Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished Sleeping Dogs and while I liked the game as a whole the ending kind of falls apart. Mostly because of the way they make Pendrew the villain. Its kind of hard to care about the character when he's barely in the game. Probably because of how expensive Tom Wilkinson was as a voice actor. I also thought the way they split the ending missions into too many parts kind of killed any momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Something I only learned about after 5 years with a ps3. PSN will not allow players to use xXx in their names, as far as I know.

I am both sad and happy. There is something funny about making a silly xXx5nipa420xXx tag for fun to totally grief people with. I am looking long term and in retrospect and loving this, 'filter' but I am amazed this hasn't been mentioned before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Will Punting posted:

Most of the complaints I've read were petty bullshit from bad writers

He means here, on the site.

A lot of people excited for it were disappointed.

muscles like this? posted:

I finished Sleeping Dogs and while I liked the game as a whole the ending kind of falls apart. Mostly because of the way they make Pendrew the villain. Its kind of hard to care about the character when he's barely in the game. Probably because of how expensive Tom Wilkinson was as a voice actor. I also thought the way they split the ending missions into too many parts kind of killed any momentum.

That's like a trademark of the genre though.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Good Will Punting posted:

Most of the complaints I've read were petty bullshit from bad writers, and I take video game criticism with a grain of salt anyway. This series is one of my favorites and even if it isn't perfect I'm still gonna enjoy the hell out of it.

Apparently you missed the thread on this forum full of complaints from people just like you (and me).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

muscles like this? posted:

TBH I havent got the game yet but when I saw he was doing a voice I assumed right away.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just watched the movie One Hour Photo and it blows my mind how the family's house is exactly what Heavy Rain based their design on. I had the same feeling about Max Payne 3 after watching Man on Fire.

edit: David Cage is an unoriginal piece of poo poo.

Housh fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 26, 2012

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights

the truth posted:

Apparently you missed the thread on this forum full of complaints from people just like you (and me).

Yeah I rarely read this forum so I did and just assumed you were talking about the slew of negative reviews. Apologies.

Maybe they'll improve on some of the issues with a patch or with the DLC. :ohdear:

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

Housh posted:

As opposed to every other game developer who is just a wellspring of exciting new ideas, none of which were cribbed from movies or books (mostly movies).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Housh posted:

I just watched the movie One Hour Photo and it blows my mind how the family's house is exactly what Heavy Rain based their design on. I had the same feeling about Max Payne 3 after watching Man on Fire.

If you're talking poo poo about Heavy Rain then I'm going to cut you. It might not hit the mark for everyone, but drat it tried for the gold alright.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Housh posted:

There are so many things about Heavy Rain worth complaining about but this is pretty unoffensive.

Parkingtigers posted:

If you're talking poo poo about Heavy Rain then I'm going to cut you. It might not hit the mark for everyone, but drat it tried for the gold alright.
I went in expecting a good story and terrible gameplay. What I got was actually pretty fun gameplay and a terrible story. The "boss fights" are ridiculous, Madison's main role in the story is making Ethan feel better about himself, and the identity of the Origami Killer completely betrays the narrative. It's a really, really badly written story with some really fun exploration and a couple of great scenes. I personally loved the driving scene, but within the story it really makes no sense to even happen. This game makes the convoluted traps in Saw look reasonable. It's a worthwhile experience but when your main selling point is your writing it should not be this asinine and tonally inconsistent.

It tries to be a futuristic crime procedural, a noir detective story, Saw, and whatever you want to call Madison's chapters and there's such a disconnect between these scenes that the whole thing never gels together.

Jayden's partner, the guy at the junkyard, and the Evil Doctor are so absurdly over the top that the game begins to feel like satire but I know it isn't.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 26, 2012

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Parkingtigers posted:

I enjoyed the game and bought it day 1. I just feel butt hurt because I remember being astonished by the design of the house you wake up in at the beginning. I thought Cage and friends were geniuses in art and design by creating that house until I watched One Hour Photo. I'm disappointed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Enjoyed it while I played it, kinda disgusted at it looking back. Enormous plot holes, creepy stuff with Madison, David Cage being an rear end in a top hat ect.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

I enjoyed the game and bought it day 1. I just feel butt hurt because I remember being astonished by the design of the house you wake up in at the beginning. I thought Cage and friends were geniuses in art and design by creating that house until I watched One Hour Photo. I'm disappointed.

