Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

PureRok posted:

Xenoblade just arrived. Any beginner tips or things I should know going into this? Any newbie traps to avoid?

1) Give the plot some time. It starts off with the usual JRPG tropes (Slightly-Emo Protagonist hangs out with his Childhood Love Interest and Big Dumb Best Friend in the Shiny, Happy Village Where Nothing Ever Goes Wrong.). However, the story picks up quickly and is very engaging.

2) If Gem-Crafting isn't your thing (like me), you'll still do fine in the game.

3) Explore! There are secret areas to find, side quests to do, boss monsters to fight.

4) Never have time for small fry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

CowboyAndy posted:

1) Give the plot some time. It starts off with the usual JRPG tropes (Slightly-Emo Protagonist hangs out with his Childhood Love Interest and Big Dumb Best Friend in the Shiny, Happy Village Where Nothing Ever Goes Wrong.). However, the story picks up quickly and is very engaging.

2) If Gem-Crafting isn't your thing (like me), you'll still do fine in the game.

3) Explore! There are secret areas to find, side quests to do, boss monsters to fight.

4) Never have time for small fry!

5) It's always Reyn time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zero_Tactility posted:

5) It's always Reyn time.

6) rikisneaky

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Mazed posted:

This will happen even if you don't wander into the wrong area.

But by all means, do feel free to swim around the various batteries in Colony 9 and, you know, check out the local wildlife. :allears:

Wrong area can mean many things. In this case, it means five hundred feat from the starting town.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PureRok posted:

Xenoblade just arrived. Any beginner tips or things I should know going into this? Any newbie traps to avoid?

I have one to add. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need the usual trifecta of tank/healer/DPS in your party. You don't. Change up your party! Each character brings something different to the table and it's worth trying them all out. You can even not have the main protagonist in your party!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Mak0rz posted:

I like Sharla. Am I dumb for liking Sharla? :saddowns:

It's totally possible to go through the whole game without taking Sharla out of your party, and she's mandatory for some of the boss battles (Shulk Reyn Sharla will take you through most of the game). However, a party like Shulk Riki Seven or Melia Dunban Shulk will kill much, much faster, making you level a lot faster, and if you get your levels high enough you can just topple lock the enemy all day and not worry about healing (or you can just run naked Dunban.) Shulk Riki Seven ended up being my favorite non-topple party overall just because it actually has enough healing to be viable and the damage is utterly absurd, and Melia Dunban Shulk is death to anything that can topple.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Wii Homebrew Question:

I've been playing my disc copy of Xenoblade for a while now. I do like it but I don't have time for a ton of grinding. I remember something like Gameshark being available for games when you used their SoftCD players for burned discs - Ocarina codes I think?

Does it seem feasible to load my real copy of the game through that and cheat in some Colony 6 materials, for instance?

Additional question:

Seven's 4th Skill Tree is awesome. Does anyone else have awesome trees that don't take 10000 hours? I'm partial to Dunban and Melia myself, but I don't know if it'd be worth the time. And the Wikia is pretty useless as for what's in their trees.

Skychrono fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 31, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

bef posted:

Don't sell your collectibles/items

Does this mean I shouldn't sell Materials?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Skychrono - You can skip a lot of the grind in Colony 6 by looking up who will trade you the items you need. Not all of it. Xenoblade was difficult enough to get running nicely with Dolphin that I said gently caress it and continued playing on the Wii.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

PureRok posted:

Does this mean I shouldn't sell Materials?

Yep. There's a fair amount of collecting quests in the game, but if you don't sell anything you shouldn't have to worry it. You might be killing mobs with the materials and come around to a quest later in the game so its advisable that you don't.

Near the endgame you might not have enough space to keep everything but by then you can probably throw away some materials that you've used in previous quests. Try to keep the rare materials over the common drops.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
After restarting this game twice, I finally got Seven, and now I can't remember how to kit them out for DPS. Is it all Speed gear, or do people use Strength gear?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Principally speed + double attack. Strength if you have room.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Do I prioritize Agility over Strength for Armor? I can't remember if Agility affects autoattack speed. In the weapons I'm using Haste and Double Attack gems at the moment.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I don't think so. Haste affects autoattack speed. I believe agility modifies to hit chance (for monsters above your level) and dodging. Still it is good to load up Seven with maximum agility because Seven is so fragile.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
Beat the game last night. In true Xeno-RPG fashion, you go from being able to slay the (equivalent of) the common rabbit to destroying god. (And I loved it.) I had a bit of difficulty because I stopped playing just before the Mechonis Core and didn't pick the game up for a couple of months so I'd forgotten some of the mechanics (ie: Monado Shield only works against talent arts with a number, use Monado Speed to block talent arts in red), but once I remembered those particular nuances the final boss felt less cheap than he did the first few times my party wiped.

