Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Gotta love the "They didn't make this superior to the console versions in every way - 1 star" reviews. There are a couple real issues with the port but people really need to stop being babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I feel I have done a good thing.

I got summoned by someone using a knight shield and drake sword in the Parish. I dropped them a fully-upgraded estoc and balder shield, and told them to use it.

While the drake sword still does some good damage, it's best to stop using it early...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Edwhirl posted:

I got summoned by someone using a knight shield and drake sword in the Parish. I dropped them a fully-upgraded estoc and balder shield, and told them to use it.

While the drake sword still does some good damage, it's best to stop using it early...

You've set them on the path to stabbing sword addiction, you monster.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The detail in the greataxe is pretty impressive. It isn't something easy to notice until you play the PC version.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Filthy Monkey posted:

The detail in the greataxe is pretty impressive. It isn't something easy to notice until you play the PC version.

Goddamn. And here I thought that the excessive whetstone markings on the Falchion was good detail.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Orv posted:

:ohdear: Oh dear, what have I done...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Edwhirl posted:

:ohdear: Oh dear, what have I done...

A wondrous thing.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Welp I got a Failed to load SAVE DATA error. Good thing I backed up my save.

From -16 hours. :geno:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I'm loving the game but sick of boss particles slowing my frame rate down to a crawl. Every other part of the game is smooth, even the smoke from the bonfire is smooth as butter, but whenever I'm up against a big meanie like Drake, some giant Monolith Butterfly or some crap, and a giant water tentacle monster and they use their attacks like fire or water needles or whatever the gently caress, it bogs my frames horribly.

Is there no way to fix this? :(

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone know the preferred summon level for Artorias? Seems like slow going at sl 53

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

While we're on the topic:

I just found out how to stab with a Zweihänder. :aaa:

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

That Gobbo posted:

Welp I got a Failed to load SAVE DATA error. Good thing I backed up my save.

From -16 hours. :geno:

This may be an obvious question, but did you exit the game and restart it? I did that when I got the error and it was fine.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Azraden posted:

This may be an obvious question, but did you exit the game and restart it? I did that when I got the error and it was fine.

Oh! This worked. Didn't even think about that. :woop:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Alright; I'm here for SL14 4K/Sif if anyone needs me, hit me up in the IRC channel

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Looking to SL17 coop the Gargoyles so I can meet Sunbro requirements. Or would I be better off coop-ing the Capra Demon?

Also, where do I even go after Capra? The elevator under Firelink?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
drat it's tough being a SL 18 gravelord servant, in that noone ever comes to invade me. I've been running all over the drat place with an eye activated, upper and lower burg, did 90% of the depths, not a single bite. I can't wait until I can just go become a darkwraith gravelordin is too passive even though I love the idea of antagonistitcally dropping old BWT phantoms in peoples games.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
Just beat Artorias on NG+. A lot easier when you fight him using your shield, instead of attempting to dodge all his attacks like I did on my first playthrough. :v: I still love the fight though, it's as hard as you make it really. If you have a good stability shield you can tank most of his hits.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Gazaar posted:

drat it's tough being a SL 18 gravelord servant, in that noone ever comes to invade me. I've been running all over the drat place with an eye activated, upper and lower burg, did 90% of the depths, not a single bite. I can't wait until I can just go become a darkwraith gravelordin is too passive even though I love the idea of antagonistitcally dropping old BWT phantoms in peoples games.

Like I've said before, there really needs to be some sort of indication of the Eye actually working, just tell me when I infect someone or die. Try sitting by the side entrance to the Parish in non-threatening armor/weapons.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

Does anyone know the preferred summon level for Artorias? Seems like slow going at sl 53

I don't think there is one at the moment. I'm doing it at 54 and you only ever get console players rushing it for new gear. I dunno, most hosts tend to die instantly anyway.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pretty good haul today. Managed to get a Balder Side Sword while waiting to Sunbro the Gargoyles, then went to New Londo and got a couple Jagged Ghost Blades.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Do you guys find the Grass Crest Shield useful for it's stamina recovery bonus, or it's not worth using it?

