Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1z2C9cl6U

1.0 is here after over two years of Early Access!

There are a ton of changes since the last beta version, so check out the changelog here!
http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433992805/announcements/detail/912369907343747092

Mainly UI, balance and polish, as well as some end game stuff (Steam Knights!)

Clockwork Empires is a 3D Isometric Steampunk Sandbox Colony Management game developed by Gaslamp Games.

The game has been described as "Steampunk Dwarf Fortress meets Anno with Lovecraft Influences."

Features:

Take on the role of a Junior Bureaucrat (Colonial Grade), sent forth to seek fame, promotions, and natural resources to feed the ravenous maw of Imperial Industry & Commerce. Build a prosperous colony, fill it with magnificent factories worked by oppressed labourers, and harness the awesome power of steam through fearsome machines invented by determined men and women of Science! History is yours to seize for fame and fortune, for Science, and for the Queen and the glory of the Clockwork Empires!

• Build a colony and manage the characters who live in it, each with unique histories: The colony set in a Victorian steampunk era, as well as the lower, middle and upper class characters, have their own memories and unfolding futures which are shaped by your choices.

• Free-form goals: Every scenario is what you make of it. As you colonize an unknown land, objectives are given by “The Empire”, but you may choose to align with another faction - or none at all - if so you desire. There are rewards and consequences for each decision.

• Cosmic Horror, Factories, Booze, Science, Et Cetera: Complete with all the elements for an industrial revolution, a colonial society pushed too far will break down and unleash horrors such as cultists, marauding fish-people, axe murderers, and things darker still from Beyond the Stars.

• Featuring the new Dynamic Soundtrack Orchestra – the soundtrack that adjusts to Your Gameplay!

Media

You can find the latest development news on the blog, and they're always posted in this thread.

Four of us have accounts here (nvining, dgbaumgart, CitizenDaniel, and me) so if you have questions we'll be happy to answer, and we often read this thread for feedback.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Here's a detailed chart on our progress on the game since we launched in early access. It's been a really long road and it's come a long way: http://clockworkempires.com/development.html

Daynab fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 26, 2016

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Gaslamp games has consistently impressed me with the work they've done on Dredmor, so this is a day-one buy for me. I have no doubt they'll refine something that I've found impenetrable (Dwarf Fortress) and make it accessible, just like they did with roguelikes.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Oh, man, those sure are some nerd-friendly buzzwords.

I'm really excited this is coming from Gaslamp, because now I know it could be awesome. Can't wait to defend my city from cultists with flintlock pistols and giant metal spiders. Late 2013 seems so far away!

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
If folks have any questions, I'm happy to answer what I can.

Owing to the great success that the SA Goonrush Beta Test of Doom had for Dredmor, we'll likely do something similar again for CE, but that won't be for... well, a bit, let's say, owing to the fact that our codebase is basically on fire right now. :D

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

New “procedural extrusion” technology lets you design your colony the way you want! Buildings are procedurally generated and extruded directly from the aether to your specifications!

What does 'procedurally generated' mean in this context? 'We compressed these textures down so far that only MATH! can extricate them' is a lot less impressive than 'the shape and textures of new buildings are automagically tweaked to match the aesthetic and general griminess of the neighborhood they're being plonked down into'.

This is a probably-buy for me. I don't play much with Dredmor, but I like these folks and want to see them succeed.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Those screenshots look goofy as gently caress...

and that's a good thing.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

What does 'procedurally generated' mean in this context? 'We compressed these textures down so far that only MATH! can extricate them' is a lot less impressive than 'the shape and textures of new buildings are automagically tweaked to match the aesthetic and general griminess of the neighborhood they're being plonked down into'.

This is a probably-buy for me. I don't play much with Dredmor, but I like these folks and want to see them succeed.

You specify a blueprint on the ground. You tag each wall with a "profile", which designates the building material and the profile of the roof. We then automatically extrude the building based on this. End result: you choose what the building looks like. (Then you stick decorations and gameplay elements on it, hook it to the Steam Pipes, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhX79At0vng <-- this is not our system, but this is somebody else's implementation of the same algorithm we use. Ours does texturing, which his does not. So, yeah. Basically, if you want all your buildings to be octagonal Gothic Cathedrals, we'll accomodate you. If you just want to plunk down square megaliths, we got you covered. Want all your urchins to live in large, faux-Japanese pagodas? Got you covered. It's *very* cool stuff, and I'm really excited to be using it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Normally this would trigger several alerts due to the sheer amount of buzzwords, but after Dungeons of Dredmor I am optimistic.

Will inebriation be a significant gameplay mechanic?