Eh, it's more of just a typical Frank Loyd Wright inspired design that One Hour Photo itself was using than it was Heavy Rain ripping it off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Trying for the gold doesn't excuse landing in the sewer, sorry. Heavy Rain tried some stuff but its overall execution was abominally bad. The fact that even the developer asked people not to play it more than once is a sign of how badly flawed it is. A good film (which HR was trying to mimic) can be watched more than once and be improved by it. Heavy Rain's replays just point out how massively full of plot holes and lacking in meaningful choice it is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 26, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but I won't argue that it wasn't deeply flawed in some significant ways. Making the re-watch/re-play comparison to a movie isn't fair, though. Cage advocated not replaying the game in order to preserve the 'integrity' (such as it is, anyhow) of the experience. When you replay the game, you can see all the 'rigging' and plot deviations and the 'game-ness' of it all. That's not exactly a problem movies have.

The more apt comparison would be of spoiling a magic trick diminishing it's impact. Not that I'm saying that Heavy Rain is magic, but I believe that's the sense Cage meant it in -- not "don't play my game more than once so you won't see how full of holes it is" (even if it is actually full of holes).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The problem is though that the game was really presented at most points as an interactive story where every little thing you did would effect something. It was presented as a game you could replay alot. The earliest thing I heard about it was that your characters could die at any given time and the story and would go on, and your characters could die in a few scenes, it wasn't nearly as open as they were presenting it as being. If the game cheats it alot that's fine, but to present a game as being full of options and then telling people not to replay it so they don't see all the ways that it's not is really lame.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ChetReckless posted:

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but I won't argue that it wasn't deeply flawed in some significant ways. Making the re-watch/re-play comparison to a movie isn't fair, though. Cage advocated not replaying the game in order to preserve the 'integrity' (such as it is, anyhow) of the experience. When you replay the game, you can see all the 'rigging' and plot deviations and the 'game-ness' of it all. That's not exactly a problem movies have.

If that's true the game wouldn't have things that encourage you to replay it, such as trophies for various different endings.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I don't even really care if there aren't actually a lot of options when replaying as long as the illusion of choice is well done. I care more that no matter what you do the writing and story are terrible.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

second-hand smegma posted:

I've got a 60GB that needs a new power supply. I actually like my slim better. What reason is there to hold onto a launch PS3 when all the good games are pretty much available digitally? I mean, besides the fact that it looks shiny...
I'd buy this off of you just to not have to deal with flaky USB hubs that lock my system when I need more than two dongles in use.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
^^^ I've used two different USB hubs with my PS3 for years without a problem. Try buying a hub that isn't an off-brand, I guess.

Scyron posted:

Something I only learned about after 5 years with a ps3. PSN will not allow players to use xXx in their names, as far as I know.

I am both sad and happy. There is something funny about making a silly xXx5nipa420xXx tag for fun to totally grief people with. I am looking long term and in retrospect and loving this, 'filter' but I am amazed this hasn't been mentioned before.

Sony's censorship has always seemed random and silly to me (not that I'd want to name myself anything with xXx in it). Sony censors Home heavily (I think they want to keep it PG or something) to the point that it can be funny. Anything even approaching a swear word is asterisked out, even "hell." When Home first launched, the word "hello" would appear as "****o." Yet one of the preloaded macros is the word "hello." Why they never noticed during testing that their own "hello" macro actually said "****o" is a mystery.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So uhhh I finally got to really playing Assassin's Creed 2 yesterday and holy gently caress how did I let this game sit and collect dust so long. :stare: It is amazing. It's like Italian Saboteur with a really awesome plot structure/method of delivery. I had no idea that the game was... erm, like this? I dunno, I expected something else for some reason, but this is awesome. This game is so good.

I need to go watch the LP of AC1 so it makes a little more sense, but it's pretty cool so far. Ezio's dad just got whacked, which actually surprised me, didn't really see it coming, of course neither did Alberti when I shanked him in the kidneys. :v:

e. Is "wall climbing rooftop adventure" an official genre? Because now I've got AC, Infamous, Saboteur...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

So uhhh I finally got to really playing Assassin's Creed 2 yesterday and holy gently caress how did I let this game sit and collect dust so long. :stare: It is amazing. It's like Italian Saboteur with a really awesome plot structure/method of delivery. I had no idea that the game was... erm, like this? I dunno, I expected something else for some reason, but this is awesome. This game is so good.

I need to go watch the LP of AC1 so it makes a little more sense, but it's pretty cool so far. Ezio's dad just got whacked, which actually surprised me, didn't really see it coming, of course neither did Alberti when I shanked him in the kidneys. :v:

e. Is "wall climbing rooftop adventure" an official genre? Because now I've got AC, Infamous, Saboteur...
AC started the whole thing didn't it? Infamous and Saboteur are both from two years later.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Code Jockey posted:

I need to go watch the LP of AC1 so it makes a little more sense

Don't bother, just read the summary on Wikipedia or something. AC1 has very little relevant story in it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cbouncerrun posted:

Don't bother, just read the summary on Wikipedia or something. AC1 has very little relevant story in it.

