Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

SixtySix posted:

No, but if you can access another computer to get to the Steam website or have a smartphone with the free Steam app, you can start the download now remotely to your home PC and it'll be ready for you.

This I can definitely do - thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where is that video of the trident guys all dancing in the painted world? I can't find poo poo on youtube.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

What the gently caress am I even watching?

I'm at work and I've watched this four times now and I don't even know what the gently caress

Orv
May 4, 2011

dreffen posted:

I'm at work and I've watched this four times now and I don't even know what the gently caress

A pure, compressed crack rock of joy. So much joy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

dreffen posted:

What you watched is Dark Souls. The true essence of it, what it does to you. The real Dark Souls has started here.

MrEltee
Jun 11, 2011

"President Reagan!
Gorbachev has actually...
registered Hypercam 2!!"
That MAD video... memories of Albino Blacksheep's YATTA animation come flooding.

So pumped.

I don't think Dark Souls has oozed as much joy as now.

MrEltee fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 23, 2012

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Shima Honnou posted:

What you watched is Dark Souls. The true essence of it, what it does to you. The real Dark Souls has started here.

Did it steal my soul? :ohdear:

Orv posted:

A pure, compressed crack rock of joy. So much joy.

For such a dark looking game it looks HAPPY.

Orv
May 4, 2011

dreffen posted:

That is the real secret of spaceDark Souls.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Vintersorg posted:

Where is that video of the trident guys all dancing in the painted world? I can't find poo poo on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13fCKP6hB4

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

dreffen posted:

Did it steal my soul? :ohdear:

Wait till you meet Sunbro, and a few other quirky characters.
The only thing that will make this game dark is when you get invaded by some guy with a hacked character that ruins your day for no other reason than being a dick.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If I wasn't strapped for cash I'd be buying this right now.

Wanna platinum 1000-point the PC version so hard.

I had never seen this until today and I am just dyin' over here. Between this and the (cool, although sometimes funny) special invasion build videos, Dark Souls is accounting for a lot of the stuff I've been watching recently. Hopefully people who are playing it for the first time on the PC will find some interesting things to do with it.

vv sansviedotcom is pretty much the best when it comes to pvp videos. I still need to try his spellfist build at some point.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 23, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

There are so many good trolling pvp videos out there. Search YouTube for sansviedotcom (spelled out like that) for some of the best ones

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Another video for anybody who may have enjoyed YATTA!

It is another insightful video into the crapshoot world that is Dark Souls.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I am really tempted to grab this on Steam, it looks like the kind of hardcore fantasy survival(or not so much) horror to beat my face against. It is one thing to accept that dying a lot is an intentional game mechanic, and quite another if it is just crap design.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dreadwroth posted:

I am really tempted to grab this on Steam, it looks like the kind of hardcore fantasy survival(or not so much) horror to beat my face against. It is one thing to accept that dying a lot is an intentional game mechanic, and quite another if it is just crap design.
It is absolutely an intentional game design. I don't know any other game where what happens when you die is considered so carefully.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Another video for anybody who may have enjoyed YATTA!

It is another insightful video into the crapshoot world that is Dark Souls.

....... so G to taunt yeah? Think I got it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Holy Cheese posted:

....... so G to taunt yeah? Think I got it.

That's no taunt. You'll understand once you become one with the Dark Soul.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Dreadwroth posted:

It is a beautifully designed game. The game is built in such a way that death is more of a learning experience than a punishment. You die because you weren't properly cautious or got too cocky, and you become better for it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nebelwerfer posted:

I'll see and post the results if I see any difference fifteen feet away from my couch.

e: Haha, stable 30fps in Blight town confirmed.

Oh poo poo I'm going to have to buy this game again. Why is DS so good at taking my money!? :qq:

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It is absolutely an intentional game design. I don't know any other game where what happens when you die is considered so carefully.

Agree, there are no "rocks fall, everyone dies" deaths in DkS. The difficulty is organic, for lack of a better word - for me the stretches of frequent deaths happened in the natural course of the game's combat and were usually the result of direct mistakes I made. Brutal, but fair.

A warning since this game is in the RPG genre; this game is not incredibly plot heavy on the surface. There is a plot there, and there is a decent amount of lore in the world as well; but it's not fed to you. You will have to talk to everyone, often multiple times (and the story will rarely make you) to start to piece together a story. A good chunk of it is contained in item and spell descriptions/flavor text as well. You'll feel pretty alone while actually playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh poo poo I'm going to have to buy this game again. Why is DS so good at taking my money!? :qq:

Because it's so good at everything else too.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

GMG are now sending out keys to people who preordered.

Edit: looks like Steam forgot to enable preloading on the non-Steam-store-bought subscriptions.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 23, 2012

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

So, uh, you're saying it's only okay to compare games running on the same engine, by the same developers, with the same target platform? I don't get it. Literally any game running at a native resolution would work as a reasonable way to show off why rendering at a lower resolution and up scaling looks worse than just rendering at a display's native resolution.

