Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ruddiger posted:

Uh, did Radiohead's set have a guest appearance by Master P? I didn't think so, point goes to A$AP.

OTOH, Thom Yorke is probably the best rapper out of the bunch.

Actually A$AP Rocky isn't that bad, but he's entirely propped up by production. I don't have much hope for his album even being as good as his mixtape. Normally I don't really buy into the general narrative about people being ruined after getting their first deal or w/e, but everything I've heard about his performances since he signed that supposedly $2 million deal has been pretty bad. And that single he released a bit ago wasn't good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
which one, goldie? goldie was really good, everything after that was pretty lousy though.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

:siren: gunplay :siren: and danny brown are featured together on a track in the asap mixtape

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

man ATLiens is still one of the best albums ive ever heard. holy poo poo, it's insane

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

man ATLiens is still one of the best albums ive ever heard. holy poo poo, it's insane

Outkast = Beatles

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Speaking of older poo poo, what do you guys consider the best older 3 6 mafia albums?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

a false posted:

which one, goldie? goldie was really good, everything after that was pretty lousy though.

Didn't really like goldie that much, the beat was fire but his rhyming just sounded...off. Like, they were going for a peso thing and just failed.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Bob NewSCART posted:

Speaking of older poo poo, what do you guys consider the best older 3 6 mafia albums?

No one will agree with me but I think the best 3 are When the Smoke Clears, World Domination, and the HCP album, in that order. I didn't really like anything after When the Smoke Clears, the Choices soundtrack had a couple songs I guess.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

the black husserl posted:

Outkast = Beatles

What?! Tribe = Beatles. Outkast= Nirvana.

slothmonster
Sep 28, 2009

Mashed keyboard to write about a woman getting murdered rather than potatoes. WTF

THUNDERDOME
Last Madchild poo poo I posted didn't get much response but dude dropped another video today that deserves love and attention, between him and Snak :canada: is on point lately which makes me feel good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfDnWLjiw8

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Here is something. Will be interesting to see if he actually makes funding on his kickstarter campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2QJ74U_W0w

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Aside from Chapter 2 and When the Smoke Clears, I go dumb for Underground Vol 1 and Vol 2.

Vol 2 has some of my favorite tracks (Nine to ya Dome, Half on a Sack) of Three 6's discography. Of post-2000 albums Da Unbreakables has so many bangers but what a terrible posse song. Most Known Unknown is fire and forget you if you disagree.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Mystic Stylez is easily my favorite, but thats just my bias talking. Also really good are DJ paul and lord infamous come with me to hell part 2 (I dont have part 1 but I assume its also good), Lord infamous first solo album Lord of Terror, Koopsta Kniccas da devils playground (my second favorite of theirs)

Also if you like the sound of early 3 6 check out frayser click. My favorite of theirs/their best known is broken halo. DJ sound is just as good if not producer then paul/juicy j imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ojO0Ich0M&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zye0h4y1lV4&hd=1

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

temple posted:

What?! Tribe = Beatles. Outkast= Nirvana.

Why? Nirvana didn't experiment with so many different styles as Kast did (to my knowledge).

I love ATLiens too, but actually I like Aquemini and Stankonia more. ATLiens and Southernplaya get equal play from me after that, depending on my mood.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

a false posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmUXgvkkqPs

this is eeeeasily the best one of these that p4k has done. cj fly goes innnn at the end but everyone is solid throughout

Is it just me or does this guy sound like Charles Hamilton?

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Outkast = Beatles

I have this theory that OutKast is the only band since the Beatles that was able to reach and appeal to every demographic. Seriously, everyone liked them. They had street cred, critics loved them, other bands loved them, teenagers loved them, and even soccer moms loved them (they all know the lyrics to Hey Ya).

No band since the Beatles had such a critically acclaimed and wide appeal. They discography is incredible and their influence becomes more and more apparent over time.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KidVanguard posted:

I have this theory that OutKast is the only band since the Beatles that was able to reach and appeal to every demographic. Seriously, everyone liked them. They had street cred, critics loved them, other bands loved them, teenagers loved them, and even soccer moms loved them (they all know the lyrics to Hey Ya).

No band since the Beatles had such a critically acclaimed and wide appeal. They discography is incredible and their influence becomes more and more apparent over time.

If by wide appeal you mean appealed to white teens, then yes I totally agree. Also lol at the Beatles having "street cred". Really if I could pick one band to never hear about ever again, it would probably be Radiohead. But if I could pick a second it would likely be the Beatles (fortunately as baby boomers die off/get senile this seems to already be happening but there's always a couple stray clowns who can't stop sucking them off, despite them being totally overrated).

And in more rap-related news, Mr MFN (which is how he's writing it now it seems) Exquire put out a new song/video that's really good. Dude's super talented and I'm glad he's getting some buzz.

