Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
So I've been playing a lot of Nier lately and while it's not a perfect game (meh graphics, terrible sidequests, unintuitive UI, mediocre combat), I am completely enthralled by it. The setting, the characters, the music, the atmopshere, and the voice work all blend really nicely into a fantastic package. I really like a lot of the neat ideas it throws around gameplay-wise. From one quest area be literally a text adventure and others where you're descending a dungeon with a top-down isometric reminiscent of Diablo.

Man, it's too bad Cavia is dead and gone now. I would have been really interested in what they would do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably my favorite Walking Dead yet. They just keep getting better and better.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

NESguerilla posted:

Probably my favorite Walking Dead yet. They just keep getting better and better.

You rat bastard. I have to go off to work now and I can't play this for another six hours. Not going to be able to concentrate at all now.

(No but thanks, I was wondering if they'd managed to keep Episode 2's quality because holy poo poo that was good.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I thought Episode 3 was way more hype than 2, but it goes about things in less of a Hollywood blockbuster than 2.

Rueish posted:

So I've been playing a lot of Nier lately and while it's not a perfect game (meh graphics, terrible sidequests, unintuitive UI, mediocre combat), I am completely enthralled by it. The setting, the characters, the music, the atmopshere, and the voice work all blend really nicely into a fantastic package. I really like a lot of the neat ideas it throws around gameplay-wise. From one quest area be literally a text adventure and others where you're descending a dungeon with a top-down isometric reminiscent of Diablo.

Man, it's too bad Cavia is dead and gone now. I would have been really interested in what they would do next.

You might be interested to know that people have actually found out what Cavia was working on after Nier: Catacombs. It was occult themed 'Left 4 Dead' style co-op shooter with randomized dungeons and RPG elements. Everything from the plot, setting, gameplay screens, to even the Cavia brand twist ending are here. It sounds like a really bizarre little game.

Nier was the last and only good thing they ever did, and going by the art book they couldn't even finish it 100% to their liking.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rueish posted:

Nier is the best example I can think of where atmosphere and plot made up for the kinda dumb gameplay.

It's one of my favorite stories, make sure to play it again in New Game + because it changes stuff.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
:wtc: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD has a platinum and 9 golds.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yechezkel posted:

It's always really weird when the PS3 version of a game has a drastically different trophy list compared to 360's achievements. It happens every so often but I can scarcely remember any offhand.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Yechezkel posted:

...and all seemingly impossible to obtain judging by that site.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

TaurusOxford posted:

...and all seemingly impossible to obtain judging by that site.

Nah, the game is only just out and no-one has had a chance to sync their stats yet. They are comparable to 360 achievements in difficulty and shouldn't cause too much hassle.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Is anyone here going to be playing NHL 13 when it comes out? Because there is a Goon GM Connected league forming in SAS, and we still need 8 more teams filled. Please join.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Looks like Raiden is now officially confirmed to be in Playstation All Stars.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/29/metal-gear-raiden-joins-cast-of-playstation-all-stars/

Is anybody still really excited about this? I think I'll try to rent it for a night from my local RedBox to see if I like it. I've read some mixed things about it.

quote:

Raiden's strength lies in one-on-one attacks and air combos, and his level 3 super involves trapping all of the other players under boxes for easy pickings. Characters in All-Stars generally have about two dozen moves, but with his combo chains, Raiden has three or four dozen, Killian says.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/29/metal-gear-raiden-joins-cast-of-playstation-all-stars/

Is anybody still really excited about this? I think I'll try to rent it for a night from my local RedBox to see if I like it. I've read some mixed things about it.

The cast list is okay but it still feels really like "Sony trying to rip-off Smash Bros" instead of "Sony making a cool mascot fighter" and it's hard to get excited about that. Nothing I've heard about the gameplay is particularly glowing either. I'm sure it'll be a perfectly fine game but there's something very heartless about it. Which is a shame because Sony has shown they can do some really cool stuff.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The cast list is okay but it still feels really like "Sony trying to rip-off Smash Bros" instead of "Sony making a cool mascot fighter" and it's hard to get excited about that. Nothing I've heard about the gameplay is particularly glowing either.

Those are my concerns as well. I'm not opposed the them copying Smash Brothers, but I probably would rather just play Smash Brothers.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cartoon Man posted:

Is anybody still really excited about this?

