Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FooBot
Aug 16, 2012

Rookersh posted:

So this game doesn't have any strange autofail things right?

Most Japanese games tend to love stuff like this, so I'm a bit wary. I don't want to pump 30-40 hours into this game, get to the ending, then get told that since I was using Undead Souls that I found to get lots of souls for levels, I'm a horrible person and I could have been saving them, so I get the "bad" ending. Or that since I said no to Solaire when I first met him he'll actually die now and I'll get the "bad" ending 30 hours from now.

I don't remember reading any strange autofails like this. Ending is based a lot on what you kill, who you talk to and a final choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rookersh posted:

So this game doesn't have any strange autofail things right?
There are tons of missables, but nothing that will straight up prevent you from completing the game. Undead souls are fine, but never eat a boss or firekeeper soul. And (kinda big spoiler)all the NPCs have individual story arcs with multiple extremely depressing failure states if you don't help them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

homeless snail posted:

There are tons of missables, but nothing that will straight up prevent you from completing the game. Undead souls are fine, but never eat a boss or firekeeper soul. And (kinda big spoiler)all the NPCs have individual story arcs with multiple extremely depressing failure states if you don't help them.

I somewhat know Solaires from a friend make sure to kill all the bugthings in a specific zone. Should be 8-9 of them or something. Just wondering if thats it for his story, or am I automatically hosed since when I first met him, the first prompt that got brought up when he asked for help was "No".

It let me say yes a few seconds later, but I'm worried. :ohdear:.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure that won't gently caress anything up.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's why I am so hesitant. I've already gotten one refund from Steam due to bad performance (GTA4), there's no way they would offer me another one. I wish there was a demo.

I would suggest not risking it, I'm definitely gonna fight hard for this refund. This game keeps shifting between 15 FPS and 30, which is just not enough, it kind of looks bad, I have tried turning Motion Blur and Anti-Aliasing off and putting it on the lowest resolution, I'm not even using that resolution patch because I was afraid of what it might have done. Still having trouble having proper FPS. Then again, seems like this problem is only with AMD cards.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Welp 4 cracked red eye orbs, 4 successful invasions. :getin: noobs.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Drop rate seems broken high even with 0 humanity. I also got a BK sword from the first BK, plus it seems every 2-3 kills results in a drop of some sort, even with 0 humanity.

Not sure what's up, and it's nice being geared to the teeth since I've already finished the game multiple times, but doesn't feel like the real DS experience anymore :(

As for performance, I'm using an nVidia 560 and didn't even have slowdown in Blighttown while using the resolution patch, so it seems to be purely an AMD issue

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing problems. This thing looks and runs like poo poo, and I'm on a pretty cutting edge rig here. The framerate is almost unplayable. What the hell. :(

For the record, I'm on an Nvidia card, a Geforce GT 650M at that. 8 gigs of RAM, all the bells and whistles. So, I'm not sure the argument of it only being specific types of cards holds water.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 24, 2012

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
If anyones interested, the resolution fix is pretty much these three lines of code: https://github.com/farces/DSResFix/blob/master/myIDirect3DDevice9.cpp#L166

I spent an hour or two trying to sort out the orange soapstone sign messages being invisible but it's a bit lovely, I think it's done manually assuming 1024x760 resolution and the stencil is out of whack and I just can't be assed with it.

Edit; fixed link

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I have no idea what people are going on about technical problems. I played for two hours straight and my experience was flawless. I suppose I should mention I use a 360 controller.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

There isn't really an offline, so I'd assume so. And yeah, if trainer's are that easy, that's super lovely. If people can just give themselves free XP and get high soul levels, big whoop no big deal. If people can give themselves stats without increasing their XP levels though... that's about as fair a fight as a TF2 admin noclipping himself.

Its already been like this on the 360 version for a long time. All you need to hack you save game is a USB stick.

The Gripper posted:

If anyones interested, the resolution fix is pretty much these three lines of code: https://github.com/farces/DSResFix/blob/master/myIDirect3DDevice9.cpp#L166

I spent an hour or two trying to sort out the orange soapstone sign messages being invisible but it's a bit lovely, I think it's done manually assuming 1024x760 resolution and the stencil is out of whack and I just can't be assed with it.

