Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I never played Anno or Settlers. Which games should I get from these series? I've heard some of the newer editions in Anno weren't that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.
I wanna play Populous: The Beginning, but any time I try to run it on my computer, it runs at super high speeds. It doesn't matter if I run it in compatibility mode or anything. I want a game that is essentially the exact same game, because as far as games go, Populous is one of my favorites.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Wolfy posted:

I never played Anno or Settlers. Which games should I get from these series? I've heard some of the newer editions in Anno weren't that great.
Anno: 1404 is definitely the best, 1701 (the Caribbean-themed one) is also good.
Settlers: II the 10th anniversary. Pure oldschool gaming with well-modernized graphics.

VVV: gently caress, I knew it. Yes, 1701 it is.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 20, 2012

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

MrDude posted:

Recently employed, and always wanted to get into PC gaming, but definitely not in the financial position to get a new computer. Instead sitting on a laptop from 2006, that... was on sale then. Basically shits itself if I try to play the original Halo with too-high settings. Lately I've been playing the hell out of ME3 multiplayer on the PS3, and am having trouble getting interested in single player games again.

So what I'm looking for is some kinda multiplayer PC game that is extremely undemanding, or at least has really good graphics sliders. In terms of gameplay, I want something almost action-RPGish. I can't stand pure MMO gameplay (and don't want to go into the subscription thing), where you're basically just comparing your numbers to someone else's numbers, but I also won't stand a chance in a real action game like Counter Strike or something. Competitive or Co-Op isn't important, and I'm not too bent on any one genre as long as it's somewhat actiony. Active community is a big plus. About to go on a downloading spree of all the Steam Free to Play games, which seem within my tastes, but I'm willing to drop a solid $60 into something if there's a demo so I can make sure it at least runs.

Mount and Blade Warband is pretty lenient on graphics and has a large community and about a billion mods. It's also on sale on steam/gamersgate for a couple bucks all the time.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, definitely check out Warband MrDude. It has a great community as mentioned and it's got some great action.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Pierzak posted:

Anno: 1404 is definitely the best, 1702? (the Caribbean-themed one) is also good.
1701. The individual numbers in the Anno titles always add up to 9.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Scambl posted:

I wanna play Populous: The Beginning, but any time I try to run it on my computer, it runs at super high speeds. It doesn't matter if I run it in compatibility mode or anything. I want a game that is essentially the exact same game, because as far as games go, Populous is one of my favorites.

Try the fan patches: http://popre.net/downloads.php

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, I've had a Gamefly account sitting around doing jack poo poo for a while now, and I'm gonna use it to the fullest extent of my abilities. What're some pretty good and/or novel platformers I may have overlooked? I mean, I'm not looking for gold here necessarily, just something to waste time with. Your Crashes, your Spyros, that sort of thing. I've already played the poo poo out of the Ratchet series and a bit of Jak, but I'm sorry to say I haven't explored the fertile ground that is PS2/360/PS3 platforming. I'd like to stress that I'm not necessarily looking for triple-A game of the year stuff here - I just want to collect stuff and have some adventures and poo poo. So, whaddya got?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lizard Bastard posted:

Okay, I've had a Gamefly account sitting around doing jack poo poo for a while now, and I'm gonna use it to the fullest extent of my abilities. What're some pretty good and/or novel platformers I may have overlooked? I mean, I'm not looking for gold here necessarily, just something to waste time with. Your Crashes, your Spyros, that sort of thing. I've already played the poo poo out of the Ratchet series and a bit of Jak, but I'm sorry to say I haven't explored the fertile ground that is PS2/360/PS3 platforming. I'd like to stress that I'm not necessarily looking for triple-A game of the year stuff here - I just want to collect stuff and have some adventures and poo poo. So, whaddya got?

If you haven't played Klonoa, it's on PSN. It's an old game, but it still holds up and is one of the best platformers of that generation. Klonoa 2 was on PS2.

