Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
$10/mo intovps.com

they're openvz based but otherwise great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I just canceled my TailoredVPS VPS because even though it was like $4.00 a month ($6.95 - discount from LEB) it was just extra lovely lately. Random reboots, network connectivity dropping... It was fine for a few months but the last month or so it's the worst it's been.

I can spin up a VM at work to use on it's own IP but I'd rather have something hosted somewhere - but what is there between the $5 VPS providers and a $20 Linode?

I'm just hosting a few shells for irssi, a couple simple websites, and maybe storing some files.

I have this same question - I've used a couple budget VPS providers before, and they're all garbage at some point. I don't think I need more than the base Linode instance. I'll check out intovps.com though, if you think they're worthwhile Milkie.

xpander fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 23, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Milkie Galore posted:

$10/mo intovps.com

they're openvz based but otherwise great

ToS says no IRC, any experience on if they enforce that?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

irc.freenode.net #intovps

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

they mean irc servers, clients are fine (I run a bouncer on mine)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

xpander posted:

I have this same question - I've used a couple budget VPS providers before, and they're all garbage at some point. I don't think I need more than the base Linode instance. I'll check out intovps.com though, if you think they're worthwhile Milkie.

Only other downside (arguably) I can think of is that you may need to send them a scan of your drivers license or whatever if your paypal account isn't verified

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
What are some good reasonably priced hosting options that can deal with traffic spikes? I'm working with a client who's smallish business is going to be featured on a fairly major tv show (can't say any more). He told me that he was told to expect a massive traffic spike when it airs. However, he's not large enough to be able to afford like $100/month hosting, just something that can deal with the spike.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

mmm11105 posted:

What are some good reasonably priced hosting options that can deal with traffic spikes? I'm working with a client who's smallish business is going to be featured on a fairly major tv show (can't say any more). He told me that he was told to expect a massive traffic spike when it airs. However, he's not large enough to be able to afford like $100/month hosting, just something that can deal with the spike.

You could always use cloudflare (http://www.cloudflare.com/) if it's a temporary spike.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

cloudflare's pretty decent at easing the burden of seving static content. You may also need to look at how any databases you have cope under load. For PHP sites I've seen big improvements from installing APC and setting stat=0.

What kind of site/software are you running?

loadimpact.com is a nice tool for DOSing poorly written websites testing your site under load

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 23, 2012

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Bob Morales posted:

I just canceled my TailoredVPS VPS because even though it was like $4.00 a month ($6.95 - discount from LEB) it was just extra lovely lately. Random reboots, network connectivity dropping... It was fine for a few months but the last month or so it's the worst it's been.

I can spin up a VM at work to use on it's own IP but I'd rather have something hosted somewhere - but what is there between the $5 VPS providers and a $20 Linode?

I'm just hosting a few shells for irssi, a couple simple websites, and maybe storing some files.

If you can get service from BuyVM, they've been advertized on LEB from time to time and are pretty good. Outside of scheduled maintenance I've had no problems. They also sell out super-fast (http://www.doesbuyvmhavestock.com/).

Prgmr.com is simple and low-resource, but they also fit your price point.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Anaxite posted:

If you can get service from BuyVM, they've been advertized on LEB from time to time and are pretty good. Outside of scheduled maintenance I've had no problems. They also sell out super-fast (http://www.doesbuyvmhavestock.com/).

My buddy runs BuyVM, he mostly runs openvz and sticks a hell of a lot of vms on each host. He seems to have a lot of happy customers though, so if you're not doing much with your VM it's a good deal.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Anaxite posted:

I was with prgmr for a few years. They were pretty decent but it's a two-man show and some of their servers used to have what seemed like a lot of hardware/network issues.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Milkie Galore posted:

I was with prgmr for a few years. They were pretty decent but it's a two-man show and some of their servers used to have what seemed like a lot of hardware/network issues.
Is this before or after they got the gently caress out of HE Fremont

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Is this before or after they got the gently caress out of HE Fremont

I believe that was June 2011 (?) so mainly before (I was with them till August 2011)

or am I confusing it with the move from SVTIX to market post tower IDK

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
MPT is coresite san jose right?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Milkie Galore posted:

Which domain registrar is my best bet for a .com.au?

preferably one who takes paypal if possible, but if there's a dead cheap one who doesn't then that's okay too

http://www.ausregistry.com.au/registrars

Had good experiences with aussiehq.com.au. crazydomains.com.au are reputable as well. No idea about the paypal bit as well. Also remember that they are required to verify the business you are buying the domain for, with an ABN, ACN etc (though I seriously doubt any of them really check)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

Had good experiences with aussiehq.com.au. crazydomains.com.au are reputable as well. No idea about the paypal bit as well. Also remember that they are required to verify the business you are buying the domain for, with an ABN, ACN etc (though I seriously doubt any of them really check)

thanks for this - netregistry.com.au also looked good. namescout.com allow foreigners to register and don't check ABN, I have no idea how they manage this though

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm not sure if this is the thread for this, but I'm going to register a domain for my blog that I use to post photos I take and songs I make. Nothing fancy, not concerned with SEO bullshit, but I'm concerned with what domain extension I should go with.

