Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Edit: ok thx, this thread moves so fast

AParadox fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Attention Horse posted:

My question got lost in the previous page (this thread moves fast):

You should be able to use any client you download as long as it doesn't have GFWL stripped from it - it'll ask you to input your key and you should be good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

My question got lost in the previous page (this thread moves fast):

I'd say just go with the download option, you own the game.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

SparkTR posted:

v0.3 of the fix is out

Changes are:

-x16AF is optional
-Mouse curser can be toggled off with F9

Next release will address the DoF issues apparently.

it's kinda awesome and :stare: that this one guy is doing this and updating it as it is.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Well, assuming I don't get my refund my gamepad is on the way. Someone should really just rename the thread though!

Dark Souls(PC Thread) Don't even think about it without a gamepad.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Belan posted:

:siren: Resolution fix updated again.

Jesus, did From even try? At least between this and the PS3 controller I found in my closet I've been able to get back into the Demon's Souls groove.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

So I am getting the impression that maybe we should hold out for a week or two before all of the resolution fixes have been perfected before buying this game. Is that wrong?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

loudog999 posted:

So I am getting the impression that maybe we should hold out for a week or two before all of the resolution fixes have been perfected before buying this game. Is that wrong?

Real Dark Souls must begin as quickly as possible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

Also I don't think the Eagle shield nerf is very significant at all. 5% phys damage allowed is minuscule, as long as the stability stays the same.
If anything it makes health regen actually useful.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
What shield should I use? Everytime I started a playthrough on console, I got Hollow Soldier really quickly (before tauros usually). I've been trying to get it for an hour and it just won't drop. I usually only use this and Silver Knight, so I really have no idea.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

loudog999 posted:

What? No. The game is 100% functional and the current patch makes the game prettier and keeps all text and UI working in game.

Now come, touch the demon inside Steam so that Games for Windows Live might be mended.

Subbz posted:

What shield should I use? Everytime I started a playthrough on console, I got Hollow Soldier really quickly (before tauros usually). I've been trying to get it for an hour and it just won't drop. I usually only use this and Silver Knight, so I really have no idea.

Hollow Soldier has been nerfed to uselessness long, long ago. Either go for a shield like grass crest, coast on an intermediary shield like the ones andre sells, or get a heavy shield like Eagle. Stability is critically important and hollow shield is terrible at it now.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 24, 2012

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Offical Dark Souls Facebook page just posted this:

"A quick note fro Steam users playing on Dark Souls PC with retail version: we just enabled retail version of the game for authentication in Steam so you can have it now added to your game library."

So that means that I can use my GfWL key to add it to my steam library? Probably gonna try that in a second.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Subbz posted:

You can grab the Heater Shield from the first merchant in the game and that's good enough for the early game before you find stuff you like.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If anyone doesn't have a controller to play this but does have a PSP, you can use FuSa Gamepad and the usb cable to use it as a controller to play. You might not even need custom firmware because I think the program is signed. As for camera controls, there's a special button integrated that lets you switch the analog pad to control the right stick/the camera.

The only problem I'm having is that the camera controls axises are wrong. For example left/right on the stick tilts the camera vertically and up/down rotates the camera for some reason. Is anyone else having this problem (on a regular PS3/XBOX controller or otherwise) or know of a way to fix it?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I very briefly tried out the second version of the resolution fix this morning, and holy crap, it looks WAY better. Curious though, I have an AMD 7950, and it seemed a little sluggish. I saw some notes regarding issues with AMD cards, does anyone know if the latest drivers help with this (saw that mentioned in the comments), or if version 3, without forced 16x FXAA helps?

My 7950 is great for most things, but the few issues that AMD cards have are starting to get annoying...

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!

loudog999 posted:

You should play it as soon as possible, because in two weeks the game is going to be full of people who have infinite health and can one shot you.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Subbz posted:

Also if you can get a Balder shield to drop it's very good for early on. The stability is very high (maybe the highest) for an unupgraded medium shield. Just don't upgrade it very much; the stability barely improves.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

FriggenJ posted:

Well, assuming I don't get my refund my gamepad is on the way. Someone should really just rename the thread though!

Dark Souls(PC Thread) Don't even think about it without a gamepad.