Also I checked out Lupe's new song, and I'm left befuddled. His first single where he jacked TROY was pretty good imo, Bad Bitch had maybe the worst actual rapping I've heard from Lupe (he's maybe had worse songs, but usually he's still rapping decently), and Lamborghini Angels was fire. So I figure 2/3 isn't bad, and at least the one that sucked sounded more like him trying something different in flow, rather than having some garbage forced onto him like 90% of his last album. But this new song sounds like it would've fit right in on Lazers (that's not good).

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Ya dude the Beatles were TOTALLY overrated pfffffffffft.

Anyway guys best Beatles samples in rap songs? Beasties - Sound of science. /Beatle chat

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
New Trae & T.I. tapes out.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

alansmithee posted:

If by wide appeal you mean appealed to white teens,.

This is so wrong and stupid. Someone should lock you in a room with Outkast Discography until you learn how to post smart things about rap.

Hootie hoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGuK1x6THiY

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 30, 2012

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

This is so wrong and stupid. Someone should lock you in a room with Outkast Discography until you learn how to post smart things about rap.

I think he was referring to the Beatles only appealing to white teens, whereas Kast actually appeals to everyone.

Alan, were you talking about Exquire's Position of Passion? His raps are as awesome as always, but its an old 50 beat right?

First single from the Main Atttraktionz album is out. Beat by Harry Fraud and a guest spot from DaVinci:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlJiFe-BZWM
This beat and chorus put a big ol smile on my face.

cryme posted:

New Trae & T.I. tapes out.
they any good? I'll give Trae a listen for sure, but T.I.'s last one wasn't that impressive.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

lol you're a riff raff fan so your opinion is worthless when it comes to music (or any other thing likely, besides maybe old amos & andy sketches). And fwiw when they was making music like that they sure as hell weren't getting white teens as fans.

snyprmag posted:

I think he was referring to the Beatles only appealing to white teens, whereas Kast actually appeals to everyone.

Alan, were you talking about Exquire's Position of Passion? His raps are as awesome as always, but its an old 50 beat right?

First single from the Main Atttraktionz album is out. Beat by Harry Fraud and a guest spot from DaVinci:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlJiFe-BZWM
This beat and chorus put a big ol smile on my face.

they any good? I'll give Trae a listen for sure, but T.I.'s last one wasn't that impressive.

Yeah that's the song I was talking about. Didn't know it was a 50 beat though. He still rips it.

Also really hoping the new Main Attrakionz album is nice. 808's and Dark Grapes 2 was really good but uneven. It was never bad, but pretty much the middle of the tape was pretty much perfect. Did anyone pick up that mixtape thing they put up on their bandcamp? I'm really tempted, but $20 would've been a lot back when people actually bought real cds.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzZzXyv3Xi0

despot is the goofiest motherfucker alive and possibly on heroin his bars are actually pretty good tho

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Also really hoping the new Main Attrakionz album is nice. 808's and Dark Grapes 2 was really good but uneven. It was never bad, but pretty much the middle of the tape was pretty much perfect. Did anyone pick up that mixtape thing they put up on their bandcamp? I'm really tempted, but $20 would've been a lot back when people actually bought real cds.

I did. Its got some bangers on it, but I don't think it was worth 20 bucks. I liked this song with Joe Blow a lot

Edit: Here's the old 50 song Position of Power that Exquire rapped over.
Also his feature on Alchemist's album might be my favorite of his so far. He can do that sci-fi mixed with grimey reality story telling really loving well.

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 30, 2012

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Anyone else download that Jazzy Jeff mix? So loving tight, apart from the very beginning (sounds like The Format) and the song he mixed with Niggas In Paris.

Also, this is the MMFE song Alan was talking about but decided not to link so I had to go find it myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWAre5z-Ak

Didn't think much of the beat but Exquire had some bars.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Wow the thread has blew up since I last posted. Few things to add:

-I never like Exquire up until this PoP track so that's relieving

-Alan, I'd rather hear Lupe rap like "Bitch Bad" than "Show Goes On" so I'll take it. Also I'm glad his situation with Atlantic seems to be completely over now (besides the part of he wanting to leave the label).

-Pro Era just got my loving attention! Anyone who can truly "freestyle" like that usually can put out something that's worth copping every once in a while so I'm definitely looking for a mixtape now. Any suggestions?

-I can't really comment on the Beatles because I haven't listen to their work/genre enough, but I sure am tired of hearing about them. Outkast forever!