All in all I really enjoyed the game, though compared to other Xeno-works the characters just weren't that interesting. I also felt like the aesthetic design got kind of ridiculous near the end, to the point of looking less intricate and more just noisy. The gameplay, however, stayed very satisfying throughout and the difficulty ramp-up kept things so that you never felt over-powered or gimped. (I didn't do all that much side-questing; I'd imagine if you maxed out town affinity the endgame would be cakewalk.) There were a number of latter boss-fights where I won with only one party member left standing because the DoTs took away the last pixel of health. :hellyeah:

In the Bionis Interior and a good chunk of Prison Island my party was Melia/Riki/Reyn, and man did it get ridiculous. Reyn could hold aggro well enough that I could keep spamming Melia's summons without fear of getting stomped. I really like just how wildly different varying party combinations could play, and I never really encountered a setup that felt truly weak.

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 1, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

GFBeach posted:

All in all I really enjoyed the game, though compared to other Xeno-works the characters just weren't that interesting.

The main thing that strikes me about much of the cast is that they're deliberate throwbacks to previous Xeno characters (mostly for 'gears), which may or may not have affected one's perception of them.

Shulk is a scientist/engineer like Shion with a bizarre backstory not unlike Fei's, Dunban is a clear iteration of Citan and Jin, Melia's role is similar to Bart's and looks almost like Marguerite with a palette-swap (which would probably make Kalian Sigurd), and the Seventh is an Elly/KOS-MOS hybrid. Reyn, Riki, and Sharla don't have any clear predecessors, unless you want to somehow count Chu-Chu for Riki, only by virtue of being a small animal-thing (and there the comparisons end, but too bad Riki couldn't grow giant-sized), and Reyn combines Ziggy's playstyle with Bart's personality (and if you ever play Xenogears again, you now must imagine all of Bart's lines in Reyn's voice).

As for villains/supporting cast, (endgame spoilers) Dickson is a bit of Grahf/Lacan/Khan Wong, Lorithia is Miang, Egil is Krelian, Metal Face has some traits of Ramsus, Meyneth is The Mother/original Anti-Type (see especially: her connection with Fiora), Zanza is almost literally Deus, just with dialogue, and Alvis is the Wave Existence + chaos.

And others. I could, of course, be just seeing these parallels only 'cause I was actively looking for them while I played. :v:

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Mazed posted:

The main thing that strikes me about much of the cast is that they're deliberate throwbacks to previous Xeno characters (mostly for 'gears), which may or may not have affected one's perception of them.

Shulk is a scientist/engineer like Shion with a bizarre backstory not unlike Fei's, Dunban is a clear iteration of Citan and Jin, Melia's role is similar to Bart's and looks almost like Marguerite with a palette-swap (which would probably make Kalian Sigurd), and the Seventh is an Elly/KOS-MOS hybrid. Reyn, Riki, and Sharla don't have any clear predecessors, unless you want to somehow count Chu-Chu for Riki, only by virtue of being a small animal-thing (and there the comparisons end, but too bad Riki couldn't grow giant-sized), and Reyn combines Ziggy's playstyle with Bart's personality (and if you ever play Xenogears again, you now must imagine all of Bart's lines in Reyn's voice).

As for villains/supporting cast, (endgame spoilers) Dickson is a bit of Grahf/Lacan/Khan Wong, Lorithia is Miang, Egil is Krelian, Metal Face has some traits of Ramsus, Meyneth is The Mother/original Anti-Type (see especially: her connection with Fiora), Zanza is almost literally Deus, just with dialogue, and Alvis is the Wave Existence + chaos.

