Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The guy behind those claims is kind of a troll too. He's always saying poo poo that doesn't make sense, or teasing at features that may or may not have been removed from the game.

It would be funny if they patched in a hidden function to the pendant with the upcoming Prepare to Die DLC/PC port and claimed it was there all along, and that nobody found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It would be funny if they patched in a hidden function to the pendant with the upcoming Prepare to Die DLC/PC port and claimed it was there all along, and that nobody found it.

I'm gonna do cross thread spoilers in case other Dark Souls thread people are in here, but there are two new pendant items in the DLC, which are very important - maybe that was the director's intention the whole time?? :iiam:

Frozt
Aug 27, 2012

BooOooOOoOOoo

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, there's the germ of a good story in there- GNR turning into a numbers station and delivering creepy coded messages under incredibly specific circumstances is a fairly plausible Easter egg and something I could see Bethesda doing. Unfortunately, they didn't actually have any cool or interesting places to take the idea, so they just borrowed the plot of a Nicholas Cage movie instead.

The fact that something like that wouldn't be out of place in a Bethesda game is why i love them.

Fallout 3 has a ton of stuff that's more creepy than the numbers station, such as the Dunwich building, which has already been touched upon in this thread, and the vaults and especially Tranquility Lane

A vault that sounds like a hoax, and seems like it even AFTER checking it out, is Vault 108

There's also the location of the Alien Blaster (before the Mothership Zeta DLC, that is) which also sounds like something people would make up in the playground.
"Go to this town in the middle of nowhere, and then head north. Soon you will see a crashed alien spaceship, with a super powerful ALIEN LASER BLASTER PEW PEW"

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I thought that blaster and the UFO crash was a random event that could happen anywhere?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

pr0p posted:

I thought that blaster and the UFO crash was a random event that could happen anywhere?

We've been over this. The crash site has the blaster and is the entry point for the Zeta DLC. The meteoric explosion is a random encounter that nets the unique Firelance.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Frozt posted:

The fact that something like that wouldn't be out of place in a Bethesda game is why i love them.

Fallout 3 has a ton of stuff that's more creepy than the numbers station, such as the Dunwich building, which has already been touched upon in this thread, and the vaults and especially Tranquility Lane

A vault that sounds like a hoax, and seems like it even AFTER checking it out, is Vault 108

There's also the location of the Alien Blaster (before the Mothership Zeta DLC, that is) which also sounds like something people would make up in the playground.
"Go to this town in the middle of nowhere, and then head north. Soon you will see a crashed alien spaceship, with a super powerful ALIEN LASER BLASTER PEW PEW"

The number station thing is an interesting one because there are number stations and wierd broadcasts in random spots in fallout 3. Some of them lead to one off areas with something and some dont seem to lead anywhere.

I believe there also are number station lines from three dog in the sound folder though they aren't cryptic messages from the future just random numbers.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

randombattle posted:

The number station thing is an interesting one because there are number stations and wierd broadcasts in random spots in fallout 3. Some of them lead to one off areas with something and some dont seem to lead anywhere.

I believe there also are number station lines from three dog in the sound folder though they aren't cryptic messages from the future just random numbers.

The number stations in Fallout 3 are weird because they're all just meant to lead you to hidden caches, but the signal becomes stronger as you approach the CACHE, rather than as you approach the tower broadcasting the signal (and you don't get the signal at all until you turn the tower on). For a while I had no idea what these were about and thought it was some really mysterious sidequest that involved decoding the morse code. After I looked it up the actual answer is somewhat disappointing.

I believe you can find translations of what the morse code is saying online too. They're all basically saying the same thing, which is just identifying themselves with the same letter code you get in your radio list when you turn them on.

Fishbait
Apr 25, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know. That seems to fit in pretty well with the general Fallout atmosphere. Well, maybe more Fallout 2 than Fallout 1.

I'm surprised there haven't been more urban legends about the Fallout games actually. Someone posted a story about it earlier but that was written for this thread I think? There's so much weird stuff in those games that you could describe pretty much anything as some weird thing you stumbled across as a random event and it would seem pretty plausible (well, until you get to the part about the blood soaked photorealistic skeletons of your family anyway), and they came out right around the golden age of internet rumours, where there was just enough internet available for people to tell crazy stories with no verification but not enough internet that you could easily just look it up and see that it was a hoax.

