Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd say Legend of Mana is a world-building game, in that the focus is on the world itself, as there's no real main plot and your character's nothing more than an observer who sometimes jumps in and helps. Rather, the focus is on the various peoples that inhabit the world and all the stuff that goes on in it.

I think the Elder Scroll games could also be seen as world-building, as the focus (at least to me) is exploration of these massive worlds full of lore and crazy stuff. It's moreso about the area you're in and its history than the various plot lines or the characters.

If Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII ends up like either of the above examples, I might get much more interested in it. Of course, that depends on how developed this world actually is, and what SE really means by "World-building." As long as it's not "Hey, we doubled the size of the Datalog!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Azraden posted:

Also 'You are free to ponder the philosophical aspects of life as you experience the world as our hero'

Final Fantasy games have been pretentious as all gently caress since VII, so I don't see that sentence as anything more than par for the course.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII

gently caress me, that's a terrible title. I'll reserve judgment on the actual thing, when there's stuff to see.

Dirge of Cerberus Final Fantasy VII. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII. Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy. It's the same dumb convention they've been using for a while now, but no one will call it anything besides Lightning Returns or 13-3.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

precision posted:

Final Fantasy games have been pretentious as all gently caress since VII, so I don't see that sentence as anything more than par for the course.

Oh my hero
So far away now
Will I ever see your smile~

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Electromax posted:

Dirge of Cerberus Final Fantasy VII. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII. Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy. It's the same dumb convention they've been using for a while now, but no one will call it anything besides Lightning Returns or 13-3.

I'm more :psyduck: at the "Lightning Returns" than the FF title. It's like they chose the most generic title they could possibly imagine.

I mean, as unusual as say, "Theatrhythm" or "Dissidia Duodecim" look or sound, it's more imaginative than just "x Returns". Like, what if Advent Children was "Cloud Returns" or "Sephiroth Returns". Or God of War IV was "Kratos Returns".

Hell, even "FFXIII-3: Surly Agressive Rose Valkyrie Mcpunchespeople" would be something more than just, "Lightning Returns" :effort:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 1, 2012

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The stuff in the video about how the world runs on a schedule and you have to wait for trains and poo poo sounds so tedious, hopefully they won't go too far with that.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Tempo 119 posted:

The stuff in the video about how the world runs on a schedule and you have to wait for trains and poo poo sounds so tedious, hopefully they won't go too far with that.

It's a bit sad, because I would've LOVED to have that when I was like 12 and wanted to really immerse myself in the world.

I expected FF12 to be like this from the previews, with airships going everywhere, a real, breathing world with people and times, something really unique to FF.

Now I'm in college and don't have that sense of wonder and haven't got 100000 hours to waste talking to every NPC ever. :smith: Growing up is harsh, sometimes.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII.

I also returned FFXIII. Awful game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Waiting for trains and poo poo sounds awesome.

Final Fantasy Shenmue, baby.

Tempo 119 posted:

Hopefully they do!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If they do that, hopefully they let you change the time to whenever immediately like Xenoblade.

Though if the thirteen days happens real-time and there's tons of different things to do and endings to get, that'd be kinda cool too. Not that I really expect that much freedom in Final Fantasy, but still.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mega64 posted:

If they do that, hopefully they let you change the time to whenever immediately like Xenoblade.

Though if the thirteen days happens real-time and there's tons of different things to do and endings to get, that'd be kinda cool too. Not that I really expect that much freedom in Final Fantasy, but still.

FFXIII Majora's Mask?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Electromax posted:

FFXIII Majora's Mask?

Now THAT is a drat good idea. An FF where the team does NOT stop the villain, the world ends, and we have to find ways to re-do the adventure so as to ensure he doesn't win.

Imagine if FF6 were like that and it ended when Kefka nukes the planet. You'd have to replay things like, say, Sabin's scenario and kill Kefka then.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Is Lightning actually a popular character with the fans back home or something? It seems they're putting her in every new game they release. Do people actually think she's a good character? I mean, I've known grapefruits with more personality.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is Lightning actually a popular character with the fans back home or something? It seems they're putting her in every new game they release. Do people actually think she's a good character? I mean, I've known grapefruits with more personality.

It's probably because she's one of the less obnoxious of the Final Fantasy XIII grapefruits. Hope is the most insufferable, and Vanille and Snow grate on me, personally. Sazh is just likable, while Fang is okay, because she doesn't have any of the odious personality traits that Hope, Snow or Vanille have.

It's really that Lightining is a good character...in comparison (and this is the important thing) to say, Serah or any of the other cardboard cutouts.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The whole presentation just seems obtuse to me. Especially that whole "outfits that not only change you apperance, but affect your gameplay!". Wow, so armor has stats and shows on the character model. w0w. At least it's better than Resonance of Fate, where clothing was pretty much all just for show.

There'd better be Guardian Corps. and Valkyrie armor unlocks for having platinum trophies in the prior games, SE. :colbert:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's probably because she's one of the less obnoxious of the Final Fantasy XIII grapefruits. Hope is the most insufferable, and Vanille and Snow grate on me, personally. Sazh is just likable, while Fang is okay, because she doesn't have any of the odious personality traits that Hope, Snow or Vanille have.

