Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Shalinor posted:

Dominique Pamplemousse just crossed the 50% line, with 6 days to go.

It'll be tight, but... the funding goal isn't that high. It could definitely still make it.

She's even written a sonnet on reaching half way! :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Bieeardo posted:

Expecting or bartering for coverage? Yeaaah, that ship's set sail with the proliferation of Kickstarter-style projects we've seen over the last several months. What projects really need is networking. Not that bullshit sort of 'everyone spam everyone you can think of!' garbage noted in the article, but a community that you're already a part of and is at least somewhat inclined to spread the word naturally. The person behind Dominique Pamplemousse is active in feminist and allied blogging circles, which is how I picked up on the project and brought it here, and later when there was another brief flurry on Twitter about it. Without that, I doubt anyone would have noticed.

I didn't pay any attention to Dominique Pamplemousse until I realized that Deirdra Kiai also did The Play, which took third place in last years Interactive Fiction Competition. Now I'm definitely going to back it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

One Eye Open posted:

She's even written a sonnet on reaching half way! :unsmith:
I feel like she missed a trick by not making Dominque Pamplemousse sing it in an Olde Tyme theater set.

(because that's certainly how I read it)

EDIT: VV Yep. "Thomas Was Alone," which had huge indie buzz, didn't even manage its $4k target on IndieGoGo. Yes, it was using flexible funding, but I really don't think most read that little text - I think they just assume that IndieGoGo is flexible funding period.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 27, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I reckon Dominique Pamplemousse not being on KS hurt it. She's even using fixed funding instead of the scummy option IndieGoGo stuff has most of the time, so I assume she used the service only because she hasn't access to whatever loop-hole those non-US projects used to get in on KS, which I assume is just a friend in the US who can hold onto the funds.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Our old friend Elwood is still at it, showing all us: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/212982?c=home&a=1095398 This time he wants 55k instead of all the monies. It is still terrible though.

Edit: This is that YOUR WORLD thing that wont die until the lottery monies run out.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 27, 2012

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Tnega posted:

Our old friend Elwood is still at it, showing all us: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/212982?c=home&a=1095398 This time he wants 55k instead of all the monies. It is still terrible though.

Edit: This is that YOUR WORLD thing that wont die until the lottery monies run out.
He's got a kickin' rad logo now. All he needs is a barrel (at least WoW quality) and some lore and he'll be racing past Crimson Haze on the road to making the greatest MMO of all time.

Flexible funding, no less. I feel like it should be a crime to take money from the sort of people who would contribute to this. Especially after you've already won the lottery.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Armor-Piercing posted:

and some lore
Don't worry he's got that covered.

YOUR WORLD posted:

He has been writing the story of Telgara for over 5 years now. His passion for gaming, his story telling skills and his knowledge of occult studies and secret societies puts him in a perfect position to help guide his team to creating a great game.

I don't think he realized his backers from the Kickstarter were all trolls who pledged knowing that it would never make enough to actually give him anything.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Tnega posted:

What does everyone else think of "fund us to build a tech demo to show to investors" type campaigns? It feels pretty scummy to me, as most of the ones I've seen talk like they're going to use the donated money to make their game but then quietly slip in at the end that it's just to build a prototype and you get nothing if investors don't pick the project up. If you can't put in the effort to build some sort of prototype or tech demo off your own bat, why should I trust you'll be able to get the whole thing done?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Tnega posted:

I don't think he realized his backers from the Kickstarter were all trolls who pledged knowing that it would never make enough to actually give him anything.
I think he did realize it and that's exactly why he's using flexible funding on IndieGoGo instead of trying Kickstarter again or at least using fixed funding. This time, even if he only gets a couple grand in pledges, that money goes to him.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

chiefnewo posted:

What does everyone else think of "fund us to build a tech demo to show to investors" type campaigns? It feels pretty scummy to me, as most of the ones I've seen talk like they're going to use the donated money to make their game but then quietly slip in at the end that it's just to build a prototype and you get nothing if investors don't pick the project up. If you can't put in the effort to build some sort of prototype or tech demo off your own bat, why should I trust you'll be able to get the whole thing done?