I guess part of it is that a lot of rumours are generated by kids, and Fallout is more of an adult series (and not so controversial as to make kids want to play it a-la Mortal Kombat, even if "Bloody mess" is pretty gory).

Was it this one? http://creamofplenty.blogspot.com/2011/12/fallout-2s-auger-quest.html

In spite of the later portions drifting into photorealistic skeleton land a little bit, I like the feel it has. Initially at least, it's just enough like something that might happen if you triggered unfinished, glitchy quests to be interesting. I also like that they cut it off without some supernatural explanation, since that's where a lot of these stories get stupid.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fishbait posted:

Was it this one? http://creamofplenty.blogspot.com/2011/12/fallout-2s-auger-quest.html

In spite of the later portions drifting into photorealistic skeleton land a little bit, I like the feel it has. Initially at least, it's just enough like something that might happen if you triggered unfinished, glitchy quests to be interesting. I also like that they cut it off without some supernatural explanation, since that's where a lot of these stories get stupid.

The guy who wrote it is a total dick, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

With the internet if one guy discovers it everyone will find out. The Dark Souls community is really good about this stuff; the wikis are obsessively updated and people find out everything, especially for a game that doesn't tell you poo poo. There was an item that gave a boost to spell damage but doesn't actually tell you and people figured it out, people have figured out the damage formulas for every weapon and have designed spreadsheets that can calculate which weapon is best for you based on your stats. There's an item you can choose to start the game with (The Pendant) that the developer says "was very important" but people still have no idea what it does.

The game is full of stuff many players will never see, too. There are "Covenants" that are like clans that give you bonuses if you play a certain way. One of them is at the bottom of an optional dungeon that is just a series of branches in a giant tree you jump down. if you miss a branch you fall to the bottom and die. There's nothing to suggest you should go there. The dungeon is hidden behind TWO illusory walls in an area that is a giant swamp filled with poison that discourages exploration. You can offer the covenant a rare Dragon Scale - I got about 6 playing through the game normally, it's pretty hard to find them. If you offer the covenant 30 scales you can turn into a dragon.

Even though this stuff is well documented online, players will never find it if they don't check wikis and guides and even if you know about it you probably won't go all the way.

This stuff is loving awesome, reminds me of all of the abilities Samus had in Super Metroid that you never needed nor were documented and you basically just had to gently caress around to do them. I hate that games now point people in the direction of all of the content and there isn't much in the way for exploration.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What abilities? I loved that game.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

RCarr posted:

What abilities? I loved that game.

Spineshark is the one that comes to mind, I don't know if there were others.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Liku posted:

This stuff is loving awesome, reminds me of all of the abilities Samus had in Super Metroid that you never needed nor were documented and you basically just had to gently caress around to do them. I hate that games now point people in the direction of all of the content and there isn't much in the way for exploration.

What abilities are you referring to? The only thing I can think of is infinite vertical bombjumping which is more of an exploit than an intentional ability.

edit: Oh, I just looked it up and apparently you are never told about the beam-bombs. Huh.

Also, there's some kind of energy restoration move that trades ammo for health I didn't know about.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 29, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinespark and Crystal Flash are two big obvious ones here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That full heal at the cost of all your missiles, the power bomb charge beams, shinespark, wall jumping, probably some others.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

Spineshark is the one that comes to mind, I don't know if there were others.
This is a great name for a really brutal metal band

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, it sounds more like an uplifting pop-rock band to me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endorph posted:

Iunno, it sounds more like an uplifting pop-rock band to me.
Re-read what he posted :ssh:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dis astranagant posted:

That full heal at the cost of all your missiles, the power bomb charge beams, shinespark, wall jumping, probably some others.

That's all of them I think.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Pablo Gigante posted:

Re-read what he posted :ssh:

WHOOPS. I guess I'm more dyslexic than I thought.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Man, most of these video game creepy pastas are poo poo. The gently caress does 'hyper realistic' mean anyway? More realistic than realistic? Stupid as hell if you ask me.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

E-Tank posted:

The gently caress does 'hyper realistic' mean anyway? More realistic than realistic? Stupid as hell if you ask me.