And others. I could, of course, be just seeing these parallels only 'cause I was actively looking for them while I played. :v:

I get that a bunch of the characters were throwbacks, but I'd honestly rather have new characters versus thinking "oh great, they're just copying 'x' from their last game". One or two nods to previous works is fine, but not for the majority of the key players; it just feels lazy. I'm still quite satisfied with the story overall, even if it didn't wow me as much as Xenogears. At least Xenoblade was actually finished. v:shobon:v

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm...not really seeing the parallels but okay. Lorithia is probably the biggest stretch of them all too :psyduck:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Some of those parallels (Dunban, Alvis) work a lot better than others (Lorithia). I think it's important to distinguish something that actually is a parallel or rehash of a character, to something original where you're trying to force them into an "everything must be a rehash" pattern.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I restarted it the other day because I got stuck under levelled and seriously it's fantastic. The game eventually opens up around the five hour mark and you sometimes just marvel at the depth in scenery.

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010
Wait, did I just bust a Nopon drug smuggling ring in a sidequest chain? :stare: Nopon really are the best JRPG critters ever.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm...not really seeing the parallels but okay. Lorithia is probably the biggest stretch of them all too :psyduck:

Point...come to think of it, Dickson incorporates more of Miang, seeing as how she at least tried not to seem overtly sinister in the beginning, whereas Lorithia gives off the "obviously evil" vibe the second she shows up.

Vil posted:

I think it's important to distinguish something that actually is a parallel or rehash of a character, to something original where you're trying to force them into an "everything must be a rehash" pattern.

And yeah, they're all more like general parallels than copy/paste jobs.

Well, except Alvis. If you played Xenosaga, there's no way you didn't go "'sup chaos" the second he appeared.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I tell you what though, I definitely read Lorithia and Alvis wrong entirely and thought they were going to play out much differently than they did.

wefeelgroove posted:

Wait, did I just bust a Nopon drug smuggling ring in a sidequest chain? :stare: Nopon really are the best JRPG critters ever.

Well there's always that part of the game where you help a sketchy Nopon set up what amounts to a hidden drug lab in the back woods of Satorl Marsh. And of course, first one's free, as the saying goes. Afterward he tells you to piss off and cuts dialog once your business is complete.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
All xeno games are babbys first Gnosticism complete with demiurges.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nathilus posted:

All xeno games are babbys first Gnosticism complete with demiurges.

But only Xenoblade gives us Red Pollen Orbs.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Why is it so difficult to find monsters around level 25 - level 30? I need to get stronger against Xord and everything I'm finding is sub Level 21 or that giant turtle thing in the Knee which takes like 5-10 minutes to beat. Anything higher than Level 30 when I'm Level 27 just owns me quick.

Sigh, I guess I'll just level up through fetch quests.

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Well there's always that part of the game where you help a sketchy Nopon set up what amounts to a hidden drug lab in the back woods of Satorl Marsh. And of course, first one's free, as the saying goes. Afterward he tells you to piss off and cuts dialog once your business is complete.

I did that quest chain so long before getting this one that I had completely forgotten about it. When I ended up finding that guy again and had to grill him for information it all clicked into place.

Last night I finally went through (super late-game, lvl 70+ area) the Mechonis Core and that felt like a solid hour of poo poo Getting Real. I cringed every time the Mechonis struck the Bionis and when it was all finally over I realized my jaw was hanging open. They really pulled out all the stops with that one. :psyduck:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I just beat the game, finally, after having it for over a year!

They really like to hammer home the moral of the story, don't they? We get it, demiurges are bad, we don't need them.

In all seriousness though, really great game, and I heartily recommend it to anyone even if you're on the fence or sour about JRPGs.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Why is it so difficult to find monsters around level 25 - level 30? I need to get stronger against Xord and everything I'm finding is sub Level 21 or that giant turtle thing in the Knee which takes like 5-10 minutes to beat. Anything higher than Level 30 when I'm Level 27 just owns me quick.

Ether Mine has regular enemies up to 23. Besides the level 32 turtles and the level 68+ other-things, that's as high as you get. (Though you can of course still gain levels when you're above 23, so long as you're not too far above that.)

