Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

The budgets for those got smaller and smaller and I thought they called it a day after the 3rd one pretty much bombed...?

The second one had a larger budget then the first? And the third still had a pretty large budget of around 150 million.

Why is everyone saying this stupid poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Trump posted:

The second one had a larger budget then the first? And the third still had a pretty large budget of around 150 million.

Why is everyone saying this stupid poo poo?

Probably because we are in a LOTR thread.

I'd like to point out that the "kitchen sink" aproach gets less and less used as the books move on and they get much more specific and thematic. Most people are just more familiar with LthWatW.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

The Magicians Nephew is next.
Which is an indicator that nobody that makes those movies seems to know what they're doing. The The Voyage of the Dawn Treader heavily indicates that the Lady of the Green Kirtle is behind everything and even names Jill Pole. Then they decide to scrap all that and instead make a completely unrelated prequel. Not that I think that that movie is ever coming out because none of the Narnia movies have performed well at the box office.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Walden Media lost the Narnia film rights, but there's some moratorium until 2018, so no studio could make another Narnia movie until then if they even wanted to. There's no more Narnia movies coming, I don't know why anyone would think there is.

Is there some official announcement about a third Hobbit film? People have looked at me like I'm crazy when I said "the first of three is out this December; you (likely) won't see Smaug in it." They're convinced it's just one, which is certainly wrong, but I couldn't find anywhere but posts in here confirming the addition of a third.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Ville Valo posted:

Is there some official announcement about a third Hobbit film? People have looked at me like I'm crazy when I said "the first of three is out this December; you (likely) won't see Smaug in it." They're convinced it's just one, which is certainly wrong, but I couldn't find anywhere but posts in here confirming the addition of a third.

Did you try google?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057210
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/third-hobbit-film-confirmed-355817
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/07/third-hobbit-movie/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/30/the-hobbit-3-officially-announced

And the official statement.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/an-unexpected-journey/10151114596546558

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Ville Valo posted:

Good luck also explaining to non-Tolkien-nerds where the material to make up 3 films is coming from.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Good luck also explaining to non-Tolkien-nerds where the material to make up 3 films is coming from.

Good luck explaining to Tolkien-nerds where the material to make up 3 films is coming from. Even The Tolkien Prof is skeptical as to how they're going to pad out three films.

Episode 14 of 'Riddles in the Dark' podcast for reference. Obviously story spoilers if you haven't read any Tolkien.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think we're all going to eventually have to admit to ourselves what we already know to be true deep down inside that Jackson/Boyens/Walsh are going to be adding their own poo poo to the limited information in the appendices.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

kiimo posted:

I think we're all going to eventually have to admit to ourselves what we already know to be true deep down inside that Jackson/Boyens/Walsh are going to be adding their own poo poo to the limited information in the appendices.

Jackson added plenty of stuff to Lord of the Rings, so I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise for The Hobbit.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

kiimo posted:

Can't wait for the extras where Philippa Boyens smugly proclaims Tolkien would have loved her Gandalf/Galadriel/Radagast love triangle fanfiction.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Slate Action posted:

Jackson added plenty of stuff to Lord of the Rings, so I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise for The Hobbit.

Yes I know but I think everyone kind of dances around it because most of the stuff they added in LOTR was the most poorly-received. Just wait until the Trolls on Ice scene.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A scene where 13 Dwarves are tossed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

When you can't use the Silmarillion there's not that much extra material.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What was the new stuff they added to lotr?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

When you can't use the Silmarillion there's not that much extra material.

RotK has a huge appendix. I wonder what the legal line is for something in the Silmarillion but also the appedix. So if Character X is liested in a geneology can they use his likeness and tell a story just not in the silmarillion?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Zzulu posted:

What was the new stuff they added to lotr?

Elves showing up at Helms Deep
Arwen/Aragon relationship
Arwen at the flight to to ford

And a bunch of other small details.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Elves showing up at Helms Deep
Arwen/Aragon relationship
Arwen at the flight to to ford

Wargs attacking Theoden's army on the way to Helm's Deep.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't have a problem with any of those additions honestly

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Wargs attacking Theoden's army on the way to Helm's Deep.

Humor. Faramir's a dick. His dad is looney tunes.

edit: and a Mountain Dew scary ghost army.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

kiimo posted:

Humor. Faramir's a dick. His dad is looney tunes.

"That still only counts as one!" :black101:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Silmarillion contains the story of the LOTR so I can't imagine the legal restrictions on using people and stories that appear in both is very strong.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Slate Action posted:

"That still only counts as one!" :black101:

If anything the killing contest between Gimli and Legolas is so downplayed that it almost only appears in the extended scenes. And I liked that line because the movie had been so relentlessly grim and serious up until that point that any attempt at humor was welcome.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Saruman creating the Uruk-Hai, in fact even the method of creation is an addition. In the books it is implied that Saruman was breeding Orcs and Men to create them, though maybe showing dungeons full of kidnapped women pregnant with half-Orc children is a little too dark for PG13.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I personally had no problem with the humor portions. In fact the only thing I had a problem with was Faramir. I was absolutely on board with kicking anything to do with Tom Bombadil to the curb.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Alhazred posted:

If anything the killing contest between Gimli and Legolas is so downplayed that it almost only appears in the extended scenes. And I liked that line because the movie had been so relentlessly grim and serious up until that point that any attempt at humor was welcome.