Except it's sort of an actual thing? Sort of?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

E-Tank posted:

Man, most of these video game creepy pastas are poo poo. The gently caress does 'hyper realistic' mean anyway? More realistic than realistic? Stupid as hell if you ask me.

I'm still waiting for a story where an N64 displays someone's skeleton in glasses-free 3D.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

E-Tank posted:

Unless the story involves a Sega Genesis, then yeah, all claims of "hyper-realism" are total bullshit.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Figures a Printer would know what its all about. In all seriousness though in the way its thrown around everywhere in every single creepy pasta, it just ruins all of them.

Be creepy inline with what the game is capable of. Make it sound like it *might* possibly happen. Don't gently caress it up by saying "Oh, and it was totally photo-realistic in the 8-Bit era."

I mean, the NES Godzilla story is pretty much as far as my suspension of disbelief will go and that's simply because its so drat creatively done.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

E-Tank posted:

Hyperstupid.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
"DragonStrike was a 1993 adventure board game from TSR, Inc. based on the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game."

It came with an instructional video filmed in Hyper Reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ

You drat well better be frightened.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Shardix posted:

"DragonStrike was a 1993 adventure board game from TSR, Inc. based on the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game."

It came with an instructional video filmed in Hyper Reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ

You drat well better be frightened.

PFhahahaha. I remember watching this on the Spoony Experiment. This is so loving awesome.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dis astranagant posted:

Both shinesparking and wall jumping actually have in-game tutorials (of a sort) in Super Metroid.

Crystal Flash and beam bombs are completely obscure, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Related to that, about half the button combinations in Symphony of the Night for spells are never revealed in-game. You only get the command to show up in the spell screen after you've already performed it. So basically you probably aren't going to know those spells even exist unless someone else tells you.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

With the internet if one guy discovers it everyone will find out. The Dark Souls community is really good about this stuff; the wikis are obsessively updated and people find out everything, especially for a game that doesn't tell you poo poo. There was an item that gave a boost to spell damage but doesn't actually tell you and people figured it out, people have figured out the damage formulas for every weapon and have designed spreadsheets that can calculate which weapon is best for you based on your stats. There's an item you can choose to start the game with (The Pendant) that the developer says "was very important" but people still have no idea what it does.

The game is full of stuff many players will never see, too. There are "Covenants" that are like clans that give you bonuses if you play a certain way. One of them is at the bottom of an optional dungeon that is just a series of branches in a giant tree you jump down. if you miss a branch you fall to the bottom and die. There's nothing to suggest you should go there. The dungeon is hidden behind TWO illusory walls in an area that is a giant swamp filled with poison that discourages exploration. You can offer the covenant a rare Dragon Scale - I got about 6 playing through the game normally, it's pretty hard to find them. If you offer the covenant 30 scales you can turn into a dragon.

Even though this stuff is well documented online, players will never find it if they don't check wikis and guides and even if you know about it you probably won't go all the way.

For reference this is the community that pulled as much information as it possibly could to piece together a mythos for a game with nearly zero story. It was a careful categorization of things you learn from item descriptions that was pieced together until a coherent story was able to be told.

Although the best thing Dark Souls does is give you a sewer level and make it not the worst part of the game because the most frustrating level comes after it. So you might think to yourself "this sewer level kinda bites" and then spend the next 40 minutes after you finish it being actually annoyed.

Dark Souls :allears:

e: My favorite example of Things People Know About Dark Souls.

There's a (usually) required item that, when equipped, makes your feet glow red and lets you walk through magma with minimal damage done to your character. The Orange Charred Ring, the ring that does this, supposedly makes your feet super hot to compensate for the heat around you.

Somebody read this description, thought about it, wore the ring outside of where you need it to traverse magma (which is ENTIRELY counter-intuitive since it takes up a precious ring slot in a game filled with important and powerful rings) and kicked enemies to see if your feet were actually hot.

When equipped, your kicks deal fire damage.

:iia:

Dickweasel Alpha fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 30, 2012

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

John Murdoch posted:

Both shinesparking and wall jumping actually have in-game tutorials (of a sort) in Super Metroid.

