Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

It could also have been an ATM skimmer
Most probably what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

Hey, are there any good Google Tasks apps for OSX? There's four in the App Store, but three are just browser windows in the menu bar, and the other one has like a two star rating. I just want something basic that stays in my dock (not the menu bar! I have more bullshit in my menu bar than I do in my dock at this point :argh:).

I was looking for one too, I couldn't find anything decent. I ended up using Fluid to make a site-specific browser, and pointed it at Google's mobile page for Tasks (https://mail.google.com/tasks/ig). It does the job.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

eames posted:

In light of the current 0-day Java vulernability, here’s how to temporarily disable it on Mac OS X:

Safari: Click Preferences, and then the Security tab (uncheck “Enable Java”).

Google Chrome: Open Preferences, and then type “Java” in the search box. Scroll down to the Plug-ins section, and click the link that says “Disable individual plug-ins.” If you have Java installed, you should see a “disable” link underneath its listing.

Firefox: Click Tools, Add-ons, and disable the Java plugin(s).

The vulernability is only for Java 1.7, which you will only have on OS X if you manually installed it from Oracle.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

echobucket posted:

The vulernability is only for Java 1.7, which you will only have on OS X if you manually installed it from Oracle.

And if you don't know what version you have, open up a Terminal and do the following:

imac:~ $ java -version
java version "1.6.0_33"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_33-b03-424-11M3720)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.8-b03-424, mixed mode)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Apple Mail + Gmail

How do I get rid of this [Gmail] folder:

Expanding it (left arrow) doesn't show any unassigned folders. It's annoying because I guess I'm a bit OCD about this stuff. It won't let me right click and delete.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apple Mail + Gmail

How do I get rid of this [Gmail] folder:

Expanding it (left arrow) doesn't show any unassigned folders. It's annoying because I guess I'm a bit OCD about this stuff. It won't let me right click and delete.
As far as I know, you can't. That's where Gmail's system folders go if you have them enabled in Gmail settings (e.g. 'All Mail', 'Starred' or 'Important' if 'show in IMAP' is checked here). If you have multiple accounts set up it'll appear under a collapsible subheading - this is how mine looks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I got all excited because apparently the GIMP is a native OS X app now.

Then I downloaded it and saw this open dialog box.

:rolleyes: Never mind.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

haha did they seriously reimplement the open dialog?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Martytoof posted:

haha did they seriously reimplement the open dialog?

I think they are just using a GTK->OS X library, so the only advantage this buys you is you don't have to have X11 anymore.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Three things are always certain: death, taxes, and the GIMP being terrible.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hasn't the answer been "just get Pixelmator" for a while now?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

There's just a couple things that I go back to Gimp to do but I'm hoping for the day to come where Pixelmator does it all.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

edit: The Gimp

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

echobucket posted:

I got all excited because apparently the GIMP is a native OS X app now.

Then I downloaded it and saw this open dialog box.

:rolleyes: Never mind.

Can't be worse than SeaShore, can it?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
if you install snow leopard with rosetta and then upgrade to Lion, you keep Rosetta functionality. Is this true with Mountain Lion as well?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Bob Morales posted:

Can't be worse than SeaShore, can it?

What's so bad about seashore?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zenostein posted:

What's so bad about seashore?

It seems to be missing a lot of features.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

carry on then posted:

Hasn't the answer been "just get Pixelmator" for a while now?
I got Pixelmator for $15 when it was one sale and my quick review: It's a little confusing at first but then you get used to it. It's no photoshop but it's legal and in the App Store and totally worth it when you're too old to still be pirating things. Totally worth it over Seashore or GIMP.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HolySwissCheese posted:

I got Pixelmator for $15 when it was one sale and my quick review: It's a little confusing at first but then you get used to it. It's no photoshop but it's legal and in the App Store and totally worth it when you're too old to still be pirating things. Totally worth it over Seashore or GIMP.
I realize it's still a lot of money to some people, but you can currently get Photoshop CS6 for $249:

http://www.adorama.com/ABPSCS6M.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_1892283

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

HolySwissCheese posted:

It's still $14.99, I think through the end of Back-to-School time, so not much time left. I finally bought it as a complement to Acorn. My needs are modest, and for $15, who the hell was I to say no to inexpensive Pixelmator?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone know how Photoshop Elements is these days?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Why not download the 30-day free trial and decide for yourself?

