Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dhkx
Oct 29, 2011
Anyone unable to download it from Steam? I pre-ordered a couple days ago and while it no longer says pre-order in the Library now, double-clicking it does nothing. Is there another way to install that I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koze
Jul 17, 2009

Rookersh posted:

So every bonfire I find will give me 5 Estus Flasks right?

And if I "Kindle" them, they'll boost up to more flasks?

Kindled the first fire I found in Blighttown, and it's now giving me 10 Flasks every time I go to it. Wondering if I should be mainly focusing on Kindling the main fires for each zone, or easy to get to ones or something.

Does being human get you any inherent benefit? So far seems like Kindling everything would be a solid use of Humanity.

Being human only lets you get invaded/summon others to your world. You're right in that the best use for humanity is kindling bonfires, though. There are other benefits, though. Liquid humanity (the number in the upper left) will boost your defenses and your item discovery by a decent amount, but it's not worth saving up humanity for that alone.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are specific bonfires at hub areas that you will want to upgrade, while others are kind of peripheral and aren't worth it. Unfortunately which is which won't be immediately obvious, but will be once you start opening up shortcuts and stuff.

Being human means you can summon people to help you, so yes, it is important. Humanity itself (the number in the upper left) affects your resistance to cursing. You'll really like cursing once you run into it.

In addition to that it will be really obvious which bonfires are the "worthwhile" ones, but if you are near a boss and just need the extra flask hits it isn't a huge huge waste or anything to level up an out of the way fire.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Being human means you can summon people to help you, so yes, it is important. Humanity itself (the number in the upper left) affects your resistance to cursing. You'll really like cursing once you run into it.

It also increases luck, so you are more likely to get rare drops. This stacks with how much humanity you are holding.

Never mind, after checking this is wrong. Only humanity effects drop rate.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 24, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

OxMan posted:

Please, please someone, is there anything I can do to get this game to run with a PS2 controller? I tried motioninjoy and it doesn't work 'cause it's a PS2 controller, and dark souls doesn't recognize anything by default other than button 1 and the Dpad.
Xbox 360 Controller Emulator

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

L-O-N posted:

Has anyone tried to join the gravelord servants yet? I'm having a problem. Spoiler just to be safe.got in the coffin for a couple of minutes and nothing happened.

You need to grab some Eyes of Death first. There's three of them behind the Titanite Demon next to the coffin.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Does being human get you any inherent benefit? So far seems like Kindling everything would be a solid use of Humanity.

Yes, being human allows you to PvP (but also get invaded), summon white phantoms (other players and NPCs that help you) and comes with a boost to magic find IIRC. Personally when I played through the game on xbox I would human->kindle any time I had 2 liquid humanities. There are a bunch of fires you will want to kindle regardless of whether or not you have liquid humanities though, like ones before bosses or in tough areas. It's rarely a waste.

Edit: Wow I have never been so beaten in my life :stare:

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Rookersh posted:

So every bonfire I find will give me 5 Estus Flasks right?

And if I "Kindle" them, they'll boost up to more flasks?

Kindled the first fire I found in Blighttown, and it's now giving me 10 Flasks every time I go to it. Wondering if I should be mainly focusing on Kindling the main fires for each zone, or easy to get to ones or something.

Kindle the ones you need to kindle. I know that doesn't sound very helpful, but explore around a bit, fight some enemies, get to a boss, etc. If you're getting your rear end hammered with 5 Estus, by all means kindle those bastards to give yourself that extra edge. Some bonfires are so isolated that you may only run by them once or twice in a game, so kindling them would be a waste of humanity (not that it's especially hard to come by).

As for being human, it slightly raises your resistances and your attack (not to mention it allows you to summon/invade other players). Having more humanity on hand also increases these bonuses up to a point.

Belan
May 7, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Anyone tried out the resolution fix on a 27 or 30" screen?

http://imgur.com/RJADy

Works fine at 1440p. Although the background depth of field effect looks very blurry.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone who wants to use their PS3 controller for this should use:

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

Allows bluetooth connection and 360 controller emulation.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 24, 2012

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510

Male of the Century posted:

Trying to set up a PS3 controller with this and having some odd camera issues. Whenever I hit R2 or L2 the camera pans to the associated side, which obviously is a huge problem. I already turned off the sixaxis tilting that was also controlling the camera, but I can't figure this one out for the life of me. I'm using the latest version of Motionjoy if that's any help.

I had the same issues. If you're using MotionInjoy, set your PS3 controller as an X-Box 360 controller. This should solve the issue. I just beat the first boss!

People can bitch all they want but with the texture fix and the PS3 controller I'm glad I spent the $40!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Already died to hollows several times, because I keep defaulting to the Arkham City controls and chugging my Estus flasks mid-combat. Also I really suck with the dodge controls.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Are there any issues with using a PS2 controller? Thats my goto setup, I dont wanna have to finnick with getting my PS3 to work.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So is there known framerate issues with AMD cards? Got an HD 6900 and I'm definitely not getting a consistent 30fps.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Are there any issues with using a PS2 controller? Thats my goto setup, I dont wanna have to finnick with getting my PS3 to work.

Mine was detected, but the controls were binded all wacky as hell.

I just plugged in my wired 360 controller.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

voltron lion force posted:

So is there known framerate issues with AMD cards? Got an HD 6900 and I'm definitely not getting a consistent 30fps.

