Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that they're at least trying new dungeon mechanics, even if they don't really work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's funny how much the summons matter in each of the ff games. They seemed to be mostly flavor early on, but have gained actual story use since.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They've been major parts of the story as early as FFIV.

They were introduced in FFIII.

Summons are important to the plot in more games then not.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Off the top of my head I can think of them only being unimportant to the storyline in FFV.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FamDav posted:

Off the top of my head I can think of them only being unimportant to the storyline in FFV.

What about this one?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Summons have no actual story presence in this game, either.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I guess you could say that they're important in the way that materia in general is important? It's kind of stretching things though.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

FamDav posted:

Not exactly true, a couple of your animal buddies die and come back as summons (Syldra and Pheonix) later in the game. So there's that, I guess.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Mogambo posted:

Not exactly true, a couple of your animal buddies die and come back as summons (Syldra and Pheonix) later in the game. So there's that, I guess.

True, but they don't have a core link to the storyline. If this were the line then I'd say FF7 summons are more connected.

Are summons important in 12 and on? I stopped playing these games at 10.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FamDav posted:

True, but they don't have a core link to the storyline. If this were the line then I'd say FF7 summons are more connected.

Are summons important in 12 and on? I stopped playing these games at 10.

They're important in 13. 12, I dunno, since I only played a few hours of that and wasn't really paying attention.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
They do have a story presence in 12. How truly important they are, I couldn't say, as I don't remember the details, but but there's at least one major story section/quest based around getting one

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

They're not that important in XII. You get several Espers over the course of the main quest, but there is only one plot related point where you have to summon one. You have to summon the first Esper you get in order to open a door. Generally speaking, summons in XII sucked (with a couple of exceptions) largely because it was so difficult to get them to use their special attacks. So while they do have plot presence, it's made up for with the fact that most players don't use them that much.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
In IV they're kind of plot related, VI they are a large chunk of plot, VIII they tie into the plot with the whole "memory wipe" thing, in IX and X they're one of the central things of the plot. In XII their importance is negligible serving little to no purpose other than as mini-bosses and no plot purpose. And in XIII they're rather major story things.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Espers in XII are wonderful for building the mythos, though.

I think VII is the one where they matter the least, both in terms of story and in backstory.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're pretty much important to the story in every game EXCEPT this one. Even FF1 and FF2 had Bahamut and Leviathan before they became spells.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think VII is the one where they matter the least, both in terms of story and in backstory.
Yeah, I always just accepted 7's summons as being a nod and a mechanical thing/brand necessity rather than a backstory dealie.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

caleramaen posted:

They're not that important in XII. You get several Espers over the course of the main quest, but there is only one plot related point where you have to summon one. You have to summon the first Esper you get in order to open a door. Generally speaking, summons in XII sucked (with a couple of exceptions) largely because it was so difficult to get them to use their special attacks. So while they do have plot presence, it's made up for with the fact that most players don't use them that much.

They're a lot better in the International Version due to being able to control them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So.

Today I finally caved in and bought the rerelease. After some wrangling with getting registered, I managed to get it running pretty smoothly. Only glaring problem I'm noticing is lowered music quality... Which brings me to my question.

I remember seeing somewhere in this thread something about a fan-made patch that plugs in the PS1 audio. Unfortunately... I'm currently searching frantically through the thread, but I can't for the life of me seem to find the relevant posts. :sigh: If anyone would mind helping me by directing me/posting the information, I would very greatly appreciate it.

Also: Thanks, Elentor, for giving me the motivation to actually go and buy this game. Even though I already know all of the major plot twists (I.E. Aeris/th dying and... Well... Ones that'll be coming up shortly), it's still quite something else to be playing this game. Already I've used the earlier segments of your LP for reference on stuff I might've missed.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

So.

Today I finally caved in and bought the rerelease. After some wrangling with getting registered, I managed to get it running pretty smoothly. Only glaring problem I'm noticing is lowered music quality... Which brings me to my question.

I remember seeing somewhere in this thread something about a fan-made patch that plugs in the PS1 audio. Unfortunately... I'm currently searching frantically through the thread, but I can't for the life of me seem to find the relevant posts. :sigh: If anyone would mind helping me by directing me/posting the information, I would very greatly appreciate it.

Also: Thanks, Elentor, for giving me the motivation to actually go and buy this game. Even though I already know all of the major plot twists (I.E. Aeris/th dying and... Well... Ones that'll be coming up shortly), it's still quite something else to be playing this game. Already I've used the earlier segments of your LP for reference on stuff I might've missed.

It was a soundfont that came for the original ff7, since it played actual midifiles. It wont work with this one which just plays mp3s of the midis. there was another mod for the other pc version called ff7 music that could let you replace the sound with alternate soundtracks, but no guarantee it will even work on the new pc version ( I doubt it).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tengames posted:

It was a soundfont that came for the original ff7, since it played actual midifiles. It wont work with this one which just plays mp3s of the midis. there was another mod for the other pc version called ff7 music that could let you replace the sound with alternate soundtracks, but no guarantee it will even work on the new pc version ( I doubt it).
SE converted the MIDIs to oggs with loop flags, not MP3s. I replaced them with PSX-ripped oggs and it works with almost every track. Descendant of the Shinobi doesn't because the track in the pack I grabbed has If You Open Your Heart with the Descendent name 'cause the guy who rereleased the pack is a gently caress but I don't know how to flag loops and fix it myself. The Bombing Mission song is also unflagged as a loop so it plays only once, but those are the only two (actually three :eng101:, there are two differently-named but identical Bombing Mission tracks) that don't work.

