Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

nuncle jimbo posted:

Alright so how do I get better at running in boots? Do it more, okay, but I don't have to tell you guys what that impact means for your knees. Any form tricks to know about or something? Feels like running in these boots is all quads because I can't roll off my toes and get my calves into it like normal, am I doing something wrong? Info about prevention of said knee injuries would be helpful too.

Looking at the Special Field Boot and they look pretty nifty, but are they allowed? Or is that idea that they're training wheels?

They're allowed. A lot of people wear them - they're not too flashy. They're my garrison/PT boot. I've rucked in them a few times, but people say not to for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Anyone ever take that USP Labs "Powerful " poo poo?

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Are there any legit BUD/S or SFAS prep. guides out there on the internet that aren't hidden behind a pay wall or some other bullshit?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

TheUnhorse posted:

Are there any legit BUD/S or SFAS prep. guides out there on the internet that aren't hidden behind a pay wall or some other bullshit?

From my Soldier who went to SFAS and was selected, he recommends you start wearing a heavy rear end ruck sack everywhere all the time.

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis

psydude posted:

Well, look at the bright side, 42% of the nation will be obese by 2030, so as long as you stay average sized you'll practically be an Adonis.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but couldn't the obseity rate be due in large part because of all the sedentary-rear end old people laying around eating and waiting to die? I live in the skinniest state in the country so maybe my perspective is skewed, but most younger people seem to be in pretty good shape.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

No, the statistics are based on the NHANES survey which evaluated age groups from like 20-29 30-39 and so on, which has shown increases in obesity with different age groups. Obesity in children has also dramatically increased as well. A large portion of the fat assness does stem from older individuals, but as a nation, all age groups are getting bigger.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 15, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I just re-read that article and I love how we now have another category on top of obese: severely obese. I'm trying to find another study I read a few months back that demonstrated that if current trends continue, 97% of black women and 91% hispanic men will be obese or overweight by 2030.

e: Ah ha! Found it!

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 15, 2012

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

This is the data as of last year's BFRSS analysis *public health poo poo*

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html#baseline

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

TheUnhorse posted:

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/sf/Documents/Preparing%20for%20SFRE%20and%20SFAS.pdf

BUD/s prep, I dunno. Totally different animal than SFAS.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
https://content.goruck.com/fliers/Training%20For%20Selection.pdf

Written by an active Green Beret who was cadre during one of my goruck challenges. It's not so much a set plan but some guidelines. Dude is awesome as hell and had some cool stories. He can also drink. A lot.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 15, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

xwonderboyx posted:

https://content.goruck.com/fliers/Training%20For%20Selection.pdf

Written by an active Green Beret who was cadre during one of my goruck challenges. It's not so much a set plan but some guidelines. Dude is awesome as hell and had some cool stories. He can also drink. A lot.

The gently caress is 'x-tren'? Googling leads me to all kinds of steroid sites - was this guy on gear? That seems like an awful idea from what I've heard about steroids and connective tissue, but then he's SF and I'm still a civilian, so what the gently caress do I know. Was using pretty common at the height of the wars?

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 16, 2012

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Thanks for the links brohams.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

nuncle jimbo posted:

The gently caress is 'x-tren'? Googling leads me to all kinds of steroid sites - was this guy on gear? That seems like an awful idea from what I've heard about steroids and connective tissue, but then he's SF and I'm still a civilian, so what the gently caress do I know. Was using pretty common at the height of the wars?

If I could have found steroids when I was in Iraq, I would have juiced like a motherfucker.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Veins McGee posted:

If I could have found steroids when I was in Iraq, I would have juiced like a motherfucker.

I knew guys who did it and bought it from local nationals. Why the gently caress you would buy drugs like that from Iraqis is beyond me.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
People in my flight managed to find all sorts of roids in the Deid. I think it might be more prevalent than most would assume.

Getting back in the gym after a month of leave is awful. I hate not being able to do what I was able to in June.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Does anyone here do leangains/IF? Have you been able to make it work with having PT in the morning and an evening workout?

I already asked this in the leangains thread, but I guess it would make more sense to ask everyone here considering the lifestyle.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I have some minor joint issues so lifting weights and doing a lot of pushups outside of daily pt can be a little bothersome. Is the pool a good alternative?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cole posted:

I have some minor joint issues so lifting weights and doing a lot of pushups outside of daily pt can be a little bothersome. Is the pool a good alternative?

Yea it'll be good. What kind of exercises causes joint pain? You very well may have some simple form issues to make to lessen the pain.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

HeyEng posted:

Yea it'll be good. What kind of exercises causes joint pain? You very well may have some simple form issues to make to lessen the pain.
when I was 18 I separated my shoulder lifting weights and ever since them I've overcompensated on my left side. A big part of it is form, I know, And I'll work on it, but in the meantime I would like to have a reliable and quick muscular endurance and cardio workout.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cole posted:

when I was 18 I separated my shoulder lifting weights and ever since them I've overcompensated on my left side. A big part of it is form, I know, And I'll work on it, but in the meantime I would like to have a reliable and quick muscular endurance and cardio workout.