I've gotten pretty far on kb+m, now that there's a fix for the mouse cursor there's only one issue and that is the target-switching idiocy. If they fix that I foresee no problems.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There are three iterative update versions of the Resolution Lock fix. The OP links just to the first and oldest one.

Can you just link to the main website, which has the most recent up top?

Main Home Page

Most Current Version (as of this post)

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

bewilderment posted:

You can grab the Heater Shield from the first merchant in the game and that's good enough for the early game before you find stuff you like.

I just bought the heater then it dropped for literally the next soldier I killed. :negative:

I remember how much I love/hate this game now.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
:siren: I can now confirm that you can put your retail Dark Souls PC key (GfWL key) into Steam and the game will be added to your library. :siren:

Downloading it now.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Game owns. I played Demon's Souls when it came out, but couldn't play this on my PS3 because it decided to YLOD about a week before this came out.

I'm a very stern advocate of Mouse + Keyboard play, but drat if my PS3 controller with motioninjoy doesn't make this a delight to play. Night and day difference.

Also the taurus demon can go suck a dragon bone smasher.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Attention Horse posted:

Offical Dark Souls Facebook page just posted this:

"A quick note fro Steam users playing on Dark Souls PC with retail version: we just enabled retail version of the game for authentication in Steam so you can have it now added to your game library."

So that means that I can use my GfWL key to add it to my steam library? Probably gonna try that in a second.

It works! This information needs to be put in the OP.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Doniazade posted:

What the gently caress do you want from me, GFWL?

I have created an Xbox live account, including a change of gamertag to something less retarded than "TenuredPage9". I have forwarded ALL the ports - my router is in bridged mode. I am typing the loving password correctly. Nothing relevant is blocked in the firewall. I can log on to the marketplace app and the Xbox live page.

So why does the in-game GFWL client still insist that "The email or password you entered is not valid, please try again"

Please help, this thing is about to give me a loving brain aneurysm.

I had this issue too. I changed my Live password and even went so far as creating a second account just for this game. Fortunately I didn't have to use the secondary account.

Instead of clicking on your gamertag and trying to log in, click the "Log in with different account" button at the bottom of the window and log in normally. YMMV but this worked for me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So every time I've tried to get summoned, I get disconnected almost immediately after I get to the Host's world. Something similar happened back when I used to try on Xbox, which is weird, because otherwise I don't really have trouble playing online games.

Oh well, I can still keep going with this Miracle run, even if this means I won't be getting that stronger version of Lightning spear.

NO BEN
Jul 27, 2007
I downloaded the game last night, it worked fine, if stupid as hell due to GFWL. However, today when I tried to play, it never prompted me to log into GFWL, and as a result, I can't play online. When I click on the LIVE button in the menu, it doesn't do anything, so I'm stuck in offline mode. Does anyone know what I can do? I'm probably missing something obvious.

EDIT: So after typing this, I checked on steam if my files were valid, 2 files failed, and it quickly redownloaded them and now I can play. I'm pretty dumb!

NO BEN fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 24, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Ignimbrite posted:

Also the taurus demon can go suck a dragon bone smasher.

It's kind of funny that as a melee person the Taurus Demon is kind of the first big gently caress You part but as a Sorcerer it's the complete opposite, Taurus is a joke and everything else kicks your rear end.

Mooks
Apr 18, 2007

Well! What is it!

Is it true that sorcery was nerfed?

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006

Flumpus posted:

I very briefly tried out the second version of the resolution fix this morning, and holy crap, it looks WAY better. Curious though, I have an AMD 7950, and it seemed a little sluggish. I saw some notes regarding issues with AMD cards, does anyone know if the latest drivers help with this (saw that mentioned in the comments), or if version 3, without forced 16x FXAA helps?

My 7950 is great for most things, but the few issues that AMD cards have are starting to get annoying...

I'll repost from earlier in the thread:

havenwaters posted:

Well I think I've figured out why my video card (a Radeon HD 7850) is hating on dark souls. It is going in to low power mode while the game is played. I started using the resolution hack and my fps is fine.

Pretty sure you could just force AA or AF or something instead and also get the card out of low power mode but whatever.