It better be. :colbert:

nvining
May 30, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Normally this would trigger several alerts due to the sheer amount of buzzwords, but after Dungeons of Dredmor I am optimistic.

Will inebriation be a significant gameplay mechanic?

It better be. :colbert:

More accurately, booze is used to keep the Madness at bay. It cannot cause a citizen to unsee what horrors he has seen, but for a little while the sweet release of alcohol can be his....

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I quickly scanned the OP and was like "Oh, another attempt to clone Dwarf Fortress and slap some graphics on it :rolleyes:"

Then I saw it was Gaslamp Games behind it. Now I'm excited. Can't wait to see what you guys put together on this. I also love the steampunk meets Lovecraft vibe.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I spy a Clockwork Knight. Is this in the same gameverse as Dredmor? Will there be Dungeon of Dredmor you dispose political prisoners, I mean send forth adventurers into?

nvining
May 30, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

I quickly scanned the OP and was like "Oh, another attempt to clone Dwarf Fortress and slap some graphics on it :rolleyes:"

Then I saw it was Gaslamp Games behind it. Now I'm excited. Can't wait to see what you guys put together on this. I also love the steampunk meets Lovecraft vibe.

Welcome to loving Boatmurdered. :supaburn: :gibs:

EDIT: Fixed.

nvining fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 27, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

nvining posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhX79At0vng <-- this is not our system, but this is somebody else's implementation of the same algorithm we use. Ours does texturing, which his does not. So, yeah. Basically, if you want all your buildings to be octagonal Gothic Cathedrals, we'll accomodate you. If you just want to plunk down square megaliths, we got you covered. Want all your urchins to live in large, faux-Japanese pagodas? Got you covered. It's *very* cool stuff, and I'm really excited to be using it.

Holy cow, that is very cool stuff! Thanks for explaining that! :D

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

Welcome to loving Boatmurdered. :D

Just from the quick feature list up above, it looks like the Round-Robin mode is basically for succession games, which is a brilliant move if so. Now just make sure you can name all the little dudes and if the game turns out well you'll have Let's Plays all over the internet generating word of mouth for you!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

nvining posted:

You specify a blueprint on the ground. You tag each wall with a "profile", which designates the building material and the profile of the roof. We then automatically extrude the building based on this. End result: you choose what the building looks like. (Then you stick decorations and gameplay elements on it, hook it to the Steam Pipes, etc.)

I can't wait to see a video of your implementation in action.

nvining posted:

Welcome to loving Boatmurdered. :supaburn::gibs:
Fixed.
I expect no less.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nvining posted:

If folks have any questions, I'm happy to answer what I can.
Is there any way to speed up release to like right now? Because seriously :monocle::fh:

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

nvining posted:

More accurately, booze is used to keep the Madness at bay. It cannot cause a citizen to unsee what horrors he has seen, but for a little while the sweet release of alcohol can be his....

Of course! If you fudge it just a bit, those geometries might've been Euclidean. Yeah, that's it. No alien topology here.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

I spy a Clockwork Knight. Is this in the same gameverse as Dredmor? Will there be Dungeon of Dredmor you dispose political prisoners, I mean send forth adventurers into?

Not same universe, though some things may make a cameo as far as I know.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Daynab posted:

Not same universe, though some things may make a cameo as far as I know.

nvining posted:

Nope. It's a whole, brave new world. There is a certain overlap because both Dredmor and CE contain ... well, what we'll just call "Gaslamp Things"; our weird little literary ticks, that sort of thing. So no, no Dwarves and Elves, no Lutefisk God, no Krong, no Dredmor, no Vlad Digula.

Instead, you get to look forward to things like the Holy Cog (and heated discussions by splinter groups about whether or not the Cog Pope is, in fact, the Anti-Cog), Lord Palmerstoke, various poets, Invisible Geometers, that sort of thing. There's overlap in the writing but that's mainly just the flavour of kool-aid we serve in the office.

Because nvining said it rather well! :3: I have a guilty secret to admit actually, ive never touched dwarf fortress, never saw the reason to dive in. Fun to read about it and the stuff it causes. So this is the second time gaslamp's going to introduce me to a genre i had never considered until then.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Multiplayer steampunk graphics-having lovecraftian Dwarf Fortress? Sign me up.

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
Whoa, this announcement definitely exceeded my expectations, even as a hardcore Dredmorian/Lovecraftian! The whole thing sounds super awesome, late 2013 is indeed way too far away. One question for Daynab: is OSX support in the pipeline? Haven't seen any mention of it anywhere, sorry if I missed it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Considering the outstanding quality and ongoing dedication they've shown to Dungeons of Dredmor, this is so very easily a buy even if not quite a style of game I've any acclimatisation to.

