Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
you americans are obsessed with race, get a grip

We're all the same on the inside! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx9NXcIIIRc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

phractured posted:

I'll shut up when someone makes a good point about how being white makes it easier to become a famous rapper. Until then, suck me. Swag swag.

Eminem posted:

Look at these eyes baby blue baby just like ourself
If they were brown
Shady lose, Shady sits on the shelf, but Shady is cute
Shady knew Shady's dimples would help
Make ladies swoon baby
Look at myself,
Lets do the math if I was black I woulda sold half
I ain't have to graduate from Lincoln high school to know that

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Macklemore - White Privilege
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_lW7yYgiM

Question: do you like it when white rappers talk about the issue of race in their music? I find it rides the line sometimes between a pensive reflection of what rappers observe and a desperate justification of their continued existence as a rapper.

On the other hand: do you feel black rappers have a harder time talking about race? If you're a black artist whose fanbase is made up of a large segment of white people, do you risk alienating those fans by putting a spotlight on the issue?

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
Much easier for black artists to talk about race, at least to me. Which is sort of how it should be. Of course nobodies perfect and a lot of rappers make the same mistake of lumping in all white people into one group. But at least somebody is talking about it. A lot of rock music basically completely ignores ignores talking about a lot of this stuff, which is partly why I stopped following rock as I got older.

Edit: Just listened to your link. You're right, it's both pensive AND attempts to justify his continued existence as a rapper. I think it's a pretty deep song. And really, to go back to my other point, in what other type of music are you going to see that much self awareness by an artist? Pretty incredible.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 25, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I like when people talk about their experiences, not talk for everyone. Or they talk about some angle not explored, like Mathematics or Mr. Nigga. But I think people go too far and start preaching or hand-wringing that just sturs up resentment without any release. That's why I like Tupac because he wasn't just moaning, he was making the discussion personal so people could see how they relate to him instead of how they are supposed to feel "as a ____ person".

Even if someone is racist, as long as they talk about THEIR feelings (and own them), I can deal with it. GNR has a song where Axl talks about niggers and spics and I can deal with it because its personal and how he really felt at the time. Whether he really is racist or not, it was his perspective on the song that made it honest and worth thinking about.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

temple posted:

I like when people talk about their experiences, not talk for everyone. Or they talk about some angle not explored, like Mathematics or Mr. Nigga. But I think people go too far and start preaching or hand-wringing that just sturs up resentment without any release. That's why I like Tupac because he wasn't just moaning, he was
making the discussion personal so people could see how they relate to him instead of how they are supposed to feel "as a ____ person".

Even if someone is racist, as long as they talk about THEIR feelings (and own them), I can deal with it. GNR has a song where Axl talks about niggers and spics and I can deal with it because its personal and how he really felt at the time. Whether he really is racist or not, it was his perspective on the song that made it honest and worth thinking about.

This is so true. As long as somebody says what's really in their heart, it's hard for me to hate them for it.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 25, 2012

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

het posted:

Because the number of black people who will predominantly listen to black rappers is substantially less than the number of white people who will predominantly listen to white artists.

Also, please gently caress off.

edit: I expressed that poorly. I think that black people are necessarily more accepting of white artists because white people are an overwhelming majority in society than white people are of black artists. It's obvious when we talk about hip hop that most of the artists are black.

edit 2: I didn't express "please gently caress off" poorly. If you're whining about reverse racism in hip hop you really should gently caress off.

You really didn't need to tell me to "gently caress off". I wasn't whining. I was merely asking for someone to provide a reason they think being white makes it easier to be a successful rapper.

I also have no idea where you get the perception that black people are more accepting of white rappers because I have seen nothing to support that. Maybe in Michigan and Minnesota.

e: Also just because you think white people mostly listen to white artists doesn't mean that this is the same in the world of rap. I would say the hipster fans-bases that have fueled the rise of artists such as Lil B, Danny Brown, and Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire listen to mostly black rappers, and Atmosphere. You don't hear the people in Williamsburg or on Pitchfork verbally blowing Mac Miller.

phractured fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 25, 2012

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Can I get recs for BX 90s rap? I listened to Stunts, Blunts, and Hip Hop last week it was great. I'm gonna listen to Funky Man and Return of... next. What are some mid-late 90s classics? Besides capital punishment.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

dethkon posted:

Can I get recs for BX 90s rap? I listened to Stunts, Blunts, and Hip Hop last week it was great. I'm gonna listen to Funky Man and Return of... next. What are some mid-late 90s classics? Besides capital punishment.