Look into plyometrics and bodyweight stuff then. Should be easy to avoid stuff that really hits the shoulders.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
Also you could use sectorized machines which are pretty much only useful for people in your situation, allowing you to isolate the damaged joints.

E:
Oh didn't see you were looking for endurance/cardio.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Shoulder injury guy, talk to a physical therapist. If you see your primary doc they should be able to get you a referral to specialty care. If you have a specific orthopedic injury and history you should get examined by an expert.

To the guy who was asking what X-Tren is, its Trenavar, which is a Pro-Hormone which your body converts into Trenbolone, which is a pretty potent anabolic steroid. Many Pro-Hormones are not technically illegal (mostly because they come out faster than congress can add them to the scheduled drug list), but are of course banned in sports and are generally pretty rough on your body (usually far more so than just taking steroids). It is basically in the same realm as spice/bath salts. People only take them because they can't use the real deal, for some reason. There's no other good reason.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

pro hormones aren't all that great, unless you take a huge load of them. All they do is de-methylate the compound and sell it. the bioavailability after metabolism I believe is like 10-20% potency of the actual steroid.

I've heard people say they got small-ish gains from pro hormones that were similar to deca durabolin, but once you got off the "cycle" he lost pretty much any strength that he gained from it.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

pro hormones aren't all that great, unless you take a huge load of them. All they do is de-methylate the compound and sell it. the bioavailability after metabolism I believe is like 10-20% potency of the actual steroid.

I've heard people say they got small-ish gains from pro hormones that were similar to deca durabolin, but once you got off the "cycle" he lost pretty much any strength that he gained from it.

depends

if you live through 4 weeks of mdrol get back to me(though i'll never do it again it was god drat AWFUL)

Jerk n Clean
Aug 29, 2012
What would you fine folk recommend for going from neckbeard status to fit enough to breeze through basic? I'm hoping to get in the november draft for the NZDF, but have no idea where to start fitness wise.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
http://vimeo.com/47875656 from ylls

The last two months I've been hitting the gym pretty consistently and made back a lot of what I lost since 2009. Picking up and putting down big pieces of metal owns.

I'm thinking about doing front squats instead of back squats. Is there any reason not to do this?

Also, how the gently caress do you eat ~3000 calories?

lmao. If her arms are bigger than yours, get in the gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkUNKKgZ-1w&t=30s

vains fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 30, 2012

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Jerk n Clean posted:

What would you fine folk recommend for going from neckbeard status to fit enough to breeze through basic? I'm hoping to get in the november draft for the NZDF, but have no idea where to start fitness wise.

http://military-fitness.military.com/category/army-fitness

This is a pretty good resource.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I find front squats pretty painful but maybe I just cradle the bar wrong. I like back squats because I can move more weigh vov

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

front squats are amazing if they're done correctly, and are more quad dominant than back squats. When done correctly it's actually much safer for your back than a regular back squat since you're posture is correct to support axial loading. Not to say back squats are bad, but if you end up having bad form with a back squat you can finish the set, while if you lean forward or bend on front squats, you end up (or should end up) dumping the weight.

Not to mention, they require more core stabilization, so it'll get your core rock solid brah.

No real reason not to do them unless you have some quad injuries that could flare up, or you're wanting to blast your glutes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

moker posted:

I find front squats pretty painful but maybe I just cradle the bar wrong. I like back squats because I can move more weigh vov

Is it resting on your deltoids? If you don't seat it properly when you first pick it up then it can ride a bit too low and sit on your clavicle, which is painful.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

psydude posted:

Is it resting on your deltoids? If you don't seat it properly when you first pick it up then it can ride a bit too low and sit on your clavicle, which is painful.

Yeah but I just don't like them in general, they murder your quads though I'll give em that. I also feel back squatting helps deadlifting way more and don't really care how big my quads are for the most part

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You'll get more out of a back squat for increases with deadlifts. Front squats are good isolation, stabilization and core exercises, and they are incredibly useful for the olympic weight lifter, who essentially does a front squat off of the clean, as well as the snatch.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I like doing heavy front squats and hate doing heavy back squat. Mostly because my back squat is 100 lbs higher than my front squat and having all that load on my back makes me all weird and panicky for some reason. It's easier to bail a hosed up front squat.

Either way though, all squats are the best exercises to do.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

I get panicky too. Back squats make me feel like I'm going to throw up/pass out/have a heart attack. I really like not being able to properly walk up stairs afterward, too.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

At least you guys are allowed to do squats.. I have to do body weight squats.... :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
pussy

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I bet you're all taking it because I'm a little behind the curve, but beta-alanine is awesome.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

Ashmole posted:

I bet you're all taking it because I'm a little behind the curve, but beta-alanine is awesome.
what has it done for you? I think i'm going to start taking it.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

barbudo posted:

what has it done for you? I think i'm going to start taking it.

I feel like it takes me longer to get fatigued/hit muscle failure. There's a lot of research that backs it up as a good supplement.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/supplement_superstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Just an FYI, any "research" conducted on supplements isn't legit clinical research and is "conducted" by people paid money by the very companies producing the products. Unless you're roiding the most likely effect from supplements is kidney damage. It's all snake oil.