It's really that Lightining is a good character...in comparison (and this is the important thing) to say, Serah or any of the other cardboard cutouts.

Yea, that's fair. I was just wondering if she's popular back in Japan to a point where her face actually sells games.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Moldy Taxes posted:

The whole presentation just seems obtuse to me. Especially that whole "outfits that not only change you apperance, but affect your gameplay!".

Worked well for TWEWY.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just barely liked XIII, and XIII-2 was not a lot better (but it was better), but I honestly liked Lightning a lot. Not really sure why, other than "she was badass".

Fang was way cooler though. Why can't we have a Fang/Vanille prequel game or something? People hate on Vanille but she made me smile. :shobon:

Also "Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII" has got to be an in-joke. The company has been tactfully apologizing for the poor design decisions of XIII for a while now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yea, that's fair. I was just wondering if she's popular back in Japan to a point where her face actually sells games.

Ah, okay.

I don't know. I know that Rinoa is pretty well liked over there. Lightning must be moderately popular at least, if they're focusing on her. Even the box art has her on it. Which I didn't like as much considering the PAL box art just normally has the logo on it, but hey ho.

precision posted:

People hate on Vanille but she made me smile. :shobon:

I didn't like her voice and mannerisms, and didn't buy the whole "I'm smiling to hide the tears" type thing she's got going on. Fang was pretty great though.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

FFXIII Majora's Mask?

Better comparison might be Radiata Stories since that's a tri-Ace game with the same gimmick

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Could Lightning time travel? I honestly can't remember. Maybe since this game is supposed to be the last in the FF 13 series they'll have multiple endings or something this time.

Also making it Majora's Mask style kinda sounds annoying, if it is actually 13 days.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mister Roboto posted:

Worked well for TWEWY.

TWEWY outfits don't change though. They're essentially jRPG armour.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cityinthesea posted:

Also making it Majora's Mask style kinda sounds annoying, if it is actually 13 days.

I'm sure they mentioned it somewhere, that time is basically used as a type of currency; doing certain actions/events/whatever will subtract time from the total. So hopefully it won't be too unbearable. And knowing FFXIII, there'll be menus that you could go to to get the appointed hour or day or whatnot, like the travel in XIII-2. At least, if they're going to be sensible about it.*

*Hope springs eternal.

In the meantime, I wonder if they're going to announce that they've finally cancelled Versus, rather than leave it hanging in purgatory. The Schrödinger's game, of simultaneously being in development, and yet not having nothing to show for it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 1, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm sure they mentioned it somewhere, that time is basically used as a type of currency; doing certain actions/events/whatever will subtract time from the total. So hopefully it won't be too unbearable. And knowing FFXIII, there'll be menus that you could go to to get the appointed hour or day or whatnot, like the travel in XIII-2. At least, if they're going to be sensible about it.*

*Hope springs eternal.

Specifically, they brought up situations like where if Lightning took out an antagonistic group of enemies, then the clock would move back, but if she "performed miracles", then it would move forward. Apparently this is all based on the Doomsday Clock?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Lightning Returns sounds loving awesome. XIII-2 was great, and if Hamauzu's on board to compose this will be incredible.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesky Splinter posted:

*Hope springs eternal.

In the meantime, I wonder if they're going to announce that they've finally cancelled Versus, rather than leave it hanging in purgatory. The Schrödinger's game, of simultaneously being in development, and yet not having nothing to show for it.

We'll see the same CG we've been seeing for years, but with an additional 15 seconds of new footage including characters moving their mouths but no subtitle or voice acting (because Somnus is playing).

Which is depressive as hell because FFv13 has been the one game from Square I've got interested since... 2001?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cardboard Fox posted:

It doesn't matter, SE wanted to have 10 years of XIII even before they were done making the first game. :eng99:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Cardboard Fox posted:

It feels like they're punishing us for their terrible development decisions. "We spent too long making the first game, so you're never going to forget Lightning whether you like her or not". It's even worse here than XIII-2, because the game sounds absolutely nothing like the first two games. This could've been its own independent thing, but they kept it XIII themed just to save face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Lightning is one of the more popular FInal Fantasy protagonists period. As far as personality goes, she's also ahead of the game for most FF protagonists. (That's more a slam on FF protagonists than anything but still.)

As far as I've heard, they got slammed a lot for not making Lightning the protagonist of the sequel, especially after all the advertising made it seem like it was a Lightning game. Enough to make the sequel just "This game loving stars Lightning this time, we swear."

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've heard of her referred to as "female Cloud" multiple times. Is this the main reason the fans seem to take a liking to her? If so, why not just model Cloud into the XIII engine and use the remaining art assets to make a game based around him. That would surely sell a lot of copies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've heard of her referred to as "female Cloud" multiple times. Is this the main reason the fans seem to take a liking to her? If so, why not just model Cloud into the XIII engine and use the remaining art assets to make a game based around him. That would surely sell a lot of copies.

