Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

aegeryn posted:

Just had my first genuine Dark Souls experience with the motherfucking Bell Gargoyles. Total loss: 20,000 souls, 6 humanity, two pine resins, not having bruised knuckles because I got so loving mad dying to the Balder Knight on the way back up and losing my bloodstain with all its treats that I punched a wall. Total gain: abso-loving-lutely nothing, boss still lives, yay!

Unless they really improved the soft humanity drop rate you shouldn't be stockpiling humanity that much. Turn human, kindle bonfires, (and risk invasions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What the deal with the Leaderboard stuff in this game? Only one of your characters at a time can be on it or something?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Running this on a:
C2D E7200 (oc-d a bit)
4 gigs of RAM
Ati Radeon HD 3850 - supposedly under the minimum requirements.
1680x1050 resolution, no AA

Runs pretty much the same as the 360 version for me, meaning that it's usually 30 FPS when nothing is going on, but goes down when you backstab someone or a dragon is breathing for or whatever. Seemingly never goes under 15 FPS though.

Tried to play with the resolution fix too, which effectively halved my FPS, and while it did make it look a lot nicer, I prefer the relative smoothness I get without it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll do what I can to keep the link in the OP pointing to the most recent res fix, but I promise nothing.

E: Or I can just link to the front page of that blog. Wooo, sleep needed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

What the deal with the Leaderboard stuff in this game? Only one of your characters at a time can be on it or something?

Yeah I'm wondering about this too.

Also, leaderboards?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Bobnumerotres posted:

Just don't upgrade that sword. It's pretty trashy and should only be used until you get the Drake Sword, and the Drake should only be used until you've upgraded another weapon beyond +5 or you can use the Zwei. (Zweihander totally wrecks poo poo and it has no equal in damage when upgraded to max fire/lightning, unless there's an even better weapon now in the bonus content).

Do you mean the astora sword? Because i'm using that now and was debating if to upgrade it or not. I'm doing a faith/dex build and looking for weapon ideas. Don't particularly want to use the drake sword because I used that for like 80% of my first playthrough. Zweihander sounds fun but I'm not dipping into STR much.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Orv posted:

I'll do what I can to keep the link in the OP pointing to the most recent res fix, but I promise nothing.

Just link to his site instead of the actual download page.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

It shows the most recent update there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm psyched the resolution patch has progressed. Gonna try it out when I get home.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Just jumping into this game for the first time, totally overwhelmed of course.

Can someone explain kindling bonfires?

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
So my upstairs PC runs this thing like a champ (quad core 8 gigs ram) but my laptop (core2duo, 4 gigs ram, 1 gig dedicated video memory) is being murdered no matter what res the game runs at.

Here's the funny part- the FPS actually doesn't seem that low- the guy is just moving around in slow motion. Everything moves very slowly but looks very good.
???

Gonna update nvidia drivers and see what gives.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tolain posted:

Do you mean the astora sword? Because i'm using that now and was debating if to upgrade it or not. I'm doing a faith/dex build and looking for weapon ideas. Don't particularly want to use the drake sword because I used that for like 80% of my first playthrough. Zweihander sounds fun but I'm not dipping into STR much.
I do mean that sword.

The best faith weapon is a great/ultra greatsword upgraded to max blessed/occult. You really shouldn't spend too much time with the Drakesword, if you've found other Embers and green/large titanite it's already obsolete.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tolain posted:

Yes. If you're going Dex pick something else, for instance the Balder Knights rarely and I mean rarely drop the Balder Side Sword which is a fantastic Dex weapon. How did you manage the Drake Sword for so long in another playthrough? Its patently terrible at around Gaping Dragon.

