Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
$25 for a loving energy drink? This is some BULLshi... oh, it's Hong Kong Fun Bucks. Never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

The Missing Link posted:

$25 for a loving energy drink? This is some BULLshi... oh, it's Hong Kong Fun Bucks. Never mind.

I'd pay $25 for an energy drink that makes me punch harder though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
For a quick and dirty conversion, just divide by 10 to get a US dollar equivalent.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

gently caress the hacking in this game. Especially the "Impress Not Ping" mission. :smith:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

toggle posted:

gently caress the hacking in this game. Especially the "Impress Not Ping" mission. :smith:

All you have to do with hacking is start with 0123. If they're all incorrect change the numbers to 4567. You shouldn't have much trouble after that since with this method you literally cannot fail unless you gently caress up.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I have never, ever failed a hack. It's pretty easy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

SporkTSI posted:

All you have to do with hacking is start with 0123. If they're all incorrect change the numbers to 4567. You shouldn't have much trouble after that since with this method you literally cannot fail unless you gently caress up.

Well, technically you can. If you get 012 correct then you still have 4-9 to go through for the last digit, which is one more try than you have. But I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that in the game, and that the six tries is specifically designed to let you get it every time as long as you're methodical.

It was pretty funny the one time I ran into a hack where the code was 0123. Zero-day, bitches :smug:

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

404notfound posted:

I was happy with the way things ended. The only thing I didn't really like leading up to it is how Tong seems to come out of nowhere with no buildup or even any name drops, to my recollection. I think somebody in this thread mentioned it before, but I enjoyed the genre shift from a John Woo action flick to a Korean vengeance flick like Oldboy.

One thing I liked about the dialogue is how people who interrupt each other actually cut each other off mid-sentence. It's always a little jarring in games to hear one guy suddenly stop talking, and then another guy start about a half second later. This sounds like, well, the way that people actually talk.

Yeah, I actually made an Oldboy reference as I was going crazy late in the game. Remarkably satisfying, that whole section.

Like Wiseblood said, they really tried to get as many of the voice actors together in the same room as possible, and it shows. Interestingly, in regards to 404notfound's mention of odd pauses, that's actually something that the actors apparently worry about, as this this awesome and not at all related playthough of Deus Ex with Adam Jensen's voice actor explains.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

What you have to do in that situation where you get 3 right right away is to discard what you have, and look for the remaining number. eg, if the code was 2019, then you'd go something like

0123 (see 012 yellow)
8901 (see 901 yellow)

So, you'd have the numbers within 3 attempts and you have 3 more to get the permutations (I don't think you can mess this up, since you already have a bunch of information about the permutations)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Dammit, I've been humming "Yellow Fever" all day at work. Didn't realize until now that Lucy Liu actually sang that song.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

PunkBoy posted:

Dammit, I've been humming "Yellow Fever" all day at work. Didn't realize until now that Lucy Liu actually sang that song.

I don't think she speaks Cantonese. That's probably not her.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't think she speaks Cantonese. That's probably not her.

Dunno if it's actually her but "Yellow Fever" is in Mandarin and English. It's the Vivienne Lu song "Fly" on Softly that's in Cantonese.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Quiet Python posted:

Well, I finally went on all the dates and got all of the collectibles.

How many dates are there anyway? I got the three that appeared at the start but now I am over halfway through and none of those characters have reappeared. Is that pretty much it or do they pop up again in the late game?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Yeah dude. It's not a dating sim like mass effect. The girlfriends are just there to meet then date once to unlock a mini map tracking object. I.E.- shrines, cameras, statues, races, cases.

But I'm not done playing yet. So maybe I'm wrong.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Okay, so I did a little quick math, and you can indeed solve any hacking puzzle inside of 6 moves. The easiest way is to start with 0123 then 4567. From there, just never place a number in the same slot twice (until you find its location, that is) and you're guaranteed to get it.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
Does doing well at Karaoke or hacking non-drug bust cameras get you anything other than a few achievements?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well that didn't take too long. The newspaper that the MTR (Hong Kong subway system) gives out had a thing about how Sleeping Dogs is inaccurate to Hong Kong. They claim that the developers did no research and based the image on what the city looked like in the past. That's pretty crazy. I could recognize facsimiles of roads in Central (Queens Road, Soho, etc.) and it looks like some assets are photographs the creators took here (like the flat pics of store interiors). I was wondering how long it would take for people to start complaining because sometimes it seems like that's all people do here.