Diamond's Hatred, Passions and Infidelity
Lord Finesse's Funky Technican, From the Crates to the Files... the Lost Sessions and The Awakening and
O.C.'s Word...Life and Jewelz
Big L's Lifestyle ov da Poor and Dangerous and The Big Picture
Showbiz & AG's Runaway Slave

Yeah, those are just some great DITC albums to start. :tipshat:

PS. DITC's Rare and Unreleased and Unreleased Production 1994

coup more:
Kool G Rap's 4, 5, 6 and w/ Polo Wanted: Dead or Alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niua9KOzgrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomfmCmeHw0

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 25, 2012

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored

dethkon posted:

You from Miami? I spent the last few years living there and going to FIU but I did end up spending a lot of time in Carol and OT (don't ask, ha). I actually really enjoy North Miami, I never had any problems there and met some cool dudes.

Anyway I was happy to see Miami rappers getting some real exposure this year. Dalé.

Born and raised, which is actually a rare breed down here nowadays. I am finishing my degree in Tallahassee, though, and it sucks rear end.

Actually, Tallahassee has some decent rappers coming up. I'll post a few links when I get home. Ice Berg is probably the next Miami rapper to come up, although I personally don't like his style.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

I like when people talk about their experiences, not talk for everyone. Or they talk about some angle not explored, like Mathematics or Mr. Nigga. But I think people go too far and start preaching or hand-wringing that just sturs up resentment without any release. That's why I like Tupac because he wasn't just moaning, he was making the discussion personal so people could see how they relate to him instead of how they are supposed to feel "as a ____ person".

This is stupid

phractured posted:

You really didn't need to tell me to "gently caress off". I wasn't whining. I was merely asking for someone to provide a reason they think being white makes it easier to be a successful rapper.

I also have no idea where you get the perception that black people are more accepting of white rappers because I have seen nothing to support that. Maybe in Michigan and Minnesota.

e: Also just because you think white people mostly listen to white artists doesn't mean that this is the same in the world of rap. I would say the hipster fans-bases that have fueled the rise of artists such as Lil B, Danny Brown, and Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire listen to mostly black rappers, and Atmosphere. You don't hear the people in Williamsburg or on Pitchfork verbally blowing Mac Miller.
This is also stupid.

People have provided reasons, you're just too stupid to understand them. Eminem himself said it helped him (and he's actually good!). Mac Miller is totally popular because he's white. Asher Roth got fame for being white. Neither of them was good, but because they were white they got play. Same for Riff Raffx100.

And nobody from Williamsburg is listening to Atmosphere. Besides, all that "hipster" support has gotten the three of them a combined total sales of jack and poo poo and airplay on literally 10's of college stations, whereas poor downtrodden victim of discrimination Mac Miller's totally-non-white-and-reflective-only-of-his-natural-ability fanbase got him the top selling "independent" album of the last 10+ years.

So yeah, as a wise man once said-"If you're whining about reverse racism in hip hop you really should gently caress off."

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010

alansmithee posted:

This is stupid

This is also stupid.

People have provided reasons, you're just too stupid to understand them. Eminem himself said it helped him (and he's actually good!). Mac Miller is totally popular because he's white. Asher Roth got fame for being white. Neither of them was good, but because they were white they got play. Same for Riff Raffx100.

And nobody from Williamsburg is listening to Atmosphere. Besides, all that "hipster" support has gotten the three of them a combined total sales of jack and poo poo and airplay on literally 10's of college stations, whereas poor downtrodden victim of discrimination Mac Miller's totally-non-white-and-reflective-only-of-his-natural-ability fanbase got him the top selling "independent" album of the last 10+ years.

So yeah, as a wise man once said-"If you're whining about reverse racism in hip hop you really should gently caress off."

riff raff is good gently caress off

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Malformed Dance Hut posted:

riff raff is good gently caress off

Riff raff is literally the worst rapper ever. Not even joking, he's by far the worst rapper ever. If he wasn't some white jiggaboo minstrel-show clown nobody would give a gently caress about him.

Like seriously, he's every late 2000's rap stereotype exaggerated to absurdity and wrapped into a palatable white package for white mass consumption and maximum "ironic" appreciation.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 25, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

I am white and not a fan of many white rappers, am I racist?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

I am white and not a fan of many white rappers, am I racist?

Yes.

Here's a self-test to determine if you're racist:

code:
1. Am I white?
If your answer to #1 is "Yes", then you're racist.

If your answer to #1 is "No, I'm Italian/German/English/Polish/French/Irish/[whatever the gently caress European-]ish then you're not only super-racist, you're probably a giant rear end in a top hat.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

If youre in Tallahassee, I have to hope youre going to the free Killer Mike show today

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I saw Killer Mike on the El-P tour and he was rapping over his full tracks, vocals and everything :| It was kind of lame but still a great show. El-P killed it too.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

alansmithee posted:

Riff raff is literally the worst rapper ever. Not even joking, he's by far the worst rapper ever. If he wasn't some white jiggaboo minstrel-show clown nobody would give a gently caress about him.