The Sly Cooper HD collection was recently released both on disc and on PSN. Great games.

There's all the Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia games. I recommend Tomb Raider Anniversary if you haven't played it.

Other good ones? Psychonauts (PS2), Maximo (PS2), Rayman Origins (PS3/360), the Trines (PSN/XBLA), Sonic Generations (PS3/360), Outland (PSN/XBLA), Bionic Commando: Rearmed (PSN/XBLA).

Edit: Sorry, I missed the bit about Gamefly. No idea what they're carrying.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 23, 2012

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

In addition, the Maximo game for PS2 was one of my favorite platformers when it was out. Very challenging, though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

If you haven't played Klonoa, it's on PSN. It's an old game, but it still holds up and is one of the best platformers of that generation. Klonoa 2 was on PS2.

The Sly Cooper HD collection was recently released both on disc and on PSN. Great games.

There's all the Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia games. I recommend Tomb Raider Anniversary if you haven't played it.

Other good ones? Psychonauts (PS2), Maximo (PS2), Rayman Origins (PS3/360), the Trines (PSN/XBLA), Sonic Generations (PS3/360), Outland (PSN/XBLA), Bionic Commando: Rearmed (PSN/XBLA).

Edit: Sorry, I missed the bit about Gamefly. No idea what they're carrying.

I've got the Wii version of Klonoa, wasn't wowed. I guess I should be a bit more clear: I'm looking less for Sonic and Bionic Commando and more for Psychonauts (great game). Less Rayman Origins than Rayman 3, which I think may have been good the one time I rented it? Y'know, shiny objects and roaming and whatnot. :3:

As for Gamefly, they've got current and last-gen physical software.
And GBA cartridges because they're crazy people

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, Rayman 2 is probably the best of the 3D Rayman games, so definitely check that out if you haven't.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not into MMOs, but I did play Fallen Earth for awhile before it went f2p and quite enjoyed it. The manual single-player like fighting, simple to learn but complex crafting system and not strictly fantasy atmosphere are what compelled me to it.

What other MMOs are like this? The combat system being the most important to me. I'm looking for something that isn't just a numbers grind. Aiming, combos and dodges would be nice.

I've already tried DCUniverseOnline. The Secret World's setting is super appealing, but the rest of the game looks meh. I Think Tera might be something I'm looking for, but all I've really gathered from it is the lolis. Guild Wars 2 is super hyped, but I don't know what's so great about it. Enlighten me?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Lizard Bastard posted:

I'm sorry to say I haven't explored the fertile ground that is PS2/360/PS3 platforming. I'd like to stress that I'm not necessarily looking for triple-A game of the year stuff here - I just want to collect stuff and have some adventures and poo poo. So, whaddya got?

Mini Ninjas. It's 3D and it's a little more beat-em-up than platformer, but it's delightfully charming and fun as hell. Alice: Madness Returns falls along similar lines, no where near as much unadulterated joyful fun, but one of the prettiest games I've ever played.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

rizuhbull posted:

What other MMOs are like this? The combat system being the most important to me. I'm looking for something that isn't just a numbers grind. Aiming, combos and dodges would be nice.

I haven't played it yet but Vindictus looks like it has a more hands on, action focused combat system. If you're in the US you can get it from the F2P section on Steam as well.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

rizuhbull posted:

I'm not into MMOs, but I did play Fallen Earth for awhile before it went f2p and quite enjoyed it. The manual single-player like fighting, simple to learn but complex crafting system and not strictly fantasy atmosphere are what compelled me to it.

I've already tried DCUniverseOnline. The Secret World's setting is super appealing, but the rest of the game looks meh. I Think Tera might be something I'm looking for, but all I've really gathered from it is the lolis. Guild Wars 2 is super hyped, but I don't know what's so great about it. Enlighten me?

I haven't played GW2, but TERA has aiming, combos and dodges in spades.
And yes, lolis.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Does anybody know of a good collectathon/platformer? Mario's obviously the gold standard, but I think I've played enough of those.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Suspicious Dish posted:

Does anybody know of a good collectathon/platformer? Mario's obviously the gold standard, but I think I've played enough of those.