I can say that it looks very much like the city and holds the same vibe. Driving through the rain is gorgeous (and much more enjoyable) than doing it in real life. This is a pretty good game.

By the way, I think I just beat both ParkingTiger and Othercubed's clean driving records going something like 2:45.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh no! Winston and his wife got massacred on their wedding day and now I am Winston :ohdear:

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.

synertia posted:

By the way, I think I just beat both ParkingTiger and Othercubed's clean driving records going something like 2:45.

Realising you've been driving safely in an open world crime game just to get a steam achievement isn't a good feeling.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh no! Winston and his wife got massacred on their wedding day and now I am Winston :ohdear:

If you don't do Mrs. Chu's mission with the outfit that mission gets you maaaan it just isn't right.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Dr. Stab posted:

and nearly every house has a food stand nearby.

The starting apartment has a herbal tea vendor just outside it too.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

Realising you've been driving safely in an open world crime game just to get a steam achievement isn't a good feeling.

True, but beating another player's score is immensely satisfying. I've never 100% any game I've owned (un)fortunately.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Okay, so I did a little quick math, and you can indeed solve any hacking puzzle inside of 6 moves. The easiest way is to start with 0123 then 4567. From there, just never place a number in the same slot twice (until you find its location, that is) and you're guaranteed to get it.

Actually the hacking minigame itself can sabotage you there, because if you get the right number in the right spot, it won't let you change it anymore. So if the combination was, say, 0193 then you'd go 0123-0143-0153-0163-0173-0183 and run out of tries. Not the likeliest of scenarios, but it could happen.

Also apparently if you parkour up a non-climbable wall (too high, indoors, etc.), you can press attack to do a jumping kick attack off the wall. Gonna have to work that into my fisticuffs.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Not sure if anyone can help, but in regards to the stun finisher move. When I learned it, I saw at least 2 separate versions. The triple knee, and a triple punch to the face. Ever since then, I have only ever used the knee, and I do that move a lot. Is there something special I'm missing?

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

How many dates are there anyway? I got the three that appeared at the start but now I am over halfway through and none of those characters have reappeared. Is that pretty much it or do they pop up again in the late game?

I don't have any answer for you other than that I am in the same situation. I even had a run in with karaoke-girlfriend where she was pissed I was cheating on her with Not Ping and Wei was all like "yea I'll totally deal with it" and that was the last I heard of any dating potential. I just finished the Important Guest (Visitor?) quest, if that helps any.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

synertia posted:

True, but beating another player's score is immensely satisfying. I've never 100% any game I've owned (un)fortunately.
For me, I've become obsessed with running over parking meters. Of all the things to measure in a game...

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

The Deadly Hume posted:

For me, I've become obsessed with running over parking meters. Of all the things to measure in a game...

If I'm not in a mission and driving, I'm driving into parking meters. They're just so tempting. Also you can build up some quick cash early in the game that way without much effort and lots of fun.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This game is going to suck my soul in, I can tell. Only got foot deep into the story right now, but I can't wait to get more done.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Syrant posted:

What song is it, in the game, that reminds me of 'Crazy Motorcycle'/'Chase of Highway' from Final Fantasy 7? I hear it pop up in races here and there but I really am not sure which one it is.

Link for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjadGHlsNl4

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS8uwz17U-w

Also, how do you activate slo-mo when jumping out of a car with a gun? And is there any other way to activate slo-mo when normally shooting besides vaulting over cover? I'm dying for some sort of Max Payne 3 system where I dive to the side for bullet time.

edit:for clarification, I'm on xbox

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 25, 2012

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Isn't it the Shift key if you're using KBAM? (Not sure what the controller equivalent is, sorry.)

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

CIGNX posted:

Is it this one?

Also, how do you activate slo-mo when jumping out of a car with a gun? And is there any other way to activate slo-mo when normally shooting besides vaulting over cover? I'm dying for some sort of Max Payne 3 system where I dive to the side for bullet time.

That was it, yes. Someone linked a youtube listing of all the songs in the game and I found it but I appreciate the effort!