Silence you. Geop's LP of AC1 is excellent. :colbert:

Did anyone else get a R&C Full Frontal Assault beta code yet? Just got mine in the mail.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yup, just got mine. Loading it up now.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I was wondering if someone had suggestions for a game for PS3 or on PSN that would be good for someone who has never played games. I thought Journey might be good but I'm not sure it would have the same impact on someone who has never played games and is used to constant voice communication. Another thought I had was Plants Vs Zombies which will probably be my starting point. Any other good suggestions? Preferably nothing super violent and with some charm to it if possible.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Xeras posted:

I was wondering if someone had suggestions for a game for PS3 or on PSN that would be good for someone who has never played games. I thought Journey might be good but I'm not sure it would have the same impact on someone who has never played games and is used to constant voice communication. Another thought I had was Plants Vs Zombies which will probably be my starting point. Any other good suggestions? Preferably nothing super violent and with some charm to it if possible.

Critter Crunch, Tomba!, and Klonoa might fit the bill. Critter Crunch is a puzzle game with a lot of charm. Klonoa's a PS1 "2.5D" platformer that is pretty easy overall except for some late-game stuff. I have no idea how hard Tomba! is but you're a caveman and there are pigs and it's regarded as one of the gems of the PS1.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Wrong thread.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 27, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

DangerKat posted:

What are the thoughts on Sony's official wired headset?

It's like $15 at Target this week and I had never seen it before. Thought it might be nice for the few times I want to talk to someone online but if it has a reputation for lovely feedback or anything, I don't want to waste the money.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344834

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xeras posted:

Heavy Weapon :madmax:
One stick to move, other stick to shoot. It's not that violent, unless shooting down aircraft and explosions all over the place is a bad thing.

Peggle is another good one. It's super-easy to control and understand what's going on.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yechezkel posted:

Peggle is another good one. It's super-easy to control and understand what's going on.

Peggle is a good one. First game I bought the Mrs when I got my PS3, and she had an absolute blast [she'd never played it on the PC].

Trash Panic, if you want them to never speak to you again. :v:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

My bad I thought I was in the General thread.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Xeras posted:

Namco Collection, everything on it is great.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

AC started the whole thing didn't it? Infamous and Saboteur are both from two years later.

Haha, I suppose so. Well, that's me I guess - if it doesn't have "Yakuza" in the title I don't play it until it's several years old, and things get jumbled up. :v:

e. Also Xera, dunno if this is a good fit but I'm positively addicted to Chime, which is a fun game with pretty much no learning curve [put down blocks, make squares, cover entire board], great soundtrack, and is pretty fun.

e2. AC2chat: Ahahaha holy poo poo its-a-me, Mario!

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 27, 2012

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

On the subject of Heavy Rain, I really loved the game but after getting the Platinum I exhausted all the options available and so I haven't played it too often since (It all feels fresh in my mind) One criticism I have about the game is that it is too generous with the players, which is both good and bad, in terms of giving that last minute opportunity to survive and in some scenes despite the threat of death seeming present you can't die at all (Butterfly Trial with Ethan is a good one). If the game had the same threat level as the last chapters all throughout it the whole thing would be a lot more intense on repeat playthroughs.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Platted Amalur. Another plat of a lovely game. :smug:

I just played the Papo & Yo demo. Isn't the main gimmick of the game supposed to be you guiding that monster around? There is literally none of that in the demo. Why would you base your game around a gimmick like that and then not put it in the demo? It makes no sense. The only impression of the game that I got from the demo is that it's an underwhelming platformer. It's a shame.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

...! posted:

What was your total game time to plat? I'm playing through at the moment but I really can't be arsed with the odd side quests. Can you just do the main quest/faction quests and be done with it?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There's some lovely grinding trophies, like that 500 kills with skills (or something like that), collect 10 of each ingredient, and that object destroying one.

And I think "lovely game" is hyperbole, the combat was almost worth the price, IMO.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 27, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

...! posted:

I just played the Papo & Yo demo. Isn't the main gimmick of the game supposed to be you guiding that monster around? There is literally none of that in the demo. Why would you base your game around a gimmick like that and then not put it in the demo? It makes no sense. The only impression of the game that I got from the demo is that it's an underwhelming platformer. It's a shame.
The reviews really put me off - apparently, yeah, the platforming is terrible and the puzzles are procedural slogs. The author's voice supposedly shines through, but not enough to balance the bland platforming and not-puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

PS+ has broken me. When I own too many games at once, like 4+, I'm paralysed by the choice of what to play and end up playing nothing, so I sell them all and buy one game that I really want to play. I've only bought one PS3 game (Demon's Souls) but now I have like 12 games from PS+ and I don't know what to play and oh god I can't decide so I'll just browse PS1 games in the store instead of actually playing Darksiders or inFamous 2.

I'll probably buy Blood Omen or something and play that instead.

• Locked thread