Its current system requirements:

Adobe posted:

Mac OS

Multicore Intel® processor
Mac OS X v10.5.8 through v10.7
1GB of RAM (2GB for HD video functions)
4GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
1024x768 display resolution
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7 software required for multimedia features
Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

spoon daddy posted:

if you install snow leopard with rosetta and then upgrade to Lion, you keep Rosetta functionality. Is this true with Mountain Lion as well?

No, ML does not support Rosetta (PowerPC apps). I am pretty sure Rosetta will not work in Lion either, even if you copied it over. Are you sure it was doing what you thought it was doing?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I realize it's still a lot of money to some people, but you can currently get Photoshop CS6 for $249:

http://www.adorama.com/ABPSCS6M.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_1892283

Dumb question, but software isn't tied to a country, right? I'm in the UK and, holy poo poo if this'll work, Photoshop CS6 usually costs us Ł667 ($1050).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tenterhooks posted:

Dumb question, but software isn't tied to a country, right? I'm in the UK and, holy poo poo if this'll work, Photoshop CS6 usually costs us Ł667 ($1050).
I don't believe there's any form of regional license, no. As long as Adorama can get it to you, you should be fine to purchase it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Well, Apple can suck my balls. I just tried to go to Safari's Activity window to download a youtube vid and what the gently caress, it ain't there no more. Why remove such a useful feature? (Yes, feedback already submitted.)

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

So I just bought a MBA to use for work and I've never had a mac before, basically what I'm wondering about is it a good idea to buy Office for mac considering I'll have to deal with a ton of doc, ppt and pdf files?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Good idea, yes. Nothing beats the real deal for Office especially if you have to deal with a lot of its files. Use Preview or whatever the browser includes (assuming Chrome/Safari) for most of your PDFs. Sometimes there might be this crazy Adobe PDF requiring thing in a PDF but you can break out Adobe Reader for these special occasions.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Totally worth it and it's a good piece of software on OSX these days. Sure I do like Notes/Pages/Keynote and all the other stuff Apple brought out, but in the end the full compatibility with everyone else on the planet makes Office the better choice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TACD posted:

As far as I know, you can't. That's where Gmail's system folders go if you have them enabled in Gmail settings (e.g. 'All Mail', 'Starred' or 'Important' if 'show in IMAP' is checked here). If you have multiple accounts set up it'll appear under a collapsible subheading - this is how mine looks.

Yeah you can:

But I don't use folders/labels, and in Gmail in the imap settings I hid the default folders like all mail from showing up in imap.

e: I need a good free/cheap program that can make vector images. Suggestions?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
There's Inkscape but it requires X11. That's free.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah you can:

But I don't use folders/labels, and in Gmail in the imap settings I hid the default folders like all mail from showing up in imap.
I tried this, and it did indeed make the [Google Mail] folder disappear. Along with all of my emails. Do you have to recreate the Inbox etc under [Google Mail]/Inbox and set up filters on the web side to redirect everything to make this work? Or am I missing something?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Well, Apple can suck my balls. I just tried to go to Safari's Activity window to download a youtube vid and what the gently caress, it ain't there no more. Why remove such a useful feature? (Yes, feedback already submitted.)

That was always a pain in the rear end anyhow. I use clicktoplugin which allows you to right-click to download and save the video.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TACD posted:

I tried this, and it did indeed make the [Google Mail] folder disappear. Along with all of my emails. Do you have to recreate the Inbox etc under [Google Mail]/Inbox and set up filters on the web side to redirect everything to make this work? Or am I missing something?