In general though, you should expect to be anywhere from a boss's level to 2-3 levels below the boss (since they tend to be higher than everything else around them). If you're having trouble with Xord but you're able to make it through the enemies to get to him, it's probably not a matter of levels so much as strategy.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There are level 30 enemies around Colony, 9 I believe around some of the batteries.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You're right, I forgot about those. Colony 9 also has level 34-38 enemies on the east coast.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm of the opinion that if you're grinding in Xenoblade at any point before the endgame content (possible exception is before a couple of the near-endgame bosses), you're doing something wrong. This is a game that throws experience at you for any reason it can find. If you're really feeling underleveled, go do some sidequests or finish exploring Bionis's Leg for landmarks.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Secret locations, if you seek them out, are almost guaranteed level-ups. There's one inside the Ether Mines, a particular body of water after a long side-tunnel, and there's at least one I recall on Bionis' Leg -- head towards the Daksha Shrine (be sure to get killed by the huge horrifying bug at least once, it's a rite of passage) and drop down to the right, down a climbable wall and through a tunnel. Watch out for enormous birds that will also destroy you easily.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'm of the opinion that if you're grinding in Xenoblade at any point before the endgame content (possible exception is before a couple of the near-endgame bosses), you're doing something wrong. This is a game that throws experience at you for any reason it can find. If you're really feeling underleveled, go do some sidequests or finish exploring Bionis's Leg for landmarks.

What if you just can't help yourself? I have a clear objective in Mechonis Field, but I keep running around questing to unlock skill trees and help rebuild Colony 6. I would dearly love a walkthrough page that tells you everything possible you can do when you're at a certain point.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What if you just can't help yourself? I have a clear objective in Mechonis Field, but I keep running around questing to unlock skill trees and help rebuild Colony 6. I would dearly love a walkthrough page that tells you everything possible you can do when you're at a certain point.

The largest walkthrough on GameFAQs is organized exactly like that, and has no spoilers.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Skychrono posted:

The largest walkthrough on GameFAQs is organized exactly like that, and has no spoilers.

To be fair, that works against it when you're at the endgame around level 70, the level 70-99 quests all open up, and the walkthrough blithely assumes you can do the 90s stuff just as immediately as the 70s stuff.

Anyway, that walkthrough is good about letting you know everything you can do at a given point in the plot, but it's not at all good about actually putting those into any sort of reasonable order beyond that.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Vil posted:

To be fair, that works against it when you're at the endgame around level 70, the level 70-99 quests all open up, and the walkthrough blithely assumes you can do the 90s stuff just as immediately as the 70s stuff.

Anyway, that walkthrough is good about letting you know everything you can do at a given point in the plot, but it's not at all good about actually putting those into any sort of reasonable order beyond that.

That's fair. It's mostly for people who want to do EVERYTHING as SOON AS THEY CAN. If you're not interested in Colony 6 or anything else, just skim it.

It's actually pretty bad as a guide for anything else, since it doesn't discuss boss strategy or anything.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I was actually going into more depth about that but fake edited it out before posting. Here is the author's YouTube playthrough of the game.

Highlights include being up-front about using cheat codes to be OP throughout the game. And if he did this during any playthrough(s) for writing the walkthrough too, that explains an awful lot when it comes to quest ordering and (lack of) battle strategies.

I've been toying with the idea of doing my own in-game research and digging through the JP websites to make a more accurate, useful, and in-depth guide for the NPC/affinity chart/questing system. It's probably one of those things that will be "yeah, that'd be really nice if I could do that" that I won't ever get around to.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The sad thing for me is that I am interested in doing colony 6 stuff, but in order to do that I pretty much am forced to do all the quests for most of the areas unless I get lucky, or find some random other way to get some of the more rare items needed. Take the fossil monkey for example, a rare find in Makna Forest, which is needed to get to I think the second level of housing in Colony 6. You can either pray you find one, do enough quests to get your affinity for the town there high enough to trade for one, or find a single random post on the internet that indicates you can get one as a bonus if you trade one person in that village and give them something that is way over the value of what you are getting(seems the item you give needs to be about double the worth of what they have).

Part of my problem is that while I love the story and gameplay of Xenoblade, years and years of countless fetch and grind quests in MMOs have really turned me off of doing them. Of course, this results in me being lower level than I should perhaps be in some areas and I have a tendency to die a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Find the secret area south of the Eks Watering Hole, set the time to 5, and swim in fossil monkeys.

• Locked thread