I guess it is back to my pet theory that their 3rd game will be a Dredmor follow-up ascended to the level of an open, maddening world ala ADOM...

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gibbering Madness posted:

Whoa, this announcement definitely exceeded my expectations, even as a hardcore Dredmorian/Lovecraftian! The whole thing sounds super awesome, late 2013 is indeed way too far away. One question for Daynab: is OSX support in the pipeline? Haven't seen any mention of it anywhere, sorry if I missed it.

It does, it is mentioned in the press release in the Gaslamp Games site.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Late 2013

Aw noooooooooo!

cinn
May 13, 2011
so very excited for this. Gaslamp :allears:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Sweet, finally some news about project Odin! Let's read the article...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8vmXrLf1U

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Oh my god I love Dredmore and I love city-builder games, I am going to be all over this poo poo. :gizz:

quote:

Late 2013

:flaccid:

Please tell me the beta will be sooner rather than later.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

President Ark posted:

Oh my god I love Dredmore and I love city-builder games, I am going to be all over this poo poo. :gizz:

:flaccid:

Please tell me the beta will be sooner rather than later.

Nicholas said beta hopefully early 2013.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
This'll be a day one pre-order based on the developer alone.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Daynab posted:

Nicholas said beta hopefully early 2013.

For anybody who remembers the Dredmor beta, this will mainly consist of me - and now four other programmers - running around yelling "EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE!" And, you know, about eighty new builds per day.

On a Dwarf Fortress style simulation engine.

So, yeah. Good times but only for masochists.

EDIT: re-reading this, I'm realizing that's probably not a deterrent. Alright then!

nvining fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 28, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Dredmor is one of those games that, even if I didn't like it I would use it as an example of "indie" game development done right. Every few months I'll play through on a couple new characters and there is always a massive amount of new content to explore. Even more than the game, I've been impressed with the continued development, the DLC expansions have been fantastic and integrate perfectly in to the base game.

I love City Builders and this game looks snazzy.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

nvining posted:

For anybody who remembers the Dredmor beta, this will mainly consist of me - and now four other programmers - running around yelling "EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE!" And, you know, about eighty new builds per day.

On a Dwarf Fortress style simulation engine.

See, this is the way a beta should be. Nowadays it seems like most are effectively buggy demos, which is often a really bad idea in every way but saving a few bucks. :bahgawd:

Anyway, I absolutely loved Dredmore and the support it got post release, so this is a day 1 buy. Though it kinda sucks that day 1 is more than a year away...

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Can't wait for this to come out so I can give you guys all my monies. Love DF, love city builders, love Gaslamp 2013 is too far away!

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
As if your muscle diggle avatar weren't exciting enough! :swoon: Can't wait for this to come out.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
As someone who loved Dredmor, I wish you the very best nvining. You were always in the thread answering questions no matter how touchy the subject. I'll be picking this up day one (and hopefully squeezing into the beta).

nvining
May 30, 2011

For those of you who missed it, there is a massive and hideous 20-page speculation pile-up over on our forums, which contains a bunch of backstory hint:

http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/ominous-project-odin-speculation-thread.2147/

There is also a fairly menacing picture of a deer with something drilling into its head on our website, and a few other interesting pieces of Concept Art for the viewer who wishes to partake of such things. I'm much too lazy to round them up, though. :D

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Daynab posted:

[*]Round-Robin mode lets you share your Clockwork Empires with friends! Take turns running a colony directly into the ground then argue for fun-filled hours about whose fault it was! (Like Monopoly but with more exploding Zeppelins!)

This is very cool. Succession games are one of the most entertaining meta-games that have emerged from Dwarf Fortress. It's really awesome that you'll be integrating a similar concept directly into Clockwork Empires.

Echoing what everyone else said. After the fun I had with Dredmor, and the extensive work you did post release (FREE expansion pack?!) I'll buy anything you guys put out on release day on good faith alone.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

nvining posted:

As long as it doesn't gently caress up / crash my system, I'm okay with the game failing hilariously.

Given how many players I know without the "Suddenly The Dungeon Collapses" achievement, I'd say it's a part of the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

As long as it doesn't gently caress up / crash my system, I'm okay with the game failing hilariously.

Given how many players I know without the "Suddenly The Dungeon Collapses" achievement, I'd say it's a part of the charm.

What, you mean none of them? :P

(I think the appropriate achievement for this one should be "Suddenly, Dread Cthulhu" or something like that.)

• Locked thread