I know you use RB/R1 when you do slowmo in melee/post-melee-strike, try that? It's the 'aim' button.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well, I don't normally get into open world games that much. I like LA Noir but that probably barely counts as one if it does at all. I am loving Sleeping Dogs. Finding the collectibles is fun and the map markers you get from certain missions really cuts out a lot of unnecessary steps. If you can't find them, you're going to go to a FAQ anyway, so why not build it into the game? Really like that idea.

Plus, the fighting is pretty fun. I'm not very good at it and I always get messed up by the grapplers because my Asian PS3 has the X and O buttons reversed and I still can't seem to get others to work. Like, when I get grabbed and triangle flashes, no matter how fast I press it I always get body slammed. It's just tough, I try to take them out with thrown objects.

I'm actually enjoying getting the clothes and checking out the cars and stuff. I loved driving the crazy minibus. One of the passengers yelled "A REAL BUS DRIVER WOULDN'T DRIVE LIKE THIS!" Are you kidding me? Is this the first time you've ridden on a minibus? Those jerks break any law short of vehicular manslaughter to cut a few seconds off of a route run.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

CIGNX posted:

Is it this one?

edit:for clarification, I'm on xbox

You need the cop skill to be able to do it and to actually do it, just make sure your weapon isn't holstered when you're jumping, holding LB for a second or so (till a crosshair pops up) should do it, from then on I think it will work. That is how I usually do it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

synertia posted:

Plus, the fighting is pretty fun. I'm not very good at it and I always get messed up by the grapplers because my Asian PS3 has the X and O buttons reversed and I still can't seem to get others to work. Like, when I get grabbed and triangle flashes, no matter how fast I press it I always get body slammed. It's just tough, I try to take them out with thrown objects.

You're probably aware, but when you say you cant press triangle fast enough, you do know that for that grab you have to tap the button over and over rather than hit it once, fast? Plus if you hit any other button it fails you (I often fail that one because I wasnt paying enough attention and hit the wrong button first). Failing that, the best way I found to deal with grapplers is to unlock the knee strike stun (and its follow up kick) and simply whale on them with that until they die. In any fight I pick a grappler and go straight for him until he is down and dont bother with the other enemies (except for counters) until the grapplers are gone. If you dont have the knee strike combo yet then other combos work too because they almost never block.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

SiKboy posted:

You're probably aware, but when you say you cant press triangle fast enough, you do know that for that grab you have to tap the button over and over rather than hit it once, fast? Plus if you hit any other button it fails you (I often fail that one because I wasnt paying enough attention and hit the wrong button first). Failing that, the best way I found to deal with grapplers is to unlock the knee strike stun (and its follow up kick) and simply whale on them with that until they die. In any fight I pick a grappler and go straight for him until he is down and dont bother with the other enemies (except for counters) until the grapplers are gone. If you dont have the knee strike combo yet then other combos work too because they almost never block.

Yeah, I've tried holding it, pressing it quickly, pressing it repeatedly... I always get slammed. I guess maybe I'm hitting another button before and it's registering that. I've unlocked the knee stun, though. I'll go with that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I swear I have the worst knack for hitting the wrong button at the wrong time.

"Help! That man stole my purse!"
"I'LL HELP YOU!"*flying kick to the woman's head*

And dont even get started on me trying to hail a taxi.

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."
Just finished the game and the ending was very satisfying. You know, in that old school action movie-ish way.

The only thing that could be better about this game is its overall length. Not that it's short; it took me 23 hours to beat it, which is pretty good, but after you begin doing business outside of North Point, the story progresses very fast and in the end you wish there were a couple more hours of this awesomeness.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

And dont even get started on me trying to hail a taxi.

You can actually hail a taxi in this game? I always had to try to get them while they were stopped.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

You can actually hail a taxi in this game? I always had to try to get them while they were stopped.

I think he means just getting into the taxi. That's really been my only gripe so far.

Why make the 'hail tax' button the same as the 'hijack car' button? :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

CowboyAndy posted:

I think he means just getting into the taxi. That's really been my only gripe so far.

Why make the 'hail tax' button the same as the 'hijack car' button? :/

Because it's hilarious.

I just cleared up all the fight clubs, love the references in the costumes you get. I did them all dressed as Ryo Hazuki and the Aberdeen one is definitely the best location for them. It was the 100 man brawl all over again!

• Locked thread