Edit; fixed link

Isn't that like really basic DirectX usage? It looks like it's just initializing a different resolution DirectX window.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

Omnides posted:

I have no idea what people are going on about technical problems. I played for two hours straight and my experience was flawless. I suppose I should mention I use a 360 controller.

Do you own an AMD card? Its just depending a lot in general from system to system.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Omnides posted:

Oh. Shitfuck. Wrap it up guys.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Any tips on getting a better framerate in the Undead Burg? Having the exact same problems as the PS3 version, sadly :smith: I'm running in windowed mode with AA turned off if that helps. Have not applied the German dude's patch, yet.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Its already been like this on the 360 version for a long time. All you need to hack you save game is a USB stick.

Man... at least I still have this on PS3 if it gets too bad. :smith:

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Well, I played for about two hours, quit the game, and upon returning I only have a "New Game" option. Anybody know what might have happened to my save files or how I could possibly restore them?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have 12 Humanities, and just beat the first boss.

This seems a bit off.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012

Cyra posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing problems. This thing looks and runs like poo poo, and I'm on a pretty cutting edge rig here. The framerate is almost unplayable. What the hell. :(

For the record, I'm on an Nvidia card, a Geforce GT 650M at that. 8 gigs of RAM, all the bells and whistles. So, I'm not sure the argument of it only being specific types of cards holds water.

That's a shame. Yeah, this is really gonna need a lot of patches to be even slightly playable here. Have you tried changing the resolution to minimum with AA and Motion Blur off? Did that help you? Cause it doesn't even slightly help me here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Omnides posted:

MrTheDevious posted:

As for performance, I'm using an nVidia 560 and didn't even have slowdown in Blighttown while using the resolution patch, so it seems to be purely an AMD issue
These make me feel a little better. Man, I want to play that new content so bad...but when you buy a game on Steam it is with you until the end of time, if you made a mistake it will sit there laughing at you on your games list forever, and god knows I have enough of those already.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Man... at least I still have this on PS3 if it gets too bad. :smith:

He might be exaggerating some. I've got about 60+ hours of PvP on 360 and have still never seen a single person hacking to my knowledge.

Like, it might be easy to do on Xbox, but almost no one is actually going to bother. Especially if they're afraid of getting their 360 banned from XBL or whatever it is microsoft does.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 24, 2012

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Trap Star posted:

Well, I played for about two hours, quit the game, and upon returning I only have a "New Game" option. Anybody know what might have happened to my save files or how I could possibly restore them?

Are you logged in to GFWL? It sounds like one of those issues: I made a Fallout 3 character when I was somehow logged out, and I could never access that save file when I was logged in.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

That's a shame. Yeah, this is really gonna need a lot of patches to be even slightly playable here. Have you tried changing the resolution to minimum with AA and Motion Blur off? Did that help you? Cause it doesn't even slightly help me here.
Yep, even after trying that it barely made a difference for me either. Thing is just garishly unoptimized.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Are you logged in to GFWL? It sounds like one of those issues: I made a Fallout 3 character when I was somehow logged out, and I could never access that save file when I was logged in.

It said I was online but let me go offline and see if that works
e: nope. You can't play the game without being signed in to GFWL and I'm sure I was signed in both when I started the file and now. Any other ideas where my files might be?

Trap Star fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 24, 2012

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Unplayable with a Nvidia 650M. I really reallyyyyyyyyyy want to play this game :(.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I'm not trying to brag, I'm just stunned by the amount of problems people are having. Also to the guy who asked I have an NVidia GTX 560 ti card, 6 Gigs of RAM, and an AMD phenom(tm) II X6 1090T processor 3,2 GHz.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 24, 2012

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Samurai Sanders posted:

These make me feel a little better. Man, I want to play that new content so bad...but when you buy a game on Steam it is with you until the end of time, if you made a mistake it will sit there laughing at you on your games list forever, and god knows I have enough of those already.