No, I've never messed with filters or labels or anything at all.

Going by what I remember, in that [Gmail] folder there should be your standard folders like Inbox, Sent, etc. You're going to want to select say the [Gmail]/Inbox folder, and then Menu -> Mailbox -> Use This Mailbox For -> Inbox, and do the same for Trash and Sent. There should be other mailboxes left over (like All Mail, Important Messages, etc., the other default Gmail folders) and for those I just went to the Gmail settings and disabled them for IMAP, so that there were no other folders listed under [Gmail] anymore. Then I put [Gmail] in that path thing and all my emails disappeared but I just did Mailbox -> Rebuild (or Mailbox -> Synchronize, I forgot) and everything showed up again.

I should say that I don't archive emails, just delete, or use folders/labels though, so this is perfect for me.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
So, I did the Mountain Lion upgrade from Snow Leopard last night and I'm still on the fence about this. I like the new look of mail and the icloud synching and all but the reduced battery time and other iOS features don't excite me all that much. I'll give it a few more days before I decide if I go back to Snow Leopard or not. The new gestures are fun though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IceLicker posted:

So, I did the Mountain Lion upgrade from Snow Leopard last night and I'm still on the fence about this. I like the new look of mail and the icloud synching and all but the reduced battery time and other iOS features don't excite me all that much. I'll give it a few more days before I decide if I go back to Snow Leopard or not. The new gestures are fun though.

How much battery time did you lose? Why would you go back to Snow Leopard?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

IceLicker posted:

You can't stay on old OSes forever. You should just learn to accept the changes and move on. You'll have to move to a newer OS with these features eventually.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

No, I've never messed with filters or labels or anything at all.

Going by what I remember, in that [Gmail] folder there should be your standard folders like Inbox, Sent, etc. You're going to want to select say the [Gmail]/Inbox folder, and then Menu -> Mailbox -> Use This Mailbox For -> Inbox, and do the same for Trash and Sent. There should be other mailboxes left over (like All Mail, Important Messages, etc., the other default Gmail folders) and for those I just went to the Gmail settings and disabled them for IMAP, so that there were no other folders listed under [Gmail] anymore. Then I put [Gmail] in that path thing and all my emails disappeared but I just did Mailbox -> Rebuild (or Mailbox -> Synchronize, I forgot) and everything showed up again.

I should say that I don't archive emails, just delete, or use folders/labels though, so this is perfect for me.
Hmm. I've already got the Inbox, Junk etc folders set up like that and there's nothing else showing up in the [Google Mail] folder. I'll try rebuilding the mailbox and see if that works, cheers.

IceLicker posted:

Are you aware of how much of a loving pain it is to revert to Snow Leopard? Even if you have a Time Machine backup, if it's done a backup since you upgraded you will no longer be able to restore from that backup to a Snow Leopard install. You have to do a complete erase/install and manually copy your files over.

Apple being Apple, you're just setting yourself up for more pain in the future if you don't upgrade.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I fear change! Actually, it seems like battery timer is just responding a little slower than on Snow Leopard but it's showing about the same time remaining as before. I went through this same thing with Windows 7. It took years for me to get XP set up just the way I like it and then BAM! but now I love W7. As with OSX, I'm sure I'll grow to love ML too. And despite my fears, performance hasn't suffered at all. Perhaps it's even better.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Something of an :doh: than anything else- I was wondering why my regular Lion Mail in OS X 10.7.4 kept giving me beach balls; couldn't send mail, although I could get it.. took 15 minutes to get to the Preferences screen- and then it was staring me right in the face.

I forgot to remove my Mobile Me IMAP account.

Mail kept making GBS threads itself so I went to ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData and not only killed all the MM folders but went into Accounts.plist and removed all keys having to do with the MM server using Property List Editor. After than Mail ran at its usual, unfettered clip.