For a faith build I recommend picking up either Dark Moon Blade/Sunlight Blade ASAP and enchanting your +15 Dex weapon with it, you can do fantastic damage that way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Right. It doesn't really impact anything, you can just choose which character appears in the Servant Roster and the Book of the Guilty.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

mcvey posted:

You use one humanity (from the counter in the top left) to kindle one specific bonfire, increasing the number of flasks you can carry by 5 after using it. At first you can only kindle up to 10, but later you can increase it to 20.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

mcvey posted:

Your humanity counter is the number next to your life stamina bars. It costs 1 humanity to turn human at a bonfire, and 1 humanity to kindle a bonfire. You must be human to kindle. When you kindle a bonfire it will give you 10 estus flasks instead of 5.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
so... have hackers appeared yet? I guess I should start playing soon so I can hopefully be done before the online is ruined

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

homeless snail posted:

Right. It doesn't really impact anything, you can just choose which character appears in the Servant Roster and the Book of the Guilty.

Ah okay cool.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

aegeryn posted:

Just had my first genuine Dark Souls experience with the motherfucking Bell Gargoyles. Total loss: 20,000 souls, 6 humanity, two pine resins, not having bruised knuckles because I got so loving mad dying to the Balder Knight on the way back up and losing my bloodstain with all its treats that I punched a wall. Total gain: abso-loving-lutely nothing, boss still lives, yay!

If it helps I just lost 100K souls and 10+ humanities because I forgot to equip a ring that makes you lava proof (and jumped into lava). I decided to shrug at that. This game will test your ability to deal with loss.

Admittedly losing 20000 souls is a pretty impressive gently caress up at that point of the game. Good moments to try out the online stuff for a change.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, as it turns out I already had defeated the boss of the Depths before getting a rematch with Kirk. Anyways, that's the Depths sorted. I'm not sure where to go next, though. All I can think of is the CATACOMBS OF NEVERENDING GHOSTS, and that doesn't seem quite right for progression.

Anyways real Dark Souls story. I was dicking around in the Undead Burg trying to kill that dude hidden behind a master key door that has a huge mace, and kept losing, but it was okay because I'd get my bloodstain and try again. Until, in a rush, I manage to walk off the bridge right outside the bonfire. I didn't lose a whole lot of souls, about 5k, but I did lose a bunch of stored liquid humanity from all my bro-op.

By the way, what do I need to do to get a GOLDEN GHOST FORM? I saw some dude with it when I was summoned and it was raaaaaad.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

so... have hackers appeared yet? I guess I should start playing soon so I can hopefully be done before the online is ruined

As others have said, more people will play legitimately than not. And people using SL 999 stuff and hex editing will probably get caught the second they try to connect.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ronald Raiden posted:

There aren't even a lot of people invading yet. People are still going though the content. I was human for a while in anor londo, just looking for a summon sign to help. I would have been invaded five times over if I were playing on the PS3.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Infinity Gaia posted:

By the way, what do I need to do to get a GOLDEN GHOST FORM? I saw some dude with it when I was summoned and it was raaaaaad.

You remember the dragon on the bridge in the undead burg? You must get beyond him into the building he sits on while spitting fire at you.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

This is the Sunbro.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Anyways real Dark Souls story. I was dicking around in the Undead Burg trying to kill that dude hidden behind a master key door that has a huge mace, and kept losing,

The way to win that fight is to literally just circle him and keep stabbing him in the back. If you deal some sort of elemental damage he'll go down in 3-4 stabs.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mzbundifund posted:

You remember the dragon on the bridge in the undead burg? You must get beyond him into the building he sits on while spitting fire at you.

Ah geez. I have no idea how to even do that. Maybe I should buy that fire resistance pyromancy... Though I doubt it'll be huge enough of a deal to let me live through that poo poo. Gonna need to get under 25% encumberance, too, so I can RUN LIKE gently caress.

^^^^^^^
I don't even have access to the ability to make weapons elemental yet. This is really my first time playing this so I'm really just futzing about.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, as it turns out I already had defeated the boss of the Depths before getting a rematch with Kirk. Anyways, that's the Depths sorted. I'm not sure where to go next, though. All I can think of is the CATACOMBS OF NEVERENDING GHOSTS, and that doesn't seem quite right for progression.

