Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That infinite lava bucket you get in Creative mode can rapidly do a lot of damage :stare:

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

That sounds amazing, kas. Now, if they would implement something like this for other blocks, I'd be in heaven. I want my shimmering pink, cyan and green hell fortress :allears:

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
Is the most recent snapshot stable enough to play on? I really want the new corner stairs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

KrautHedge posted:

Is the most recent snapshot stable enough to play on? I really want the new corner stairs.

Played several hours with it with no problems, both single player and hosting a server for my roommate.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

just keep scrolling posted:

That infinite lava bucket you get in Creative mode can rapidly do a lot of damage :stare:

I loving love doing this after a long day. :allears:

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Do you guys know of any goon servers that do that "one life deathmatch" type thing where it's vanilla and you try to outlive everyone else?

Murdershoe
May 8, 2009

Umph posted:

Do you guys know of any goon servers that do that "one life deathmatch" type thing where it's vanilla and you try to outlive everyone else?

I think Goonimati host Ultra Hardcore matches every now and again.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376046

e: fondue seems to be having server problems atm.

Murdershoe fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 26, 2012

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Murdershoe posted:

I think Goonimati host Ultra Hardcore matches every now and again.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376046

e: fondue seems to be having server problems atm.
We're offline for at least another week. :(

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone know what will happen if I convert a 1.7 map to the current version and then explore the boundaries? Will it generate seamlessly new land or will it be glitched?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Glitches like mad, I want to say 1.8 had a massive terrain generation overhaul, and then the tweaking and addition of biomes later on will make the stuff on said terrain generate weirdly, as well.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Allen Wren posted:

Glitches like mad, I want to say 1.8 had a massive terrain generation overhaul, and then the tweaking and addition of biomes later on will make the stuff on said terrain generate weirdly, as well.

Yeah, and the sea level will be off.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
So I guess the only way to do it would be to edit it out and place it on a new map manually then? What would be the best way to go about this? MCEdit?

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
The biggest problem I'm having at this point is deciding how I want my main base to look. I don't want to just crib off of some player-celebrity's design, like copying the main strokes from Monkeyfarm or Docm77.

I think I should try to build a complex where I am bringing the aesthetic of another terrain into my area. I'm setting up in an extreme hills zone, so maybe a big ring base where I have a giant-jungle-tree plantation on the roof, like I'm terraforming.

I dunno. I like Monkeyfarm's base because it is highly functional, low-resource (except for all that drat glass), and gives him tons of space. Not sure what to do.

Anyone have some broad-strokes suggestions? I'm planning it to be inside this grey ring, because it's pretty much the only flat area to work with, and sits on top of a shallow abandoned mine I found.

(click for big)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I stole the idea of a double-walled wall around a large area in the plains that i leveled.

Now i built a couple houses in a style i like for villagers, as well as my house overlooking. I ended up using a main entrance, a back room with furnaces / crafting tables, and a basement area that holds my storage / brewing stand / enchantment room.

Upstairs (ladders in a tower really) is my bedroom with cool windows.

Everything else is external. I decided to use a ladder to access a large excavated area underneath everything that holds a modest wheat farm,mellon farm, and soon to be chicken reactor. Also the entrance to my mine that bisects a mineshaft.

I have a few potions and golden apples to try and convert a couple villagers. And i lured a few pigs and cows in for food / leather that i breed. those will eventually get pushed underground as well.

Simple, clean living :/ But i crave a huge monstrosity of a house, it would be too much work for too much empty space.. i would rather decorate the entire area first.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

The biggest problem I'm having at this point is deciding how I want my main base to look. I don't want to just crib off of some player-celebrity's design, like copying the main strokes from Monkeyfarm or Docm77.

I think I should try to build a complex where I am bringing the aesthetic of another terrain into my area. I'm setting up in an extreme hills zone, so maybe a big ring base where I have a giant-jungle-tree plantation on the roof, like I'm terraforming.

I dunno. I like Monkeyfarm's base because it is highly functional, low-resource (except for all that drat glass), and gives him tons of space. Not sure what to do.