I don't think anyone's actually disagreeing that it would look better - but FROM has made it pretty clear that they never intended to make this a PC game in the first place. It was designed, 100%, as a console game, and so the timings as mentioned are all based on console hardware/etc. After that, there was a big petition, and they said 'okay, we'll make it for PC, but honestly we've never really done this before' and they made it for PC on what was assumedly a small budget. They've been super open about this game being a PC port, but considering that you're getting what was a $60 game for $40, fixes for the framerate issues on the console, AND DLC content that won't be hitting consoles for a few months, I can't see why this is being slammed. The game's amazing and this is going to be the best version of it.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 23, 2012

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Can anybody give me a run down on how the keyboard/mouse controls handle on the PC versus the PS3 controller? I love Dark Souls, but a lot of my talent with it is muscle memory and I'd worry I'd grow frustrated with the differences.

It'd be even better I would be able to hook up my PS3 controller to my PC and use that, although I imagine there's no way to set it up without losing some of the functionality.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

DMBFan23 posted:

Agree, there are no "rocks fall, everyone dies" deaths in DkS. The difficulty is organic, for lack of a better word - for me the stretches of frequent deaths happened in the natural course of the game's combat and were usually the result of direct mistakes I made. Brutal, but fair.

A warning since this game is in the RPG genre; this game is not incredibly plot heavy on the surface. There is a plot there, and there is a decent amount of lore in the world as well; but it's not fed to you. You will have to talk to everyone, often multiple times (and the story will rarely make you) to start to piece together a story. A good chunk of it is contained in item and spell descriptions/flavor text as well. You'll feel pretty alone while actually playing.

A tip for newcomers. Whenever you meet a new NPC and they seemingly disappear after your encounter with them, take a look around your starting area. Often times they'll have relocated to your camp, and many times will sell you items and spells as well.

If not, usually you'll meet them later on in the game. Most NPCs have some sort of sub-story that if you try, you can "complete" [although the requirements for figuring how to do so can be utterly impossible to figure out without a guide]

Just don't stab anyone unless you absolutely know what you're doing. I did that my first go around and deeply regretted it. Especially once I saw on youtube what her backstory was. :(

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

i am tim! posted:

Can anybody give me a run down on how the keyboard/mouse controls handle on the PC versus the PS3 controller? I love Dark Souls, but a lot of my talent with it is muscle memory and I'd worry I'd grow frustrated with the differences.

It'd be even better I would be able to hook up my PS3 controller to my PC and use that, although I imagine there's no way to set it up without losing some of the functionality.

Check out MotionInJoy, you need a bluetooth adapter I think, but I've heard it's flawless (or get a 360 controller and win at gamepadding for life.)

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

gibbed posted:

GMG are now sending out keys to people who preordered.

I see a key on my GMG page but it's a lot longer than the usual steam key and isn't working under activation. Is that maybe the GFWL component or something?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Tolain posted:

I see a key on my GMG page but it's a lot longer than the usual steam key and isn't working under activation. Is that maybe the GFWL component or something?
Nope. Activated on Steam just fine for me, though it'll give you an error dialog since you can't preload it yet. Are you sure it didn't activate? (click OK on this dialog)

The usual dialog saying it was activated was behind that dialog.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

gibbed posted:

Nope. Activated on Steam just fine for me, though it'll give you an error dialog since you can't preload it yet. Are you sure it didn't activate? (click OK on this dialog)

The usual dialog saying it was activated was behind that dialog.

Huh? I'm pre-loading it right now.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Tolain posted:

Mine looked a little long and activated fine on Steam, but like gibbed said it isn't letting us preload yet. It lists as "Dark Souls Pre-Order" on my game list.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Frunk posted:

Huh? I'm pre-loading it right now.
If you purchased it through Steam, you can preload. If you didn't, you can't.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Man I was expecting it to look bad, but this is actually worse than I could have ever imagined. This might actually be the worst port since Resident Evil 4, where they forgot to include the lighting engine. Can't believe they want $40 for this poo poo.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Ohh-- That's... kinda dumb. Well, it releases in six hours at the very least!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

gibbed posted:

Got it, I copied a space by accident.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

iuvian posted:

Man I was expecting it to look bad, but this is actually worse than I could have ever imagined. This might actually be the worst port since Resident Evil 4, where they forgot to include the lighting engine. Can't believe they want $40 for this poo poo.

There is (was?) a stream going for a while of someone's pirated PC version, and it looked absolutely fine. It also played drat well, apparently getting no slowdown in places where it slowed down bad on the console.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

iuvian posted:

:lol: are you doing an impression of a typical PC gamer or are you serious?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Which post processing injector should I use once I get the steam version running. There are so many to choose from and I just want something that makes the game look HD.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

iuvian posted:

Agreed, OP. This game looks bad in a way that is actually physically painful for my eyes.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

i am tim! posted:

I can't imagine the keyboard mouse combo being very good, since the mouse is basically worthless if once you lock on, and keyboard controls would be inferior to an analog stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

iuvian posted:

The game's technical graphics are poo poo (and have been since Demon's Souls) but this is honest to god one of the best games ever, and they never set expectations higher than "this is a direct port of the console experience". The art in the game is pretty great once you get used to how the game looks. Even on PS3 at 1080p it looked exactly the same, and everyone praised it as a masterpiece.

• Locked thread