The .com and .net options are taken. Should I buy the .org? The other options I was considering were .co and .me. Everything else just feels too esoteric for the regular web surfer.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
.co is obnoxious for normal people (and some networks filter .co and .cm due to phishing abuse..)

Is it actually nonprofit? can you use a hyphen? etc..

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
.org is often used for individuals and nonprofit stuff. If your blog isn't commercial then it's not a bad choice.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'd rather not use any hyphens, as they tend to confuse or get forgotten by the average joe. I'm not really selling anything, so .org would be ok. I've seen quite a few sites with .org domains that sell stuff or have affiliate ads on them anyway...

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Best practices though, are that .com is for commercial sites, .net is for network service providers, and .org is for non-profits.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

thelightguy posted:

Best practices though, are that .com is for commercial sites, .net is for network service providers, and .org is for non-profits.

20 years ago

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

hypersleep posted:

I'd rather not use any hyphens, as they tend to confuse or get forgotten by the average joe. I'm not really selling anything, so .org would be ok. I've seen quite a few sites with .org domains that sell stuff or have affiliate ads on them anyway...

The conventions don't really apply that much anymore, and .org is perfectly fine for a personal site. That said, if the URL under .com and/or .net are active sites, a .org variant would probably be more confusing than a hyphenated but unique .com.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

rawrr posted:

The conventions don't really apply that much anymore, and .org is perfectly fine for a personal site. That said, if the URL under .com and/or .net are active sites, a .org variant would probably be more confusing than a hyphenated but unique .com.

The .com is just a default 1&1 page and the .net is a semi-abandoned blog hosted on Blogger. I think I'd be safe with the .org...?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

thelightguy posted:

no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_top-level_domain#Unrestricted_gTLD

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I just set mine up on amazon web services. One EC2 instance on their free tier with an elastic IP pointing to it. My first month's bill was only $1.60 and most of that was probably compute cycles from installing stuff.

They also have a new service called Glacier they just put up for low cost storage if you use it for backups, but since it is so new there probably aren't any options for tools to use with it yet.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

A lack of enforcement of best practices does not negate the fact that they are still best practices.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
edit: I guess this turned into a mini-review; feel free to ask any questions and I will answer or provide screenshots if I can.

Well so far my experience on Dediserve seems to be going well. It is quite nice being able to dynamically adjust your VMs out of a common resource pool and their systems seem really fast.

I looked at Rackspace, Godaddy, Amazon, etc but they all had limitations to their cloud/virtual setups, like no free backups, no ability to snapshot, no built-in firewall, etc. Some also seem to oversubscribe (eg Godaddy's horrible VPS). I also didn't want to just buy a dedicated server and be subject to hardware failures - the dediserve VMs hot-migrate to other hypervisors for maintenance and automatically reboot on another hypervisor if there is any hardware issue. The dual-redundant SANs are fast - they say they have an SSD caching layer and the performance seems to agree with that. I also like the automatic backup snapshot feature - it takes a weekly snapshot and gives you an interface to download your snapshots as virtual hard drives. You can also take snapshots at-will and convert a snapshot into a system template to deploy additional nodes which is a huge time saver.

They claim they will migrate you off your shared hosting/VPS/etc for free, including backup/restore of your DB, installing php, or whatever else... I can't say anything about that as I prefer to keep control of it myself so I didn't use it.

Support is excellent with one caveat - a fellow named David Reynolds was working weekend graveyard shift while I was evaluating them and I had several issues but within minutes of my complaining over on web hosting talk an excellent fellow named James contacted me to make sure all my issues were resolved. They seem really eager to help and everyone I've had interactions with (except David) took the time to read my request, understand it, and provide helpful answers. Perhaps David was having a bad day or is new, I have no idea... but everything is working at this point and I have no complaints.

They are running a special for half-price for life on 10 nodes in the Dallas datacenter, so that's 200/month for 20 CPU cores, 10 GB RAM, 250GB SAN storage (>150MB/s speeds in my experience), 250GB NAS backup storage, and 7.5 TB of transfer. You can provision that any way you want, all as one machine, as a back-end SQL box with a couple of web front-ends and a load-balancer, or whatever else. They have a pretty good selection of Linux and Windows images but you have to request they enable the Windows images if you have your own licenses. You can dynamically reallocate memory and processors supposedly, but IIRC disk resizes require a reboot of the VM.