Anyone have some broad-strokes suggestions? I'm planning it to be inside this grey ring, because it's pretty much the only flat area to work with, and sits on top of a shallow abandoned mine I found.

(click for big)

I'm kind of in the same boat. I love watching all those LPs but they sort of poison the well for me. I would choose some elements they have that you really like and build on it. In the map you are on Id definitely incorporate the water somehow...that is one area where you could crib off monkeyfarm. I do like your idea of trying to incorporate different biomes into your area; I'd definitely try to roll with that.

Since I'm new to the game I am liberally stealing various farm ideas and such from the youtube crowd and then trying to incorporate them into the aesthetic I'm trying to work with; basically a rustic, farm community type look for the above ground portion. Below ground I'm still flailing a little as to the look the I'm trying to achieve.

Roundboy posted:

I stole the idea of a double-walled wall around a large area in the plains that i leveled.

Now i built a couple houses in a style i like for villagers, as well as my house overlooking. I ended up using a main entrance, a back room with furnaces / crafting tables, and a basement area that holds my storage / brewing stand / enchantment room.

Upstairs (ladders in a tower really) is my bedroom with cool windows.

Everything else is external. I decided to use a ladder to access a large excavated area underneath everything that holds a modest wheat farm,mellon farm, and soon to be chicken reactor. Also the entrance to my mine that bisects a mineshaft.

I have a few potions and golden apples to try and convert a couple villagers. And i lured a few pigs and cows in for food / leather that i breed. those will eventually get pushed underground as well.

Simple, clean living :/ But i crave a huge monstrosity of a house, it would be too much work for too much empty space.. i would rather decorate the entire area first.

Youre basically the opposite of the concept I'm working with right now. I am putting all my farms above groud and then having all the goods flow to a central point in my cave so I can basically put everything in my chests without having to move. I've only got up a sugarcane farm and wheat farm so far but I'm pretty happy with the results. I also have a 2 chunk long slime area I'm slowly excavating down to bedrock that I'll link to the distribution system as well.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 27, 2012

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

(click for big)

Oo, that's a nice map. Mind posting a seed (and loc if it's terribly far from spawn)?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

(click for big)

Make it a hidden pirate town and widen the entrance to the ocean a bit over on the right.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Oh hell yeah. I hope we get something like this for regular worlds too.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

What is that? Can I make a superflat world out of TNT and redstone or what does it mean?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Dinnerbone is implementing custom superflat worlds.

For the block selection problem, he should just use the creative inventory.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Death Himself posted:

Make it a hidden pirate town and widen the entrance to the ocean a bit over on the right.

Get yourself in the mood with this :cool:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pollyanna posted:

Get yourself in the mood with this :cool:

I'd go with this myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwjYibP1ST4

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Iacen posted:

What is that? Can I make a superflat world out of TNT and redstone or what does it mean?
In that screenshot, the flat world generated from bottom to top will be 1 layer of bedrock, 20 layers of stone, 6 layers of dirt, 1 layer of grass, 1 layer of redstone torches, then 4 layers of TNT. The bottom layer of TNT would be ignited the moment you step into the world.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

If you can customize the height of the world then I guess that also means no more superflat worlds filled with slimes. In fact, I wonder if the underground structures will still generate as normal if you give them enough vertical space.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Oo, that's a nice map. Mind posting a seed (and loc if it's terribly far from spawn)?

Ok, but on one condition: You don't tell me anything about the map that's not in this image. I like surprises. In return, I'll do the same. Likely you won't need to travel to my new island, because the Epic Hills zone near the spawn has some sick features too, but it's near my server's spawn village, so we'll be searching there in earnest soon.

Spawn seed:

code:
Bicycle pump
Just like that, and remember the capital B. Enjoy!

Why did I go across the ocean from my spawn village? Because gently caress yes, giant base.

Death Himself posted:

I dunno about the pirate thing, because I like either minimalist or super sci-fi looking stuff, but gently caress yes, I'm going to open a bay entrance and build some colossi.

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 28, 2012

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I dunno about the pirate thing, because I like either minimalist or super sci-fi looking stuff, but gently caress yes, I'm going to open a bay entrance and build some colossi.