I also have an HD 7850 and was getting the hitches you talk about. After I forced AA and AF from the catalyst control panel the game runs at an almost rock-solid 30fps. I think you're right about the GFX card dropping into low power mode every 30 secs or so. Perhaps this could go in the OP for other Radeon owners?

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Mooks posted:

Is it true that sorcery was nerfed?

Can't vouch for the big ones, but Soul Arrow oneshots regular hollows in the burg at least!

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Turns out I did take a wrong turn at the Darkroot garden. I shouldn't have gone there in the first place. Should have known, but I forgot what my objective was in the first place, which was to get to those bells.

Now to find the entrance to blightown. Also how do I invade other realms?

Karanas fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 24, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Disorientated posted:

I also have an HD 7850 and was getting the hitches you talk about. After I forced AA and AF from the catalyst control panel the game runs at an almost rock-solid 30fps. I think you're right about the GFX card dropping into low power mode every 30 secs or so. Perhaps this could go in the OP for other Radeon owners?

Ah, cool, thank you, I hadn't seen that. I'll give that a shot.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Disorientated posted:

Are you also using the resolution fix? I read it had issues with AA being on and I'm curious if there are any problems using both the res fix and forcing AA/AF.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Doniazade posted:

What the gently caress do you want from me, GFWL?

I have created an Xbox live account, including a change of gamertag to something less retarded than "TenuredPage9". I have forwarded ALL the ports - my router is in bridged mode. I am typing the loving password correctly. Nothing relevant is blocked in the firewall. I can log on to the marketplace app and the Xbox live page.

So why does the in-game GFWL client still insist that "The email or password you entered is not valid, please try again"

Please help, this thing is about to give me a loving brain aneurysm.

I had this problem. You enter your ID and password (or the drat thing even auto-fills them for you) and it tells you they were incorrect - But if you check the GFWL toolbar it looks like you are logged (I'm pretty drat sure it even had "log out" in there).

I think I found an option that says "join" or such in there somewhere - Clicking on which puts you on route to being logged in. For reals this time.

Yeah, I have no loving idea.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I am willing to bet someone has reached the expansion content already.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
After making several wrong turns with my Thief, I found my way to the Valley of the Drakes . The sword that I found there made undead burg a lot easier, let me tell you.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

J Detan posted:

After making several wrong turns with my Thief, I found my way to the Valley of the Drakes . The sword that I found there made undead burg a lot easier, let me tell you.

Just don't upgrade that sword. It's pretty trashy and should only be used until you get the Drake Sword, and the Drake should only be used until you've upgraded another weapon beyond +5 or you can use the Zwei. (Zweihander totally wrecks poo poo and it has no equal in damage when upgraded to max fire/lightning, unless there's an even better weapon now in the bonus content).

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 24, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Just had my first genuine Dark Souls experience with the motherfucking Bell Gargoyles. Total loss: 20,000 souls, 6 humanity, two pine resins, not having bruised knuckles because I got so loving mad dying to the Balder Knight on the way back up and losing my bloodstain with all its treats that I punched a wall. Total gain: abso-loving-lutely nothing, boss still lives, yay!

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006

Shab posted:

Are you also using the resolution fix? I read it had issues with AA being on and I'm curious if there are any problems using both the res fix and forcing AA/AF.

When I first tried this I wasn't using the res fix and did have AA and motion blur on in the game options. Visually I didn't notice any difference but it did seem to stop the regular fps drops down to 15ish - after forcing the settings in the catalyst control panel my fps stuck at 30 with occasional blips down to 28-29.

I make no guarantees that it will work for anyone else but worth a shot I suppose.

Edit: I've since starting using the res fix and having AA and AF forced in the catalyst control panel doesn't seem to have had any negative effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

aegeryn posted:

Just had my first genuine Dark Souls experience with the motherfucking Bell Gargoyles. Total loss: 20,000 souls, 6 humanity, two pine resins, not having bruised knuckles because I got so loving mad dying to the Balder Knight on the way back up and losing my bloodstain with all its treats that I punched a wall. Total gain: abso-loving-lutely nothing, boss still lives, yay!

Lesson learned: Do not carry around too many souls.

You can make those souls back easily with some assists dude, don't sweat it. Read the console thread there are people that have lost 2+ million souls at once.

• Locked thread