They have Ireland, London/UK, and Dallas DCs and are bringing Chicago, NYC, German, and California DCs online in the near future. If you need geographic redundancy they offer it, including the ability to fail-over to a spare where they handle all the routing. No idea what that costs as it's a bit too much for my needs right now.

They offer a REST API for managing everything and an iOS/Android app for controlling your VMs (for those familiar with the OnApp platform you'll recognize it). You can create multiple users and assign them different permissions, so you can ensure a customer or dev doesn't accidentally delete your production VMs. I myself am using this to give my father his own web VM while we share the SQL back-end and it is much more comfortable knowing he can't mess everything up accidentally.

I am using their DNS platform, which is supposedly geographically distributed and scalable... up to 50 domain names are included for free so this didn't cost me anything. I don't have any high-load DNS issues so I can't say how it performs under stress. They also have a CDN deal, which is $6.56/month plus $0.06/GB of usage, but again I haven't used that as of yet so I can't say much about it other than the price seems better than a lot of other hosting providers.

Promo Code: DALLAS50OFF

Website is here. Signup over here here.

*If* you decide to go with dediserve *and* want to give me some discounts on my hosting you can use my referral link but feel free not to. The affiliate program is 10%, but the price is the same to the end-customer regardless of whether you use an affiliate link or not.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

thelightguy posted:

A lack of enforcement of best practices does not negate the fact that they are still best practices.

It's no longer a case of lack of enforcement - it's literally become the official ICANN line on the matter

"best practice" doesn't mean poo poo btw, stop saying it

If you mean a) .org is less catchy than .com, b) .org may make people think "organisation", say that. These are the real reasons not to choose .org. Not some mystical "best practice" bogeyman horseshit. Cheers

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Milkie Galore posted:

It's no longer a case of lack of enforcement - it's literally become the official ICANN line on the matter

"best practice" doesn't mean poo poo btw, stop saying it

If you mean a) .org is less catchy than .com, b) .org may make people think "organisation", say that. These are the real reasons not to choose .org. Not some mystical "best practice" bogeyman horseshit. Cheers

Wow, who pissed in your cheerios?

I wonder, do you make RS-485 balanced serial cables with black and white as the signal pair and red as the ground just to spite everyone? Because that is literally what "best practices" is about. Not confusing the gently caress out of everyone else because you want to be a special snowflake and ignore the implied standards.

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 27, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

thelightguy posted:

Wow, who pissed in your cheerios?

I wonder, do you make RS-485 balanced serial cables with black and white as the signal pair and red as the ground just to spite everyone? Because that is literally what "best practices" is about. Not confusing the gently caress out of everyone else because you want to be a special snowflake and ignore the implied standards.

no but he's right on all his points.

1992 called. It wants its best practices back.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

DNova posted:

no but he's right on all his points.

What, that you should really only use .org if you're a non-profit, because that's what everyone expects even though ICANN stopped giving a drat several years ago? Exactly what I said, in other words?

We're all saying the same goddamn thing here.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

thelightguy posted:

What, that you should really only use .org if you're a non-profit, because that's what everyone expects even though ICANN stopped giving a drat several years ago? Exactly what I said, in other words?

We're all saying the same goddamn thing here.

No not at all.

jdiboise
Jul 26, 2012
I have a Mac Mini sitting in a data center that I'm trying to take better advantage of. Currently, all it's doing is hosting email for a single domain. I'd like to potentially host two more websites, and associated SQL databases on the same mini. Can I do all of this across a single IP address, or do I need more IP addresses from my host.

What terms should I google to teach myself how to do this? Should I be asking this question in the Mac Software thread?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

You can do it all with one IP address.

Let's start with the simple stuff: Do you currently have a webserver installed? If so, which one? (Examples: Apache2, lighttpd, nginx)

E: Also, while you don't necessarily need it, homebrew gives you access to tons of OS X ports of *nix utilities, servers, and applications. It's a fantastic add-on for any OS X server.

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 27, 2012

jdiboise
Jul 26, 2012

thelightguy posted:

You can do it all with one IP address.

Let's start with the simple stuff: Do you currently have a webserver installed? If so, which one? (Examples: Apache2, lighttpd, nginx)

E: Also, while you don't necessarily need it, homebrew gives you access to tons of OS X ports of *nix utilities, servers, and applications. It's a fantastic add-on for any OS X server.

The mini is running 10.7.4 server and is very close to stock. I believe the only additional piece of software I've installed on the mini is Little Snitch, so I believe it's running the Apache web server.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Try here.

In order to run multiple websites off of one apache instance you configure "vhosts" for each domain.

And as for a database, MySQL has an installer package for OS X that makes it really easy to set up.

http://databases.about.com/od/shareware/ht/Installing-Mysql-On-Mac-Os-X-10-7-Lion.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

thelightguy posted:

"Best practice is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules." - Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean