Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

"Who drank all the rum?" - Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

barbarianbob posted:

"Best practice is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules." - Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean

Captain Hector Barbossa says that line, though. :spergin:

Also, re: cheap VPSes. I've had a KVM VPS at bluevm for several months now, no complaints. Very reasonable pricing, and they don't care if I use IRC or use it for tunneling. 512MB of memory, some amount of processor and storage that is irrelevant to me, and 1TB of bandwidth for $8.99/month. A similarly specced OpenVZ VPS would be like $3.50 or something ridiculous.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 28, 2012

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

What's the difference between Open VS, KVM and Xen? Is there any practical difference to the user?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

blunt posted:

What's the difference between Open VS, KVM and Xen? Is there any practical difference to the user?

KVM and Xen emulate a full machine. OpenVZ isn't full emulation, so it has some theoretical speed advantages and some limitations.

In practice, I think OpenVZ service is more oversubscribed than the others. If you don't care much about that and don't need your own kernel, the user probably won't care.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
openvz requires that your host enable tun/tap if you want to use e.g. openvpn. Some will offer this some will not

also it counts memory usage in a loving stupid way that basically means you can't run java properly and heavily threaded programs will eat more ram than they should

Probably not enough of a reason to avoid it entirely (it's often cheaper than KVM/xen) but worth knowing about if you know you'll be using it for tomcat or whatever

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
OpenVZ also shares a kernel with all of the other "machines", as it's effectively a chroot jail.

If configured properly it won't let you do anything that will cause a kernel panic and crash everyone else's VPS, but it's something to take into consideration. It also means that you can't recompile the kernel, obviously.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Comradephate posted:

Also, re: cheap VPSes. I've had a KVM VPS at bluevm for several months now, no complaints. Very reasonable pricing, and they don't care if I use IRC or use it for tunneling. 512MB of memory, some amount of processor and storage that is irrelevant to me, and 1TB of bandwidth for $8.99/month. A similarly specced OpenVZ VPS would be like $3.50 or something ridiculous.

Tell me more about them, I've been with my VPS host for like 2 years, but at $40 a month I can get similar specs here for half that. It's just for hobby sites and stuff so I could stand spending a little less :)

Do they come with WHM or something similar, any limitations (like "inode limits") or anything else I should know about? seems to not be a lot of info on their site.

They have any specials, coupon codes, affiliate codes or anything?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
No, there's no cPanel/WHM, though if you secure a license from cPanel and can install it yourself, there'd obviously be no problem. It's definitely a barebones type service though - hence the barebones price.

I've not encountered any hidden limitations so far, but I only have experience with the KVM plan.

I haven't seen any coupon codes, though there is a thread on their forums that mentions a few. If you refer someone you get a free month, if you refer <some number> of people you get a free VPS of some description, I didn't really look into it.

Also, apparently you are entitled to 10GB of free backup space (I just now saw this on their forums) if you request it, so that's neat.

I definitely don't use mine for a lot, so I can't tell you how it handles a high load or anything like that, but for IRC, writing perl scripts, VPN, and occasionally FTPing some files, it's been great.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have one of the very cheap OpenVZ VPS instances at BuyVM and I tested running tinyproxy in transparent mode on it. What I found was that if I was doing things in more than one tab (i.e., multiple sites, many connections), many site elements would simply not load, or be completely broken in various ways.

Is this a limitation of the number of connections I can have at once that is being imposed by OpenVZ and/or BuyV, or is it a failure on my part in some way?

I fairly well know what I'm doing with tinyproxy for this use case, as I have set it up in the same way multiple times on regular machines with success. Not sure if I am overlooking anything on the VPS config though...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
ulimit, cat /proc/user_beancounters?

tinyproxy never performed well for me, I ended up just ssh tunneling or something on any system I used..

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Tinyproxy looks ghetto as hell, just use Apache.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I just need something simple and light to use for tunneling my traffic through ssh. If there's something better I'm open to suggestions. I used privoxy before and I seem to recall it worked better than tinyproxy, so I may switch back to it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
OpenSSH has a built-in SOCKS server that can be configured on both ends with just a flag on the client side, you shouldn't need a separate proxy.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

OpenSSH has a built-in SOCKS server that can be configured on both ends with just a flag on the client side, you shouldn't need a separate proxy.

welp. :downs:

thanks for this

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Does anyone have a bucket policy script for AWS S3 that effectively stops hotlinking? I can't find any that work.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Anybody have a reason not to jump in bed with VPS.net? I'm hosting a .edu on WordPress with ~10 subdomain sites, and another 3-4 WordPress installs for a couple legacy sites that haven't been assimilated by the big WP install yet.

Only things I require are a LAMP stack with burstable capacity (we do live streaming a couple times a year that gives us a 10-20x traffic bump) and 24x7 phone (this makes my boss happy).

So far VPS.net seems like a decent choice. Rackspace has been my ideal, but they're $200/mo higher than VPS, and keeping costs low is unfortunately one of the bigger drivers on this project.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody have a reason not to jump in bed with VPS.net? I'm hosting a .edu on WordPress with ~10 subdomain sites, and another 3-4 WordPress installs for a couple legacy sites that haven't been assimilated by the big WP install yet.

Only things I require are a LAMP stack with burstable capacity (we do live streaming a couple times a year that gives us a 10-20x traffic bump) and 24x7 phone (this makes my boss happy).

So far VPS.net seems like a decent choice. Rackspace has been my ideal, but they're $200/mo higher than VPS, and keeping costs low is unfortunately one of the bigger drivers on this project.

Don't have any personal experience with them but the best bet is to search for "vps.net" on WebHostingTalk. Best of luck!

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Hello goons, i got a java web project as part of my school work, one of the requirements is to have a CI server, the professor said something about Hudson. I could use some help inn specs and how to set up a the CI server i need, pref under 50$ a month, general advice would be nice too :)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fadderman posted:

Hello goons, i got a java web project as part of my school work, one of the requirements is to have a CI server, the professor said something about Hudson. I could use some help inn specs and how to set up a the CI server i need, pref under 50$ a month, general advice would be nice too :)
Can't you settle on http://travis-ci.org It works great (when GitHub isn't down).

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

ufarn posted:

Can't you settle on http://travis-ci.org It works great (when GitHub isn't down).

Thanks just what i needed, didn't know about that service and my googling did not lead me to it

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fadderman posted:

Thanks just what i needed, didn't know about that service and my googling did not lead me to it
It's the bee's knees - although the documentation is so-so, but I'm sure this or another thread will answer any questions that may arise. That or #travis on freenode.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

http://mashable.com/2012/09/10/godaddy-down/

GoDaddy's DNS servers got hax0red by anonymous or something.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Just another reason not to use GoDaddy for ANYTHING!!!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Godaddy ran into a software issue or something of their own fuckup. "Anonymous" tried to claim fault but isn't them.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

Godaddy ran into a software issue or something of their own fuckup. "Anonymous" tried to claim fault but isn't them.

That's probably what I would say too, but if it was anonymous and they say it wasn't, anonymous just might attack again.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Looks like GoDaddy's site switched to using Verisign's DNS services

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I reckon this is the best place to ask. I'm rather panicking here as the domain for an important site I own for the past five years went poof and disappeared. I thought I had transfered it into our newer hosting service way back in 2009 since they offered a registration for free, but apparently they either screwed pretty badly or I did because the domain turned out to not have been under their hold after all (or so they claim).

I have been with this new service for three years, so I assumed every time I paid my yearly bill I was also renewing the domain, but that wasn't the case, and all the extra time it had on file allowed it to last all this time until about yesterday. As such, I have no idea what registrar has been holding the domain for these past years.

This is what I get on a Whois Lookup now:

Created On:11-Sep-2012 14:30:45 UTC
Last Updated On:11-Sep-2012 20:45:18 UTC
Expiration Date:11-Sep-2013 14:30:45 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Atomicdomainnames.com LLC (R1475-LROR)
Registrant ID:SNA
Registrant Name:SnapNames.com, Inc.
Registrant Organization:SnapNames.com

So, I assume I can still pay to renew the domain and fix this situation before someone snags it. The problem is that I never heard of these Atomicdomainnames.com guys, or snapnames.com who appear to be the same entity. I've contacted them but haven't received an answer yet.

I probably should also get in touch with whatever registrar actually had the domain registration, but with only this whois info I have no idea where to follow the paper trail next. Is there a way to see the past whois history of a domain?

And also, does anyone ever went through something like this and wants to share some tips or recommendations?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 12, 2012

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Saoshyant posted:

I reckon this is the best place to ask. I'm rather panicking here as the domain for an important site I own for the past five years went poof and disappeared. I thought I had transfered it into our newer hosting service way back in 2009 since they offered a registration for free, but apparently they either screwed pretty badly or I did because the domain turned out to not have been under their hold after all (or so they claim).

I have been with this new service for three years, so I assumed every time I paid my yearly bill I was also renewing the domain, but that wasn't the case, and all the extra time it had on file allowed it to last all this time until about yesterday. As such, I have no idea what registrar has been holding the domain for these past years.

This is what I get on a Whois Lookup now:

Created On:11-Sep-2012 14:30:45 UTC
Last Updated On:11-Sep-2012 20:45:18 UTC
Expiration Date:11-Sep-2013 14:30:45 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Atomicdomainnames.com LLC (R1475-LROR)
Registrant ID:SNA
Registrant Name:SnapNames.com, Inc.
Registrant Organization:SnapNames.com

So, I assume I can still pay to renew the domain and fix this situation before someone snags it. The problem is that I never heard of these Atomicdomainnames.com guys, or snapnames.com who appear to be the same entity. I've contacted them but haven't received an answer yet.

I probably should also get in touch with whatever registrar actually had the domain registration, but with only this whois info I have no idea where to follow the paper trail next. Is there a way to see the past whois history of a domain?

And also, does anyone ever went through something like this and wants to share some tips or recommendations?

http://whois.domaintools.com/yourdomain.com
Click the registration tab. You'll see who the ICANN accredited registrar is. That is who you need to contact if the other companies don't respond to you.

Example:

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 12, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Unless I'm missing something obvious, that web site requires me to have a "Pro" account (which isn't cheap and requires them to be handling my CC) to see that information.

vvvv considering the forum's public, I don't want to tell the world the domain expired. I'll PM you, then.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 12, 2012

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Unless I'm missing something obvious, that web site requires me to have a "Pro" account (which isn't cheap and requires them to be handling my CC) to see that information.

What domain, PM if you want/can?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Saoshyant posted:

vvvv considering the forum's public, I don't want to tell the world the domain expired. I'll PM you, then.

Ahh, didn't realize I was logged in. PM me your domain name and I'll help you out. I've helped dozens of Goons regain control of their domains.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Just wondering if anyone can make any recommendations for an Australian-hosted managed-VPS? Price is a consideration but not at the expense of a decent uptime and support service. Needs to be Linux (the particular distro I'm not overly fussed about but Ubuntu 12 at least would be nice).

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've found Zettagrid.com.au to be very responsive support wise. I'm sure they could help you out with managed whatever you like. They're also one of the few VPS hosts around to run VMWare infrastructure, and have locations in both Perth and Sydney.

I ended up going with some colo space in GlobalSwitch and a bunch of real hardware, but I did a 30 day trial with them and found it all to be in very good order.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

BurgerQuest posted:

I've found Zettagrid.com.au to be very responsive support wise. I'm sure they could help you out with managed whatever you like. They're also one of the few VPS hosts around to run VMWare infrastructure, and have locations in both Perth and Sydney.

I ended up going with some colo space in GlobalSwitch and a bunch of real hardware, but I did a 30 day trial with them and found it all to be in very good order.

Hmm, I can't get their free trial to work - the promo code says it's "Already used".

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Gnack posted:

Hmm, I can't get their free trial to work - the promo code says it's "Already used".

The most likely explanation is that it was set up on their end with a limited number of uses - just contact their support.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Comradephate posted:

The most likely explanation is that it was set up on their end with a limited number of uses - just contact their support.

Yeah that's what I'm guessing, have sent a message to their support. (Pretty lovely though considering they still advertise the code and the free trial all over their web site).

Edit: For the record they sorted the problem out quickly and I'm all set up with the free trial - all seems to be going smoothly so far!

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 14, 2012

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Has anyone tried DataShack yet? Their server pricing looks amazing, though someone told me they haven't been around long.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
They are reliable & etc -- support is nice. I have two boxes there, performance is overall very good. Initial setup may take up to a week. Huge order waves anytime they have stock.

You have zero handholding, hope you don't break anything. You're on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

DarkLotus posted:

Ahh, didn't realize I was logged in. PM me your domain name and I'll help you out. I've helped dozens of Goons regain control of their domains.

I have a similar question to ask -- the domain www.(myname).com is currently owned by someone and has been sat on for several years with no site up except a picture of a kid holding a hockey trophy. I am a freelance professional and have been thinking about putting a portfolio online, and www.(myname).com would be good to have. I had it registered for a few years, maybe 2005-2007, but when I let it lapse apparently someone bought it (someone with the same name as me? my name is not particularly common). Not to take advantage of your generosity, but what sort of process might I go through to contact the people who are sitting on the domain? All I get through the general WHOIS stuff I find online is that it was registered through Domains By Proxy LLC through GoDaddy.com.