As a two-hand user, I've been using it exclusively since I found it. There are better shields if you want something more than a fashion accessory.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Looking to SL17 coop the Gargoyles so I can meet Sunbro requirements. Or would I be better off coop-ing the Capra Demon?

Also, where do I even go after Capra? The elevator under Firelink?

Go to the locked door at the end of Capra's area, that takes you to the Depths. The elevator under Firelink isn't until later, though there's a merchant down there with a ring that might help you in the Depths.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Edwhirl posted:

Don't you get the drake sword right outside the parish? I'm still using it to explore the sewers and that forest thing near the blacksmith before I got stepped on by a statue.

Also while I was farting around the sewers making sure that I didn't miss anything, I found a bonfire! Nothing better than that "life on kill" ring though. Then I got summoned to help fight the gaping dragon and proceeded to get stepped on, even though I didn't get hit the first time I fought him (except by this big puke attack he did once).

I get stepped on a lot it seems.

edit: Come to think of it, I never killed the dragon you get the drake sword from. Is the only way to do that a near suicidal charge down the bridge?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 30, 2012

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Is SL12 too low to do gargoyles? I have been trying to get summoned for awhile now and I don't know if there is just no one doing it or I am too low of a level. I read somewhere that if you place your summon sign down and every minute or two move reapply it you get better results but so far nothing.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What's the easiest way to reach the Sunbros statue/bonfire? I still haven't done it. :v:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
So I'm guessing my Ceaseless Discharge strategy of spamming estus flasks was probably not the greatest way to handle the fight, how are you actually supposed to deal with his huge gently caress-off attacks?

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Seemenaked posted:

Is SL12 too low to do gargoyles? I have been trying to get summoned for awhile now and I don't know if there is just no one doing it or I am too low of a level. I read somewhere that if you place your summon sign down and every minute or two move reapply it you get better results but so far nothing.

12 sounds about right, you're probably just having poor luck. Sometimes quitting/reloading has been known to help with summon signs but you shouldn't be moving it around too constantly, might shift it just as someone is trying to connect

VisAbsoluta posted:

What's the easiest way to reach the Sunbros statue/bonfire? I still haven't done it. :v:

Spend all the souls you have and just make a dash for it. You can try and get the dragon down to the bridge by sticking your head out and then running back the stairs, or even plinking it with an arrow, but it's also possible to just make a lucky dash

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

So I'm guessing my Ceaseless Discharge strategy of spamming estus flasks was probably not the greatest way to handle the fight, how are you actually supposed to deal with his huge gently caress-off attacks?

You shouldn't be having too hard of a time with him. His attacks aren't difficult to dodge and after he misses you he leaves himself wide open.

No One Likes Nutmeg posted:

I'm downloading the game now. Am I right to assume that a plugged in xbox360 controller will give me no problems? I won't even bother with mouse and keyboard from what I've read.

I've been using a 360 controller with no problems.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 30, 2012

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
I'm downloading the game now. Am I right to assume that a plugged in xbox360 controller will give me no problems? I won't even bother with mouse and keyboard from what I've read.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

No One Likes Nutmeg posted:

Xbox controller works fine for me, also if you need a hand I am SL12 and can help.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Reminalt posted:

You shouldn't be having too hard of a time with him. His attacks aren't difficult to dodge and after he misses you he leaves himself wide open.

Yeah, missing is the issue. I did beat him. I just used...10 or so flasks in the process. When he does that fire blast thrust, whether I blocked or rolled, he would level me, I would get a couple of hits in, quick heal, rinse and repeat, and a lightning bolt finished him when I could not survive another hit. Would it have been better not to use lock on and just run across the battlefield?