-Lastly, Riff Raff is poo poo. He's like the white guy at a predominantly black high school who was allowed to hang out with minorities because of any of the following reasons: (a) he had a drug connect (b) he was funny, or (c) he could make a few words rhyme together.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

John Brown posted:

-Pro Era just got my loving attention! Anyone who can truly "freestyle" like that usually can put out something that's worth copping every once in a while so I'm definitely looking for a mixtape now. Any suggestions?

the obvious jumpoff point would be joey bada$$ - 1999 (i'm not sure if it's officially an album or a mixtape). there's some features from the rest of his crew on there but he's the one who has the press right now. it's one of my favorite releases this year in any genre and i can't loving believe dude is just 17, makes me feel ashamed of my own self.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

slothmonster posted:

Last Madchild poo poo I posted didn't get much response but dude dropped another video today that deserves love and attention, between him and Snak :canada: is on point lately which makes me feel good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfDnWLjiw8

Madchild is heavily underrated. Spits real poo poo? check! rides a beat like a wave? check. Excellent lyrical ability? Check. All while keeping it gangster in his own way. Love this dude. America should let him back in.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGoPnrjIm3c

Every single word is from experience and anyone who has dealt with that poo poo (oxycontin addiction specifically but opiates in general) will feel it. Homie goes hard.

Mosaic Perception fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 31, 2012

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

snyprmag posted:

I listened to trae on the way to work today. Beats on point, guest appearances awesome (Ro :allears:), lyrics good. Trae's voice still grates on me a little bit for some reason but I liked the tape.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
This video is everything.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/videos/id.11290/title.2-chainz-f-kanye-west-birthday-song

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Wafflecop posted:

Anyone else download that Jazzy Jeff mix? So loving tight, apart from the very beginning (sounds like The Format) and the song he mixed with Niggas In Paris.

Uhhhhh are you poo poo talkin' Ginuwine's Pony?

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

NeuroticErotica posted:

Rules say if you poo poo talk "Five on it" or "Pony" you gots to go.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Mosaic Perception posted:

Madchild is heavily underrated. Spits real poo poo? check! rides a beat like a wave? check. Excellent lyrical ability? Check. All while keeping it gangster in his own way. Love this dude. America should let him back in.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGoPnrjIm3c

Every single word is from experience and anyone who has dealt with that poo poo (oxycontin addiction specifically but opiates in general) will feel it. Homie goes hard.

Madchild actually stepped up and battled in KOTD too to let his fans know he was back. Not many artists can say that.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Frot Lesnar posted:

Madchild actually stepped up and battled in KOTD too to let his fans know he was back. Not many artists can say that.

On the topic of him being self-aware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfFfsg4lfdA

Dude does it harder than most and gets no attention where it matters. It's sad to be honest. Listening to his poo poo makes ME hungry.

The hardest flow on Em's latest album bit mildchild's flow like his blood was infused with immortality and yet...who sells and who flops? (I didn't say fails on purpose)

edit:
and if you dont know which flow of Em's was the hardest on recovery then gently caress you tooooooooooo! (not you specifically just in general cause poo poo is obvious and for you soft cats naaa it aint the first verse of space bound and for the A.D.D. it aint here we go either).

Mosaic Perception fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 31, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone hear the title track for Brother Ali's upcoming album?
It's kinda a bummer for me, because I've been a huge Brother Ali fan for a while and dig all of his LPs. With each one he'd kinda change up his flow, maybe get a bit more lyrically dense or less lyrically dense or try a different style, sometimes minor changes...but despite that I consistently dug all of the albums.
With Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color, I was pretty excited.
Writer's Block and Not a Day Goes By were pretty rad...but now it turns out neither are on the album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06qWAClqh9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M13sOLyn0ec

Instead I got this hackneyed title track, which kinda feels like a underwhelming Immortal Technique song in 2003 or a Lupe Fiasco song in 2012. Disappointing and treading over ground that a billion other rappers already have (including Ali himself, perhaps far better in a song like "Letter From the Government" or "Uncle Sam Goddamn"), maybe he should have stuck with Ant, here's hoping the rest of the album is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKHsGh-y8d8

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

NeuroticErotica posted:

Just didn't think the vocals sounded good over the beat, everytime I listen to it I end up waiting for Hov. Never listened to much Ginuwine so I haven't got appreiciation for the song on its own.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

He's so boring.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Mosaic Perception posted:

edit:
and if you dont know which flow of Em's was the hardest on recovery then gently caress you tooooooooooo! (not you specifically just in general cause poo poo is obvious and for you soft cats naaa it aint the first verse of space bound and for the A.D.D. it aint here we go either).

Talking about the hardest flow on any recent Em album is like talking about the meanest kitten in a litter. Also I can't think of many things softer than going over loving recovery trying to find the "hardest" verses.

Also dudes really need to chill with the "goes hard" constantly, poo poo's annoying and I thought we got past that awhile ago.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Woke up this morning and realized I haven't listened to CanOx in a minute. Time to change that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuwthdHxBJI

I've seen some rumors that Vordul's homeless, that's hosed if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLzZzoT9pS4

p ill. From Sleeping Dogs video game

• Locked thread