Are you doing any trickery in the Catalyst Control Center? With my 6970 and everything set to "application settings" I haven't seen any framedrops.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

:darksouls:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to swap the shoulder and bumper buttons on the 360?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Just started, now in the Undead Burg! This is my first time playing, so I thought I could defeat the first Black Knight.

That didn't go as well as I was hoping it would.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
:siren: I figured out the 360 controller problem!! :siren:

So apparently Dark Souls doesn't like it if you have anything else plugged in that counts as a game controller. In my case it was a non-existent accessory that I've never had for my keyboard but since my keyboard's drivers are installed the Windows drivers has it listed under Control Panel > Devices & Printers > Game Controller Settings.

So basically the only way for me to play Dark Souls with a controller at all is to unplug my keyboard completely.

There's not a :downs: big enough.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 24, 2012

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Piearesquared posted:

I had the same issues. If you're using MotionInjoy, set your PS3 controller as an X-Box 360 controller. This should solve the issue. I just beat the first boss!

People can bitch all they want but with the texture fix and the PS3 controller I'm glad I spent the $40!

Hmm, even set as a 360 controller when I go into the controller properties R2 and L2 are still maxing out the "Z Axis" inputs.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Arujei posted:

Just started, now in the Undead Burg! This is my first time playing, so I thought I could defeat the first Black Knight.

That didn't go as well as I was hoping it would.

Welcome to DS, enjoy your stay :)

Anyone found the DLC start yet? I'm rushing the game to find it and just killed the Hydra so I'm hoping I hit it soon. Also, the resolution patch makes the game GORGEOUS except for the really blurry distance, which is a fine tradeoff for me

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Welcome to DS, enjoy your stay :)

Anyone found the DLC start yet? I'm rushing the game to find it and just killed the Hydra so I'm hoping I hit it soon. Also, the resolution patch makes the game GORGEOUS except for the really blurry distance, which is a fine tradeoff for me

The guy is working on the blurriness and the buggy messages tomorrow he claims.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone who wants to use their PS3 controller for this should use:

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

Allows bluetooth connection and 360 controller emulation.

Almost half the controller questions already said that motionjoy/DS3 tool wasn't working. (In my case it refuses to see the analog sticks)

Edit: my problem is the game doesn't use the control sticks in the menu (why the hell not) and the control scheme edit is *only* for kbm. So my logging in and expecting to see a controller to verify it sees it didn't work.

EBT fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 24, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Even with those problems it's a huge improvement. I wouldn't recommend playing without the messages if this is the first time you've played the game, though!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Mega Comrade posted:

I honestly don't even care if they're fixed. Game is just so gorgeous already compared to my 360 on the same 42" that the blurry can stay. Now, back to speed running around until I find the DLC :v:

What messages? Those things on the ground are hosed up? I've played the 360 version so many times I lost count, so I've been skipping them, but I can see that being a really big issue for new players

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
The guy who made the patch said he's going to look at the message issue tomorrow. He's in Germany so it's well past midnight there.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Can anyone who's tried playing this on a laptop confirm/deny that it's an even bigger clusterfuck?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah they are a must for first time players.

I remember the first time I was tricked by an orange message, I was angry but at the same time thought it was amazing.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
In case anyone is wondering, the forest farming trick still works. They still happily plunge to their death.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

dhkx posted:

Anyone unable to download it from Steam? I pre-ordered a couple days ago and while it no longer says pre-order in the Library now, double-clicking it does nothing. Is there another way to install that I'm missing?

Update steam that did it for me.

On a side question. A friend of mine is unable to see anything but the hp bar and items in the lower left and the rest is pitch black. If he opens the options menu however the background loads fine. Any suggestions?

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Man I can't wait for all the newbies in this thread to get to Sen's . I love hearing people's reactions to that place their first play through.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Didn't get any feedback on the souls trainer, but I don't think I did enough pointer scans and picked an iffy offset. New version should be better. Let me know if it works.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43421440/soulsForGoonsV2.7z

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

MysteryNad posted:

In case anyone is wondering, the forest farming trick still works. They still happily plunge to their death.

What? They never patched this (it's been a while since I played it on Xbox)

Belan
May 7, 2007

himurak posted:

On a side question. A friend of mine is unable to see anything but the hp bar and items in the lower left and the rest is pitch black. If he opens the options menu however the background loads fine. Any suggestions?

If he is using the resolution fix tell him to disable the in game AA.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

himurak posted:

Update steam that did it for me.

That's caused by the resolution fix. tell him to turn off Anti Aliasing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Didn't get any feedback on the souls trainer, but I don't think I did enough pointer scans and picked an iffy offset. New version should be better. Let me know if it works.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43421440/soulsForGoonsV2.7z

Does this work online? If so, that's super loving lovely.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

What? They never patched this (it's been a while since I played it on Xbox)

As someone who plays this game on Xbox, I can never get it to actually work anymore. I assumed they'd patched it out, but maybe some people have found a different method to glitch their pathing or something.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There isn't really an offline, so I'd assume so. And yeah, if trainer's are that easy, that's super lovely. If people can just give themselves free XP and get high soul levels, big whoop no big deal. If people can give themselves stats without increasing their XP levels though... that's about as fair a fight as a TF2 admin noclipping himself.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2899995

• Locked thread