Rayman: Origins.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Suspicious Dish posted:

2d or 3d?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Both Banjo-Kazooie games are as close as you can get. If you haven't played them they did some HD re-releases on XBLA and they still hold up very well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

Both Banjo-Kazooie games are as close as you can get. If you haven't played them they did some HD re-releases on XBLA and they still hold up very well.

I've played and beaten both of those, but yes, that style of game (and DKC/DKCR). If you've played it (or have watched my Let's Play), Fluidity was the perfect kind of game.

Orzo posted:

2d or 3d?

Both.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Rayman: Origins.

Played it. Was a fan of it for some time. I'm at the Ice World now, and I'm finding it a bit tricky. I boot it up every so often.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

rizuhbull posted:

Guild Wars 2 has a large focus on player vs player combat (in addition to fully fledged storylines that can be played solo or with friends), both in small scale tournament settings and persistent server vs server PvP with territory. There is a cap on character advancement such that each character will inevitably get to a tier where itemization is based more around building the character to make full use of your chosen skills and areas of focus, rather than grinding for more stats, so PvP is going to be based on player dexterity and foresight instead of who has the best gear. To put icing on the cake, there is no monthly fee, just the initial box price and microtransactions for things like server changes.

Tera is structured more like a traditional MMO, but with an action-based combat system similar to Guild Wars 2. More focus on PvE combat throughout the game, more grinding itemization, and endgame content focusing around raids.

I prefer GW2 and didn't care much for Tera, so maybe someone can give you a second opinion on it, but there's a good reason everyone has been hyped up for GW2 so it is worth checking out.

If you can consider something even less RPG-like, PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play MMOFPS currently in closed beta. RPG-like advancement of characters who gain experience from fighting and use it for minor upgrades and unlocks, kind of like other modern FPSes but on a larger system, and with battles of hundreds or thousands of players over persistent territory.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Could someone recommend a JRPG to someone who doesn't like JRPGs? I keep feeling that I'm missing out. :(

JRPGs tried (and given up on):

Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, 7
Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross
Star Ocean
Earthbound
Skies of Arcadia
Dragon Warrior 7
Suikoden
Ogre Battle

JRPGs that I was semi-successful in enjoying:

Super Mario RPG
Golden Sun
Star Ocean: The Second Story

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Could someone recommend a JRPG to someone who doesn't like JRPGs? I keep feeling that I'm missing out. :(

You liked SMRPG, how about the Mario & Luigi games? The third, Bowser's Inside Story, is probably one of my favorite RPGs in a long time.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
This seems as good of a place as any:

I'm looking for a space simulator, in the realm of Freelancer, X2/X3, and such, with an element of exploration, economics/resources, diplomacy, combat, and maybe pilotable ships from fighter to capital classes. I I dont want to manage a fleet, I want to manage one ship. Freelancer was amazing, but something felt like it was missing, and X2/X3 has the worst combat I've ever seen. I'm sure I'm asking for way too much, but if this wondrous game is out there, I want to play the poo poo out of it. Thanks for the advice!

Danger Doug fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 26, 2012

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Last Scenario and Exit Fate are like JRPGs. Also free and goon-made.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Lord Dudeguy posted:

JRPGs tried (and given up on):

Chrono Trigger

Earthbound

Skies of Arcadia

JRPGs that I was semi-successful in enjoying:

Golden Sun

You got weird tastes. As three of the games you gave up on are three of my favorites in the genre, could you, perhaps, try and give some explanation as to why they didn't hold your interest?
Star Ocean 4 is probably my least favorite console rpg, so you might want to give that a try.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Zoe posted:

Last Scenario and Exit Fate are like JRPGs. Also free and goon-made.