Crystal Flash and beam bombs are completely obscure, though.

After you beat the game, if you reset and leave the game on the title screen once it gets to the demo play, it actually does shows some demos of the crystal flash and beam bombs. Of course, you'd have only a vague idea how to do them, but at least the game did show they exist in one form or another.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

E-Tank posted:

My mentor always told me that if I ever encountered a haunted video game that I'd be safe so long as I didn't see any sort of hyper-realistic thing, but now here I am dying on the floor of my living room and I could only wonder why.

The ghost on the screen, 8-bit and fake cackled and text ran across the bottom "Have you looked at your inventory?"

Throughout the cursed Barbie game I had picked up all sorts of mundane cosmetics, none of them useful in my attempts to survive the haunted video game, but I don't know what that would have to do with my answer. Though I feel weak from bleeding out I use the last of my strength to try to understand and open my inventory. All the items had little icons and descriptions:

Conditioner: Use this to gave your hair the treatment of a treat it needs!
Useless. I check another.

Eyeshadow: Don't live in anybody else's shadow!
Just as worthless.

In the end I struggle as I grow weaker and scroll through coverup, fingernail polish, mascara, fingernail polish remover, hairspray, various dyes, nothing useful. I'm thinking this can't be happening! I never saw anything hyper-realistic! Then I finally look at the very first item I picked up at the very beginning.

Oh. OH. I laugh and realize how foolish I was. My eyes shut for the last time and I fade away, my soul to be reclaimed and probably made a helpless addition to the cursed cartridge's 3rd level.

All that remains in the room is the jingle of the Barbie music and the still display of my final sight on the screen.

Lipstick: Color so bold, it's hyper-real!

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
For those who may be interested, I posted an essay to my blog deconstructing the medium of creepypasta and what makes a good scary story. I use six examples, four of which are video-game related. You'll probably get a good laugh out of It Wasn't Lavender Town, if nothing else. Have a read! :)

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

FauxCyclops posted:

For those who may be interested, I posted an essay to my blog deconstructing the medium of creepypasta and what makes a good scary story. I use six examples, four of which are video-game related. You'll probably get a good laugh out of It Wasn't Lavender Town, if nothing else. Have a read! :)

Wow, great read. You really went into a great amount of detail, and I feel as if I've learned something about the nature of writing in general.

:golfclap:

Kudos to you good sir.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) I realized I probably should've brought up The Princess in there as well, but it's harder to comment directly on that since it's not finished yet. I'll settle for an addendum and link it through the blog and my facebook profile.

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.
I was browsing Steam Greenlight, and stumbled upon this thing:

Killswitch 1989

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93081044

"A story of an abandoned mine, and strange things happening there. Player can choose between two
characters:
Porto and Ghast. Port is a young girl.
She woke up at the bottom of the mine and does not remember anything. While she's trying to escape, her growth changes spontaneously.
Ghast is an invisible demon, who is seeking something in this drat place."

Just this description and three quite possibly fake screenshots, so bullshit I guess? Still, I never would've expected to see this anywhere near Steam. And imagine if someone's actually trying to make this, however unlikely that may be...

Serious George fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 31, 2012

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Oh, made a comment on your try for a creepy story. I've got a good vibe on this, and I can't wait to see what happens.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

Awesome, I'll be sure to put your response in the second part whenever that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Serious George posted:

I was browsing Steam Greenlight, and stumbled upon this thing:

Killswitch 1989

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93081044

"A story of an abandoned mine, and strange things happening there. Player can choose between two
characters:
Porto and Ghast. Port is a young girl.
She woke up at the bottom of the mine and does not remember anything. While she's trying to escape, her growth changes spontaneously.
Ghast is an invisible demon, who is seeking something in this drat place."

Just this description and three quite possibly fake screenshots, so bullshit I guess? Still, I never would've expected to see this anywhere near Steam. And imagine if someone's actually trying to make this, however unlikely that may be...

Sounds like someone is claiming they're going to actually make the game mentioned in this story: http://invisiblegames.net/archives/killswitch/

Honestly I think it'd be great if someone manages to bring it into reality, though of course the "deletes itself after you win" feature won't be implemented.