I avoid those kinds of campaigns like the plague. There's a risk that you'll never see anything from a 'fund this game' project, but when you can't be hosed to get a tech demo together on your own, or you're gunning for a huge project that an established developer would struggle with, the money's almost certainly wasted. Building on that, even if the campaign is funded, and the team doesn't fritter the money away in spurts of amateur asshattery, there is no guarantee that it will ever cross a publisher's desk.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
A cool looking SNES era game my buddy is making.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2004110145/worlds-beyond-classic-retro-rpg-about-the-end-of-t

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The new Great Gianna Sisters game looks alright. It's a platformer with a neat gimmick. It has just over $7,000 and 3 days remaining. I'm optimistic.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/project-giana/project-giana

If you know of the Mario Bros. ripoff Great Gianna Sisters or if you have played the excellent but simple and original DS platformer, look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_xDGid1hM

e: If I would go just one page back I could see that there is a DEMO too:

Renoistic posted:

This will be the last post I write about Project Giana until it's done, promise! They have 7 days left, missing about a third of their goal, and have just

RELEASED A DEMO

Give it a try if you have even the slightest interest in a new platformer!

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 28, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Infinitum posted:

Comedy option: A Duke Nukem kickstarter by 3DRealms

This, except for One Must Fall 2098

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've just realized something. Does anyone else think that the popularity of Kicstarter may have been a factor in the creation of Steam Greenlight? Valve may have realized that with all those well-known Kickstarter game projects succeeding, when those games are completed, they'd be submitted to Steam and several would probably turned down (without so much as an explanation, as per Valve's policy), resulting in grumbling and anger that Steam wouldn't be able to easily address. So, instead of potentially having to deal being seen as a faceless EA-esque corporate monster, they nipped the problem in the bud with Greenlight. Not only will preventing the big popular projects from being passed over allow them to avoid controversey, they'll also be able to reap the rewards to supporting them.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 29, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BiggerJ posted:

I've just realized something. Does anyone else think that the popularity of Kicstarter may have been a factor in the creation of Steam Greenlight? Valve may have realized that with all those well-known Kickstarter game projects succeeding, when those games are completed, they'd be submitted to Steam and several would probably turned down (without so much as an explanation, as per Valve's policy), resulting in grumbling and anger that Steam wouldn't be able to easily address. So, instead of potentially having to deal being seen as a faceless EA-esque corporate monster, they nipped the problem in the bud with Greenlight. Not only will preventing the big popular projects from being passed over allow them to avoid controversey, they'll also be able to reap the rewards to supporting them.

Yes, I'm sure Valve is scared that its extremely large and incredibly loyal fanbase would forget over a decade of good business and play experiences because they turned down a couple of niche market Indie games to the point where they suddenly threw together a plan to completely redo the vetting process on their main source of income in a couple of months.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

BiggerJ posted:

Does anyone else think that the popularity of Kicstarter may have been a factor in the creation of Steam Greenlight?

I would think it has more to do with the fact that they've made a lot of money off of some very, very indy games (like Terraria), and having an easier way to find these games and gauge interest in them is just good business sense.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I guess I wasn't thinking. Sorry.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 29, 2012

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Project Giana is about to hit its goal, and Planetary Annihilation should hit today.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Planetary Annihilation funded! :toot:

Here's hoping one of the stretch goals is a singleplayer campaign and they reach it. Failing that, though, I'd settle for gas giants.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Are we allowed to talk about projects related to gaming in this thread? Dreamcast worlds: a design history will hopefully be a book looking at the history of the Dreamcast through three of its games: Skies of Arcadia being one, with the other two likely to be Shenmue and Phantasy Star Online. It's 73% towards its $5k total with 36 hours left to go. $10 gets the book as a .pdf, $25 gets a paperback.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Looks neat, except that I hate it when RPGs use a first-person perspective for battles.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Planetary Annihilation funded! :toot:

Here's hoping one of the stretch goals is a singleplayer campaign and they reach it. Failing that, though, I'd settle for gas giants.

One of my big hopes is that they have a stretch goal for Jeremy Soule making the soundtrack. The game can't be complete without him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Project Giana reached its target.

Now if we can double it in 2 days we can get a OUYA release as well :allears:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Komoxdos posted:

One of my big hopes is that they have a stretch goal for Jeremy Soule making the soundtrack. The game can't be complete without him.

That would be amazing.

But even if they don't, I still have my Total Annihilation disks. :rock:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Knock-Knock just got funded with thirteen days left on the clock. Just to recap, it's by Icepick Lodge (of The Void and Pathologic fame) and stars you as a poor son of a bitch trying to keep his sanity while ghosts and spirits batter their way into a house you get to build like stacking blocks.