Dude, why would you suggest Exit Fate? I'm a JRPG fan and even I can't stand that poo poo. It takes all the poo poo that's fun about JRPGs (well written story lines, engaging characters, neat battle systems), and instead shits out this awful mess of god awful grinding, cliched and annoying characters, and a lovely loving story.

I suggest Eternal Sonata or Final Fantasy Tactics. Both have very neat battle systems, Eternal Sonata is breathtakingly beautiful, and FFT has some amazing customization options.

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always see a lot of praise for Anno 1404 in this forum, and in particular this thread. Do you all recommend it over 2070? I know I want to play at least one of them, but I'm curious as to what the differences are and what makes 1404 better than 2070.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Danger Doug posted:

This seems as good of a place as any:

I'm looking for a space simulator, in the realm of Freelancer, X2/X3, and such, with an element of exploration, economics/resources, diplomacy, combat, and maybe pilotable ships from fighter to capital classes. I I dont want to manage a fleet, I want to manage one ship. Freelancer was amazing, but something felt like it was missing, and X2/X3 has the worst combat I've ever seen. I'm sure I'm asking for way too much, but if this wondrous game is out there, I want to play the poo poo out of it. Thanks for the advice!
FreeSpace Open has great combat. Download FS2 from Good Old Games and then add the FSO patches. You'll mainly be using fighter-craft, and it's mostly mission-based so there's not much exploration or diplomacy involved.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

grumperfish posted:

FreeSpace Open has great combat. Download FS2 from Good Old Games and then add the FSO patches. You'll mainly be using fighter-craft, and it's mostly mission-based so there's not much exploration or diplomacy involved.

To clarify, Freespace is combat and combat alone, along the lines of a combat flight simulator like IL-2 Sturmovik, so it might not appeal to you. It just happens to be the best of the best in the space genre.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 26, 2012

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007

grumperfish posted:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I've been really loving Dark and Demon's Souls which made me bust out God Hand again. What other games have that kind of brutally hard but fair real time combat? I don't care about RPG elements.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I really want a Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing type of game where you just tend to your town/home and chill out for a while. The more low-pressure and cute the better. Suggestions?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BobOfDoom posted:

I always see a lot of praise for Anno 1404 in this forum, and in particular this thread. Do you all recommend it over 2070? I know I want to play at least one of them, but I'm curious as to what the differences are and what makes 1404 better than 2070.
Yes. 1404 is way better than 2070 in every way except the land battles.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I really want a Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing type of game where you just tend to your town/home and chill out for a while. The more low-pressure and cute the better. Suggestions?

Magician's Quest on DS is basically a magic school-themed Animal Crossing knockoff. There's more stuff to do than in Animal Crossing, but it's just as low-pressure and cute.

What's the best game that you can use your own music in? I've played Vib-Ribbon and AudioSurf, and am aware of Beat Hazard and Symphony (though I haven't played either). If there are any other games along these lines, I don't know of them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 27, 2012

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

That's absolutely perfect!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Looking for a PC game that is pretty much jumping around, climbing, free running, or something along those lines. I've already played the newer Tomb Raider games, Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, and the 3D Prince of Persia series (and Darksiders too but I don't think that counts) and it'd be cool if there were even more games like this. Just anything with a focus on climbing and jumping around on poo poo.

e: I am also aware of Overgrowth but I'm waiting until that actually has levels and a campaign and stuff at which point I will jump on all the things.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Control Volume posted:

Looking for a PC game that is pretty much jumping around, climbing, free running, or something along those lines. I've already played the newer Tomb Raider games, Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, and the 3D Prince of Persia series (and Darksiders too but I don't think that counts) and it'd be cool if there were even more games like this. Just anything with a focus on climbing and jumping around on poo poo.

e: I am also aware of Overgrowth but I'm waiting until that actually has levels and a campaign and stuff at which point I will jump on all the things.

This is a bit of a stretch, but what about Arkham City? It has a clear storyline you have to progress through that occasionally goes through confined space, but you sure as poo poo are jumping, gliding, and generally being a badass through a pretty large area.