That mountain top is clearly the best place for a space elevator with airport elevator ground base

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Domattee posted:

That mountain top is clearly the best place for a space elevator with airport elevator ground base

:ssh: Space elevators are best tethered in the ocean. Which is why I'm planning an eventual ocean level super-farm, minecart elevator, sky base, and undersea mine. 150 block freefall through a hole in the ocean into a massive underground mine/temple.

But that's way down the line.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

:ssh: Space elevators are best tethered in the ocean. Which is why I'm planning an eventual ocean level super-farm, minecart elevator, sky base, and undersea mine. 150 block freefall through a hole in the ocean into a massive underground mine/temple.

But that's way down the line.

I kind of wish elevators were in the game officially in one form or another.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Dinnerbone and Jeb, churning out the new blocks and features. First up, ride and steer a pig using a carrot on a stick, courtesy of Dinnerbone;

Next, Jeb is adding in a pile of decorative blocks.

Finally, Jeb suggests that 1.4 be a Halloween update.

Does this mean the API will be out then or that the API is now pushed to 1.5?

fondue fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 28, 2012

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fondue posted:

Skulls on spikes.

EVERYWHERE.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

fondue posted:

Dinnerbone and Jeb, churning out the new blocks and features. First up, ride and steer a pig using a carrot on a stick, courtesy of Dinnerbone;

drat you guys. These two actually care about Minecraft.

:allears:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Locus posted:

drat you guys. These two actually care about Minecraft.

:allears:

Wow, nice features. Their dedication inspired me to come up with this thread title.

MineCraft Thread: Notch never loved the game, he only wanted it for its money!

or

MineCraft Thread: Doing much better now since it left Notch.

Too soon? :smith:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

PowerBeard posted:

Wow, nice features. Their dedication inspired me to come up with this thread title.

MineCraft Thread: Notch never loved the game, he only wanted it for its money!

or

MineCraft Thread: Doing much better now since it left Notch.

Too soon? :smith:

Give Notch some credit, it was his idea to hand things over to Jeb. But yeah, the game has gotten so much better since he left.

Or it's development has at least.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Infinitum posted:

Skulls on spikes.

EVERYWHERE.
Naw, we need decorative Creeper heads that 'Ssssssss' when you get close to them.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Give Notch some credit, it was his idea to hand things over to Jeb. But yeah, the game has gotten so much better since he left.

Or it's development has at least.
The "too soon" was a reference to the fact that his girlfriend broke up with him before Minecraft blew up, married him after it made him a fortune, and recently divorced him.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

It's always been evident that Notch is way more of a big-picture guy. I give him a lot of credit, including credit for knowing that he needed to delegate the creative direction of the game to somebody with... Creative direction.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

babies havin rabies posted:

It's always been evident that Notch is way more of a big-picture guy. I give him a lot of credit, including credit for knowing that he needed to delegate the creative direction of the game to somebody with... Creative direction.

Yeah, he did make the game and give it a lot of its early style and life. I give him full credit for that. But he still suffered from the same kind of stuff that a lot of creators get. They lose sight of what made the original good, they get burned out, and forget about how strongly other people care about it. It's really plain to see that at a certain point, he basically said to himself "eh, this is good enough, let's move on to other projects", at least on a subconscious level, long before he admitted it. And yeah, props for eventually turning over the reins to other people.

Sadly Notch is still pretty much screwing over Minecraft development by spending almost all of the Minecraft profits on things other than Minecraft development. Oh well. Still moving in the right direction, if slowly.

SMP
May 5, 2009

All these new decorative blocks, yet still no chairs and tables! :argh:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

That is why we have fence posts and pressure plates. And everyone sits on stairs you know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Elysiume posted:

The "too soon" was a reference to the fact that his girlfriend broke up with him before Minecraft blew up, married him after it made him a fortune, and recently divorced him.

Ah, I haven't really been following that bit of his life. I always wondered what happened to her but I figured something must have gone down when all the refrences to her dissapered from the loading screen messages.