Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Shabadu posted:

So everything I thought I knew about encrusting was a lie. I over uncrusted some gloves and now I have a Haemetic Drain on and I have no idea how to get rid of it. Not to mention the sucker crust on my bolt eruptor.

Yeah I actually came here to ask about this. I encrusted my helmet with what was apparently way too much cheese. Now I've got this Haemetic Drain debuff x4, and I don't know how to get rid of it. It cut my total mana in half :( Plus it's got huge regen and health penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

Mace of Windu is crafted with Tinkering, the Asgaardian Stormhammer is crafted with Smithing. That's the biggest difference. (The Stormhammer also needs 7 Smithing, which can only be reached with either Clockwork Knight or having the Kronghammer, which is already NOTABLY BETTER than the Stormhammer)

Kronghammer has blasting damage on it. Due to the way damage is calculated, this winds up hurting your damage output vs. things with more than a couple of points of armor absorption.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Koldenblue posted:

Yeah I actually came here to ask about this. I encrusted my helmet with what was apparently way too much cheese. Now I've got this Haemetic Drain debuff x4, and I don't know how to get rid of it. It cut my total mana in half :( Plus it's got huge regen and health penalties.

Try taking the helmet off!

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

Try taking the helmet off!

Yeah, I took it off already, but the Haemetic Drain debuffs are still there. They've got no timer on them, and potions of purity, etc. don't get rid of the debuffs.

I didn't take it off sooner because I figured there must be some way to remove the debuff. Apparently not :(

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Koldenblue posted:

Yeah, I took it off already, but the Haemetic Drain debuffs are still there. They've got no timer on them, and potions of purity, etc. don't get rid of the debuffs.

I didn't take it off sooner because I figured there must be some way to remove the debuff. Apparently not :(

If you can manage to get your hands on a haemetic phylactery that should fix you. Paranormal Investigator's potion transmutation skill is a good source, otherwise they're just really really rare finds from alchemy rooms and such.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Saint Freak posted:

Happy countdown day :toot:

Thanks for reminding me! 35 minutes left.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 27, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

00:00:00

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I can't tell, is this going to be more a sim-city style game or a dwarf fortress style? Either way, I'm excited.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That sounds really rad. Wanna fumigate the poo poo out of some moon-fungus

Looks nice, too. I counted the dimensions, and I can confirm that there are three of them.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Deki posted:

I can't tell, is this going to be more a sim-city style game or a dwarf fortress style? Either way, I'm excited.

The blog post is tagged with "Dwarf Fortress" and there's a "losing is fun" callout, so I'm suspecting more DF-style. Which is fine by me; the big issue I've always had with DF is the outright hostile interface so seeing Gaslamp's take on it interests me.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Gaslamp needs to provide a way to give them my money for Clockwork Empires before I spend it on something stupid like food or bills.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

PC Gamer posted:

The system is being cooked up by Gaslamp’s Technical Director, Nicholas Vining, who dedicated some of his master’s thesis work to the topic.

This is the first master's thesis I actually want to read in my spare time. Is it publicly available? :)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
when is this out please take all my money gaslamp games

This sounds and looks seriously awesome, and DoD is one of my fav games of the year despite buying it on a whim without knowing anything about it. drat guys, you are smoothly rolling into Valve territory of awesome, deep and fun games, with loads of moddability/support along the line!

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
So when can we pre-order?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Deki posted:

More DF style. And yeah everyone, check out http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/clockwork-empires-a-preview-of-gaslamp-games-lovecraft-laden-steampunk-city-builder/#null

edit: devs are in IRC if you want to ask questions. Release date late-ish 2013 was said.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

'Dwarf Fortress for Neurotypicals'. You've sold me.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

AbDomen posted:

This is the first master's thesis I actually want to read in my spare time. Is it publicly available? :)

No, but you may want to look up a paper by Peter Wonka and Thomas Kelly on Procedural Extrusions. We'll have all the usual jankery of more screenshots and video up at some point, I'm sure.

To answer people's questions: yes, it's more like Dwarf Fortress than SimCity. It's *very* much inspired by Boatmurdered/Gemclod, in fact, and one of the things we're doing is adding built-in support for round robin games so that you guys can run a game with consecutive bureaucrats and post about it in the Let's Play forum. The trick is making it so that you want to do this...

Glad everybody's enjoying themselves. We're happy to answer questions, and will likely run a semi-open beta through SA the same way we did for Dredmor (or in conjunction with our own forums but for Slots For Goons or something.) That said, we're a ways away from that yet.