Buy-in for a copy of the game's five dollars, but the higher tiers get art books and copies of the weird documents that Icepick claims was sent to them by a random nutter.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Two Brothers just put their kickstarter out, the game looks really good from the videos I've watched so far. No way they're not gonna hit that 6k, anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

Knock-Knock just got funded with thirteen days left on the clock. Just to recap, it's by Icepick Lodge (of The Void and Pathologic fame) and stars you as a poor son of a bitch trying to keep his sanity while ghosts and spirits batter their way into a house you get to build like stacking blocks.

Buy-in for a copy of the game's five dollars, but the higher tiers get art books and copies of the weird documents that Icepick claims was sent to them by a random nutter.

I had to put in $51 for this after some back and forth on whether or not I wanted to get on the Kickstarter bandwagon. I don't know what my deal is but for some reason I keep giving Ice-Pick Lodge money even though I haven't finished Pathologic OR the Void. I think it's just because I like that their games EXIST more than I enjoy playing them. I want to be in a world where there are developers like them around, making crazy original projects, rather than just holiday release military FPS #667.

I think part of it is also the fact that it kind of seems like a combination of a fleeting idea I had for a game ages ago (My idea was a sort of zombie defense kind of thing where you have to improvise a fortress with just supplies you have in your house) and Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Plus I just love the way Ice-Pick does monsters. The Brothers from the Void are probably the only video game monsters I've ever seen that I actually find disturbing. Every other developer seems to basically say "Let's make it look like a vagina covered in blood that screams a lot!" which kind of stops being scary after the hundredth time you've seen it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 30, 2012

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Two Brothers just put their kickstarter out, the game looks really good from the videos I've watched so far. No way they're not gonna hit that 6k, anyway.

I pledged to get a copy of the game, but I think they're being a bit optimistic with the price of some of the rewards.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
A physical reward at $25 is probably not the best idea.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cloud Potato posted:

Are we allowed to talk about projects related to gaming in this thread? Dreamcast worlds: a design history will hopefully be a book looking at the history of the Dreamcast through three of its games: Skies of Arcadia being one, with the other two likely to be Shenmue and Phantasy Star Online. It's 73% towards its $5k total with 36 hours left to go. $10 gets the book as a .pdf, $25 gets a paperback.

That's really awesome. I think I will kick in $25. I really hope he addresses PSO, I spent way too much time playing it on the Dreamcast. :)

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Steam has Project Greenlight up where you can rate the games you want to be accepted.
Project Giana was the first one to pop up for me.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
For the Broken Sword Kickstarter, I can't decide if I should pledge at $100 just to get the physical copy or not. Honestly, I don't really need a physical copy but it's only released for Kickstarter campaign only LIMITED EDITION.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Dominique Pamplemousse is really coming down to the wire. 36 hours left, and only 20% (a little over $1.5k) to go.

Still, not a bad showing. Indie projects on Indiegogo often struggle to hit even $4k. Thomas Was Alone had huge buzz, and barely managed to scrape past $2k on there.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I just found out that Indiegogo does not make it obvious that you've contributed to something (you have to go through your dashboard), and even if something is fixed funding I think you can't cancel payments (or even combine your contributions). That's really obnoxious.

Haga
Aug 31, 2012
Didn't mean to poo poo up the thread guys, sorry!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Haga posted:

Hey guys

Did you just put up a game on Greenlight that still needs funding, while registering on these forums to solely promote your game? :ughh:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Saoshyant posted:

Did you just put up a game on Greenlight that still needs funding, while registering on these forums to solely promote your game? :ughh:

I was going to say. No matter how 'on the level' you feel like you're being, registering on an established community just to push your project does not exactly make us interested in your project. Best of luck otherwise, but if you carry this on on other forums it's not exactly enticing to anyone, you're probably doing more harm than good trying to push an alpha product in this way.

Also, not trying to be harsh but your Kickstarter reads way too much like a plea. You need money to make things happen, and plenty of starters have that as a section, but opening up with that isn't promising. Neither is the self deprecating quotes in your video, talk about what you're delivering man.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dragonrah posted:

Steam has Project Greenlight up where you can rate the games you want to be accepted.
Project Giana was the first one to pop up for me.

In the latest update they said all backers will receive the Steam version for free if it gets greenlit, and if you pledge $25 you're getting any extra levels or expansions for free.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

As dumb as he/she is going about it, Greenlight isn't just for finished games awaiting distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Obsurveyor posted:

As dumb as he/she is going about it, Greenlight isn't just for finished games awaiting distribution.

It would make sense if it was though, I've been through all 400 of the current entries and beyond the obviously fake ones half aren't actually finished or even show anything final. It's just crap.