I should have been more clear: I love that line. At this point, I'm pretty confident in Jackson's ability to successfully add things to the source material.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kiimo posted:

I personally had no problem with the humor portions. In fact the only thing I had a problem with was Faramir.

I don't really see why giving Faramir a personality was wrong.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

kiimo posted:

edit: and a Mountain Dew scary ghost army.

loving this. Horrible poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Ghost army was so dumb and bad. I was - as a viewer - so exhausted by that point it didn't really matter to me though. Looking back on it it is the weakest part of the whole thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

kiimo posted:

I personally had no problem with the humor portions. In fact the only thing I had a problem with was Faramir. I was absolutely on board with kicking anything to do with Tom Bombadil to the curb.

Shut your face.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I really wanted to see the scouring of the shire, that's probably my favourite part of Return of the King. The Hobbits return to The Shire confident as gently caress (and one of them is pretty much a giant) and then they clean house from those freaky goblin-men.

I'm sure they could have cut one of the other 15 different endings or the horrible ghost army and made room for this section.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I really wanted to see the scouring of the shire, that's probably my favourite part of Return of the King. The Hobbits return to The Shire confident as gently caress (and one of them is pretty much a giant) and then they clean house from those freaky goblin-men.

I'm sure they could have cut one of the other 15 different endings or the horrible ghost army and made room for this section.

I totally agree with you, I occasionally pick up ROTK just to read through Scouring of the Shire through the appendices. I can't help thinking that time would have been much better served in this and maybe combine some battles or something. Did we need that many battles in ROTK? What did we have like three?

Bombadilillo posted:

Shut your face.

LOL nice boots, Nancy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bombadil is a valor so powerful he just merrily does his own thing and can't be bothered with your petty "War of the ring".

Also, I haven't seen your Gandalf raising people from the dead with a wave of his hand. :colbert:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tom Bombadil is the literary equivalent of God-mode on a game. It just makes the playing field stupid. The entire Fellowship should have gone to the forest to ceaselessly implore him to wipe Sauron off the map.

Plus he's the biggest flower child of them all and I dislike the whole hippy angle in LOTR.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bombadil just wants to talk in iambic pentameter, gently caress Goldberry, and be left alone. As awesome as he is, he was too weird for the movies (and would also undermine the dramatic tension as millions of viewers would say... "hey just give the ring to this dude")

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kiimo posted:

Plus he's the biggest flower child of them all and I dislike the whole hippy angle in LOTR.

Probably the first time anyone has accused Tolkien of having a hippy angle. Wasn't he really annoyed of hippies calling him and asking if the balrog had wings?

(and would also undermine the dramatic tension as millions of viewers would say... "hey just give the ring to this dude")

Frodo actually asks Gandalf why they can't do that. But the whole point of the story is that you can't just hide the ring or give it to somebody for safekeeping, you have to destroy it.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 27, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bombadil just wants to talk in iambic pentameter, gently caress Goldberry, and be left alone.

This is the best synopsis of Bombadil ever.

kiimo posted:

Tom Bombadil is the literary equivalent of God-mode on a game. It just makes the playing field stupid. The entire Fellowship should have gone to the forest to ceaselessly implore him to wipe Sauron off the map.

I don't know how hippy he is. You could easily swing him into there. But he sings and gardens, more like demigod version of a hobbit then anything.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Probably the first time anyone has accused Tolkien of having a hippy angle. Wasn't he really annoyed of hippies calling him and asking if the balrog had wings?

Frodo actually asks Gandalf why they can't do that. But the whole point of the story is that you can't just hide the ring or give it to somebody for safekeeping, you have to destroy it.

He says that the ring is so far below Bombadil that he doesn't recognize its significance and he would eventually just lose it.

He also hold the ring, puts it on (does not disappear) and throws it into the air where the ring vanishes, Frodo freaks and Bombadil gives it back.

Anyone not familiar with the book version of Fellowship missed out in my opinion. But then, I like him more then the rest.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not saying Bombadil is hippy because of Tolkien, but all the art of him is. I hate hippy Tom Bombadil.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 27, 2012

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The best theory on bombadil is that he is not a valar but some kind of manifestation of God/Illuvatar and therefore does not interfere/give a poo poo about anything , even though that rule is subtly broken here and there by getting the ring to Bilbo and rezzing Gandalf etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sylink posted:

The best theory on bombadil is that he is not a valar but some kind of manifestation of God/Illuvatar and therefore does not interfere/give a poo poo about anything , even though that rule is subtly broken here and there by getting the ring to Bilbo and rezzing Gandalf etc

That sounds cool. I thought he was explicitly stated to be a valar.

• Locked thread