(I'm on the fence about getting Daynab to kick a new thread up for this or to keep talking here for a bit. Thoughts?)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'd say keep it here until something big happens like a cool trailer/demo/beta/playtrough/whatever.

And it sounds really awesome. Much love for the built-in switcheroo support. Inspiration from Boatmurdered can only lead to great things.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So when you plot out floorplans and such does this really have any impact in the game, or is all the building customization stuff mostly just aesthetic? One of the things that sets Dwarf Fortress apart from most building sims is its granularity. Compare it to, say, The Settlers: Settlers games have some fun city building gameplay in their own right, but it's all "plop a pig farm here, plop a blacksmith here" whereas in Dwarf Fortress you build the pig farm and the blacksmith tile by tile and can actually see how the game flows around your layouts. When you're ordering these buildings, are you just plopping down self-contained objects?

Another feature that Dwarf Fortress benefits hugely from is its concept of Z-levels; I do count an impressive number of dimensions, but the sample screenshots look pretty flat. Can you build multi-story buildings and watch your proles running up and down dangerously non-OSHA compliant stairways? Can you stick all your buildings on giant stilts and build ridiculous steampunk Ewok villages?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

So when you plot out floorplans and such does this really have any impact in the game, or is all the building customization stuff mostly just aesthetic? One of the things that sets Dwarf Fortress apart from most building sims is its granularity. Compare it to, say, The Settlers: Settlers games have some fun city building gameplay in their own right, but it's all "plop a pig farm here, plop a blacksmith here" whereas in Dwarf Fortress you build the pig farm and the blacksmith tile by tile and can actually see how the game flows around your layouts. When you're ordering these buildings, are you just plopping down self-contained objects?

Another feature that Dwarf Fortress benefits hugely from is its concept of Z-levels; I do count an impressive number of dimensions, but the sample screenshots look pretty flat. Can you build multi-story buildings and watch your proles running up and down dangerously non-OSHA compliant stairways? Can you stick all your buildings on giant stilts and build ridiculous steampunk Ewok villages?

Yes, there's impact. I'm not sure I agree that Dwarf Fortress is *that* linear - for instance, you still end up putting down the same geometry for the blacksmith shop and you still have to worry about getting your jeweller's store aligned so that you don't actually trap a dwarf in it... but it still basically functions as a simple entity.

Multi-storey buildings is what I'd like to see, and we can do this from a technology perspective; we're just playing with interface things right now trying to figure out if there's a coherent way to build them. If we can get away with it without it being unplayable, I'm in favour. I sort of think that the game builds *up* as opposed to DF which builds *down*. You can definitely have gantries between buildings, and people do have to go in and out of them to operate machinery and toil in the mines and all of that. There's also a very large emphasis on elaborate gear based construction and intra-factory plumbing.

If we don't start seeing LPs on here after we release, we haven't done our jobs right.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I'm still in awe over the announcement, it's like the greatest game concept I've wanted to play but never knew it. Thanks for making this a reality, Gaslamp.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Well, this announcement just sent me and three friends into a mess of flailing arms, because we all enjoy DF, ANNO and Simcity, and getting the chance to play such a game together in multiplayer is something we look very much forward to.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

I have a problem

http://i.imgur.com/8J0UT.jpg

It says to bring the item to a monolith, however there is none. I have explored the entire floor and pulled every lever, yet this grate hasnt opened, and it has a secret passage leading to a room. My build will grant me no movement spells untill late late game, am I screwed until then?

Also, what is the point of locked doors? They make no sense. Every time I see one I have to put down my picks, kick it, then pick them back up so I can have them for chests that matter. Why are they in the game if all they do is force you to micro your inventory every 5 seconds?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Isn't that it?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

HyperHopper posted:

Also, what is the point of locked doors? They make no sense. Every time I see one I have to put down my picks, kick it, then pick them back up so I can have them for chests that matter. Why are they in the game if all they do is force you to micro your inventory every 5 seconds?

In theory, you might not want to kick down all doors because you can't close them again, unlike picked doors, and there might be a zoo behind them that you're not ready for. In theory. I can count the times I've closed doors on one hand, but at least the option is there.

Me, I just don't care either way and smash chests when I'm out of picks. More splinters for the Splinter God.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

Nettle Soup posted:

Isn't that it?