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Seemenaked posted:

Xbox controller works fine for me, also if you need a hand I am SL12 and can help.

What is SL12

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah, missing is the issue. I did beat him. I just used...10 or so flasks in the process. When he does that fire blast thrust, whether I blocked or rolled, he would level me, I would get a couple of hits in, quick heal, rinse and repeat, and a lightning bolt finished him when I could not survive another hit. Would it have been better not to use lock on and just run across the battlefield?

Generally you can get away with not using lock-on on large enemies. I don't see a problem with using 10 estus flasks, you can get those refilled easily. If you're worried about conserving flasks on your way to a boss, buy the heal miracle. It has low requirements and is good for topping off your health before walking through a fog gate.

Soul Level - It's just your characters level.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

BioMe posted:

Gotta love the "They didn't make this superior to the console versions in every way - 1 star" reviews. There are a couple real issues with the port but people really need to stop being babies.

I love the game and the user reviews on metacritic are typically poo poo; but the metascore doesn't mean much either:

Mass Effect 3 - 89
Diablo 3 - 88

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I decided for my next run, I'll do a speedy swashbucking character. I know I'm gonna use the DWGR, the Balder Side Sword and the Rapier, and pump Dex and End, but what armor should I use? Should I invest some points into INT so I can get some buffs with the Magic Weapon spells? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Maremidon posted:

So I decided for my next run, I'll do a speedy swashbucking character. I know I'm gonna use the DWGR, the Balder Side Sword and the Rapier, and pump Dex and End, but what armor should I use? Should I invest some points into INT so I can get some buffs with the Magic Weapon spells? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Compare the armor sets here and decide what sort of weight you want to devote to armor. I usually go with something super-lightweight to leave weight for a better weapon and shield since ideally as a speed-ninja you won't need armor anyway.

You might want to avoid dumping too many points into Intelligence, if you really want to be quick and be able to use a decent weapon and armor you'll need most of your points in END and DEX

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I don't know if anyone is interested but just in case - I ran windows resource monitor to see what sort of network connections it was making. It looks like it directly connects/communicates with up to 20 people around you for summoning and just cycles through them if there's more.

So if someone had the ambition and desire I think it would be possible to ban hackers from your game by editing the windows hosts file to redirect their ip to localhost or something. Someone could make a program that takes it from a central location and does it all automatically.. :)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Well I found some lightning dragons and some ice golems and a water dragon and I went and stole the water dragon's treasure but it was just a heavy suit of armor I don't want.

And now I killed a giant opera singing butterfly? This game is weird.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 30, 2012

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Situation: SL1 run

That is all.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Tomb of the Giants became a whole lot simpler when I realized I should just run through like a little bitch instead of trying to fight every single thing.

Also fighting Baby Skeletons with Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and Ring of the Evil Eye seems cheap.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Quake posted:

Tomb of the Giants became a whole lot simpler when I realized I should just run through like a little bitch instead of trying to fight every single thing.

Also fighting Baby Skeletons with Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and Ring of the Evil Eye seems cheap.

LifeHumanity is cheap.

Cowcaster posted:

Well I found some lightning dragons and some ice golems and a water dragon and I went and stole the water dragon's treasure but it was just a heavy suit of armor I don't want.

And now I killed a giant opera singing butterfly? This game is weird.

The opera singing butterfly is fairly tame on the weird scale of Dark Souls. Definitely my favorite song on the soundtrack though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anybody want to have some fun with Ornstein and Smough?!

I set aside today to be my "Fun in the Catacombs/with Nito day!", instead it's been 5 hours of straight O&S fights, work, then so far another 3 hours of Ornstein and Smough. Ideally I'd like to kill these bastards before I need to go to bed.

I have no problem on stage one, I just don't have the damage to seal the deal on either Super Ornstein, or Super Smough with my plinky little spear, and Solaire is no help at all this fight. :argh:

I think I'm around SL53/54.

• Locked thread