You really can't say this when his group 3 Loco features 2 rappers worse than him.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The thing I hate the worst about Riff Raff is how he sneers at you through his plastic shades almost saying "Look at me with no talent and pure gimmick who has no business being called an artist get paid for mugging in a music video". Only in hiphop can you flaunt being wack and have your fans eat it up. I like different poo poo and I'd ride for Riff Raff if he actually gave a gently caress about music.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
Riff Raff is a comedian, guys. If you have ever read or watched an interview with him his rap persona is clearly an act. It's like a Southern rapper version of Ali G but taken to even more ridiculous extremes (as far as presenting the character as a real person).

e: that said, his cocaine addiction is NOT an act

youngallah fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 25, 2012

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So many people mad about riff raff in this thread holy lol

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

alansmithee posted:

a self-test to determine if you're racist:

Wisdom

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
White rapper talk: Asher Roth's mixtapes are actually pretty awesome if you can force yourself to forget about I Love College and all that poo poo. Listen to this and this and this and this.

Can we take this discussion to the logical extreme and bring Brother Ali into it? Because he is (quite literally) the whitest man alive and he's pretty successful, but not as successful as other less white rappers. What could this mean? Perhaps there is a balance to it? (Brother Ali owns)

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 25, 2012

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Asher Roth's "Seared Foie Gras" tape is legitimately decent, even good, but sets you up for disappointment regarding basically every other piece if worked he released before/since. Seriously.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Look guys I know it's ignorant of me, and it's not that I don't believe you, but I just cannot bring myself to click any of those Asher Roth links. Just being real.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

dethkon posted:

Look guys I know it's ignorant of me, and it's not that I don't believe you, but I just cannot bring myself to click any of those Asher Roth links. Just being real.

There's nothing ignorant about not wanting to click an Asher Roth link tbh

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

If people can actually like riff raff i dont feel so bad about liking some asher roth stuff tbh

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

temple posted:

As a white middle class male I always loved Dead Prez for coming from an angle I have no experience with. Let's Get Free is in my top 5 of all time and a lot of it had to do with exposing my 16 year old mind to some poo poo I'd never even really thought about. But that being said I can't get behind a white guy using racial slurs, regardless of his intent. To me that's just ignorance not experience. Also sorry for starting the race debate guys but it's at least gotten this thread talking.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

:ovr: whoa check this out :ovr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3kbvRJYvM

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

DirtyDirt posted:

Ice Berg is probably the next Miami rapper to come up, although I personally don't like his style.

Homie Ice Berg ain't coming up if he hasn't by now.

Also Lil Debbie is a pretty good rapper but she looks like she would just stab you I'm scared of her

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lil Debbie is my girlfriend but she can't rap. White Girl Mobb is atrocious. I like how Gucci did a legitimate album with V-Nasty and its the most misogynist thing lol.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Lil Debbie's rapping is not even close to "good." It all sounds like Riff Raff handed her a lyric sheet, recited it once for her, and told her good luck in the booth.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

an skeleton posted:

Lil Debbie's rapping is not even close to "good." It all sounds like Riff Raff handed her a lyric sheet, recited it once for her, and told her good luck in the booth.

She's literally Kreashawn's stylist and is now also a rapper...

Also, here's some cool riff raff words in an altogether funny video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=shdZubjW-V4#t=277s

O__O fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 26, 2012

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

i think the things that he thinks are like some next level art poo poo

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Wow. Some terrible opinions on this page.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

temple posted:

Lil Debbie is my girlfriend but she can't rap. White Girl Mobb is atrocious. I like how Gucci did a legitimate album with V-Nasty and its the most misogynist thing lol.

Lil Debbie is awful but for a couple tracks I thought she could play the role of OJ tha Juiceman, who I dearly miss

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

the black husserl posted:

Lil Debbie is awful but for a couple tracks I thought she could play the role of OJ tha Juiceman, who I dearly miss

Me too, man. Me too.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
freshman of da yeah like a basketbaw playa

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

alansmithee posted:

This is stupid

This is also stupid.

You're just a racist.

In other news, that Texas All-Stars projects with Trae The Truth is loving awesome. The beat on "I'm From Texas" is one of the best produced rap beats I have heard in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

alansmithee posted:

Mac Miller is totally popular because he's white. Asher Roth got fame for being white. Neither of them was good, but because they were white they got play.

Asher Roth is very good at rapping.

• Locked thread