Well that was retarded, thank you. Any idea on how to get to the room though?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Come back when you have an AoE that can knock down weak walls. (There's some books that can do this) or get an object moving skill I guess.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

e: nevermind, misunderstood your question

Smirr fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 27, 2012

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh god, take my money gaslamp, take all of it. :allears: And i just got off a crazy alchemist/technology stint with Thaumcraft, for you guys to announce this filled the little sadness that always comes after playing something amazing. :3:

Edit: A question, its the same universe/setting as dungeons of dredmor, right?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 27, 2012

nvining
May 30, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

Edit: A question, its the same universe/setting as dungeons of dredmor, right?

Nope. It's a whole, brave new world. There is a certain overlap because both Dredmor and CE contain ... well, what we'll just call "Gaslamp Things"; our weird little literary ticks, that sort of thing. So no, no Dwarves and Elves, no Lutefisk God, no Krong, no Dredmor, no Vlad Digula.

Instead, you get to look forward to things like the Holy Cog (and heated discussions by splinter groups about whether or not the Cog Pope is, in fact, the Anti-Cog), Lord Palmerstoke, various poets, Invisible Geometers, that sort of thing. There's overlap in the writing but that's mainly just the flavour of kool-aid we serve in the office.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Super excited for Round-Robin mode, the way it's described in the bullet points sounds like it was written exclusively to appeal to me and my friends.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Really? Lord Palmerstroke? Pinion the Elder was a much better prime minister.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I for one suggest burning anyone who is anti-holy cog at the stake :colbert:

This looks awesome, can't wait! Now hire me so I can be part of this awesome game company! :argh:

edit: Burn them on a giant cog.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Made a thread for Clockwork Empires: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503803&pagenumber=1

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

HyperHopper posted:

I have explored the entire floor and pulled every lever, yet this grate hasnt opened, and it has a secret passage leading to a room. My build will grant me no movement spells untill late late game, am I screwed until then?

The room you're in had two switches and two grated subrooms in it. You pulled the switch on the right, which opened the grated subroom on the right, but doing so makes the switch on the left disappear. The concept is that you're supposed to be choosing which subroom you open -- the reality is that you end up going for the one that doesn't have the Enraged Diggles in it, so it's not really much of a choice (I think the original intention and design was that it would be random which level opened which subroom).

If you want what's in the other room, you either have to come back when you have a way to get through/past the bars or else, as mentioned, when you have a way to hit the side of the subroom with an explosion (since I'm fairly certain those walls are breakable).

HyperHopper posted:

They don't force you to do anything. It's your decision not to just use your lockpicks on the doors. The doors are worth as much experience as chests to unlock, and the contents of chests aren't often good enough to worry about not having picks to unlock every one.

If you really hate having to deal with locked doors that much, get Burglary and take the first level-up of it, which allows you to open locked doors without expending your picks.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

Copycat Zero posted:

They don't force you to do anything. It's your decision not to just use your lockpicks on the doors. The doors are worth as much experience as chests to unlock, and the contents of chests aren't often good enough to worry about not having picks to unlock every one.

My logic is since the exp is the same, why would there be an option when chests are better in every way?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I got this game a long time ago and really wanna like it, but I keep letting myself be paralyzed by the skill selection and rerolling into a burnout. I usually get this way with games that let you build your own skillset. "YEAH THIS COMBO LOOKS FRIGGIN' AWESOME! ... but it's probably AWFUL! :saddowns:"

I get the feeling I'm overthinking this and will be fine cobbling something that suits my personal tastes and going from there, but just in case, are there ANY skilltrees that are just outright useless and is little more than a trap for new players? Usually these games have one of those, like Resilience in Dark Souls.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 27, 2012

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Got all the way to dungeon level 15 with a clockwork knight/comunist sort of build. Went to turn on fraps so i could record a win for my LP off in games. Save file corrupted, wouldn't load. Had to start again from floor 1.

You're killing my LP :argh:

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Copycat Zero posted:

The room you're in had two switches and two grated subrooms in it. You pulled the switch on the right, which opened the grated subroom on the right, but doing so makes the switch on the left disappear. The concept is that you're supposed to be choosing which subroom you open -- the reality is that you end up going for the one that doesn't have the Enraged Diggles in it, so it's not really much of a choice (I think the original intention and design was that it would be random which level opened which subroom).

Speak for yourself; I almost always opt for the diggles so I can harvest them for XP. The magic item in the other subroom is usually pretty worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

i am tim! posted:

I get the feeling I'm overthinking this and will be fine cobbling something that suits my personal tastes and going from there, but just in case, are there ANY skilltrees that are just outright useless and is little more than a trap for new players? Usually these games have one of those, like Resilience in Dark Souls.

That'd be Wand Lore.

• Locked thread