There are actually, two, bells of awakening. One up, one down. There is a door in the Depths.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Ah geez. I have no idea how to even do that. Maybe I should buy that fire resistance pyromancy... Though I doubt it'll be huge enough of a deal to let me live through that poo poo. Gonna need to get under 25% encumberance, too, so I can RUN LIKE gently caress.

If you come up the staircase from the bonfire at the middle of the bridge but do not go onto the bridge proper(i.e., stand aligned to the railing that blocks in the staircase) he will eventually land on the bridge. This is your opportunity to run like loving hell straight at him, under his tail, and hook an immediate left inside the area with the statue and raise the gate.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Could this chart be added to the OP? http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

poo poo is useful especially for all the newcomers we're going to get.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Is it possible to zoom in with a crossbow? I've been whiffing all of my attempts to shoot anything because it's out of lock-in range.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yes. If you're going Dex pick something else, for instance the Balder Knights rarely and I mean rarely drop the Balder Side Sword which is a fantastic Dex weapon. How did you manage the Drake Sword for so long in another playthrough? Its patently terrible at around Gaping Dragon.

For a faith build I recommend picking up either Dark Moon Blade/Sunlight Blade ASAP and enchanting your +15 Dex weapon with it, you can do fantastic damage that way.

I played a pyromancer last playthrough and basically used magic for everything until I ran dry.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Do we have a Steam Group for all the PC Dark Souls Goons? I think we need one.

Game just finished downloading, I'm ready to play Dark Souls for the first time in my life.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Could this chart be added to the OP? http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

poo poo is useful especially for all the newcomers we're going to get.

In under Links.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is it possible to zoom in with a crossbow? I've been whiffing all of my attempts to shoot anything because it's out of lock-in range.

Can't manually aim crossbows. You can get a short bow from the undead merchant which you can aim with.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
So I had a weird thing happen last night when I was white ghosting the gargs. Myself and another dude were summoned but someone was attacking our summoner who we couldn't attack. The guy attacking just showed up as the blue phantoms(not darkmoon) you see running around. So we basically just stood around watching our summoner get his rear end kicked by this guy unable to do anything. Am I forgetting an invasion that keeps summoned bros from helping or was there a bug?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rabbi Tupac posted:

So I had a weird thing happen last night when I was white ghosting the gargs. Myself and another dude were summoned but someone was attacking our summoner who we couldn't attack. The guy attacking just showed up as the blue phantoms(not darkmoon) you see running around. So we basically just stood around watching our summoner get his rear end kicked by this guy unable to do anything. Am I forgetting an invasion that keeps summoned bros from helping or was there a bug?

Probably a bug.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

Do we have a Steam Group for all the PC Dark Souls Goons? I think we need one.

Game just finished downloading, I'm ready to play Dark Souls for the first time in my life.

:siren: Look at that, we do now.

Dark Souls Steam Group

Currently public, and I'll leave it that way for at least a day, or just forever. If we need to close it I'll just hand out admin to whoever wants it for inviting.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

Rabbi Tupac posted:

It was Lautrec.

e: I just had it happen to me, but I was the one who summoned someone to help me murder him.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
http://youtu.be/Uv8nsNXzbCY

whoah what the gently caress did they buff Drake Sword or was it always this good? :psyduck:

I was going for big fat ultra greatsworder but I think that can wait, for now.

Orv posted:

:siren: Look at that, we do now.

Dark Souls Steam Group

Currently public, and I'll leave it that way for at least a day, or just forever. If we need to close it I'll just hand out admin to whoever wants it for inviting.

Joined.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm pretty sure the Drake Sword has always been really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

I do mean that sword.

The best faith weapon is a great/ultra greatsword upgraded to max blessed/occult.

Elaborate on that? It looks like the ultra greatswords have stat scaling for str and dex. If I have low str wouldnt that be a terrible idea, or is it based on something else? My stats right now look like 10 str, 15 dex, and working on getting 20 faith and then pumping faith for miracles. I guess blessed scales with divine/occult?

• Locked thread