Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The dagger you get from giving the soul of artorias to ciaran seems to have the highest critical rating in the game, I think I'll aim for that for my darkwraith bro for ridiculous hot parry action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I've given the fire ember and divine embers I've found to the blacksmith. Should I not be doing that?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You should be doing that. Embers have a specific Blacksmith they go to, and be given to those Blacksmiths is their specific purpose. With the Large and Divine Embers, you can upgrade stuff to +10, Raw and Divine from a +5 weapon via the Modify Weapon option. Raw is a bad upgrade path, don't do it. +10 is pretty solid for what you typically need, Divine is useful if you're doing a faith build or you're going into a certain area of the game.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Cowcaster posted:

So I've given the fire ember and divine embers I've found to the blacksmith. Should I not be doing that?

That is what they're for, blacksmiths use them to upgrade, they serve no other purpose.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Gazaar posted:

The dagger you get from giving the soul of artorias to ciaran seems to have the highest critical rating in the game, I think I'll aim for that for my darkwraith bro for ridiculous hot parry action.

It's pretty ridiculous. It's probably the only weapon still worth using the hornet ring with because it pushes it from "almost killed everyone in one hit" to "1300 damage try and live through that". The R2 is a bit useless though even if it apparently poisons/Toxics or something? It's super hard to hit with and has a dumb amount of recovery considering it's a dagger.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Made a thief. Took off all of my clothes. Grabbed the parrying dagger.

Let's do this.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rookersh posted:

Anybody want to have some fun with Ornstein and Smough?!

I set aside today to be my "Fun in the Catacombs/with Nito day!", instead it's been 5 hours of straight O&S fights, work, then so far another 3 hours of Ornstein and Smough. Ideally I'd like to kill these bastards before I need to go to bed.

I have no problem on stage one, I just don't have the damage to seal the deal on either Super Ornstein, or Super Smough with my plinky little spear, and Solaire is no help at all this fight. :argh:

I think I'm around SL53/54.

Have you tried not summoning Solaire? Summoning phantoms increases boss health, just so you know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jonjonaug posted:

Have you tried not summoning Solaire? Summoning phantoms increases boss health, just so you know.
Are you serious...?

I wonder if it will be the year 2083 and I'm old and grey and I will still be learning obvious things about this game that I didn't know.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sen's Fortress is so grueling. It's not hard, per se, but the traps. Oh god the traps. Just a split second off and you're falling hard several floors, resetting 10 minutes of work. It's be so much better without the dumb mages! I wish there was a shortcut to one of the upper floors at the very least.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

Anybody want to have some fun with Ornstein and Smough?!

I set aside today to be my "Fun in the Catacombs/with Nito day!", instead it's been 5 hours of straight O&S fights, work, then so far another 3 hours of Ornstein and Smough. Ideally I'd like to kill these bastards before I need to go to bed.

I have no problem on stage one, I just don't have the damage to seal the deal on either Super Ornstein, or Super Smough with my plinky little spear, and Solaire is no help at all this fight. :argh:

I think I'm around SL53/54.

Sure, I can help you out

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sankis posted:

Sen's Fortress is so grueling. It's not hard, per se, but the traps. Oh god the traps. Just a split second off and you're falling hard several floors, resetting 10 minutes of work. It's be so much better without the dumb mages! I wish there was a shortcut to one of the upper floors at the very least.
There is, but it's not at all obvious both where it is and where the key to it is.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Samurai Sanders posted:

There is, but it's not at all obvious both where it is and where the key to it is.

It's the cell door, right? Doesn't that lead up to the very top of the fortress? I want something like "You reached the third section of swinging blades! Kick this ladder down and get here from the entrance"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sankis posted:

It's the cell door, right? Doesn't that lead up to the very top of the fortress? I want something like "You reached the third section of swinging blades! Kick this ladder down and get here from the entrance"
Oh, in that case no.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I have a Pyromancy Glove +10 now, so Quelanna should be in the swamp now? And does it matter when I ascend the Pyromancy Flame? Will it be better if I wait until +15, or does it simply reset to "Super Pyromancy Flame" regardless of if it was +10 or higher? Once I polish off the boss of Sen's Fortress, I figure I'll be paying her a visit.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

Sure, I can help you out

I'm just chilling near the fog gate, if you want to drop a sign there.

jonjonaug posted:

Please tell me you are joking. I've lost to those to so many times because I brought in a phantom who proceeded to do gently caress all and die to Smough or some such nonsense. Or to Solaire spamming lightning spear at Ornstein. Or to Solaire attacking Ornstein before Smough, causing me to have to fight Super Smough.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Artix74 posted:

So I have a Pyromancy Glove +10 now, so Quelanna should be in the swamp now? And does it matter when I ascend the Pyromancy Flame? Will it be better if I wait until +15, or does it simply reset to "Super Pyromancy Flame" regardless of if it was +10 or higher?
You can only ascend it with her, and you can only do it once it reaches +15.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Tomb of the Giants:

Gravelord Nito was a surprisingly easy fight, the only thing that got me were those screaming graveswords, couldn't get the timing right, but they didn't hurt that much. What sucks is I forgot to level the covenant up to get the Greater Gravesword Dance before I killed him. Oh well NG+ will cover that.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Sankis posted:

You can make a shortcut when you get to the very end. I found the fortress became a lot more manageable when I realized most of it was crazy optional poo poo. Of course I made this realization after I had already done the crazy optional poo poo, but still.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I'd keep Solaire, since I think the first part of that fight is harder than the second stage.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rookersh posted:

Please tell me you are joking. I've lost to those to so many times because I brought in a phantom who proceeded to do gently caress all and die to Smough or some such nonsense. Or to Solaire spamming lightning spear at Ornstein. Or to Solaire attacking Ornstein before Smough, causing me to have to fight Super Smough.