When asked to do her original design they based it somewhat off Cloud from FFVII. That's it. That and the fact she's an ex-soldier with superpowers. Her personality is not remotely like Cloud's. Not even dour stupid FFVII:AC Cloud.To my understanding the English version of the game has a completely poo poo localization and a lot of her personality is changed from 'hot-blooded and pissed off' to 'stoic ice queen," which probably influences opinions.

She is popular for a few reasons.

A) She's voiced by Maaya Sakamoto, a popular voice actress with a large fanbase. A lot of people will buy stuff Maaya Sakamoto is in just because she's in it. (This is also presumably why she voices Aerith and Aya Brea as well.)

B) She is the first unarguable female protagonist in a FF game, and the first female protagonist at all since Terra from FFVI. She's also the first which is an effective badass instead of a "I'm so sad" girl. She is more popular with female players in Japan than any protagonist since Squall (IIRC). In fact, one of the big reasons FFXIII-2 sold less is that a lot fewer female players in Japan bought the game.

It's worth remembering that FF has a large female fanbase and they're not as often the people you see complaining on the internet. While FFX is overall the most popular in Japan, FF8 had the largest slice of female fans from what I recall.

C) She's the first protagonist in a long time who isn't a cheerful teenager/effectively teenager boy's manga goon type. (Zidane, Tidus and Vaan.) To my understanding this makes her pretty distinctive to Japanese fans.

D) She looks cool fighting, which is enough to earn a fanbase on its own.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 1, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Honestly, and this is not flippant at all, I think most of the Lightning slamming is coming from Western FF fans online who are older and grew up on the series' early SNES/PSX days.

I really haven't read or seen as much HATE on Japanese messageboards and forums as I do on ones populated by "old school" FF fans.

She may not be the most popular character of all time, but she's definitely not unpopular, either, with the younger Japanese audience. And that's the target demographic for FF, always has been.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

ImpAtom posted:

To my understanding the English version of the game has a completely poo poo localization and a lot of her personality is changed from 'hot-blooded and pissed off' to 'stoic ice queen," which probably influences opinions.

Yea, this makes a lot of sense. She just comes off really neutral in XIII and incredibly boring. I can't recall even a single line she said during the whole game. Maybe she gets better in XIII-2 , but I haven't played it yet.

I'm just always curious to see how the Japanese audience perceives these characters compared to the west, and how much of an impact localization can actually have.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mister Roboto posted:

-- Something literally said in every single FF game announcement in the past 5 years.

Theatrhythm, Versus, Agito, Novalis, etc.

Final Fantasy XIII-7: Violenta Ani Ibi Prolapsum

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've heard of her referred to as "female Cloud" multiple times.

I thought she was supposed to be stylistically related to Cloud and Squall (I mean, the name fits) but personality-wise she's everything those two wanted to be but never were (ie competent).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

I thought she was supposed to be stylistically related to Cloud and Squall (I mean, the name fits) but personality-wise she's everything those two wanted to be but never were (ie competent).

And all the while so incredibly bland that while nobody outright hates her like we all do Squall, nobody actually likes her either because unlike Cloud, there isn't actually anything there to like, except perhaps polygonal asscheeks, but even then only if your name is Primoman :v:

v Well when your competition is the rest of FF13's spastic special ed classroom escapees, it's not very difficult to be the best character in a game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 1, 2012

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

The White Dragon posted:

And all the while so incredibly bland that while nobody outright hates her like we all do Squall, nobody actually likes her either because unlike Cloud, there isn't actually anything there to like except polygonal asscheeks if that's your thing.

Japan thinks Lightning is the best character in FF13.

Japan also thinks Hope is the 2nd best character in FF13, so don't take their opinion to seriously.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

When asked to do her original design they based it somewhat off Cloud from FFVII. That's it. That and the fact she's an ex-soldier with superpowers. Her personality is not remotely like Cloud's. Not even dour stupid FFVII:AC Cloud.To my understanding the English version of the game has a completely poo poo localization and a lot of her personality is changed from 'hot-blooded and pissed off' to 'stoic ice queen," which probably influences opinions.

Wait, really? I have never heard that she was hot-blooded in the JP version, it's kind of perplexing that SE USA seriously thought that was a good style of voice for her. Especially since Ali Hillis is actually rather talented and could certainly give Lightning a more forceful voice if the ADR director was competent.

EDIT:

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Japan also thinks Hope is the 2nd best character in FF13, so don't take their opinion to seriously.

I dunno, I agree with putting Hope up there since I sympathized with him in his desires to murder Snow, seemed pretty reasonable to me given how Snow was absolutely insufferable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If it were Sazh Returns I might consider it.

Not really. I've seen these games' battle system in action but I don't really understand what is happening in it, which seems to me like it defeats the purpose of having menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hope is a good character because he actually has an arc and goes from being "whiny little poo poo" to somebody I actually liked. I was really surprised by that.