I am. My avatar probably isn't doing me any favors for my argument but i'm willing to give Sony my support in making a fun-yet-competitive fighting game where I can wreck poo poo as Kratos and several other Playstation/Sony-based characters. At this point, my only disappointment so far is the lack of a rep from Assassin's Creed.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think all stars looks like hot garbage. The score system seems so ungodly retarded and makes characters having "dozens of moves!" completely pointless. It doesn't seem to have any of the balance or care put into the actual gameplay that smash bros does. Not to mention the stages all have been shown to be flat open box arenas. Yeah they transform and stuff happens in the background but it's always just a flat arena with one or two flat platforms and a damage zone.

The fact that they didn't just rip final fantasy dissidia for its damage system is criminal. If you want special moves to be the most important then make it so it's not just one hit auto kill on everything so it's actually interesting. There can never be a close game in all stars because you are either alive or dead.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
The game looks kind of seriously not fun due to not having life bars to be honest. Be sure to watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look on it.

Evil Vin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 29, 2012

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Evil Vin posted:

The game looks kind of seriously not fun due to having life bars to be honest. Be sure to watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look on it.
There are like tons of different multiplayer modes, though, right? I wouldn't think all of them have a life bar (but I could be wrong), especially since they're making it as much like Smash Bros as possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

There are like tons of different multiplayer modes, though, right? I wouldn't think all of them have a life bar (but I could be wrong), especially since they're making it as much like Smash Bros as possible.

They inexplicably are pushing the "super move kills" mode as the primary mode. It's really just bizarre. Not many people even seem to know it's got other modes. (I guess sort of like how SSB has a health bar mode nobody cares about.)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
No Walking Dead for EU. :smith:

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah I had a feeling it wouldn't work. My idea is that I could use the single player game on my PS3, and have a friend (via USB) bring their character over and play it on my PS3 with me. Though, considering you cant even have two accounts signed in at once, I guess there is no shot of this happening. I'll have to try it, though.

I have done this, it doesn't quite work. I tried to move the character off of my brother's PS3 and if I load that save on my PS3 it disables trophies and some other things if I remember right, it was 3 years ago or something.

...! posted:

So I just started Darksiders 2 and... they got the names of the horsemen wrong. War and Death are correct but the others are not even close to being right. If they named them wrong in the first game, I don't remember it. How could you get something so fundamental to your game's story incorrect like that without realizing it?

Really none of them are given names other than Death so what they are called is open to interpretation. I think getting 'Pestilence' from a 'conqueror bent on conquest' is a bit of a stretch too.

e: Oh hey there's another page.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Rueish posted:

Literally have never cared enough to own a video game's soundtrack before Nier. I dont know what it is about that game but I havent been haunted by a mediocre game like that since Braid. No desire to play it again (after new game plus of course) and yet cant trade it :stare:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

TaurusOxford posted:

I am. My avatar probably isn't doing me any favors for my argument but i'm willing to give Sony my support in making a fun-yet-competitive fighting game where I can wreck poo poo as Kratos and several other Playstation/Sony-based characters. At this point, my only disappointment so far is the lack of a rep from Assassin's Creed.

Yeah... I'm quietly anticipating the game. I'm cautious about the direct stealing of the Smash Bros. style, but I want to wait for reviews or get into the beta before I decide to get it for myself. I'm a big fan of Infamous, and a hand full of the other series that are being represented perk my eyes too. Raiden being added is another nice addition. But really, what would make me most excited would be an addition by an Assassin into the game. Altair, Ezio, Connor, Desmond, whatever- could just be "Assassin" and have each of those guys as different costumes/skins. That would make the game into a definite day-one buy.

I hope Raiden has his MGS2 style as a costume.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

The Grimace posted:

Yeah... I'm quietly anticipating the game. I'm cautious about the direct stealing of the Smash Bros. style, but I want to wait for reviews or get into the beta before I decide to get it for myself. I'm a big fan of Infamous, and a hand full of the other series that are being represented perk my eyes too. Raiden being added is another nice addition. But really, what would make me most excited would be an addition by an Assassin into the game. Altair, Ezio, Connor, Desmond, whatever- could just be "Assassin" and have each of those guys as different costumes/skins. That would make the game into a definite day-one buy.

I hope Raiden has his MGS2 style as a costume.

And a Grey Fox alternate, or just separate character please!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm very late, but I feel I should apologize to a poster here. I wrote off Sleeping Dogs to be just a True Crime clone.

Holy poo poo glad I was wrong, goddamn this game is awesome! Count me as another cynical bastard who converted to enjoying this. I'm just LOVING THIS game. Really love the set pieces. The demo sold me.

Really really glad a game that was in development hell actually turned out good. It is not always the case.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I've been in the mood to play Katamari Damacy for a while now and unfortunately don't own the PS2 games or even a PS2 to play them. So my only choice is pretry much Katamari Forever.