Not joking, that's how it works.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

You can make a shortcut when you get to the very end. I found the fortress became a lot more manageable when I realized most of it was crazy optional poo poo. Of course I made this realization after I had already done the crazy optional poo poo, but still.

What exactly do you mean by very end? The top or before the boss? I just hate getting hit by a swinging blade and instantly dying and having to super carefully creep my way back up again. It's the only part of the game where that bugs me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tractor fanatic posted:

I'd keep Solaire, since I think the first part of that fight is harder than the second stage.
For O&S the main thing you need is a warm body to attract one or the other of them so only one of them is fighting with you. Hell, I usually take that role for the first half of the fight when I am phantoming for someone.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Sankis posted:

What exactly do you mean by very end? The top or before the boss? I just hate getting hit by a swinging blade and instantly dying and having to super carefully creep my way back up again. It's the only part of the game where that bugs me.

It's like the room just before the room with the fog door at the top. It'll be pretty obvious when you it, but you'll have to scrounge around one of the upper towers for the key, maybe the one with the merchant in it. It's all after the swinging blade bullshit unfortunately.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

My sign's down at the base of the stairs.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sankis posted:

If you're not using Haval's Ring, now is the time to bust it out (or just go naked). I was getting really pissed off at the traps until I remembered that I could easily give myself max speed and just run right past the full sets of close traps.

Filthy Monkey posted:

You can only ascend it with her, and you can only do it once it reaches +15.

Bah, well at least I'll be able to pick up some new toys and I can work on getting up to +15 in the meantime.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Speaking of the 2nd pyro trainer, are any of her spells useful in any way? Flame Whip sounded cool, but it looks a lot less impressive in motion.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Great Combustion is the best thing ever, Great Fireball, Firestorm

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Perfect Potato posted:

Speaking of the 2nd pyro trainer, are any of her spells useful in any way? Flame Whip sounded cool, but it looks a lot less impressive in motion.

Great Fireball and Great Combustion are incredible. Talk to her a few times while saving and quitting between each time until she asks you to help her family. Come back after killing the Bed of Chaos for a Fire Tempest, which owns and is very underused.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Whenever I put "Need humanity" on the ground, it makes me mad to read the next soapstone message I see rated at 14. "Good luck!" would be someone giving me some humanity!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Captain Ironblood posted:

Whenever I put "Need humanity" on the ground, it makes me mad to read the next soapstone message I see rated at 14. "Good luck!" would be someone giving me some humanity!

Do you get humanity when someone rates your message or something? I see those "need humanity" messages before bosses but I thought they were just telling me to use co-op to beat the boss(fat chance).

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Is anybody who's in the DLC at around SL80 able to do some coop with me? I'm trying to (optional DLC boss spoiler) cut Kalameet's tail, but it's literally impossible to do alone unless you get extremely lucky.

Lork fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 30, 2012

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I tried doing some summoning around the final Anor Londo bonfire (before Ornstein and Smough), and none of it was working. Occasionally I'd try and place my own white sign, but the soapstone was grayed out, and every so often the bonfire went out, which scared the crap out of me until it relit.

What's going on with any of that, particular the grayed-out soapstone and the bonfire going out?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Lork posted:

Is anybody who's in the DLC able to do some coop with me? I'm trying to (optional DLC boss spoiler) cut Kalameet's tail, but it's literally impossible to do alone unless you get extremely lucky.

It's not too hard to do. Just be patient. Make sure you have fastroll.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you get humanity when someone rates your message or something? I see those "need humanity" messages before bosses but I thought they were just telling me to use co-op to beat the boss(fat chance).

Could be people running low on humanity and hoping that people they summon will gift them some. You do not get humanity for your messages ratings.Apparently you do get soft humanity from ratings

Trap Star fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 30, 2012

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Wild Knight posted:

I tried doing some summoning around the final Anor Londo bonfire (before Ornstein and Smough), and none of it was working. Occasionally I'd try and place my own white sign, but the soapstone was grayed out, and every so often the bonfire went out, which scared the crap out of me until it relit.

What's going on with any of that, particular the grayed-out soapstone and the bonfire going out?

Invasion

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yes, you gain soft humanity if your message is rated. Any message that says "Need humanity" is someone begging for a rating so they can get some sweet, sweet humanity.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wow, now I feel bad for not rating those. In case anyone doesn't know, apparently at release you needed soapstone to rate messages but you can do it for free now by reading the message and then hitting the gesture key.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

...That often? I guess the fact that it was relighting meant they couldn't connect, but it was seriously only lit about a fifth of the time I was sitting in that room.

Anor Londo sucks.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm on a New Game +3 run now. I went through the entirety of the game up until S+O wearing nothing but the Symbol of Avarice in about 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Phantoms do increase boss health but for O&S in particular Solaire is still super useful because distracting the one you're not fighting helps a lot and is sometimes all you need.

Contrast with summoning Beatrice for the 4 Kings, where she does gently caress all damage and the extra health she gives them means more time with multiple kings on the field, and you are literally worse off in every way summoning her

• Locked thread