I have been lucky in that the games I did not like are all universally reviled games (Sword of the Stars 2 and Duke Nukem Forever, thank god I got refunds for both). I'm sure that if enough people ask for a refund for a terrible port such as this, they'll be willing to give 'em out.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012

Cyra posted:

Yep, even after trying that it barely made a difference for me either. Thing is just garishly unoptimized.

Good to know I'm not the only one, I just updates this card two months ago, too, and it cost me a good 200 bucks, this is definitely not on my end. God damnit, From.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Carwash posted:

Unplayable with a Nvidia 650M. I really reallyyyyyyyyyy want to play this game :(.
Fuuuuuck. So much for that. 540m here.

edit: Geforce GT 540m that is, I assume one step down from yours? I don't keep track of video card names.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Omnides posted:

I'm not trying to brag, I'm just stunned by the amount of problems people are having. Also to the guy who asked I have an NVidia GTX 560 ti card and an AMD phenom(tm) II X6 1090T processor 3,2 GHz

I have the exact same card as you, but with an Intel i5 2400k and it runs smoothly for me too. I can understand why games like Rage were butter for Nvidia users and hot dogshit for ATI users at launch, but the game running this well on our cards and horribly on a 650M is just confusing.

Like folks are saying though, when you can't predict the game's performance based on quality of system specs, then that's a sure sign of a really bad port job.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Seems like there's something really weird wrong, since half of us are playing at a steady 30fps even in places like Blighttown, and other people are just crippled. I'm sure it'll get ironed out, since the game plays fantastically for half of us. If you played the console version, then you know what I mean when I say Blighttown never dropped below 30fps for me ever, and I'm on a midrange computer with a midrange nVidia using the resolution patch.

Also, the resolution patch really is 3 function call changes, which has me scared about what I'm going to encounter later since From decided not to include them. It's a pretty basic technical change, so they knew how to do it, but chose not to. Hmmm....

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

Seems like there's something really weird wrong, since half of us are playing at a steady 30fps even in places like Blighttown, and other people are just crippled. I'm sure it'll get ironed out, since the game plays fantastically for half of us. If you played the console version, then you know what I mean when I say Blighttown never dropped below 30fps for me ever, and I'm on a midrange computer with a midrange nVidia using the resolution patch.

Also, the resolution patch really is 3 function call changes, which has me scared about what I'm going to encounter later since From decided not to include them. It's a pretty basic technical change, so they knew how to do it, but chose not to. Hmmm....

Can you post your specs? Just interested.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I intentionally stopped playing the Xbox version once I knew about the PC version coming. Man I'm out of practice. Should have beaten my first invader but I missed the riposte on my 2nd parry. One thing I learned is that you really don't forget how to play the game.

As far as performance goes, it's been flawless. 9600GT card. Here is my Steam profile, and my GFWL name is GhostHunterTed. Add me if you'd like.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Can you post your specs? Just interested.

Dual Core 2.8 GHz Processor

2 gigs of RAM

5770 ATI Card.

Runs like a dream.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Would love to know which mods this guy is using. Game looks great.

http://www.twitch.tv/slayer

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
AMD X6 1090T, AMD Radeon HD 6950, 4GB RAM runs perfectly in case anyone else wanted to know before buying, 30 FPS at Blighttown.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Rookersh posted:

2 gigs of RAM

5770 ATI Card.

Runs like a dream.
Conversely:

3rd Gen Intel Core i7

8 gigs of RAM

Nvidia GeForce GT 650M.

Barely playable framerate, even with AA and motion-blur off.

:psyduck:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Welp,

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just need to know how CPU-limited it is. Games that are CPU-limited run badly (my laptop has an inferior heatpipe system and won't go above 2.3ghz or so when under the stress of running a game), for example the Witcher 2, and games that are not run great, for example Skyrim.

edit: I guess that doesn't really matter if it's so shittily written that even almost identical computer setups get wildly different performance.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012

Rookersh posted:

2 gigs of RAM

5770 ATI Card.

Runs like a dream.

6990 here, and it runs terribly, even with all settings off and at lowest resolution. I'm so mad. Oh well, enjoy your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Is there a way to get more cracked red eye thangs or do you get a full time one like in Demon's Souls?

• Locked thread