If it ain't :filez: I can zip 'em and upload it for anyone who wants to make their FF7 Rerelease not sound like a dog taking a poo poo.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regalingualius posted:

Also: Thanks, Elentor, for giving me the motivation to actually go and buy this game.

Where's my endorsement Squaaaare? :argh:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

SE converted the MIDIs to oggs with loop flags, not MP3s. I replaced them with PSX-ripped oggs and it works with almost every track. Descendant of the Shinobi doesn't because the track in the pack I grabbed has If You Open Your Heart with the Descendent name 'cause the guy who rereleased the pack is a gently caress but I don't know how to flag loops and fix it myself. The Bombing Mission song is also unflagged as a loop so it plays only once, but those are the only two (actually three :eng101:, there are two differently-named but identical Bombing Mission tracks) that don't work.

If it ain't :filez: I can zip 'em and upload it for anyone who wants to make their FF7 Rerelease not sound like a dog taking a poo poo.
I saw something similar posted in one of the Games FF threads, might be worth a check.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Elentor posted:

Where's my endorsement Squaaaare? :argh:
There's no Square anymore :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pierzak posted:

There's no Square anymore :smith:

That's a real stab in the back

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Regalingualius posted:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0

This should do the trick.

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009

ArchWizard posted:

This line makes me imagine that Aeris lets Sephiroth kill her so she can be free of the parade of traumas that was her life :aersmith:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aerismith would make a great band name.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Edit: Goddamn you, Elentor! I just finished with it, too. Even though it sucks pretty hard. I'm... I'm bad at photoshop.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'll admit that Aeris' death actually made me kinda :smith:

But on the plus side, is got me to rediscover an old flash that cheered me right back up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEqkBcj5qlA&t=2m2s

Edit because the video tags kill youtube time selectors dead.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Going through the City of the Ancients and navigating the snowstorm with the markers are the two places I think of when I think about FF7. Part of it is because they are both stellar locations in their own right, but also because around here is where every playthrough of the game besides my first died.

Thanks for making this LP with such care, Elentor. I don't think the game will live up to what I thought it was at the age of 12, but it's certainly not as bad as I convinced myself it was in the years since then.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Xander77 posted:

I'll admit that Aeris' death actually made me kinda :smith:

But on the plus side, is got me to rediscover an old flash that cheered me right back up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEqkBcj5qlA&t=2m2s

Edit because the video tags kill youtube time selectors dead.

Oh my God I haven't seen that flash in years! Also, the AeratedSmith emoticon is spectacular.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I don't understand why playthroughs would end here.
I quite like this section it's not hard and if you can't read a map you get taken right to where you need to be.
Snowboarding, map reading, snowstorm section, the up-coming part are all things that make this area great, it's all new and differs from what we've experienced so far.

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Tengames posted:

It was a soundfont that came for the original ff7, since it played actual midifiles. It wont work with this one which just plays mp3s of the midis.

What goes into a decision like that :stare:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

FillInTheBlank posted:

I don't understand why playthroughs would end here.
I quite like this section it's not hard and if you can't read a map you get taken right to where you need to be.
Snowboarding, map reading, snowstorm section, the up-coming part are all things that make this area great, it's all new and differs from what we've experienced so far.

It's long, you can't leave, and you go from novel gimmick to novel gimmick with a thousand random encounters. The novel gimmicks are really cool the first time, but in subsequent playthroughs, it's tedious as hell. I fully admit that my most recent playthrough ended immediately after I got to snowboard.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Zinco posted:

What goes into a decision like that :stare:
Back then playing MP3s consumed 2-digit-percentages of available CPU time. It wasn't that uncommon to play MIDI.

vvv Oh. In that case it might have been "gently caress you, too!"

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 24, 2012

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!

Wipfmetz posted:

Back then playing MP3s consumed 2-digit-percentages of available CPU time. It wasn't that uncommon to play MIDI.

No, I'm pretty sure the question being asked is what goes into a decision to make mp3s (not actually mp3s, but pedantry) out of the midi songs, instead of using better versions, for the "new release" :v:

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I don't understand the hate for this area either. I power level early though so maybe the encounter rate seemed trivial to me. I know all the items and I blast through this dungeon quickly.

I'm also a big fan of xenogears, encounter rate and all.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The encounter rate just murdered Xenogears for me. I wanted to like the story, as vague and kind of stupid as it was, but I couldn't when every five minutes was a terrible dungeon with monsters every three steps. Then some cutscenes. Then some more dungeons. If you were lucky there might be a town in here somewhere to wander, and those were the high points of the game, but then it was right back to awful dungeons.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
This talk of the ridiculous encounter rates in FF7 reminded me of this old flash animation (minor spoilers about a recurring FF enemy). I thought this was absolutely hilarious when I was a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

DontMockMySmock posted:

This talk of the ridiculous encounter rates in FF7 reminded me of this old flash animation (minor spoilers about a recurring FF enemy). I thought this was absolutely hilarious when I was a teenager.

To be fair that is actually one of the few good flash videos about this game. The only other one I can think of is just a general FF flash called FF A+ or something like that.

• Locked thread