How is it? Does it have the endless levels (very important).

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Shindragon posted:

I'm very late, but I feel I should apologize to a poster here. I wrote off Sleeping Dogs to be just a True Crime clone.

Holy poo poo glad I was wrong, goddamn this game is awesome! Count me as another cynical bastard who converted to enjoying this. I'm just LOVING THIS game. Really love the set pieces. The demo sold me.

Really really glad a game that was in development hell actually turned out good. It is not always the case.

To be fair Sleeping Dogs was originally True Crime 3. Then Activision dropped it and SquareEnix picked it up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The GIG posted:

To be fair Sleeping Dogs was originally True Crime 3. Then Activision dropped it and SquareEnix picked it up.

Now Activision can eat all the poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

Now Activision can eat all the poo poo.
Seriously were they like "man, we don't want this pretty awesome game associated with us. Here you go, rival publisher"?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh dang, forget I asked.

Just looked it up. The eternal levels are there.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 29, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seriously were they like "man, we don't want this pretty awesome game associated with us. Here you go, rival publisher"?

I think it was a budget thing. It went over budget, and to make up for it, they would've had to have taken something from one of their more established and popular IPs. Square-Enix just has all of the money now, is all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The GIG posted:

It was an original game first (With a female protagonist, even) then True Crime 3, then Sleeping Dogs.

The game as released is basically what it would have been as True Crime though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really wish it went back to having a female protagonist. There are like no open world games that only have a female protagonist.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Aphrodite posted:

It was an original game first (With a female protagonist, even) then True Crime 3, then Sleeping Dogs.

Yeah, I know, I was just pointing out the "True Crime Clone" statement.

It still baffles me with the reasoning why Activision changed the protagonist.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

SR2 and 3 can have a female protagonist.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

SR2 and 3 can have a female protagonist.

That's why I said "games that only have a female protagonist". Games where you can make your own and it doesn't effect anything don't really count.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well, there's the new Lara Croft, The Assassin's Creed Vita game, and uhhhhh Borderlands 2 maybe?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cbouncerrun posted:

Well, there's the new Lara Croft, The Assassin's Creed Vita game, and uhhhhh Borderlands 2 maybe?

His original statement was regarding open world games, typically gta-alikes, which are often "gritty" crime sagas. Apparently off limits for female protagonists. It's a shame because I'd love to see a GTA from a female perspective, but only if Dan Houser hired a few women writers to help with the story.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rueish posted:

So I've been playing a lot of Nier lately and while it's not a perfect game (meh graphics, terrible sidequests, unintuitive UI, mediocre combat), I am completely enthralled by it.

It really is quite something. What it lacks in polish, it makes up for in just about everything else. I've said it before, but you can really tell that it was a labor of love, even if the combat is kinda blah, and the sidequests are worth skipping.

Sad that Cavia never got a chance to pick themselves up again and do something else in that style.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

DrNutt posted:

His original statement was regarding open world games, typically gta-alikes, which are often "gritty" crime sagas. Apparently off limits for female protagonists.
No more so than other games. Activision making the call that they should ditch the female protagonist is no different from the chain of logic that ended with Red Faction: Armageddon having the generic white bald dude.

"Well you see, the core demographic is 30-ish white dudes, so."

... still bitter about it, but it's an industry-wide thing, nothing specific to open-world GTA'ers :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The GIG posted:

Yeah, I know, I was just pointing out the "True Crime Clone" statement.

It still baffles me with the reasoning why Activision changed the protagonist.

I was very aware of it being a True Crime Clone. Hell back then it was literally basically Trime Crime: Hong Kong. That's what made me wrote it off. Nothing against the True Crime series, but I always felt they wanted to be GTA but sucked at it.

I'm well aware of how much Sleeping Dogs has changed. I am just glad it managed to turn into a decent game.

We all know what happened when a game stays in development hell turns out, it mostly turns out to be like DNF. Aka either Did Not Finish or Duke Nukem Forever. :v:

You know I thought by now companies would at least try. At least the psp vita version of rear end Creed 3 seems to be going the female main character way which is at least one step right to the direction. I feel at least explore more options. There is the argument of the players avatar but by now I feel games can be carried more then relying on avatar strength.

I'm really surprised with all the spin off GTA series that Rockstar made, they never decide to go with Catalina. Yeah she isn't something home to write about but she would a perfect candiate for a spin off at least. Hell have Her and Claude wreck San Ferrio a bit and the 2nd half goes to Liberty City and the last mission be her backstabbing Claude to prelude to the third's opening.

Would've been sweet.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 30, 2012

• Locked thread