shot from the Witcher looks sharp while everything in the shot from DS (including the text) looks blurry. Seriously, I loved Demon's Souls and I'm totally going to buy this because I'm an impatient whore, but there's no reason to pretend that it's acceptable to sell a PC port for $40 and not even allow adjustable resolution. At least it sounds like framerate is a non-issue.

Anyway, does anyone know if GMG is actually handing out keys yet? Last time I ordered a Steamworks game from them it took about five days before I actually had the key. Normally I'd be fine with that to save a few bucks, but since it's only like $5 in this case I'm not sure if I should even bother.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

sweet, preload is only gonna take about a half hour :smugdog:

oh christ now the wait will be even harder

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Seriously, those guys who never played it, this game is very much one of the best games ever made and the downside of the pc version is that it's only going to be better than the console versions but not quite up to made for pc quality.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Anyway, does anyone know if GMG is actually handing out keys yet? Last time I ordered a Steamworks game from them it took about five days before I actually had the key. Normally I'd be fine with that to save a few bucks, but since it's only like $5 in this case I'm not sure if I should even bother.

Midnight UTC apparently.

Mooks
Apr 18, 2007

Well! What is it!

Can't believe I'm so excited to play a game I already own and put hundreds of hours into.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

With the 1024*720 resolution thing people were talking about, how does the game draw on a monitor with a different aspect ratio? The optimal resolution of my monitor is 1680*1050, but that's a 16:10 aspect ratio instead of the 16:9 aspect ratio the game wants. Would it mean the graphics get slightly vertically stretched, or do I get some black bars on the top/bottom of my screen to make it fit better?

Actually does the game support a windowed mode so I can just run it in a 1024*720 window?

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Cool, you can pre-load it on Steam. I'll probably be asleep when it actually unlocks though.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Smart Car posted:

Actually does the game support a windowed mode so I can just run it in a 1024*720 window?

Ah-yup.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Orv posted:

Midnight UTC apparently.

So basically the same time the Steam version unlocks. Cool, thanks.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Preordered because of the ongoing LP, and I've been trying really hard to stay away from too many spoilers. I'm excited to die when it's finally released!

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

It's a pretty reasonable comparison

Not really, no. Different engine, different developers, different development targets in the first place.

W2 was built from the start with PC hardware in mind, while DaS was developed for way older hardware. Look at the X360 version of W2, compare two screenshots and see just how different it looks from the PC version while still looking amazing.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

Mooks posted:

Can't believe I'm so excited to play a game I already own and put hundreds of hours into.

I know it's kind of loving crazy. I put about 90 hours into it on my 360 before my system died. Now I'm sitting here excited as can be to play Dark Souls again because it is just that good.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

dreffen posted:

Am I remembering right that Steam will auto start the download for me, or do I have to wait till I get home and start it up manually?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Saltin posted:

Am I remembering right that Steam will auto start the download for me, or do I have to wait till I get home and start it up manually?

You should be able to start the download with the Steam app or from a browser window

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Toiwat posted:

Not really, no. Different engine, different developers, different development targets in the first place.

So, uh, you're saying it's only okay to compare games running on the same engine, by the same developers, with the same target platform? I don't get it. Literally any game running at a native resolution would work as a reasonable way to show off why rendering at a lower resolution and up scaling looks worse than just rendering at a display's native resolution.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

SixtySix posted:

You should be able to start the download with the Steam app or from a browser window

What I mean to say is I am not at my home computer at the moment and don't have access to it. My logged in Steam client at home won't start downloading the game automatically based on availability, will it?

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Mooks posted:

I'm right there with you. I've actually been putting off playing DS again on my 360 to play this one, mainly because I don't think I could wait till winter to play the DLC. I'm also hoping the quality of online play will be better.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Saltin posted:

What I mean to say is I am not at my home computer at the moment and don't have access to it. My logged in Steam client at home won't start downloading the game automatically based on availability, will it?

'fraid not.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Saltin posted:

No, but if you can access another computer to get to the Steam website or have a smartphone with the free Steam app, you can start the download now remotely to your home PC and it'll be ready for you.

But if not, it's a small file anyways so it shouldn't take too long. Use the waiting time to pore over the delightful and informative OP!

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

SixtySix posted:

Use the waiting time to pore over the delightful and informative OP!

Or watch this video on repeat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76iPvmAclM0

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

that is my all time favorite DS video. Anybody gettin mad at Dark Souls PvP (you will), needs to watch that

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Nebelwerfer posted:

I'll see and post the results if I see any difference fifteen feet away from my couch.

e: Haha, stable 30fps in Blight town confirmed.

Yeah, this is pretty much why I was holding out for a PC port. gently caress yessssssss.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

I always keep that weapon with me whenever I Co-Op/PvP.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Will I be able to use GFWL to download the game client if I have the key for it? Yes, I bought the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

Will I be able to use GFWL to download the game client if I have the key for it? Yes, I bought the game.

You might be able to use their weird Marketplace client? I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to bet on it not being possible.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

Everywhere I saw offering preorders said it requires Steam, so I wouldn't bet on it, no.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
Yeah, it's only available for download through Steam, which makes no sense but that's GFWL for you.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Tezzeract posted:

I guess I'll bump myself if there's any interest. It's more of a hassle than buying the game directly from GMG, but if people want it for cheap, I'm willing to gift.

check your pms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well the stream looked nice enough for me so I bought it. Gonna play at 1280/720p I think.

• Locked thread